Friday, November 9, 2007

Hoppin' John Chowder

I know that many of you like me are on the run & are always looking for quick and easy recipes. I have one for you! Here's another great recipe that a friend at work shared with me, so I'm passing it on to my friends. I know I'm always looking for good recipes that can be cooked ahead I don't know about you, but if I can put something in the crockpot & come home to a good meal, that makes me a very happy girl! This is one of those easy, one pot meals that will have your hubby coming back for seconds. I know mine did! If you like all the ingredients in this, you'll have to try it. I promise...it's so easy & the crockpot does all the work for you.
It's called Hoppin' John Chowder & only has a few ingredients, but they really blend together well for some real comfort food. We finally have a chill in the air & I think that Fall is really here now, so this dish is perfect. It's a bit Cajun & has a little bite, so if you don't like hot things, you will probably want to find a milder sausage and get the mild Rotel tomatoes. We both like things a little spicey, so this was just right for us.


Hoppin' John Chowder


4 cans black-eyed peas
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (they come in mild or regular, which is fairly hot)
1 can beef broth
1 cup water
1 lb. smoked sausage (I used Cajun sausage, Savoie at Publix, but any smoked will do)
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder (I used garlic salt, didn't have the powder)

Throw all of that in the crockpot & simmer for 6 hrs. on low. The last 1/2 hour add 1 or 2 (I did 2) bags of those rice bags (open the bag & dump in) & simmer on high for 1/2 hour. Now enjoy!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

35 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely give this a try with the milder sausage and rotel. DH & I like it spicey but the kid doesn't care for spice (most kids don't). I love crock pot recipes! Saturdays are usually so busy that I try to use my slow cooker on that day. Have you tried Tina's Taco Soup that she posted a while back? Thanks for the recipe and have a great weekend ( I guess you'll be painting!).

Manuela

KristenfromNY said...

That looks yummy, Rhoda. I'll have to try this recipe, it sounds like one my hubby would like too. I've made your banana bread recipe a few times now, and it's great. As always, I enjoy seeing your projects and the eye candy you post.

Unknown said...

This sounds great, I will definately have to try it. Crock pot recipes are the greatest.

PAT said...

This looks great, Rhoda. I love crock pot cookin'!

Pat

Alice said...

They always say we eat with our eyes first. My eyes say YUM!

Sandi McBride said...

Now that is a good looking dish...I love Hoppin John, so this should be a winner!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Mmm some people have it on New Years!

Nunnie's Attic said...

Sounds delish! We like hot things. Well, my husband, oldest son and I do. My youngest son, not as much. So I think I would do one can of each. Now, I don't buy rice bags. But I have both regular and minute rice on hand. Which one is more comparable? Thanks for the recipe!!

Love,
Julie

kari and kijsa said...

I think that I will make that tonight....better start now...I'm off to the store for some ingredients!!!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Anonymous said...

This is very similar to what one of the dishes I serve every New Year's Day. Yummy! Will have to try the soup version....
MimiG

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh YUM! Rhoda, this is right up my alley. Thanks!

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda
My husband & son would LOVE this chowder recipe. It looks delicious!

Rosemary said...

Sounds great Rhoda!
Just the thing for a cold night.
Thanks,
Rosemary

Mary said...

Wow, that sounds delicious! I will definitely try it!
xoxo,
Mary

Cottage Contessa said...

hhhmmmmm looks delicious! I have never owned a crock pot, but I am thinking that I'll have to shake my tail feather and get hopping to the store to buy one asap so I can try this!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Maureen said...

Hey Rho..that chowder sure looks great, as does the spread for your open house! The arrangements are so pretty. I love curly willow! I'm also sucker for olives! We're thinking in the same mode again! Last week I made a big pot of 15 bean soup-the recipe was on the bag that the beans are sold in-Cajun 15 Bean Soup! We ate it for three days! Thank goodness we're not strangers to Beano! :)
Maureen

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

I am always on the lookout for a new recipie and this is one that I know my guys will enjoy. Thank you so much for passing it along!

Hugs,
Dena

Justabeachkat said...

I love using my crock pot. It's so comforting to walk in the door and smell dinner and having it ready quickly. This will be perfect on a cold winter night. Thanks. BTW, did you cook your rice bags first?

Hugs!
Kat

Naturegirl said...

Rhonda any recipe cooked in the crock pot I find delicious and easy!Thanks for sharing this one!hugs NG

Anonymous said...

That looks so delish Rhoda - thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Debra from Bungalow said...

Looks good! I'm always on the lookout for fast recipes. Crockpots are "a good thing." My H would love that!
Hugs, DebraK

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls! I'm sure you will enjoy this one, so give it a try.

Kat, no need to cook the rice, just dump it in uncooked & it will cook that last 30 minutes.

If you have plain rice, I'd say use about 3/4 cup rice. I'm not sure how much are in those rice bags & I usually don't buy them, but did for this recipe, but any rice that you have on hand will work. Just dump it in & let it simmer for 30 minutes on high.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy to me! You know I like quick and easy recipes so I can move on to things that last longer than a meal! I can't bare to spend all day cooking and see it gobbled up in 15 minutes flat! I think meals should take about as long to prepare as they do to eat! But that is just me, the non-gourmet!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Looks great Rhoda. I'll have to try this for my family. Easy Peasy recipes are my favorite. One dish recipes, even better!!

Blessings,

Sher

Terri Steffes said...

I love this recipe and I haven't tried it yet. What a perfect, come-in-from-the-cold recipe!

Anonymous said...

Adding this one to my recipe box, for sure!!!!

xo,
Kim

SarahWhite said...

I have a Martha Stewart recipe for Hoppin' John that I make every now and then for New Years Day. Problem is...it's too darn complicated. So, I tried this yesterday and YES...it is GOOD!! Love that it is put together in less than 3 minutes if you hurry with the chopping of the vegetables. Thanks for sharing these great recipes Rhoda...I'm all about quick and easy!!

Diane said...

Sounds yummy! I will have to give this recipe a try. Thanks, diane

Anonymous said...

Mmmm mmm, that looks good. I just cut and paste and sent to DH, since he does the cooking around here. I bet he'll love something so easy! Thanks!
~Angela :-)

Anonymous said...

Made this recipe Sunday and the whole family loved it. Just used regular smoked sausage and it worked well with the Rotel original tomato. DH loves hot food, the hotter/spicer the better. I asked if he would use the hotter sausage next time and he said he wouldn't change a thing, except maybe brown the smoked sausage alittle first to bring out the smokey flavor. He is the "chef" in the family so I was pleased that I could find something that would get a rave review from him. He also did the shopping with me and we 1 1/2'ed the recipe. Was alittle confused on the 2 bags of rice though, so did our own measurement on that. Thanks for a new dinner idea to put on the table :)!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

This sounds like a great Autumn supper. I believe I'll try it. Thanks for the recipe, Rhoda.

Amy said...

Hi Rhoda,

We had this last night and it was terrific - please keep your recipes coming! I made it with brown rice in the bag.

Thanks to you we now always have our hotdogs with your sauce and you introduced us to Blue Plate mayo :)

Amy

Anonymous said...

Okay, I did this over the weekend and I thought it was fantastic so did my husband and daughter. Thanks for the great recipes. I enjoy visiting your blog it is lovely.

Blanca

Cherdecor said...

Rhoda - I made this recipe today and the family really liked it. I had one problem, we live in the north and I could not find the tomatoes that you used so I substituted Del Monte Tomatoes with Zesty Green Chilies. I can never make a dish to 'hot' for the men who live in this house. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.