Sunday, August 3, 2008

Yardsale Diva makes the press


(click on all articles to enlarge for reading)

There I am above, doing what I love to do...scour the yardsales! This is when I picked up the cute little birdsnest with eggs. That's a giant life sized George Bush there in the pic beyond me. Wonder if anyone bought him?

Saturday was my big day in the Birmingham News! It was very exciting to get the paper from curbside around 6:00 a.m. to see the article about my yardsaling and thrifting prowess live and in person. I really think the reporter did a great job capturing my enthusiasm with yardsaling and it seems to have been conveyed very well in the article (thank you Mary!). It was actually 2 articles, one on our outdoor space redo which also incorporated yardsale finds and that kicked off the other article on the facing page all about the yardsale finds that I've scored over the years. Hopefully, the yardsale tips will come in handy for others out there who want to get into this too. I promise that anyone can learn to yardsale with abandon!

Here's the online link (thanks, Toni!) if you don't want to squint to read this scanned version:

Yardsale Diva

See the big clock I'm hauling out of there? I should have showed the front of it as I was walking. You can see I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the photographer, but was pretty excited about my treasures and purposefully getting them to my car.

It's a little tricky to follow the paragraphs since I had to cut the article to scan it, but just follow the page down below and then it wraps back up to the above part. You can see how the 2 fit together if you look closely. And if you click the link above, it will take you to the online version of the newspaper, much easier to read.
My lamp redo even got a very honorable mention and I was happy it made the cut.
The patio redo feature
I was so honored to get this very good press in the Birmingham News and it should jumpstart my business now. I've already gotten a call from it. Living in a smaller city has some great advantages. This would never happen in Atlanta!


Thank you ALL for being such great friends over the last few months. I so appreciate all of you for supporting my blog and my dreams!


Birmingham girls: I've had several of you asking about going yardsaling with me, so in September, I'm going to plan a yardsale outing and anyone who wants to tag along can do so. There should be some fun neighborhood sales coming up by then.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

73 friends stopped by:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Yea Rhoda!
I thought it was a great article. She did a good job of writing it all up, and the pictures were all good. You are a regular B'ham celeb!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, how fantastic for you and for your new business, you must feel extremely proud!

I read through and think you and the reporter have done the most wonderful job of portraying the world of yardsaling. It's great that people are interested in the our secret pasttime, how wonderful that we can re-invent pieces to make a home, I SO SO love doing that, I feel blessed that I can feather my nest without having everything bought new and 'processed'.

I am sure this article will be just the beginning for your business, you obviously have a super talent for styling and a super eye for finding treasures..a great combination

i know that I am only a very new blog pal of yours but stories like this make me proud of my values and what I'm striving for, values which I think are the same as yours from what I've seen...

keep up the good work and happy bloggin!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Great article, Rhoda. I'm sure that you will get a bunch of calls for redecorating from that article.

I've been looking at yardsales and "antique" shops lately - but I've been looking with a different eye. I'm trying to see things that I can use in unusual places or how I can change them to fit what I need. All because of you!

Gone said...

Congratulations!! What a fantastic article! Thanks for sharing it!

~Blessings,
Jan

Gone said...

Congratulations!! What a fantastic article! Thanks for sharing it!

~Blessings,
Jan

Blogger said...

That is fantabulous, Rhoda!!! And exciting!!! I bet you are on Cloud Nine right now :)

I for sure want to see that clock! lol

I wish I could go shopping with you someday!

All the best,
Bella :)

KeKe said...

Great article! Isn't it just wonderful when you make that special find? It's such a thrill. Makes the hunting even more worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!
I'm soooooooooooooooooo tickled for you!!!!
This feature is just fantastic - what a fabulous job the reporter did! You are soooooo deserving Rhodie - I'm really really proud of you!

Love,
Kim

Marie said...

Great article! I love how the reporter mentioned everything in your house has a story behind it...right down to the pears on your mantel! lol

Tonja said...

Good for you! Hope this just sends your business into overdrive!
Great pictures, too!

Caren said...

Congratulations! That's a great article. Some really good tips. We've been scouring yard sales recently and all I've come up with is a cool $3 mirror for the house. My 4 y/o son however thinks YSs are great and has lots of new puzzles, books and cars to prove it!

I look forward to trying out another YS next weekend!

ugagirl30 said...

