Friday, February 8, 2008

Estate Sale Goodies


ESTATE SALE
The sign caught my eye as I was heading to the gym last Saturday morning. OK, I thought...I'll check it out on my way back home, as you know I can't pass up a sign like that. I drove up and parked, got out and went in the house. It was obviously owned by some older people. Most everything was old and shabby looking and not in a good way. I didn't see much of anything that caught my eye, except this cute soup tureen for $2. I needed that for my creamware collection. This is my first soup tureen and after seeing some of your collections of tureens out there, I would say this won't be my last, if I'm lucky enough to find more.
Maybe I can serve soup in this one day.
And then I spotted this pair of pictures in a back bedroom. I absolutely do not need them, but the colors called out to me & I had to take them home. They were $4 each.
They are obviously old and are marked Bernard Picture Company, NY. The colors are what drew me in. According to Ebay, they are not worth much, probably what I paid for them, but I loved the vintage feel of them. I think they're from the 50's. So, I painted the frames black (left the raised inside part white) and decided to hang them in my office nook, right outside the laundryroom.
The colors go so well with both my office nook and the laundryroom, so now this wall is filled too. I don't have much wall space left. I think I will really enjoy looking at them every day and wanted to share, since I figured y'all would enjoy seeing my finds too. Yardsale season is right around the corner in our area! Oh, boy....

Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

There are several estate sales in the STL area on Wednesdays. With J retired, I should try to see if we can get to a few this year. We have friends who have told us, they prefer estate sales to garage sales. I like 'em all!

Great finds, Rhoda! That soup tureen is a gem!
Pat

Anonymous said...

Great finds...I love how you left that bit of white surrounding the pictures...makes the picture pop.

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures you got! They have just the right shade of green in them and I love the big oversized flowers! You have the greatest laundry room. Mine's in the garage. Love the soup tureen - I have yet to actually serve soup in one of mine LOL! I just like the look of them.
Wonderful finds!

Have a good weekend - it looks like the weather will be pretty good!

Manuela

Kelly said...

Those pictures look PERFECT where you hung them! Love them!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Great finds. They look so good with the frames painted black. The colors are perfect :-) Rosie

Sandi McBride said...

I love the soup tureen Rhoda...but then they're my "thing". The pictures are beautiful, I don't blame you for not being able to leave them! Good color choice on the frames.
Have a lovely weekend, TGIF!
Sandi

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the tureen. Those prints are great too! They look perfect where you have them.
Penny

Annie said...

Rhoda-
You always find the greatest deals! I love those prints, they are so fresh and 'spring-y' looking! I am sooo looking forward to yard sale season...

Maureen said...

Really pretty find Rho!They really work well in this space and add a breath of Spring!

Shirlee said...

I would have grabbed both the tureen and pictures too. You certainly can't beat the prices.
The pictures look great where you hung them. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! More great finds! I think I am going to have to get back into estate sales this spring. I WANT more stuff for my walls!

Hope you are enjoying your freedom!

xo
Melissa

Zaankali said...

I can't believe how different they look after just painting the frame black. I really like the change. My mind wouldn't have even gone there. I guess I need to think outside the box more.
Smiles!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

You always find the best things. I think the pictures look great and they look really good where you have them.

Anonymous said...

$4 each! Four dollars each? That is great! They are beauties and they look like they always belonged where you placed them. What a find! Kim.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda you are the deal queen ... what amazing finds!
xo
mary
hoganfe handbags

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Great finds Rhoda. Those don't even look like the same pictures since you painted them black. Sure updated them. They look great.

Blessings,

Sher

Indigo Robe said...

WOW! What a wonderful difference you made by painting the frames black! Love it!!

Jen said...

I love estate sales too. I just dont have time to go with a 2 year old. My 10 year would probably go. We do however love yard sales though....Miller is better at those.

Rosemary said...

Very nice finds Rhoda.
The prints look great, and I love the colors.
I can't wait for yardsale season.
It's starting soon.
Have a great weekend,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

You must have a magnet in your brain that automatically pulls you to such incredible deals. I've honestly never seen anyone with find amazing objects d'art with such regularity. What IS your secret, girl?

Sandy said...

Hi Rhoda - I have a soup tureen that looks almost identicle. FUN. I love, love, love the new pictures in your kitchen.
WOO HOO Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

I frequent your blog...like 4 or more times a week but I usually don't leave comments...but today I had to.

Those pictures are so great!!! I have a couple of prints that I have been debating on whether or not to paint the frames black. I was thinking about it this morning as a matter of fact. After seeing how fantastic your floral prints now look I am sold.

I love when you post on your finds and how you add your personal touches to them. Keep 'em coming. I am loving it.

Tasha
new4younow@hotmail.com

Meredith Uber said...

Hi Ronda,

Love your site, you stopped by mine last week, that's how I found you. Love all your pics!

Becky K. said...

Ooohh...I am going to have to begin tucking away a little change for the upcoming yard sale season... and while I am at it...start getting rid of a few things to make some room!
I love your finds!
Becky K.

Anonymous said...

glad you found your first soup tureen it is beautiful. I know you will serve some amazing soups in it. The pictures match in that area great.

Free Art Printables said...

Love these finds! I love the floral pictures. With vintage it's great how what is old is new again.
You have sucha great eye!
Jen R

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just found your blog. I am an artist living in New Bern N.C. By the way, I live around the corner from Nickolas Sparks. He jogs through our neighborhood daily. I can't say he is very friendly though. Anyway, just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed my visit.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, Love the flowers and how much better they look with the frame black. Love the soup toureen too, you find the best things and I can't wait for yard sale season to begin too.

Enzie Shahmiri said...

I have found your blog through My One World - One Heart Giveaway and wanted to invite you to visit my blog.

I am having a give away of an original pen and ink drawing for my One World-One Heart Give Away

Simply Me Art said...

Adore the finds. Like how you painted the frames black, makes the painting really POP.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda!
I'd love to hear your plan and schedule for homekeeping - your house always looks so clean and perfect in the pictures - how do you find the time?!

Warmly,
Amy

Abbie said...

Hi Rhoda,
What marvelous finds! the pair of pictures look fabulous where you put them!
Thank you for sharing!
xoxo~

Lallee said...

Rhoda, the soup tureen is really nice, but I love the flower prints. They remind me of some barkcloth curtains my mother had in the 50's. They look really nice where you hung them.

Carrie said...

Wonder finds -- especially the soup tureen. The two framed pieces work really well with the black frames.

Debra from Bungalow said...

You're gonna think I'm nuts....I had a dream about this tureen. I dreamt I was in a thrift shop & spotted a beautiful tureen, I went to get it & someone had just picked it up! I was so disappointed! Now I'm visiting Southern Hospitality & there it is! Great finds!
:) Hugs, DebraK

Justabeachkat said...

Love, love, love those pictures! I can see why you snapped them up. And they look perfect in the spot you hung them.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Awesome finds Rhoda! I love those pictures!!! Really like where you hung them! Great tureen too!
I love it when you get to go 'saling.. so much fun to see your fab finds!

xo,
Kim