Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What to do with those yardsale finds?

In spite of my traveling so much these days, I've still managed to hit a few yardsales in between. And that has caused a few little changes around the house, some much needed and good changes. A few months ago I saw something in a magazine that got my attention. It was red painted sticks that looked a lot like coral. So, when I found this bundle of sticks for 50 cents last year while yardsaling, I tucked them away with that in mind. Just 2 weeks ago I found the pretty glass vase for $1 at another sale and those shells were in that big jar of shells I found a few weeks ago for $2. Are you with me so far?
So, I got out some leftover Ralph Lauren red paint that I had in my stash (I actually think I picked it up for free at a yardsale somewhere, can't remember). It's a pretty brick red and is the perfect color for red coral.
Painted the sticks, added the shells in the bottom of my inexpensive vase and now I have a whole new look for my Tuesday AM wall shelf. Total cost: $3.50
Here's the long shot of the whole wall. I had a large topiary there before that I made a long time ago, but I'm slowly changing out some of my old silk things for these that are a little airier and fresher. And I'm loving the new look! Hope this gives you a whole different way of looking at those yardsale items. You never know when you pick something up where it might come in handy. Those sticks had been in my stash closet for about 6 months when I finally got them out and the lightbulb went on. Which leads to the next little yardsale project..... This table is ever-changing these days. I moved my silk arrangement that had been here for so long and added this stack of books that I've collected (mostly from yardsales). With the addition of my little bird that was found recently for $2 and the glass vase for 50 cents, I have another vignette for this table. Not a bad price either.
Oh, and the sticks? I got those when I was still working and we had that big Open House. Remember those huge live floral arrangements that were on the tables? Well, I got a big bunch of the sticks when the flowers were tossed and brought them home. I love the airiness of sticks in a vase and am seeing a lot of this in magazines lately.

Perfect in the livingroom in that glass vase. Someone asked about buying more and more at yardsales and when was it enough, but I figure when you can recycle and refresh, it sure doesn't hurt to keep looking and buying within reason. Especially when it's so little money.
I love these little changes and it was time to retire some of the silk florals.
Change is inspiring! I hope I've inspired YOU to get out there and look for those bargains. They are out there, just waiting to be found.
We are heading home on Friday and while traveling has been fun, I'm ready to be back at our Home Sweet Home. See you soon!
Go and visit Cielo over at House of Roses for her dessert carnival that just started today! You'll get some wonderful dessert ideas and the pics are very inspiring!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

40 friends stopped by:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Rhoda girl, your home is just the loveliest! The new projects and the airy look of them is perfect for spring and summer. :-) Rosie

aimee said...

You always inspire me! I love how you can make .50 cent sticks look like a million bucks. Your home is gorgeous.

Valarie Lea said...

Those look great!! I love that room in your house where the first arrangement is. that is a really cool spot.

Anonymous said...

You know my neighbor across he street has a tree that grows those curly sticks. You should see the people stopping to pick those up when he trims those trees!! It's crazy!

I love them painted red and they look great in that vase. The whole foyer looks pretty and such a pretty view into your dining room!

Manuela

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You are amazing~
Sticks and stones.... Make an awesome centerpiece at Rhodas!

Send me a note and I'll post this one too ~:-)

Judy said...

Hey Rhoda! I've been buying those curly willow sticks for years and love the look they give. Don't you just love those Nell Hill books? I never get tired of looking through mine for inspiration.

Have a great weekend!

Judy

Cindy said...

Your home is so beautiful! It's amazing that you've done so much decorating with yard sale finds! I love your new additions!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
I look at your blog daily, just do not usually reply. However, I am in search of a pretty black and white lamp shade and love the one in the picture on the console table. Any ideas where I can find one at in NC?
Thanks,
Margaret

Sandi McBride said...

Okay, leave it to you to figure out to make sticks look glam...course I could do that. BUt they'd still look like sticks lol
hugs
Sandi

The Berry's Patch said...

Your so talented! I wish you lived in Arizona!

Mrs. B said...

Hi Rhoda! Your stick arrangements look great! I especially like the one with the second one. I remember seeing that comment about buying too much and thought it was so rude. I think your home is beautiful! And I think you set a good example of how to make a home beautiful with thrifted items. Good job!

Mary said...

Rhoda, you are so inspiring! Love the branches, especially the ones on the coffee table -- so airy and beautiful! Happy yardsaling this weekend!
xoxo,
Mary

Unknown said...

I hate that I am missing my yard sale adventures this weekend bc I will be moving. Can't wait to see what you find this weekend!

