Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Home Away from Home

Thought I'd give you all a tour of my office & an update on work! It's really, really going well & I'm enjoying it a lot. So far in the last couple of weeks, I have ordered fishing licenses & made travel arrangements for the guys' fishing trip to Louisiana in November. We have an Open House coming up in October & will be inviting about 150 people to tour our new office ( just moved in here a couple months ago), so I'm in charge of coordinating everything with the caterer. We just went to the caterer's Holiday Open House last week, so I'll share some pictures of that with you too in the next week or so. It was fun & tasty!


We are also doing headshots of all the executives & managers in the next couple of weeks, so I'm coordinating the times & all of that with the photographer who will come in the office.


My boss is an Auburn grad, so he gets season tickets to all the home Auburn games. Too bad it's not Alabama, as my hubby would be all over that. I hear there are extra tickets available sometimes, but we won't be using those, I'm afraid. I have found out since moving here that you are either on one side or the other...there is no middle ground. Some families are even divided over football! It's really quite funny.

He's also a season ticket holder for the Birmingham Broadway series. Extras are given to employees, so I've put my name in the hat to go & see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels in November. Not bad perks, don't you think?

I'm also in charge of ordering all the coffee supplies for the office. We have unlimited coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, & assorted juices available in the fridge at all times, so it falls to me to keep things stocked with the guy who comes in every few weeks. When I found out there was no Diet Dr. Pepper (my fave!!), I asked if we could order that & she said, yes...order what you want! So, I got that & some French Vanilla creamers for the coffee drinkers. The Diet Dr. Pepper is already a popular item. I don't take that for granted. Not every office treats their employees so well with an array of beverages handy.

We had a training class last week for 2 days, so since I'm in charge of getting lunches delivered, my rule is...whenever I order lunch for a group, I get to order one for me. Our HR manager totally agrees with that rule & gave me the thumbs up on that one!


So, go on a tour of the office with me....it's a nice place to work! Above is the lobby as you walk in the front door. There's some beautiful antique pieces in there, with antique rugs on the limestone tiled floors. Display cabinet & antique mirror in the lobby, beautiful antique rugs.
This is our Boardroom with limestone & cherry table. And check out the HUGE flatscreen TV above the credenza. We just got Direct TV installed so the guys could have football & sports handy. We also have another smaller conference room on my side with a nice flatscreen too. I can go in there & watch HGTV at lunch if I want to.
And here's my office space & desk. I'm tucked in a nook right outside my boss's office. I have 2 windows, so don't feel closed in at all, but still have privacy. My boss travels & is out of the office a lot.
I was able to claim this lamp & really pretty oil painting for my space. There were extra things in an office & she told me to use what I wanted in there, so I got these & I love how homey it makes my area.
Other side of the wall is a wall of bookcases with some plants and a chair. I have a very nice area! Of course, I do some typing & administrative details too, but that's easy for me. All of that comes naturally, since I've done it for so many years in the past. Oh, and I'm taking a class in October on Creative Newletters, so I look forward to that. I'll be in charge of getting a newsletter going & keeping it updated & sent out. I think that will be fun! I do love to learn new software & enjoy working with graphics.

We just intereviewed & hired a plant company to bring plants in the office & take care of them, so we will be going out next week & shopping for nice planters for them. The HR Manager wants us to shop for them, as she really wants to bring in some nice looking ones. Looks like we are going to be shopping for pottery for our plants this week. Now that will be a fun assignment!

So, that's an update on work. I don't think I could have found anything better suited for me in the corporate world. This office is pretty laid back & not stressful as some situations & offices I've been in. Everyone has been so friendly & welcomed me. I think I'll be happy here for quite some time. Thanks to all of you for asking about my new job. I'm loving it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

45 friends stopped by:

Sandy McTier Designs said...

WOW Rhoda,
I WANT YOUR JOB! What a fabulous office space. It all sounds right up your alley and they are lucky to have you! Hope you have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandy :)

Amy said...

I love your office, Rhoda! It's so neat and well-organized and beautiful! You've inspired me to remake my own office.

xoxoxo
Amy

Betty said...

Rhoda, as we say in the south, "you've got it made in the shade!"

Everything looks so tasteful, co-ordinated, and beautiful as well as the one that sits in that chair with the beautiful jacket hanging on it.

I know you are an asset to your employer.....God Bless, Betty

tammi said...

How wonderful that you've found a job you truly love and that you enjoy the people you work for. You're so fortunate! It sounds like you're absolutely in your element!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour of your beautiful office. Your job sounds like a dream. The perks are great too. Even just the free drinks, that's a big cost savings every day.

Suzanne said...

Wow Rhoda, what a pretty office! And it sounds like a very nice firm to work for too. They are smart to appreciate your talents!

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
Sounds like the perfect job!!
You sound like you are having a great time working there. It is a beautiful environment in which to work. I'm glad for your.
Have a great week, and thanks for sharing with us.
Rosemary

Nunnie's Attic said...

Rhoda,
I love your pictures. I just quit a job that I had for 5 years because I couldn't stand it anymore. So, I know the value of a good employer. I'm new to your blog so I'm not familiar with your site just yet. Where do you work?

Love your blog by the way!
Julie

Julie said...

Playing catch up since I was out of town. Your office is beautiful and it looks like you had a great time yard saleing!

