Thursday, July 31, 2008

An Evening with Southern Lady















My church sponsored an evening event for women recently called Women in the Workplace and Phyllis Norton Hoffman, President of Hoffman Media, was the speaker for the evening. I'm sure you all probably know who she is. She was a delightful speaker, a Christian business woman with an uplifting and humorous message for all of us and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
We had three of these events scheduled this summer and I volunteered to take care of the table centerpieces. I went over to our church's Women's Ministry closet and found a few little things that would work, like candles, glass beads, ribbon and fabric squares. We just did simple bunched fabric in the middle with 3 candle votives and glass beads sprinkled about. The club provided the flowers and we added a pretty green and pink ribbon to all of them.
We all had a nice dinner, Phyllis shared with us, and then she signed some copies of her new book, Southern Lady Gracious Tables. Her company publishes Victoria Bliss, Southern Lady, Cooking with Paula, Tea Time, and a host of other stitching magazines. It was a fun evening spent with other ladies and we all got magazines to take home. How can you not enjoy that?
***************************************
The dog days of summer are right here upon us. I'm about to wilt from this heat and really can't wait for September to get here...not soon enough for me. So, next week, since it's not much fun to be outside right now, let's do something fun in the house! I'm going to host a party. A "what is your favorite yardsale/thriftstore/estate sale find" party! Doesn't that sound like fun? I'll be using Mr. Linky to hook us all up (if I can figure him out), so we can check out each other's fun projects. I know a lot of us love to find the deals and there are SO many great things out there to discover, so let's share our VERY favorite finds with each other. It might be a piece of furniture that you've updated and painted, it may be a beautiful dish that you just adore, or an accessory that just fits right in at your house. Whatever it is that is your favorite find yet...share it with all of us. I can't wait to go around and visit all of you to see your most favorite finds of all time! Let's set a time for next week, so you can all get a post ready. How about Thursday, August 7th? Let me know here if you would like to participate and then I'll post Mr. Linky early Thursday a.m. and you can all add your links. Sound fun?! We all need some perking up right now with the oppressive heat, so I'd love to have a lot participating. Let's have a party!

Can't wait!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

41 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

HI I'm new to your site and really
enjoying it. I would love to join
the party next week but I'm not very computer savy so you will have to give details instructions how to post our "finds".

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda,
Well of course I'll play if I can decide what's my favorite since like you I have dozens!
Is it ok to post more than one?

Didn't comment on your last posts but the bedroom is truly a cozy haven...... Beautiful & Chester is so handsome!
Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! I'll play.

Three Birds Inspired said...

Victoria Magazine is one of my favorites. I was so excited when they started publishing it again!

ugagirl30 said...

I'm in. As a matter of fact, I might post one every day on my site next week.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
That sounds like fun! Like Debra, it will be hard to decide...I have so many! LOL Count me in!
Thanks for doing this!
I know your busy, but if you have a chance would you peek at my daughter's new blog...she has a window treatment question....posted last night or today.
She spent hours looking at your pictures of your bedroom and other remodeling, and loves your plates above the windows. It is Sassy Southern Mom at http://kelli1975.blogspot.com
Thanks so much!
diane

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love a good party!
I'll be there~ thanks for the invite.

Judy said...

I'm with you on the heat! My poor flowers are just about gone even with constant watering. Our water bill was outrageous this month!

I think your idea for a favorite thing next week is great....if I can decide what that is! Maybe I'll find a new favorite thing tomorrow!

Love, love, love Southern Lady magazine and I've been wanting to buy her new book, just haven't spent the $$ yet!

See ya tomorrow!
Judy

Inspired Kara said...

I'm excited for the party!! I'm in!!

Angie said...

I'm game for the sharing party. I hope I'll be able to figure out how to do it. I'm sure I'll have to get my computer savvy husband involved!

Anonymous said...

Count me in too! I love blog shares. It's a great way to meet new people :)

-Hayley

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

What a wonderful evening you must have had and great centerpieces! I wanted you to know I really enjoy your blog and all the lovely posts! Have a wonderful day!
Blessings, Debbie
ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to be a part of this. I am like some of the others....you will have to be very detailed with instructions on posting. I really enjoy visiting with you daily.
Sue

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Rhoda, Hi thanks for coming by my blog! I love the Southern Hospitality, we sometimes lack in that on the West Coast, but some of us are sure trying. Your blog is sooo inspirational! Have a wonderful day, again!
Blessings, Debbie
ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com

B. said...

Sounds like a GREAT event at your church! I would have LOVE to attend! Your church must be avery large. I am responsible for planning the events for our Wome's ministry for a church of 300- 400 people or so and I know what hard work goes into the event. It looks like yours was beautiful! Also, I will participate in the Thursday Yard Sale post. Now... to narrow it down to omy one favorite....

