Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lighting Finale

Here's where we started......
And, at last, the foyer light fixture is UP! Our neighbors had a ladder tall enough to reach up from the next to the top rung and yes, you guessed it...it was me who climbed up there & did it. Hubby was a good sport and helped me the whole way, since I'm much smaller & more agile than he is, I can get up on the ladder easier. I'm so glad it's done and I really love the changes. I stood on the tall ladder and my hubby had a shorter one right beside me. He was right there with me as I took the old one down (after turning off the power breaker, of course!). After that, it was a matter of balancing with him holding the fixture up for me as I threaded it on the bracket. We had a few little glitches along the way, but hung in there and got it done. I was so relieved when it was up! I almost chickened out once, but my determination won out. Took us about an hour and 1/2 total. Not bad!
You can see the open wall as you come in our frontdoor. It looks directly into the diningroom. Hence, everything has to flow from the moment you step into the foyer.
Both fixtures are pretty and unique and I think they go well together. I'm not into matching everything, so it's fine with me that one is black/rusty iron and the other is antique brass. I like the contrast.
My new Canon camera (A570 IS) just arrived this past week, so I'm going to have some fun with it. These are the first shots I have taken with it and I think I'm going to really enjoy it. It has more bells and whistles than my old HP 2 year old one did. It's amazing how fast camera specs change. I got a great deal on this one online and it has 7.1 megapixels and additional zoom power, as well as lots more features. I'm pleased with these pics so far, set with the Auto feature and I can't wait to play with it to see how much better I can make my photos.

Don't miss the next post down about a birthday celebration...I've posted 2 today!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 friends stopped by:

Dena said...

Wow, that looks so pretty! Love the new one...and I desperately need a Krispy Kreme donut now :)

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Great job !!! I really like the fixture.

You crack me up getting up on the ladder...

Take care,
Kathy :)

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

Rhoda, You have a beautiful home!! I see you love color as I do. I had a great visit. Hope you can visit soon. Connie

Sandi McBride said...

Wow Rhoda, I love it. I love that you do all that hard work yourself, too! I think it's what keeps us young. I refuse to give in or give up...I love the way the wall looks from the front door...to neat!
hugs
Sandi

Abbie said...

I like your new fixture! Aren't helpful neighbors great? :) Enjoy our new camera! Can't wait to see more pics!
~Abbie

Justabeachkat said...

Great job! I know you're so happy to have those jobs behind you though. Seems like I'm always climbing up on ladders for one thing or another.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

Can I ask where you got those stunning dining room curtains? I've been looking for something just like those forever!

Francie

Donna said...

Looks great! It's amazing what we can do when we set our minds to it! Have fun with your new camera!
Donna

Tracey said...

Your pictures look great!

Just stopping by to check in! Sorry it's been a while! Any help from Pam M. that I told you about a few weeks ago?

Hope all is well!

Much love, my friend!
Tracey

Steph said...

Love those new fixtures! You've inspired me, I now need to go out and find something to replace a few of mine1
When you get a minute, I tagged you!

Anonymous said...

You're so brave to get up on a ladder that tall! It looks really good!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Great job Rhoda! I can't believe you got up there and did this yourself. Love how it looks! And your dinner out looks like it was a great time.

Elle Jay Bee said...

It is so true that lighting is the jewellry of the home...they look fantastic!! You should be very proud of yourself for tackling that!!

I absolutely love the red in your dining room...very classy and cozy!!

Linda
xoxo

Esther Sunday said...

Looks super. Love the red transferware touches on your wall. Love, Esther

PAT said...

Looks great Rhoda! I had to give up climbing ladders when I hit 62. That was the year of my last Mural project. I would still be climbing, but vertigo has taken over!

We have a neighbor with one of those tall ladders. Sure comes in handy when changing light bulbs. So far, J is still climbing.

Pat

Mary said...

Rhoda,
You are my hero! I can't imagine getting up on a ladder OR working with electricity. LOL

Love your new chandeliers -- they look fabulous!!!
xoxo,
mary

Maureen said...

From one ladder-climber to another. It all looks great! Stopped by after reading your email about the new camera! The pix look great so far. Those guys moved on you while the (slow) shutter was open, so your camera caught the movement. Kind of cool! You're going to have fun with it. We just ate at a new Hibachi style restaurant that opened near here recently too, and I always enjoy the show!

Rosemary said...

It looks really pretty Rhoda.
I got a new camera for Christmas, and I am still getting use to it.
It has a lot more stuff than my old one.
Enjoy your new one!
Rosemary

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Love the new light fixtures (both of them . . . foyer and dining room.) I sure hope you put in those long lasting 7 year bulbs in the foyer light :)

Good job.

Blessings,

Sher

Deserae said...

Looks great....love the way the lighting fixtures all tie together but are not the exact same finishes!!! As always your home looks beautiful :o)
~Des

kari and kijsa said...

great job on those lighting fixtures!! lovely and definitely worth the effort!!

blessiings,
kari & kijsa

Lana Manis said...

Love the fixture Rhoda!

I wanted to drop by and thank you for entering my giveaway a few weeks ago.

Have a lovely day!

Anonymous said...

Your decorating is such an inspiration to me! I have three children and have let my decorating "fall behind" over the past few years. I am at home full time now (YEAH) and all of my children are now in school. I feel like I can concentrate on decorating again. I enjoy sewing. Do you have any recommendations on where I can find drapery fabrics at a steal? Do you create your own draperies?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Anon! Since I don't have any way to contact you, I'll post back here to your question. Thank you SO much. I am so glad that someone get's ispiration, that is why I love blogging so much. To share ideas & inspiration with each other. I love this stuff, so my enthusiam probably shows.

My mom sewed most all of my window treatments. I have taken her pics and we brainstorm in figuring out how to do something. The DR toile panels were pretty easy, as they are just straight seams. I used one width of fabric per panel & we added the black/tan checked fabric sewed on the top & flipped down as a topper. Added fringe to that & hung it on rings. We did not use a pattern for that. They are not professionally done, but I love them all the same. I think my mom does a great job with her sewing.

I would suggest you try to find a local person in your area who does sewing out of their home. They are usually very reasonable. Look at some of their work to see if you like it. Ask them if they have to work with a pattern or if they can figure things out with a picture. As far as fabrics, I've bought most of my fabrics in local stores. In Atlanta, I had some great sources for fabrics, but in my new city, I don't know all the places yet. There are also some good buys on Ebay or some online fabric stores. Do a search online for fabrics & you'll see many of them. Most offer free samples that they will mail to you. Be sure & get samples before you commit to anything. Start there & you'll be able to get something done. Best wishes to you on your decorating! Feel free to email me if you'd like. I love to get emails from y'all!

Rhoda

Fran said...

I love the new fixtures! Getting something new like that always inspires me to tackle another project.

Krispy Cremes are the best aren't they? When my husband and I got married during his last quarter at Georgia Tech, every night he would take a break from studying and we would go to the Krispy Creme and get hot donuts and milk. The first three months we were married I gain 10 pounds! I wonder why?

Fran

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Everything looks great, Rhoda. I love the way the two of them look together!

Betty said...

Rhoda,
I like all your new fixtures...amazing the difference...Betty

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I want to come drink a cup of tea with you and eat a pastry with you.LOL...Mary

Mrs. Jones said...

Those new lights look great! That's on my to-do list.

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Rhonda,
Glad your lighting project is complete, and it looks beautiful!
Congrats - looks great!
Hugs,

Rose