Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Piecrust Table

The March issue of Traditional Homes magazine had an interesting article about piecrust tables. I have a fondness for antique tables of all sorts and would have more scattered about the house if I had more room. Something about those little side tables just catches my eye when I'm out there browsing. The details, patina of the wood, and the uniqueness of them are just beautiful and I would love to have more.
From Traditional Home...."An 18th century classic, the elegant tea table, distinguished by a round, scalloped top (not unlike a dessert pie) has been gracing fashionable drawing rooms and parlors for more than 250 years."

You can enlarge the article and read the whole thing if you'd like. The really interesting thing I found was that "this is the first piece of furniture of any kind to sell at auction for more than $1 million, a Philadelphia piecrust table sold at Christie's in January 1986 for $1,045,000. Last October, Christie's sold another example from Philadelphia, the Fisher Fox family piecrust table, owned by the same family for the past 250 years, for a whopping $6,761,000."

Are you kidding me??
I'm quite sure that my piecrust table has none of the history that is mentioned in the article, but I love it just the same. Mine was a yardsale find from several years ago. At the time, I had been laid off from my job and money was rather tight, so $75 for a table I didn't really have to have did not seem to be the smartest thing to do that day. But, I dug in my pockets (or checkbook) and came up with the money. And am I glad I did!
The detailed edges are so pretty and dainty.
It sits in my livingroom between two leather chairs and is a perfect accent table in that spot.
It had some marks and nicks when I bought it, but is still a beautiful piece and just shows that it's been lovingly used through the years. And you just don't get a patina like that in a new piece. I know I'll keep it for many years.

Do you have a favorite little side table? I have several, but this is probably my favorite. Tell me about yours!




I'm having a ball here in Florida and of course, have taken lots of pics. Visited my old college yesterday and wow, at the changes. I will meet up with Kim this morning for coffee at Daisy Cottage. I cannot wait! I'll report in on my trip next week, so stay tuned. I should be able to catch up this weekend with everything from the trip, but have some saved posts to share with you til then. Thanks for stopping by!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

Enjoy coffee with Kim, Rhoda!

I have a few of those little side tables. They are wonderful, aren't they!

I have my eyes open for a pie crust table. Would be fabulous if I can find one for $75!! My favorite antique side table is the little walnut dropleaf table, in the hearth room. We found it at the antique shop where we purchased the big farmhouse table.

Pat

Debra from Bungalow said...

I have admired your table since you got it. What a great find! I never realized it had such charming detail.
I know you'll have fun today....can't wait to see pix.
Hugs, DebraK
Tell Kim HEY from PA!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Rhoda,

Hope you have a terrific time! Love those pie crust tables.

I featured your home office today in my post on Home Offices! :-)

Happy Spring!

melissa

CG said...

I have a little thing for antique tables too. I love this one! It's beautiful!

Sandi McBride said...

HOW MUCH??? My Pie Crust table that I received from my Great Aunt Edith was dropped from a moving truck and ended up in about 50 pieces...replacement value? $250 bucks...I should have asked for more!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

I have a pretty oak table next to my side of the bed in our master bedroom. My parents got it at a used furniture store when they got married almost sixty years ago.

Your table is lovely, and I am sure well loved. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My mother had one similar to that and I always thought it beautiful. I don't know which one of the siblings ended up with it.

I have two of her tables, both quite pretty but they were given to me since my husband had refinished them for her.

My sister was visiting last autumn when I saw her looking at the "table" beside my sofa in the formal living room. Then she started laughing when she realized what the side "table" was... a pretty footstool with a wooden tray on top!

Mrs. B said...

Your table is lovely. I just can't believe the great things people have found at garage sales! I'm pretty sure sales in my town don't have anything nearly so pretty. My end tables are all pretty basic. I'd love to have something pretty like this!

Betty Jo said...

