Sunday, May 4, 2008

Those Yardsales Again!

You'd think that torrential rain would slow all the yardsalers down, but it didn't. It was pouring on Sat. a.m., but I trudged out anyway to attend the neighborhood sale at one of my favorites. It was a good day too. Found this set of Italian hand-painted tiles ($2 for both) that are now hanging in our master bathroom. Loved the colors in here against the blue walls.

Found a few things that were worth bringing home and I found some things to share with YOU too. First up, these are the things I'm keeping for now. I've seen preserved palms around for a few years now & they are very pricey, so when I found this pretty one for $35, I decided to bring it home. Right now it's in the master bedroom, but it is subject to move around. Preserved palms are real, they are just dried to keep their texture and shape and I'm trying to cut back on the silks for now, but I still like to have some greenery around. Leopard memo board was 75 cents and it was too pretty not to buy, so I did. Not sure where it will go yet.
Another USA pottery piece for my creamware collection for 25 cents. I think I'm almost done with adding more. Bunny plaque was 50 cents and I'll probably hang this outside on the fence. It was a fun day of yardsaling in spite of the rain.
*******************************************
NOW, for the items I'm offering up to all of YOU:
This pretty pair of electric wall sconces are metal with a brushed black/gold finish and I'm not sure what style you would call these, but I thought they were unique and interesting. If I had a place to put them and could hire an electrician, I'd do something with them. The wires are on the back, well as a screw for the wall. The round knob in the middle comes off and that's how they are hung. The Pair for $15. (SOLD)
They have 3 candles for bulbs and I'm not sure how you would put a shade on them, so maybe you don't. Leave them empty. They measure 12" tall by 4 1/2" wide.
Pretty pair of rose needlepoint pictures in wood frames, measure 7 1/2 x 7 1/2" square. Pink and yellow. Both for $10.
These could also be taken out and used as the centerpiece on a pillow.
Sweet Vintage milkglass lamp (with wood accents) measures 13" tall, needs shade and you would use the kind of shade that clips on the bulb. which shouldn't be hard to find. $8.00 -SOLD!
Vintage Victorian lady and man prints. Back of the lady print says Lady Sheffield by Thomas Gainsborough. Approx. 6 1/2 x 5 1/2". Deep burgandy red velvet around the prints, which is not showing true in these pics. $10 for both.

Again, the first person to email me for a particular item will get it! My email is at the top left side of my blog. Buyer to pay shipping and I'll keep the shipping charges as low as possible. Thanks for looking!

I've just passed my 200th post and didn't get around to a giveaway, SO in 2 weeks look for a BIG one. We are going to the beach for a week, so my giveaway will start then. Don't miss it! And I'll be sharing very soon about my visit last week with Kim...more shopping and girl time with a very special friend!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, I'm amazed that people were still having yard sales yesterday! It was pouring here! You did good girl! I've never seen or heard of a preserved palm! Those pictures are darling - I'm tempted!

Thanks for the salsa recipe below - mango salsa is my favorite! I always buy it at Whole Foods but I'm going to try your recipe.

Manuela

Vicki T said...

Hi Rhoda. I have a preservcd palm, too! Of course, it wasn't intended to be. It just didn't make it through the winter very well. :)

Anonymous said...

oooooh, you did AWESOME!
Wish I could have gone with you! ;-)

xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Love those tiles. I'll bet they look great in your bathroom.

Mama said...

You did great! I especially love those tiles -- I agree they're beautiful colors.

Come over and visit sometime!

Janera

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

I think that I want the milkglass lamp. My mom collects milkglass, and it's perfect for her. My questions are: What size clip on shade is needed? Does it use a regular lightbulb?
Let me know if it is still available, please!

Anonymous said...

I'm only about 30 minutes from your neck of the woods, but I'm apparently yardsaling in the wrong places! My husband did find a nice colonial-style Thomasville end table for $8 on Thursday nearby at a yard sale he hit on his way home from work and he found a colonial secretary base at a yard sale on hwy 47 a few months ago for $50. We still haven't beat your $75 pie crust table, but we're looking! My Saturdays are taken shooting weddings right now, but I can hit the Friday sales! Will hit the yard sales again this summer in Pennsylvania. Those are some good ones, too!

kari and kijsa said...

Great finds!! Have a blessed Sunday!

smiles,
kari & kijsa

Shirlee said...

You are a dedicated yard sale shopper to go out in the rain. I've never heard of a preserved palm either. What an interesting plant.
You got some amazing deals, the tiles look perfect against the blue wall and 75 cents for the memo board? That's unreal, what a bargain.

Cindy F said...

That leopard memo board is fabulous! What a find at 75 cents. The palm is beautiful too. I'm going to have to try the salsa. Sounds delicious.

Free Art Printables said...

Great finds! Why let a little rain stop you! ;)
Jen R

bj said...

I've not seen a preserved palm but I sure would like to have one. Like you, I am so trying to weed out some of my silks but I just HAVE to have some softening greenery somewhere!
Oh, and that mango salsa sounds so good...thanks for the recipe.
bj

Debra from Bungalow said...

It was cold & drizzling here too on sat. but I went out yardsaling. The weather can't stop us hard core yardsalers! No way!
You got great buys as usual & I have never heard of a preserved palm before.
I'm mentioning your lamp shade tutorial today on my blog, stop over if you get a chance.
Hugs, DebraK

Mrs. B said...

Hi Rhoda! Well, you did much better yard saling this weekend than I did! I didn't come home with a single thing! Hubby came with me, which he doesn't normally. I think maybe he's bad luck! I really love those tiles you found. Beautiful!

Donna Kay said...

it would be worth driving to B'ham just for the garage sales!!!! Incredible finds!! Love those tiles!! I have never heard of preserved palms - learn something new everyday!!

Unknown said...

Such great finds! You're a real trooper to go out in the rain as well!

Rue said...

You found some lovely things Rhoda :) A little rain never hurt anyone, although a little mud might ;) I hope I don't have to do that again.... yuck.

Have a beautiful day today!
hugs,
rue

Donna said...

Hi Rhoda,
Yard sales are so much fun. I'm amazed at all the good stuff you find!
Hugs,
Donna

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Rhoda, you found some amazing things at the yard sale...the tiles were beautiful, especially on the blue wall!

I have something for you over at my site...stop by when you get a chance! I passed on a couple of awards that I received to my favorite blogs,and yours was one of them. I just love your beautiful sense of style! You magically put things together and they just click so well! You have been a very resourceful inspiration to me! :) ~Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Your preserved Palms are amazing...I have some preserved cedar that I bought for Christmas and never use anymore...I think I need to go out to the shed and find them. ....xo Lynn

Sandi McBride said...

You got some great deals and are offering some, too...best of both worlds!
Sandi

Sandy McTier Designs said...

What beautiful finds! I have those two prints, same frames that I got at an auction years ago. I so need to go yardsaling.
Hope you have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Sandy :)

dec0r8or said...

Well, if you ask me, that leopard print bulletin board needs to go in your office nook, don't you think? Can you find a spot for it! Great finds, Rho.