Monday, February 4, 2008

Creating a Cozy Den

Den, before we moved in.....click all pics to enlarge.

Another room in our home that was fun to put together is our downstairs den. The livingroom with fireplace is just above this room, same footprint. I knew when we first looked at the house that this room would be perfect for my entertainment center & chocolate brown leather loveseat, just as the upstairs greatroom with the fireplace would be perfect for the more formal furniture that is up there. I wanted the feel of this room to be more casual cozy, a place to kick back, relax and watch TV. Those 2 pieces were my starting point for this room, so I thought you might enjoy seeing the process I go through to put together a complete and finished room.
This rug was one of my first finds for the room, a great buy at TJ Maxx, all wool (8x11 for $200). I loved all the colors in it & knew I wanted to bring some blue in the den, so it was a perfect find. I already had the brown leather loveseat, the entertainment center & then added the rug to the mix. This rug was the jumping off point for bringing all the other fabrics in here. And, I might add, this is the first time I've let a rug dictate my choices for fabrics. Usually it's the other way around & I have the furniture pieces before I choose a rug, but I hear all the time about choosing a rug first. This is just the only time I've ever adhered to that "decorating rule" since I happened upon a rug I couldn't pass up. My motto is...rules are meant to be broken & I do it all the time. As in, I mixed this contemporary ottoman in with my traditional furniture. I fell in love with it after seeing it on the floor at Macy's. It has 4 pullout trays all around the sides that I knew would come in handy for drinks and mixing contemporary and traditional is done all the time now.
I had always wanted chocolate brown leather & so I bought this loveseat for my den in Georgia. I knew I would always be able to use it in a familyroom setting. Next, I spotted these window treatments in a catalog called, The Company Store. They were on sale and I got them both for less than $100. They are not lined, but I loved the fabric & knew they would look great with this rug. Again, it was a good hunch & I really like them in here. They are on a simple metal rod hung with rings. Oh, and the rod was found at a yardsale too, can't remember how much, but very cheap. If I remember right, it was gold & I sprayed it black to work in here. I start to lose track after awhile of just what I've done to things. Floor lamp was a yardsale find for $3.00, lampshade came from Walmart. Ceilings downstairs are 8' while the upstairs is a loftier 9'. This is the first time I've ever had 9' ceilings & I really do enjoy them upstairs.
These 3 pillows were yardsale finds, $12 for all three (they were custom made by someone). They had all the colors in the rug, so were a perfect complement to the room. The lidded pottery vase in the window was also a yardsale find for $5. I later found the candlesticks on closeout at Hobby Lobby & they look like they came together. Candles were found at Hobby Lobby too (1/2 price of course!).
A yardsale find, this little desk is tucked into the corner beside the entertainment center. Paired with a wicker chair that was painted black & a leopard print yardsale cushion, it's a perfect little spot to accesorize & it fills up the corner very nicely. That's a woofer speaker underneath in case you were wondering.
There's one of my yardsale lamps that I picked up for $5, as well as the oil painting above it. It was also $5, I just had to get it framed and I found that wooden brown frame on closeout at Hobby Lobby for $5 too. The faux hydrangeas were also a yardsale find, as was the large finial.
This piece is older Henredon & was a pretty shade of stained wood, but I decided it was a good candidate to paint black & use a little gold Rub NBuff on the legs to bring out the detail. It has such lovely details & now they show up very well. Those are faux books on the desk.
Entertainment center was purchased when I was living in GA & it has served me well too. This is where my shell collection is hiding, on the glass shelves. The clock ($5) and iron/wood wall hanging ($3) are from yardsales too. Many of these accessories I already had, so I just reused them. Many came from yardsales, especially the things on top & on the shelves. I love moving things around from room to room & adding in those yardsale finds are a great way to add personality to a room. Almost every item on the top came from yardsales over the years.