I love my 9-5 job because of the wonderful people I work with. The actual work...well it is a bit boring...but the next time you check out my blog, you will see that I have picked up a part time job as well that is right up my alley!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a nice place to work! You are surrounded by beautiful things home and work, you must be at ease!

TinaTx said...

Looks like you have a very nice place to work. Glad you got your diet dp and French vanilla creamer - those are must haves for me too!

Cindy said...

How nice to work in such a nice office! It's beautiful! I think I need to go clean my desk now...

Alice said...

What a lovely office. It makes such a big difference when the companies we work for go the extra mile for their employees.

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely place to work, and that can make all the difference! Isn't it great to find a job you enjoy? Of course, I especially enjoy my decorating job (that is more like playing!), but I also am involved in my family's business (publishing) so I know what it is like to go into an office and have a desk job!

So happy you like what you do!

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, what a wonderful office to work in. I love hearing that you are so happy in your work. It all looks wonderful.

Cherry xx

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow! What a terrific place to work! I love your blog, I've been enjoying your style for a while now, and look forward to seeing what's new each day!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

thanks for sharing your work day with us...i worked for an auburn-crazed company once...one of our employees was the first mascot...missed you while i was gone...blessings, rebecca

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Yay!! So glad your new job is going so well!! Sounds like fun!!

Jolene George said...

You realy do work in a beautiful place...and any place that will let you have your diet dr pepper is a-okay in my book. I'm sure your boss appreciates you just as much as you appreciate him/her.

Simply Me Art said...

Rhoda, The Office is Beautiful. And I must say it Suits you well... They are Lucky to have you. Have a great Week. Jamie

Elle Jay Bee said...

It sounds like you've found yourself a great job working for and with some very nice people. I am glad you are enjoying it so much.

Thanks for taking the time to visit me...you're a great blogging friend!!

Linda

Susie Q said...

Okay now Rhoda...we are all in serious envy! Such a pretty office and a great staff AND the perfect boss! But then, THEY are lucky to have YOU!!

So glad you are enjoying it so much!

Hugs,
Sue

Justabeachkat said...

Thanks for the tour. Loved seeing the photos and learning a little more about your new job. I'm so glad you're happy there.

Hugs!
Kat

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi Rhoda, I just wanted to tell you that I've awarded you the Nice Matters Award on my blog!......Amanda.

Cottage Contessa said...

Ooopp, I forgot the link to my blog! Sorry.........Amanda.

http://jacarandacottage.blogspot.com/

Steph said...

Sounds like a really wonderful place to work! Love the whole office!

Adriann said...

Sounds like a fabulous job and I love your office space. Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

Your job sounds FANTASTIC! Sounds like you get to do a variety of things and you work with nice people (which is oh so important). What a perfect job for you!

Manuela

Abbie said...

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. unlimited snacks?? Whao!! and you get to do the ordering!! Niiiiiice.
Congratulations again.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Looks and sounds like a great place to work.

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...Wonderful work environment, indeed!! I know you must be very happy there!

Pat

Jill said...

Your office looks great and the job sounds wonderful. It does sound perfect for you.

violetlady said...

Sounds like a very nice job with a comfortable environment. I am sure you are a true asset. Generally speaking, in what field is the company?

savvycityfarmer said...

What a beautiful workspace...You sound so dedicated ...thank you for sharing the tour.

Dana of The Stone Rabbit said...

I just recently found you!!! I have so enjoyed reading about your "finds", decorating and food ideas, and now your wonderful job!! Your new position sounds absolutely wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

I'm so glad your job is going so well for you!
Its really a beautiful office! And sounds like a fantastic place to work.

Kimberly :)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Oh stop! You're making me want to get a job!

Deserae said...

Congratulations on your new job Rhoda!! I'm glad to hear you love your new position so much....what a beautiful office!!!!!!
~Des

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Rhoda,

What a blessing, it sounds as if God has found you the perfect job..you are so well suited to this. And will be such a valued addition to this company, a perfect fit!
Lidy

smilnsigh said...

Dear Rhoda, you commented in my 'smilnsigh' blog, concerning my ongoing 'some can't comment there' problem. You said; "For the most part, I'm not having any now..." Would that mean that some people could not comment in your blog, as well?

I would like to talk to another Blogger user, who conquered this problem. It seems the only way I'll ever be able to do so.

If you did, would you please email me at warrrmmm at yahoo dot com and tell me how?!? Please and thank you.

"Miss Mari-Nanci"

oak wind farm said...

Looks and sounds like a great place to work. What exactly do you do? If explained in an earlier post, please frogive me for asking.

ancient one said...

Nice Place !! I can see why you enjoy your work.

morninglorycottage said...

Rhoda,
Your office looks fabulous! How nice for you to have such an awesome place. Looks like everything is going just fine. They're one lucky company to get you.

Amanda

Tina Leigh said...

Rhoda your boss has called me...said you are doing a terrible job...says your a sloppy worker with no creative ideas...he wants to fire you but doesnt have the heart so he asked me to do it....So your FIRED!!! Now whats the address to that office....I have an interview in the morning!!! lol! I'm so jealous!!!

KristenfromNY said...

Congratulations, Rhoda! Your office is very nice, and it sounds like you are lucky to have found such a great job (and they are lucky to have you!).