Saturday, August 2, 2008

Asian Slaw

Have you had this Asian slaw recipe before? What a great time of the year for something cool and delicious like this. It seems to be one that has been passed around in the last few years in one form or another and it really is a great recipe for a party. It serves a lot of people and most folks seem to like it, with a sweet oil and vinegar mixture that is very good. Most men seem to like it too.
Asian Slaw

1 (16 oz) package of slaw mix
2 (3 oz) packages of beef flavored Ramen noodle soup mix
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup Sunflower seeds (I left these out)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

Remove flavor packets from soup mix and set aside; crush noodles, place noodles in bottom of large bowl. Top with slaw mix, sprinkle with almonds, sunflower seeds, green onions.

Whisk together contents of flavor packets, sugar, oil & vinegar. Pour over slaw mix. Cover and chill for 24 hours. Mix well before serving.

Yields 8-10 servings. This is a great recipe to double for a large crowd. There was none left in my bowl! Enjoy!

We're having a party next week...a "share your favorite yardsale/thrifting find" party! Go and read about it all here and come back next Thursday and we'll all link up. Don't forget to add a link back to my blog too on your post so everyone can hop around and visit all the thrifty finds. I'll probably put the post up (with Mr. Linky) late Wednesday night, so you can all have plenty of time to find it and get your links going.

Birmingham girls, don't forget to pick up a copy of the Birmingham News today for my feature in Spaces! I'll report about it on Sunday.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 friends stopped by:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I love this recipe! Something even a non-cook like myself could do! I am going to copy it and get the ingredients today.

Thanks! Now back to seeing all that I missed :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhoda! It looks so delicious! Just one word of caution, though, for those who might suffer from migraines (like me) - the msg in the ramen might trigger a headache - I had my first packet of ramen about a month ago and it set one off (unfortunately - because I loved it!)

So just wanted to pass that along to y'all!

PAT said...

This looks great Rhoda! I think I'll make it, sometime next week. With the temps hovering at 100, salads like this are wonderful for the light meals, we crave during these Dog Days!

Pat

Debra from Bungalow said...

I love this stuff! I've been making it for a few years now since I got the recipe from my daughter......I think I put in some broccoli too. You can really get creative with those ramen noodles....if you can take all that sodium. Personally, I love ramen noodles & so cheap too! Guess that's why "everyone loves ramon"...sorry, stole that from Ellen Degeneres.
DebraK

Toni said...

Rhoda, just wanted to congratulate you on the article in the Birmingham News! I just read it online. Thanks for the tips! I'll be using them as I start to get things for my home.

KeKe said...

Sounds good. Can't wait to try it! Meanwhile, I have a cheesecake that needs fixin...lol

Sue said...

This recipe looks delicious. I am going to make it tonight for tomorrow. I remembered about your article this morning and got my paper early (before I hit the yard sales)....loved it!
Sue

Anonymous said...

I make this, too - and it is delicious. i add dried cranberries to mine.

Happy@Home said...

Mmmm ~ I haven't made this recipe in a while, but I love it. I have several packs of Ramen that my son brought home from college. I think I will have to use them up by making this slaw.

Thanks for the good idea.

Have a nice weekend.

Blogger said...

I have a very similar recipe and we love it around here. I love your pics of it, too :)

I posted a Warm Beans and Tomatoes with Goat Cheese recipe yesterday, if you are interested, come check it out, it's very good, too.

I enjoy these salad types of recipes in the summer, so easy :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Bella

His Doorkeeper said...

This has always been one of my favorites since I had it years ago. Perfect and easy to make and always taste delicious!

By the way, I love your bedroom. I've been gone and just now back getting to read a few of my favorites!

Jill said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and I just love it! You're such an inspiration, you're so creative, and such a Godly woman. Thanks for sharing your life and your talents.

I had this recipe a long time ago and LOVED it. Thanks for the reminder. I need to make it soon.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks, Amy! I was just talking to one of my friends today about that recipe & she mentioned the SAME thing. MSG gives her crazy migraines too & that's exactly what she said. A word of caution to all of you who have a problem with migraines!

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
I picked up my copy of the B'ham news and loved the articles. You were all over the paper!
Your recipe looks delicious. I will have to give it a try.
Donna

Kathryn said...

Just this summer, I "rediscovered" this recipe and made it for my extended family for our July 4th celebration. It is delicious, and the noodles add texture and extra crunch, which is a nice change from regular cole slaw.

Your site is beautiful; I discovered it through my sister's recommendation (Celly, "Busy at Home").

Blessings,
Kathryn
("Pure Wells", "Fan into Flame")

Anonymous said...

How funny! I bought the ingredients last night for this! We've had it a few times this summer already. I make mine a bit different though - I use cabbage (no carrots) and I do use the seeds. Toast seeds and almonds first. I don't add my noodles till just before tossing and serving - as they stay crunchier that way.

Also, try the oriental flavor of the noodles - you'll love it!

tina

Kelli@SassySouthernMom said...

Hi Rhoda!
It's nice to meet you. This recipe looks delicious, especially for the summer. I'm not too sure my husband will try it, he's pretty picky.. but I bet my 5 year old Connor would love it. Thanks for sharing. I love your blog, and those window treatments in your bedroom. They are beautiful and have inspired me!!! Talk to you soon. Kelli

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

How cool that you were in the B'ham News, today Rhoda!

That Asian Slaw looks absolutely delicious!

Justabeachkat said...

This sounds quick, easy and yummy. My kind of "cooking". lol

Hugs!
Kat

Unknown said...

yes this is one of my favorite recipes! When I make it too, nothing left!
Hugs,
Robyn

Marie said...

:o) My mother has been making Asian slaw for years. It's very similiar to yours except she uses broccoli slaw...which can be hard to find sometimes... and no green onions! I think I'll try your version next time I make it.

Lacy said...

That is a super salad and I have always needed to get the recipe. Thanks!!!!

Anonymous said...

This stuff is so yummy! We call it Chinese Cole Slaw and use rice vinegar in it. It makes a ton and the left overs get kinda soggy the next day, so be sure you have a crowd over when you make. I'll have to try your version with the slaw mix. We've been using just bagged cabbage, but I think the carrots mixed in looks great. Off to read your yardsale post and get some tips from the queen...smile!

-Hayley

Chris said...

Congratulations on your article, Rhoda!! You're so famous! I have wanted a good recipe for that salad for months, and I KNOW you're giving a good version of it! Thank you!

Bo said...

If it's not too late, I'd love to comment on this Asian Slaw recipe.. I had heard of different versions of it before but never tried it until you published yours...I think the photos helped sell it. Well, it is going to be a regular at our house from now on. It was so easy and so delicious! Thanks Ms. Rhoda!! You are an all around great homemaker and so sweet to share your ideas with us.
:-) Brown-Eyes

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Ms. Brown-Eyes! So glad you tried this easy recipe. It really is a good one & easy to double for a crowd. And what could be easier than picking up a bag of cole slaw and adding the ingredients.

I'm happy to share & happy you all love it too! It's one of those keeper recipes.

Rhoda

Melissa said...

I recently came across your site and enjoy it very much! This recipe you've written about is actually a staple on my summertime menu - we LOVE it!