Entertainment center shelves with my aqua blue and seashells. The rug has some aqua blue in it, so I wanted to bring in this shade to my accessories. I love how it looks with the shells. More shelves
Top of Entertainment center. Most all of these newly added aqua pieces came from yardsales.
So, the only 3 pieces I bought to finish pulling this room together (other than a few accessories) is the reclining chair (by Lazyboy), the gold chenille sofa (by Rowe), and the chocolate brown round leather ottoman (by Bernhardt). The color in here is by Sherwin Williams, called Believeable Buff. It's on the same color strip as my gold color upstairs, Whole Wheat, and is one shade lighter. It works well in this lowlight room to bring some warmth in here. Oh, and see that cute little end table. Found it deeply discounted for $100 at a local furniture store. I knew it would look great with my entertainment center, so I put it in the frontseat of my car & brought it home. I was right, it worked great. It's really wood too, which I always look for. The metal lamp I've had for many years & it started out gold finish, so I painted it to a bronzey tone. Added the new shade from JoAnn's. Our house is a split foyer & here you can see the stairs coming down from the foyer, as well as a glimpse of the stairs going up to the greatroom. Just to give you an idea of our floorplan. You can also see a peek of my office nook through the doorway there. That's where I hang out a lot & visit all of you! The laundryroom is just beyond my office nook. There's another bedroom & full bath down here too, so it makes for a nice space when we have company visiting. Also notice the botanical grouping on this far wall, which you'll see closer. I'd love to add a long bench under these one day when I find the right one. Here are the botanicals up close. I got these off of Ebay for a great price & had them framed at Hobby Lobby by buying their open frames for 1/2 off, then adding the mats & glass. Very economical way to frame a pic. Shelves were also from Hobby Lobby, 1/2 price. I've started back with my shell collection in the last few years & have found many of these at yardsales too. The big "M" also was 1/2 price at Hobby lobby. I painted it darker bronze.
Overall look at the room. Hopefully this will give you some ideas on putting a room together. Large map print over the sofa came from Homegoods for around $80. Again, the major 3 pieces for this room were the recliner chair, sofa, & leather ottoman. I shopped around until I found pieces that fit the budget & then special ordered both the chair & sofa, so I picked the fabrics for them. I decided this stripe on the chair would be a great complement to the rug & that meant that the sofa needed to be a solid.
One very important decorating tip for you: I have learned over the years to keep large items of furniture solid & neutral & if I really want print accent fabrics, to use them on a smaller piece, like a chair or pillows. It's worked out well for me, so I think I'll stick to that rule. This sofa fabric will be very versatile with many other fabrics down the road, no matter how I change out the window treatments, rug, or even the chair.
EDITED TO ADD: A couple of people asked about the furniture arrangement being towards one end of the room & the reason for that is that to the left of the botanical prints and to the right of the entertainment center is the door leading to the garage, so that is why the room appears to be stacked towards the window side of the room. It was done intentionally, as there is a natural pathway from the bottom of the stairs over to the garage door. That traffic pattern has to be kept open. I do realize that the wall on that end looks a little bare from the pics (but not so in real life) and one of these days I will find a nice long bench to go under those botanical prints. Have to keep that traffic pattern open. Just wanted to clarify that!
Hope you enjoyed the tour of our cozy den! And maybe that will give you an idea of how I pull together a room. Some people get stuck in the planning mode, but if you have a starting point, think things through, then you can add all the elements in one at a time until you have a room you will enjoy living in with your family. I've really enjoyed how this room came together.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

