Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mary in Montevallo

About 35 miles south of Birmingham is a cute little town called Montevallo. American Village is located here, as well as an older college that was founded back in 1896, The University of Montevallo, a pretty college campus that sprawls over 160 acres. I've shown you a few pictures of this area when I wrote about The American Village last year and the countryside down there is just beautiful....peaceful countryside everywhere you look. It's a quaint little Southern town with a wonderful feel of days gone by, a slower pace and small-town charm.
My friend, Mary and her hubby, live in Montevallo and I recently visited her at her home of less than 2 years. I think you'll really enjoy seeing Mary's home. Even though it's a new home, it oozes cottage charm. Mary's done a wonderful job with putting it all together, incorporating her family antiques passed down to her from both grandparents. She has collections of old and new items and the feeling is definitely cozy and cottagey. You would feel right at home in Mary's house. We visited at her house and then had lunch at a new restaurant in the little downtown of Montevallo, the Alabama Coach Company. It's set in an old train depot and we had hamburgers and talked decorating. See above pic. The livingroom is warm and cozy with a chaise lounge in the corner. I love this piece. She said she splurged on the Karastan rug, but otherwise she loves a bargain just like I do.
Mary and her daughter painted this window canvas one day after getting inspired to create something of their own. It's a cute piece that looks great with all of the colors in Mary's home. She recently added some new draperies in the diningroom as well as the livingroom, after I picked up some fabric swatches in Atlanta last fall when I was over there visiting. She had told me she was looking for an inspiration fabric to make some drapes and I came back with several to show her in the colors I knew she was looking at. She found this pretty blue/green/chocolate check and had them made up by a friend who also has her own drapery business. I was anxious to see the drapes in person and they really do make the room.
She made some matching pillows to go in the chocolate leather chairs too. This fabric was really perfect for her room.



View into the kitchen. The paint color is ICI 474 Stone Harbor. It's a taupe shade, but even though her colors are on the cool side, the house is very warm and inviting.
She has many family pieces in her house, including this buffet and mirror that were her grandmother's. She collects shells and has them beautifully displayed here as you come in the frontdoor.
She found this piece of driftwood at the beach and had to bring it home. Next time I'm at the beach, guess what I'll look for?
Here are the diningroom drapes in place. Aren't they beautiful. Just like a ballgown. This pic is dark, but you can see them better in the next pic. They have goblet pleats at the top.
Diningroom table and chairs.

Vignette over the china cabinet. She said the oil painting came from her mom's house and she added the other pieces that she already had. I love how she pulled the old white ironstone pitcher and blue bottle from the painting and put them in front for added effect.
Old telephone table from her grandmother behind the sofa.
She added some pretty stained glass in the windows of the breakfast room.
Her beautiful kitchen.
Cottagey guestroom. This was her furniture when she was a little girl, as well as the cute chandelier.
Note the red/white toile chair.
Guest bath is spa-like with a bamboo Roman shade under a custom fabric covered cornice board that she made. I love the little iron piece used as an accent on front. Bathroom color is ICI 556 Dakota Land.
She used the same fabric stapled over trim that was cut to fit over the mirror. Very clever!
Another guestroom with some custom pillows she sewed.
Covered her grandmother's old rocker with some pretty toile herself.
And here's the master bedroom with soothing blue walls, chocolate browns & creamy whites. Bedroom and bath color is ICI 1444 French Silver.
Along with the up to date gorgeous bathroom in the same shades.
I'm totally going to copy them on the patio that her hubby built out of pavers and pea gravel. Isn't this a wonderful spot for a cool drink outside on the patio? Check out the vintage chairs and glider.
I love this area. She's got some vines growing up on the posts that will eventually cover the top of the arbor.
These pics were taken with my hubby's camera and not my new one.

Hope you got some great inspiration from Mary's house!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 friends stopped by:

Fran said...

I definitely got some inspiration! Beautiful house!

Fran

Jennifer said...

Such a Beautiful home. She has done an amazing job and made it all so homey and comfortable. After seeing her master bedroom I am inspired to get busy on ours! I have saveral aunts and an uncle that live in Montevallo and really love to visit there.
Have a wonderful day,
Jen

Kelly said...

