Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Brown House

After hearing about The Brown House, I finally looked it up and stopped by for a visit and am I glad I did! It's a charming and yes, brown house in Homewood, that cute little area of town that I told you about last summer.
It's a shop in a charming cottage and they have lots of English ironstone, antiques, pottery, and more. You would all love it, I'm quite sure!
Here's the side porch. Doesn't it look welcoming?
What a cute place! And wait til we go inside.
Real antique English ironstone. I think these sorts of pieces are way out of my budget, but it sure is fun to look. I'll keep collecting my yardsale pieces and they will have the same effect sitting on my shelves. English ironstone sure is pretty though!

On display are lots of pretty shells and coral, which really caught my eye.
Blue and white, more antique transferware.
I loved this little window and how the sun was coming in at just the right angle to show off these blue and white dishes.
More huge shells in a metal basket.
They feature pottery made in Mound Bayou, Mississippi, called Peter's Pottery. I had never heard of it, but it's very pretty and I loved the shapes and glazes on them. The prices were actually not bad on these pieces. Handmade pottery has always drawn me in. I think I'll have to save my pennies and get one of those bunnies.

Look at all the animals and shapes on these cute covered dishes. More vignettes around the store, at every turn.
They specialize in English brown and white transferware too. Oh, if only I had this much display space. I love the brown and white!
This was such a gorgeous scene right in the window.
More shells on a rustic wall shelf.
Red and white transferware.
Antiques and collectibles.
Brown and white transferware closer.
More English ironstone.

Hope you enjoyed this tour of The Brown House. I will definitely go back and look again. It's a feast for the eyes!
We had such a fun time with the makeup & hair post, so I will do another topic on beauty again! Thanks for all the participation on that one.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

Vonda said...

Oh I just miss these great little places to shop in the South! Can't wait to come home for good! And girl I'm gonna come to see you when we get back to The South! ;) -V

The Tomball Three said...

I love love love the red and white dishes. I love toille and anything that even slightly resembles it. I have somehow snuck two pieces into the house and I don't think he's really noticed yet- so I'm hoping to get more in soon!

Thanks for sharing. I am originally from Charleston and this reminds me SO much of home!

Terri Steffes said...

This is such a delightful place. Thank you for sharing it with us. I would never get to see this darling home without you!

Deb said...

What a gorgeous little shop filled with treasures. I really enjoyed the tour.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

All that transferware! How beautiful. It looks like a really nice place to shop. Thanks for the tour.
Penny

Judy said...

I'm definately going to go to the Brown House next time I'm in B'ham for a day. I meant to comment on the makeup post but haven't had the time yet. I do love the Wet and Wild stuff tho!

Judy

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I just love all the transferware, I don't know which is my favorite color..one is more charming than the next. Thanks so much for sharing the pics.
I also am going to try to replicate the orchid and bird vignette in the ironstone bowl. I think I have everything to copy it. Never would have thought of putting all those elements together.
Thanks again...

violetlady said...

Hi, Rhoda,
Thank you for sharing this wonderful little shop with us. I have a small collection of red and white and blue and white transferware. The problem is display space, of course. I think I will take a photo of the red and white and put in on my blog. Thanks for the idea!

Ruey said...

Ho Rhoda~
Thanks so much for welcoming me into blogland. It IS nice to see we share the same blogging buddies. The store in your pictures is awesome! I especially love the stand with the seashells on it ...just beautiful. Looking forward to stopping by again! xxxooo Ruth

Justabeachkat said...

Sure wish we had visited it when all the "B's" went to Homewood. What a cute place! Maybe next time?

Hugs!
Kat

Julie said...

I have been away covering a horse show - so I am playing catch up on my favorite blogs today... Thank you for the shopping tour - those are so much fun...but I have to say that I do love your post on how you met your husband... very real and honest story!

Kelly said...

I love stores like that! It looks so cute!!!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a great shop! I would love to run a little place like that!