Stacy said...

Yay! I do LOVE a party! Great idea. Can't wait!

~Stacy

Cottage Rose said...

Rhonda; it sounds like fun so count me in. I will start tomorrow getting my goodies out and take pictures. I love parties. And how cool is that to meet such a great lady. I love all those Mag. I buy each of them. and to think you met her and had her give you some.

hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous said...

I'm so in, just need to pick out one, it will be hard!

thanks for your link to the armoire I studied it yesterday, I need to find a piece of similar furniture and then I'm gonna have a go too. what fun!

glad you liked my not-so-grand tour inspired by you lol!

Cindi said...

I'm game! This sounds fun! Thanks for hosting!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Now I have to make a decision....now thats just not right! hehe

windycorner said...

Hi Rhoda,
I'm in for the party. It's so hot here I get right moist from taking the dog out at 6:30 in the morning. Can't wait to see everyone's finds.
Holley

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Oh, you know I'm loving seeing pictures of Phyllis Hoffman. Lucky you, having such a talented speaker for your event. I wish I would have sent my copy of Gracious Tables down to you to have her sign it for me. My copy sits on my kitchen counter and I use it all the time for inspiration. You gals did a good job of using what was available to create pretty table settings.

Count me as RSVPing yes to the invitation to share our favorite flea or thrift at your party.

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful time you must have had meeting Phyllis! That's awesome that your church sponsored the event!

I hope you have a great weekend Rhoda!! Stay cool!
xo,
Kim

Sandi McBride said...

Lovely post, Rhoda...I wish I could have been there to hear her speak!
I've yet to read Southern Lady but but I intend to!
Sandi

BailiwickStudio said...

This sounds like fun! I do have a few favorite finds. And what a marvelous time you had with Phyllis Hoffman! She must be so inspiring. ::Jill

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I'd love to play along! So many finds...so little time...

:-)

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda~
Just stopping by to say hi and hope you have a great weekend.

It's hot all over! I didn't visit the state you are in now, but your old home place is steaming, just as we are here. I'm happy to have inside projects. :)
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, I love your party idea. Count me in. I have just the thing to share. I have been looking at your past posts and found your photo with Sparkle Josh. How much fun is that? Smile.

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Ooooh.. looks like Fun Rhoda! Count me in also!

Legacies For You said...

Hi,
Sounds like a great escapade for the dog days of summer. I live for auctions, yard sales, thrift shops, etc. In fact, Thursday is my next big auction day, maybe I'll wait until after the auction to post my favorite find!

Gabrielle Mader said...

I would like to participate in your yardsale/thrift party. You have inspired so much in the last year to go yardsaling and checking thrift stores for deals. I never thought this Aries would ever do that.

Gone said...

I'll join in the fun, too, Rhoda!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Blogger said...

Count me in, I am glad you got into my blog for the Open House, I hope others are not having a problem!

Love your new leopard "M", too :)

Bella

bj said...

How fun this sounds. I am going to have a devil of a time trying to decide which is my very favorite...my entire house is furnished and decorated in yard sale finds....
I will sure try, tho.
So, we post it on Thursday?

Unknown said...

Who doesn't just love a good bargain! Hope I'm not too late to join. I'll post tomorrow evening if that's alright. Thanks!

P.S. I couldn't wait to post that beautiful bedroom inspiration of yours so I went ahead and posted this evening. You made my day!

Erin said...

this will be fun! it will be really hard to choose though :)

Anonymous said...

I'm snapping pictures right now and would love to join y'all on Thursday! I can't wait to see all the goodies everyone has gotten!

Ginny’s Lazy B Ranch said...

I can't wait for the party. Just hoping I can figure out how to do the link thingy. I won't be able to post until later Thurs. after lunch because I have to go to school to an early training. Will it be okay to post at that time?

linda t said...

Great idea Rhoda!! Count me in!

Courtney said...

count me in too, Rhoda! this will be fun. I've got my post ready for whenever Mr Linky is ready for me :-)