51 friends stopped by:

KristenfromNY said...

Hi Rhoda. Although I've seen your decorating skills at work for years on GI, I certainly never tire of seeing more! I really enjoyed your detailed post. I have always been impressed with your ability to put a fabulously decorated room together - and on a budget! I don't post often, but I come by from time to time to read your blog. Thanks for the eye candy! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the tips Rhoda. The room looks great. I really need to start going to yardsales and look for things that can be used as fillers in my house. I love that you find things and create different uses for them. I've never thought about changing the finish on things like lamps. Makes sense - that way if I find something that I like but the finish isn't what I want, I can change it.

Kristi said...

I am AMAZED at how big the window looks after you decorated!! Of course the entire room is great and thanks for all the detail descriptions.

Check out our new paint in our family room. I'm not as good at decorating as you, but I think the paint makes a huge difference. I also don't have all the window treatments and decor back up yet in the pic. I'll be getting a new fire screen and decorative pottery platter from SLAH that I got highly discounted because I had a party. They will go in that room. The fire screen was practically free!

Rhonda said...

Thanks for this great tip, Rhoda
It might be the best decorating advice I have ever heard

" keep large items of furniture solid & neutral & if I really want print accent fabrics, to use them on a smaller piece,"

Sandy said...

I love your cozy den! Cozy is right! Don't you just love TJ M?
Hey, come on over and see my GIVEAWAY!
Sandy

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a wonderful room. I especially love the red pottery vase and the chair and your desk. What great accessories :-)

Free Art Printables said...

Rhoda, everything looks great and so well put together. I love the yard sale signs your put in there too... I LOVE TJMAXX HOMEGOODS!!!!
Jen R

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You have such wonderful taste!
I love seeing what you find and then how you use it. I know where to go if I am needing advice.

Tara said...

Rhoda

I loved evry minute of this tour! Your taste is wonderful, your home echoes the realxed quality of your blog--so warm! Enjoy it!
:0)
Tara

Michelle said...

Hi Rhoda, What a beautiful room! I always love seeing your decor - you've got such great taste...sophisticated and classy!

Have a wonderful week!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandi McBride said...

Rhoda, the rooms are so lovely. Don't you just feel wonderful when just what you're looking for falls into your lap? I love it when a plan comes together!
Hugs
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Rhoda it all looks so pretty and put together. You are truly a talented lady who loves her home and it shows. I've been visiting your blog for a long time and enjoy it very much. Thanks for sharing.Lucy

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive so many of your aqua blue pieces were yard sale finds. They all go together so well and look like they have always belonged together!!! I have to start going to yard sales more. Thanks !!!

BethAnne said...

Hey Rhoda, I found you through Janel. I love your room - it looks very inviting. We are building a house (east TN) and I think I need you to come and help decorate! :-)

Katrina Chambers said...

Hello, This room is wonderful, cozy and definitely somewhere to relax. I love how you have mixed and matched :)

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I really like the den.It is simply stunning!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Rhoda! You do such a great job!

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Lots of clutter in some places and then the other areas are drab.

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your home is so cozy and warm. I love it. You have done a wonderful job.
Thanks for all of your wonderful tips.
Rosemary

Tina Leavy said...

lovely room.

Indigo Robe said...

Ohhh that was fun!!! Thank you for the tour! I just love your home and visit your blog daily for inspiration. I am amazed at the wonderful finds you get at yard sales.

I still love your toile guest room the best. I will be booking my vacation for summer. HAHA... just teasing. But love the black bed, the toile, etc.

Thanks again for the tour! Have a wonderful week!

Shirlee said...

What a great room to kick back in and watch TV, a movie or spread out a game board on the ottoman (I love that piece BTW).
I'm impressed by your shell collection too, my faves are the starfish. :)

morninglorycottage said...

Hi Rhoda,
Was great to stop by and get caught up on what you've been doing. Your den is just great. You have such a knack for pulling things together. Your home is certainly gorgeous and you should be proud of all your hardwork. Congratulations on one year of blogging.

Cottage Contessa said...

Thank you so much for this wonderfully informative post. Your tips and ideas are terrific. I just may be knocking on your blog door for advice before too long if that's ok? You've got such a lovely home!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Jen Kershner said...

Your room came together beautifully. I'm amazed at how much you have done in that house in such a short time.

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Looks great Rhoda, I must say that I love the botanical prints, LOVE THEM. Great job!
Hugs,
Rose

Deb said...

Such a gorgeous room Rhoda. TJ Maxx was one of my favourite stores to shop when we lived in Michigan - great bargains :-}

Anonymous said...