Awesome that you and Kim are getting together. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear about it. Actually I have several side tables that I love. One is oak with a little drawer and glass knob, bought for $3 at a yard sale. The other was only $1 at a yard sale. It is plain rustic wood (now painted white), handmade a long time ago by a farmer. I had a large table he made too, but gave it to a friend, as I no longer had room for it. These wouldn't go for much at auction, but I've had them for years and years and love them both. xoxo

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda
I like your new header. Well since I was away since the middle of March maybe it's not so new! I missed chatting with all my dear blogging friends, like you.
I love your table. Have fun in Florida. That will be fun to meet Kim and see her charming cottage.
Rhondi xo

Carrie said...

i have two small table in my bedroom. One has two round tiers. I showed it in my Apr. 2 post. The other I use as a bedside table. It is a narrow rectangle and has a drawer with a solid brass know on which I hang an ivory tassel.

kari and kijsa said...

Lovely article! Love your side table...such a great find!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Mary said...

Hi Rhoda,
LOVE your beautiful table! My favorite is a small mahogany bedside table with two drawers and a serpentine front. It belonged to my favorite aunt.
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

MISS YOU ALREADY RHODA!!!!

((((((hugs))))))))
Kim

Esther Sunday said...

Your little table is so sweet - it is very soft looking with all the curved edges! Love, Esther

Unknown said...

What a pretty table Rhoda! Hope you are having fun. I've been catching up with your posts and have enjoyed your photos. Take care.

Simply Me Art said...

Rhoda, Wonderful Post! Love your table. I have a fav. it is our dining room table that my hubby and I tiled ourselves with Granite tile and tumbled marble... It is truely a lovely table. Hope you are enjoying Florida. Jamie

Free Art Printables said...

I don't have a favorite table, but did you ever see the episode of Antiques Road Show that some one had a pie crust table and it appraised for the $25,000 and it was not any where near the great condition what yours is... I think you got agood deal. Had you walked away,you'd be kicking yourself!
Jen R

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I love your table and the bits of information you gave us I found interesting. I am glad you are having a good time....Mary

FrenchGardenHouse said...

good gracious, where have I BEEN??LOVE that new green and the banner too! Rhoda, you are always an inspiration.
xo Lidy

dana's design studio said...

I know my grandmother had one of these...never knew the name. You taught me something new...I will be on the look out for these.

Glad to hear your business is taking off...keep going.
Dana

Carolyn said...

I jumped over from the Daisy Cottage and wanted to say hi.

Great Blog!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I just found my way to your blog via The Inspired Room! I enjoyed scrolling through your post. I especially like what you did with the urn and mirror you purchased and the vignette you created. So pretty.

Looking forward to reading more future post!

Have a great time in Florida:)

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Enjoy your coffee this AM with KIM. Lucky you!!

Love your side table (and your house). They just don't make the quality today that they did back then, do they? My favorite table is one that I bought at an Amish Auction. It's in the den. It opens up and I display tea-cups inside, which you can see through the glass doors.

Blessings,

Sher

Unknown said...

That table is perfect for that spot! The detail is amazing! I just got my monthly Traditional Home magazine but haven't had a chance to look over it yet. Maybe this weekend I'll get to sit down and read that article. I can't believe how much those tables sell for at auction!! What do those people do for a living to spend that on a table??

Maureen said...

Reading this, I see that I NEED more side tables! I love the one smack-dab middle of our foyer- it's a great place to display pretties to greet our guests-- you know the one. I am looking for a side table to place next to the chaise in our bedroom. Maybe you can find one for me at a sale, and I'm gonna bet it will be worth the drive to B'ham! I hope you gave Kim my hug. Can't wait to hear more!

Tee said...

Love this post. Traditional furniture will always stand the test of time--it never goes out of style. I have a old gateleg table my husband found in an antique store years ago. We use it for overflow when we have guests over for dinner. I also have an old primitive pine table between the twin beds in one of our guest bedrooms. It has pegs in the top and tapered legs and is a rich honey color.

Anonymous said...

I have a cool lamp and marble table loaded with rhinestones.....I will have to get a picture of it on my blog soon.
Love yours!
xoxo
Diane

Rue said...

I read that article too :) I have several tables I love, but I'll post one of my favorites this week too. Your table is darling!!

How wonderful to go visit all your family and friends and go back to college for a visit! How exciting to meet Kim!! I'll bet you're having a blast :)

rue :)