Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mango Salsa

Have you ever made mango salsa? I had not until last summer when I noticed mangos were in season. I've seen some recipes done on the cooking shows before, so decided to try it myself and home and guess what? It's delish, really good. Something about the flavors of the mango, cilantro, oil & vinegar mixture is great. Goes really well with pork and probably chicken too. Since mangos are coming in season again and are on sale, I bought one recently and fixed this wonderful side dish. I made a side salad with these yummy tomatoes which I only buy when they are on sale. Have you see these yet, they are called Campari and another package said Omorosa, grown in Mexico. They are great tasting tomatoes for store bought. I usually buy grape tomatoes, but these were the same price last week at Publix. They are about 4 times as big as grape ones.
Pork chops on the George Foreman, seasoned with a little Tony Chachere's.
Corn on the cob is coming in at the grocery stores too for a good price, so I always buy it when it's in the shuck and fresh. Love the white kind, since I grew up on Silver Queen corn that my dad grows. This looks yellow, but it's really the white variety.



Max Holtzman's Mango Salsa (from Food Network)


1 large mango, diced
1 small red onion, diced (I used a yellow sweet onion)
1-2 TBL olive oil
Sea Salt
Freshly Ground pepper
3 plum tomatoes, chopped into pieces
1 small bunch cilantro, leaves finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, seeded & finely chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/2 orange, juiced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

As usual, I took some liberties with the recipe and instead of chopping the tomatoes, I used a can of Rotel tomatoes with cilantro and lime added. I didn't get the red bell pepper, but green. And I used apple cider vinegar instead of the one he listed. His recipe was double this, so I pared it down for a smaller amount.

All these flavors are great together, so try this if you get a chance!

I've got some fun things to share from my Florida trip and will do that again next week! It's great to be home.

Happy Eating, Y'all!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 friends stopped by:

Bebe said...

Hi Rhoda!

You don't mind if I come to your house for dinner tonight, do you? :) That meal looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the mango salsa recipe! I've got a brand new mango sitting on my counter, so he has no idea what's in store for him later today ~ can't wait to try this salsa for a change. Yummy!!

Hugs, Bebe :)

Ruey said...

oooooh, looks yummy, Rhoda!
I'll give it a try!
Sounds so refreshing and easy to make, too....
Hope you are having a blessed day!
xxxooo Ruth

Anonymous said...

I love mango salsa. It's really good on fish, too.

We had a mango tree in our back yard when I was growing up.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Yes! Beverly, you are so right about the fish! That's why I made it last year, to go with some fish I was making. Definitely a great companion with fish and I will do it again when I do make some fish.

Thanks for the reminder!

Rhoda

Donna Lynn said...

Hi there Rhoda,
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend so far! We are having rain, so I am blogging, no guilt!HA! I just got some organic mango salsa from our new upscale health food store, Harbor Greens! It was awesome with the freshly made corn chips...
Your such fun to visit with, I love you pictures and posts so much!
Big hugs to you,
Donna Lynn

Frantic Home Cook said...

That looks so yummy! I love fruit salsa!


And I must add that you are so lucky to live near Publix. I shop there when I visit my Nashville friend and it beats all the grocery stores up here. (Isn't it the top rated grocery store chain or something?)

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, never made it but heard that it is good, stop by I have something for you. Deb

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda. That mango salsa looks yummy. I am having a giveaway. Make sure you stop by.
Hugs Rhondi

PAT said...

I was going to say the same thing as Beverly. We love grilled salmon and mango salsa is great with it.

Can't wait to hear what you did in FL, this week.

Pat

Janet said...

I have been making Mango Salsa since my recent trip to California. I just use the mango, red onion, cilantro and some lime juice...maybe some jalapeno ( if I can find just one, not a whole package of them) or some cucumber. It is delish with chicken and also with Salmon.

Janet

PS. Can't wait to see your shopping excursion with Kim!

Janet said...

Really, you would think I would read the comments first and then maybe I wouldn't think I had such an original idea, LOL.
Janet

Brandee said...

Rhoda,
I've never made mango salsa before but it sounds yummy. Also, I've never done chicken on the George Foreman grill. I'll try both next week. Thanks for the recipe!
Brandee

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Oh!! That salsa (whole dinner in fact!) looks great! Mango salsa is also great on grilled white fish....yummy!

Thanks for the recipe!
Hugs,
Penny

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
I just bought some mangos.
Sounds good.
By the way, do you have a trick for cutting up the mangos?
Rosemary

Justabeachkat said...

I've had mango salsa in restaurants, but haven't ever tried to make it myself. Thanks for the recipe. Your meal looks delish!

BTW, I buy the Amorosa tomatoes ALL the time. They are soooo good. I think they're actually better than the ones in your photo.

I bet you're glad to be home for awhile.

Hugs!
Kat

Carolyn said...

Wow.... that Salsa looks good!


Carolyn

Debra from Bungalow said...

I copied down this recipe & am definitely going to try it. I've had mango salsa before but never made it at home.....I thought there was a trick to eating a mango, or peeling one.....Anyway thanks! The whole meal looks yummy.
Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

Love your new background Rhoda, it's so pretty!

My husband LOVES mango's, so I will definitely have to give this salsa a try!

Thanks for the recipe:)

Kim said...

We like mango salsa with grilled fish. The flavors just really compliment each other.
I'm a big mango fan. My favorite breakfast is sharp white cheddar cheese on a good chewy bread from the deli and a mango chopped up on the side. Mmmm, good!

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

My mouth is watering and I can't wait to try this recipe! I've had it at restaurants with pecan crusted fish, but I'll have to try it with the pork chops... YUMMY!

hugs,
rue