Hi

Just found your blog. Nice job on the room. Have you ever thought about putting the amoire on the opposite wall amd the desk down near the prints ? The room would not be so heavy at one end that way !!!

Susie

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda...your leather love seat looks identical to my couch...don't you LOVE it? I love your cozy den!
Hugs,
Robin

Alice said...

I always love the tours of your beautiful home, Rhoda. Your den is so warm and inviting. I always look to you for decorating ideas and advice. I especially appreciated your words to stop planning and planning and get on with doing.

Cathy said...

Rhoda,
What a gorgeous den! I love it. I've been reading your blog for sometime now and know you refinished a lot of the metal and patina's in your home. I recently purchased a large mirror from Home Goods and would love to change the silver-y/gold finish to more of an aged bronze. I considered using Modern Options products so my question is, should I spray primer it first or leave it alone and apply the solution? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jen said...

We just recently re modeled our new home we bought in June. The front Living room only has a pine colored armoire in it. And a small table. I havent bought furniture....which I was just going to purchase a small couch and chair and ottamon. What colors would you go with? We are not in there alot and I have animal prints to which I want to use...browns and blacks....any ideas would be appreciated.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

I love how you find these great buys and put them all together. I love how it all looks. You have such a gift of putting making a house look so homey.

Carolina Mama said...

Hi Rhonda, just popping over to say, "Happy Mardi Gras!" ;) Love all the pics, so hard to pick my favorite, the Henredon is really cool with the print seat! And the shells.... I could go on and on. THanks for sharing. Do you have a great Spagetti reciep? :) Just wonderin' - have a great day!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

a not so witty reply here...love the room and everything you have been up to while i was awol...thanks for sharing...hugs, r

Anonymous said...

OH I LOVE your blog! I am soo inspired~and I NEED it in the area of homemaking! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Anonymous said...

Another great room in your beautiful home! That coffee table with the pull out drawers is so cool! What a neat find! TJ Maxx is the best - I think I could always find something to buy there!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips on that recipe. I didn't think of the side bar. :) Thanks for sharing too.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful transformation. It all looks so cozy too. I love the writer's desk and all the pretty details.

PAT said...

Looks wonderful Rhoda! I love the way you put a room together!

Pat

Esther Sunday said...

One word here - perfect!!!! Love, Esther

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Every inch of your home is just eye candy!! It's really beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it in such detail!

Sandi McBride said...

Just checking in to say hope the storms miss you, saying a prayer for your safety
hugs
Sandi

Tonja said...

Great ideas, Rhoda! I love how you put it all together!

Jill said...

Loved this little "how-to" lesson. We are getting ready to replace carpet with hardwoods in our living room and I am dreading finding an area rug.

Mrs. Limestone said...

Great job on warming up the room and making it your own. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Ruth said...

Rhoda,
I just LOVE your Blog! I will have to come by often to get to see everything! You are definately listed on my Blog favorites! WOW! I could spend all day here! BEAUTIFUL! And so much to see and read!

janet said...

OH WOW, im in awe!!! love this room and i really love what you have done in the corner with the little black desk. I absolutely love your style and i get the feeling from your pictures you go with what you love, not all about design rules and that is what im trying to avoid. I became hooked on design shows, mags and sites but i started to lose sight of what i really loved and our home started to become about what would be seen as correct.
thank you so much for the inspiration and for sharing, perhaps now i can get at putting together the top of my new little cabinet. I only got as far as the new mirror and a new lamp the other day, but i was so worried about adding to much...NOT NOW!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Your decorating is wonderful. I particularly like the painted desk. It looks fantastic! I have several pieces that are in excellent shape and have good bones but are outdated colors. I've been thinking of painting a couple of them and now you've given me the inspiration to do so.

Leplusjeune

www.remodelle.net

Suzann said...

This room is wonderful. I love the light colored sofa mixed with the brown leather and the ottoman is a perfect addition as well.
You truly have an eye for detail. Everything flows so seamlessly and I love how nothing is matchy matchy. You are definitely talented!