Wow! A diva!!! That's exciting. Do you feel like a rockstar?

Anonymous said...

Oh congrats on your article!!!What a cool thing. Jen R

Adrienne said...

What a great article! Congratulations. I won't be surprised if it brings some business your way. Wish I could join you in September for your yard sale excursion. It's a bit too far to drive. ~Adrienne~

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, Congratulations! Great article. You looked very nice too. I don't think I could ever be brave enough to have my picture in the news paper. But you did good, home girl, to those who don't know, I'm live here in Birmingham too. Well I just stopped in to say, it was a very interesting article Rhoda, and your pictures were very flattering. Deb

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
That is such a great article! I'm like you...the mall holds no appeal for me anymore.

Part of the thrill is in the hunt don't you think?

I'm so looking forward to your blog event this week. Been working on my post!
Diane

apple said...

HA! GO RO! at least it was a good hair day, but must they have printed your age!! Im SO sure!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Great article, Rhoda! I loved reading it. The writer did a great job. Congratulations. I hope it brings you much success.





...so when we going yard saleing?

Jill said...

Great articles Rhoda. Congratulations. Well deserved I might add. It's great you are always so open and willing to share you finds, treasure and know-how. Best wishes you deserve it.
Jill

Darla said...

Look at you all cute at 6 am. ZOINKS!

Congratulations! Great article.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

What a great article and it should really jump start your business. Congratulations!

Gretchen

Karin said...

So exciting!!! And you look great! I roll out of bed and hit the sales, but I don't look nearly as nice as you do ;) I always thought I had a better chance of bargaining if I didn't look like I could afford to pay more. hee!

Karin

Toni said...

Rhoda, this was a great article! Congratulations! I just wish I lived closer to you so that I can come with you when you yard sale.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

This is just so exciting! Congratulations on the articles, Rhoda. I'm thrilled for you. You deserve all the attention, that's for sure. -Julia :-)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You Decorating Diva You!! Just checking in with you, we just got back from Savannah (I was mighty uncomfortable there - it's soooo muggy).

Congratulations on the great write up! This should do wonders for your business and your family must be so proud of you!

xo,

Manuela

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

How exciting for you!! What a great article. I hope this brings lots of business your way!

The Berry's Patch said...

Oh congratulations Rhoda! See I told you were a celebrity. The reporter did a great job on the article.

I'm looking forward to your blog party next week. Thanks for updating my blog on yours. I truly appreciate it more than you know!

Brandee :-)

Kellan said...

You're a celebrity - how fun and what a great article - congrats - you ROCK!

Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Both articles are great and I know you are proud.
Glenda/MidSouth

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Yeah, you go GIRL!!! Well deserved press for one hard working, determine decorating DIVA!!!!

Loved the articles and love you blog.

Blessings,

Sher

Bo said...

Yippee...now I "know" a real celebrity...the quotes the reporter used from you sounded (make that read) so friendly and informative. Great pics of you, the gorgeous lamp and the patio re-do. You really came across as geninely warm and caring... I am so proud to be able to enjoy your blog. :-) Brown-Eyes

Anonymous said...

That was a great article! Good for you. Best wishes and lots of luck for your business venture.

JeanMac said...

Thanks for posting it - I tried finding it on the online issue and couldn't! Congrats!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Congrats Rhoda !!!
The article will help your business and now "may I have Your autograph?" :) You're famous :)
We call them garage sales up here in the North. It's fun no matter what they are called. :) I'm getting ready to have a huge one in Sept. I'm going through all the boxes in storage, craft room, etc.Lots of work and the end result, A cleaned out room, less stuff and a little cash to go out and buy MORE.....OH NO :( :(
Take Care,
Warmly, Deb

Anonymous said...

Great articles!

Anonymous said...

you are too nice Rhoda, thanks for your message and yes my real life friends think I am a cross between a bit mad and sometimes ya know that it's all a bit 'unpleasant' to go out sorting through other people's castoffs! Do you get that feeling off people???!!! to be honest I keep my thrifting a bit on the secret side with certain people, it just aint the done thing...that's really how the blog started and yep it is SO nice to frequent people who 'get it' isn't it? love this little bloggy world...heehee

now I must go and do some laundry I only wish my laundry room looked a teeny bit like yours, at the moment it's hard to move in there and is the next project on my list - eeeuuuuuhhh a big one

S

Kitty Scraps said...

