Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Forced to Shop

Oh, it was a tough job last week, but I was forced to shop all day! I know...it's really rough, but somebody has to do it. We needed to find some desks for 2 extra offices that we have in our suite, so me & the HR Manager set out to find some. We hit a local furniture place that sells new & used furniture & found the perfect desks to fill these spaces. We are still getting ready for that big Open House next week, so we're trying to get everything in place. We needed a few more pieces to complete our suite. So, we went downtown & to nearby Homewood to a place called SoHo Interiors. This is such an interesting store, so I took some pics to show you around.
Quite the eye candy in here. This place is definitely not thrifty, but fun to look at anyway.
They have very unusual things that you don't see everywhere else.
And they are ready for Fall & getting ready for Christmas.
We loved these Holiday trees and natural green moss balls & I think we'll go back & get a few things for our reception area.

This is tree branches all adorned with Christmas balls. This was so pretty!
More pretty vignettes.
Here's the Christmas table closeup. I just love all of this & am getting more ideas for my own home decorating.
Artichokes and pomegranites....love those too!
Gourds & fruit
Love the aquas in this pic.
This is another store in Homewood called the Royal Standard & they also have some neat things. These are paper mache trashcans & trays with monograms. They were very reasonably priced & I just thought they were the cutest. Wouldn't these make great Christmas gifts. The trashcans were on sale for $21, which I thought was great.
We ended up buying this piece for one of the conference rooms. It was from a store called Harmony Landing. It's a neat store too that I told you about last time I went shopping in Homewood. We were so happy that we found something & got it all done in one day. It really looks great in the space too. You should have seen us loading this in the back of her SUV & unloading it at the office all by ourselves. Girl power!
We went in a warehouse space that was across the street from the office furniture place we went in. They carry all sorts of used furniture too & this was a liquidation sale from the old Tutwiler Hotel here in B'ham. Evidently, they bought all the old furniture in there & are selling it rock bottom. I loved this little nightstand & am seriously considering going back to get one for one of my guestrooms. It's only $19.95, so a great deal & it actually looks like wood. I would paint it black. UPDATE: I went back today & bought this nightstand. It's definitely a real deal! See how many they have?? And they have all sorts of other pieces too like that that are very reasonably priced. I'll let you know if I get it. It would look great painted black. I think it's adorable.
Another update I wanted to share with you....remember the table with chairs that I found for my hubby's office here?? Well, I sold the chairs on Craigslist for $25, so the total for his desk ended up being $25. How's that for a deal?

So, just in case you were wondering....my job is still great! How often can you tell someone that you had to shop all day & get paid for it? I'll take that any day!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 friends stopped by:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ Homewood is one of my favorite ways to window shop. One day we are going to bump into eachother!

Mary said...

Rhoda, what fun! You have a great job! :) I'm going to try making some of those moss balls for Christmas this year.
xoxo,
Mary

Terri Steffes said...

Nice job! I loved the pinecone ornaments and the monogrammed trash cans. It would be fun to fill the can up with goodies for christmas.

I love coming here because I always go away with ideas!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Rhoda,

I'm so glad that you are still enjoying your job. And shopping, well, your boss is smart, he can tell noone has better taste nor can get a better deal than YOU, queen of "great deals"!!

Lidy

Nunnie's Attic said...

I actually clicked on the one picture just to see if I could find a price for that rooster. LOVE IT!

Everything is beautiful and I love they incorporate nature into the decorating.

Love,
Julie

Unknown said...

Now there's the kind of job I want!

Jacki

Unknown said...

Now there's the kind of job I want!

Jacki

Justabeachkat said...

I'm so glad you're still enjoying your job. Loved virtual shopping with you...great photos. I'm beginning to get in the mood for Christmas!!

Hugs!
Kat

PAT said...

Rhoda, I came by here early this morning, then had a call from the Bride right in the middle of my browsing these photos! DARN!

Anyway...I would love to see these places in person. My favorites are the pine cone ornaments and those monogrammed things are wonderful, too!

Pat

tammi said...

Forced to shop, eh? Wow, sucks to be you!!!! Isn't spending other people's money fun?!

Anonymous said...

That is the same thing I think every time I am shopping for a client (she is paying me to do this, yipee!).

Good for you on finding your perfect job!

Love the shops and the neat stuff!

Melissa

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Harmony Landing is the only one of those shops I've been to. I'll have to check the others out! Where's the place selling the Tutwiler's furnitiure?

Anonymous said...

What a fun job! Loved those moss balls and pheasant balls, those monogrammed trash cans are just so fun! Glad you still are liking your job - you do seem to get to do lots of fun things!

Manuela

Alice said...

I love seeing the regional differences between the shops there and here in my area. I've been so taken with Southern style, not to mention food, that I've just subscribed to Southern Living magazine.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Yes, Rhonda, it's a tough job being forced to shop, but someone has to do it. . . : )

Blessings,

Sher

willzmom said...

I'd get that nightstand too! Wow! I tagged you for an I remember when challenge-check out my blog for details.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

shopping on the clock hey...do they have an office in north florida??? i think i can make on of thos silvery Christmas trees with some painted banana leaves...thanks for giving me ideas...blessings, rebecca

Diane said...

Hi Rhoda. Sounds like you had a great day and found some great pieces. How fun! Diane

Midlife Cycler said...

Super pictures....I loved the pine branches in the large floor vase with bulbs...that would be fun some year to do.
What is your job? Mystery shopper??

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda!
Interesting store. It's so nice to find places that don't look like an ordinary showrooms.

That little night stand was a good price and I know it will look great in your home!
Donna

KristenfromNY said...

Rhoda, you have the best stores! I'm sure you will work your magic on that nightstand and make it look like a million bucks. Your job sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

What fun! And I love the chocolate and aqua on the couch in that first picture. And the nightstands. I need some for my house and haven't had time to thrift yet! ARGH! ~A :-)

Julie said...

Cool nightstand - and I like the gourds too.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
I've just recently found you and love spending a day in your life...you are sooooo much fun! Do you mind sharing the name of the place that is selling the Tutwiler furnitur? A good friend and I love to drive from Chattanooga to B'ham whenever we get the chance(and dig for goodies!:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think I'd like your job!


Btw, I need a new nightstand! ;)

Joy

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

So many beautiful things. I like the trash cans. You always have such good and informative posts. Mary

kari and kijsa said...

What a tough job....deciding between all of that fabulous stuff!
Love the holiday decorations!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Unknown said...

Rhoda! LOL! YOu crack me up girly! Love it though the find you found!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Queen of Theme! I absolute will share my furniture source with all of you. It's called Lindsey Furniture & it's downtown on 1st Ave. If you get off of Hwy. 280 going downtown, get off on 1st Ave., turn left & it's about 3-4 blocks down on the right. You'll see a big banner that says Tutwiler liquidation.

The main Lindsey Furniture (office furniture mostly) is across the street from this space. I hope ya'll will let me know if anyone goes & gets some of this stuff. I think it's a great deal & I'd love to share the wealth!

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhoda,

I loved hearing about your mountain roots!!! I always had you pegged as a city girl. Your blog is so enjoyable and informative, I come away inspired!!!

Bless you dear friend,

Vic