I really enjoy looking at your home..This home is beautiful as well...I was wondering...What is the color of paint in your foyer? It looks really warm and inviting..I'm trying to cozy up my house....

Thanks,
Kelly

Deserae said...

Your friend Mary has a beautiful home! It was very inspirational and I enjoyed the tour! Her drapes in the livng room are just divine!!!!!!!!!!
~Des

PAT said...

I enjoyed the tour of Mary's home and now going back for another look!

Pat

Donna said...

Lovely home, and I love the way she's decorated it. Thanks for the tour!
Donna

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a beautiful house tour to get me motivated to work on my own house! :-)

Happy day Rhoda!

xo

Nunnie's Attic said...

It's definitely beautiful and that's the 3rd time I have seen blues and browns and considered it for my bedroom. I love it.

Love,
Julie

Michelle said...

Your friend Mary's house is like a treat for the eyes - thanks so much for the tour! Her kitchen cabinets are very similar to ours :) I especially love the shabby chic window above the bed!

Have a great day, Rhoda!

~Michelle

kari and kijsa said...

What a lovely home..sounds like a beautiful place!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I want to live there. LOL Beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures...Mary

Rosemary said...

What a pretty home Rhoda!
I love the colors and textures.
It's so cool that she still has her childhood furniture.
Thanks for sharing,
Rosemary

Free Art Printables said...

What a beautiful house!!! There are some great inspirations and ideas! Thanks for sharing!
Jen R

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Glad you had fun.

Carol Bennett said...

How very pretty! Thanks for taking us on tour!
Carol
http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

willzmom said...

Thank your friend for sharing her home with us-it's so pretty. I love her color choices.

Sandi McBride said...

Thanks to you and Mary for sharing. I see you're still enjoying retirement...maybe you have another career in your future!
hugs
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Beautiful home, but I like more color on my walls.

Anonymous said...

I love the dining room drapery!I'm in Montevallo often. There are some beautiful homes there. When you visit again, check out the McKibbon House. It's a bed and breakfast in Montevallo that has been lovingly retored. I shot a wedding there, so got to see all of it.
Here;s their site:
www.mckibbonhouse.com

Vonda said...

Wow what a beautiful home your friend has! Love that kitchen...our kitchens are so doggone small here in Germany and can't wait to get back to The States to have a REAL kitchen. Glad you had fun visiting Mary! -V

tammi said...

Mental note: Must add Montevallo to 'places to visit before I die' list! I visited the link you provided and spent a bit of time sight-seeing there. What a beautiful town!!! Almost nothing in Canada can compare with that kind of charm and history!! And given the temps we've been experiencing, now would be a perfect time to go....

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

She has done a wonderful job.
My kids graduated from Montevallo High~ I guess that makes me an official Montevalloean. If you've driven in the fire day parade its official!

Are you wearing red today?

Carrie said...

Thank you for taking such detailed photos of Mary's beautiful house. It does inspire using family heirlooms in lovely new fabrics.

Tara said...

Thanks for the tour--I love a peak into other people's homes because you say, Hey, I can do that!!"

Julie said...

It is funn to take a peek into others homes and see how they decorate. Thanks for sharing!!

dana's design studio said...

I am not sure my last comment went through...so here I go again.

Loved so many things in this blog. The trim around the bathroom mirror reminded me of a project I did. I added mdf decorative molding to a plain mirror. To avoid making those tricky angled corner cuts, I used rosettes for the corners. So the long pieces only needed straight cuts with a handsaw. I put in place with liquid nails. Don't put the glue too close to the edges or the glue can be seen in the mirror.

Adding trim to a plain mirror can give such a custom look.

PS. sorry about messing up your name. I like Rhoda much better anyway.

Again, love this post...call anytime for tips on setting-up a design business. (314-652-1759)

Dana

Julie L. Light said...

Oh my goodness! I had that same bedroom furniture when I was a little girl...full size bed, too, lol! I enjoyed this tour...thank you!

Best Wishes,
Julie