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

I'm familiar with Peter's Pottery. There is an antique store here that carries the whole line. The potter comes here occasionally and signs the pieces. I like it, but have never bought any. I just don't have room. If I decide to start a pottery collection, I will probably buy Vicki Carroll.

Donna said...

Oh what a great place to shop ~ I love places like that. Thanks for the tour!
Donna

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
I loved the tour. That is my kind of place. So quaint and cozy. Loved that side porch.
Thanks for sharing,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I must be missing that style gene. I could see the same items, arrange them and they would not look as beautiful as the images do in your blog. That's why I love coming here.

Barbara Jacksier said...

You've made up my mind for me. Once my son graduates from college in California and I stop spending all of my time and money heading west, I definitely will do an extended southern tour.

Southern Heart said...

Oh Rhoda, this is just the type of shop I love! I think that I would just say "one of each, please!". :) What a find!! I especially love the transferware.

Cottage Contessa said...

What a lovely place to see! Thank you for the tour, there were so many beautiful things in there!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

morninglorycottage said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for taking us on the "field trip" to the Brown House. What fun! What a cute shop. We used to have an area similar to that in our town, but the center of town has really moved and a lot of the little shops have closed. I miss it. Was great to catch up on your blog.

Angela said...

Oh my!!! They have some really wonderful looking goodies in there:-).
Thanks for sharing..
We'll be in Bama this coming weekend. I wish I had time to go to this place.

Unknown said...

Love this store! Gosh! How lovely! Thanks for the lovely photos. Need a hug come over and take a peek at my blog...I think it will make you smile!
Hugs,:)
Robyn

PAT said...

I've always loved white ironstone, but lately I've fallen in love with brown transferware, also. These photos are great. The shop reminds me of Old House in Hog Hollow, in Chesterfield Missouri. It's larger, but the ambiance and merchandise is similar.

Pat

Ruth Welter said...

Great shop Rhoda, thanks for the tour.

Bebe said...

Hi Rhoda,

Oh, I just love going to shop with you! This place looks charming ~ I wouldn't mind spending some time enjoying everything there! I love the blue/white transferware!!

(((HUGS))),
Bebe :)

Loved reading the story about how you met your husband, too!

Dena said...

What a wonderful place! I just love that brown transferware and the two urns on the porch are calling to me. Thanks for the tour :)

Hugs,
Dena

Sandi McBride said...

Lovely photos Rhoda, as usual. I love English Ironstone, too. I can see you are enjoying your retirement!!! Good for you!
hugs
Sandi

Free Art Printables said...

What a great, little store! By the way, I love the background!
JEn R

Jenny said...

I love to shop in little places like this. We live in Georgia so we have quite a few and it is a favorite date day for us!

I loved the visuals on your sight, just wonderful!

Deserae said...

Oh be still my heart.... What a great little shop!!!!! Thanks for the little tour :o)
~Des

Tara said...

What a great place to shop, I think I would have tried to spend a fortune!

Of course, I am also eyeing your greenery in the pics--so cold here it is nice to see!

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Valentine's Day sweet friend!

Hugs!
Kat
(come to my place for 2 new awards)

Tonja said...

*********** "B" CLUB BABBLE******

May all the love you show today

Come back to you in the nicest way!

LOVE

Tonja

Carrie said...

Thanks for taking us along on your visit to the Brown House. Very lovely things.
Carrie

Beth Leintz said...

Oh I love brown & white transferware, too. What a great shop! Thanks for letting us "window shop" on line!

Sue said...

What a lovely little shop. Love the blue and white and the bunnies.

Monach01 said...

I enjoyed my virtual visit of The Brown House. How beautiful you have made it. On your website you mentioned if you collected pottery it would likely be Vicki Carroll - I picked up a couple of pieces by her at a yardsale and know nothing about this artist other than she hails from MS. Do you know of a website that will give me more information and possibly a dirrectory of her patterns? I'd very much appreciate the info. Monach01