CIELO said...

Hi Rhoda... thanks for participating in our Dessert Carnival... hope you had a lot of visitors looking for the recipe of those wonderful chocolate chip cookies...

Cielo

CIELO said...

love that table with the stack of books and the little bird, the glass vase is awesome! Very elegant, and charming...
Your house is lovely.

Cielo

windycorner said...

How pretty! Absolutely love the arrangments of curly willow and berries. So fresh.
Holley

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, I think you came up with some lovely projects. Indeed inspiring. Deb

Kelly said...

Hi Rhoda! I love your new arrangements using curly willow sticks! Aren't they fun? You did good to get them for free or so little money because they are expensive at the craft stores! I like how you contrasted the rustic quality of the sticks with the elegance of the glass vase. I hadn't thought of that. I also love how you added the bittersweet (or whatever it's called) with the sticks to give it more texture and color. It brings out the other colors in your room too. Keep up the great suggestions and keeping us anticipating what you'll come up with next!

Kelly

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Margaret, hope you come back to read this, since I don't have an email address for you. That is an old lamp that I made new again with a covered lampshade. YOu can find the instructions here from January:

http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2008/01/modernizing-vintage-lamp.html

I bought the fabric at Hancocks and covered an old lampshade, so take a look at that project. You may be able to find a similar lampshade already done, but this is the easiest way to change one up...buy your own fabric!

Thanks!
Rhoda

Deserae said...

Love the new airy feel you are incorporating into your home :o) As always you find the BEST stuff at yard sales!!! I can't wait to start hitting some soon.....
~Des

bj said...

I love all your new projects...makes things so springy looking.
bj

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

You are so amazing at what you do that even sticks are stylish. I love it when things come together like that :)

Have a beautiful night.
hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

Your changes look great, and I concur that a bit of change can redo the whole perspective.

Love that red.

Anonymous said...

You always inspire me. I love your ideas. Thanks for sharing. I too have weeded out all silk arrangements. I have a couple of tin vases with sticks from my yard on my mantle and they are great.

Shirlee said...

Love the "squiggy" sticks. I've seen them painted black but never red. They're like a delicate sculpture when painted and tie in nicely with the red dining room.
I've noticed that even my local WalMart is selling the curly willow and other tall sticks/grasses in their candle section. You really lucked out finding them at the yard sale. :)

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Your house is looking gorgeous as always. Love the view from your entry way and the way you used your curly red sticks.
Hugs,
Sue

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...I'm taking a little time to visit this morning.

I think I still have some curly willow in the basement storage. I may gussy them up for the lake! Thanks for the idea.

I love Bittersweet. It looks great on the table with the books!

Pat

Dena said...

My goodness Rhoda, your home is just beautiful :) These pictures look like they came straight out of a magazine shoot :)

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Oh how nice to find such a wonderful blog. I found you thru Pickets blog. Love your style and home and the great idea. I'll definelty have to borrow some of them if that's ok. Yes you inspired me to think outside the box as Carol so often says. Hugs to you. Lynne

Anonymous said...

I love to change things up, I can get very attached to my THINGS...sticks are one of my favs....yours look lovely.

Have a nice week-end, I heard you had a great time with Kim...good for you !!!

Kathy :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Rhoda, I love all the changes you are making! How great that they are such bargains too! My kind of decorating...

Love the house redecorating in the previous post with your friend Mary. It turned out lovely.
Hugs,
Penny

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Your home looks lovely!!! And what fun to work with the designer in that beautiful home in the previous post!

Glenda said...

Rhoda
This is a good thing as Martha Stewart would say.
Your home is an inspiration of color and beauty.

Glenda

Swampgirl said...

Don't you just love it when all the pieces of the puzzle just come together? It pays to follow your intinct when you find something at a yard sale that feels right- even if you don't know what you are going to do with it! Love your ideas!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hi Rhoda! You have found some lovely things for so little $$!

Your long shot of your "coral" is simply breath-taking. Such a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Darlene said...

Love everything....but especially those squiggly sticks with the berries....those would be perfect in my FALL decorating!!!

Free Art Printables said...

I love those sticks with the berries!

Amanda said...

beautiful!!!! love it. Its funny I have those same coffee table books. Question (im sure you have been asked this many times) what color of paint is that in your entry way? it looks so good with the red and I have a red dining room and a HUGE 2 story living room that I want to paint a golden warm yellow kinda like yours.

Gretchen said...

What great 'sticks'!!!

Everything looks so warm and welcoming.

fleur de lis cottage said...

Very tasterful. Love your twigs and berries.