Congratulations Miz Rhoda, it's a great article and really captures your enthusiasm. I wish you lived near me so I could tag along on your yard sale outings, maybe your skills would rub off on me, lol

I'm sure your phone is going to be ringing alot now with all the positive press coverage which translates into more delightful, decorating eye candy blog reading for us all. LOL You have shown us some amazing transformations and I know there's more to come, Congratulations again.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Congratulations on that great article...lots of publicity for you! You must be elated, DebraK

Jill said...

Hooray for you, Rhoda! I read the online version and it was so good. So glad to hear you've already gotten a call.

Anonymous said...

Im am just tickled pink! One of my girls made the paper.... Way to go Rhoda!..... Sounds like fun for September... so sweet of you to take us all in under your wing... Susie H~

Anonymous said...

Well, look at you - you're famous! Woo Hoo! Congratulations on such a great article.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Love it, Rho! Awesome article - so fun to see you in action! I so wish that I could come out to yard sale with you - how fun! I am planning on traveling back to TX for guess what...the fall neighborhood sales in my old hometown. I plan on loading up and coming home with a bunch of goodes. They are the best and definitely not to be missed!

Take care!

Unknown said...

How exciting Rhonda! YOu are a local celebrity!
Hugs,
Robyn

Judy said...

Good morning superstar! I e-mailed the article to my DIL because I forgot to ask her if they got the paper.

I'm almost through with the floor and it looks amazing! Going to "finalize" my wall color for the kitchen this week and get that done along with the cabinets so I can finish up in that room.

Thanks again for ALL your help and advice!

XOXO
Judy

willzmom said...

Congratulations! Rhoda I know your new business is going to take off like crazy now. I might have to camp out on the lawn on your yard sail weekend-or get up at 2 a.m and drive from the Nashville area!

Oliver's said...

Congratulations to you. I am so proud for you. You will be a busy girl for sure now with all the publicity. No one can resist a thrifty diva! Smiles Paula

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the article Rhoda!

I made your Asian Slaw yesterday. Can't wait to try it.

Pat

SarahWhite said...

Congrats Rho...I read the articles Saturday morning as I was scanning yard sales. You are officially a Supa-Sta!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

HOW EXCITING!!! This is wonderful. You have probably created history you know by joining the newspaper community to the blog community!!! You go girl!
Blessings, Debbie
ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com

Natasha said...

What a wonderful article! I have to tell you that I absolutly adore your BLOG. I find inspiration everytime I read it.

I look forward to september/October for some cooler weather to yard sale in :)
Thank you for a wonderful blog to read
Natasha

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Yay Rhoda!!! I'm so happy for you!!

Darlene said...

That was a great article. Isn't the thrill of the hunt just exhilirating (sp)?? We are all so proud of you!!!

Unknown said...

Yeaaaaaaaaa!!! I'm so excited for you! That's just fantastic! It's always good to see good things happen to good people!

Shirlee said...

Hi Rhonda, I read your blog faithfully but don't always leave a comment. However I just wanted to say "congratulations" on the article and what a wonderful plug for your business. I always enjoy seeing your yard/thrift finds and makeovers too.
Oh, I also wanted to add that your master bedroom is gorgeous. You definitely have the knack for putting a room together (and on a budget).
Best to you with your new business!
:)

Anonymous said...

Well how cool is that ??? Nice article.

I love the new color on your header, one of my faves !!!

Have a great week....
Kathy :)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

That is amazing!!! I haven't read the whole article yet, since I'm "working" (wink, wink) but will later. And what a commentary…The “W” stands alone in the corner waiting for someone to take him home. ;-) The yard sales have been pitiful in my neck of the woods this year...what a let down, since I have this new place to furnish! So I like to live through others' triumphs vicariously. And I’m very far away in NJ but am tempted to join you on your Birmingham yard sale trip in September, LOL.

Joanna said...

That is so awesome!!

Anonymous said...

What a great article. Your new business should really take off. You can re-invent anything!!!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda!! Neat post!!I enjoyed reading about your fame!

Sandy said...

I'm so glad I came to visit! How fun Rhoda! You are a movie star. LOL. I bet a lot of people are happy to read your tips.

Sue said...

What a wonderful article Rhoda. This will surly help jump start your new business venture.
Your advice was so concise and truly informative.
The pictures were great and the writer really did a good job with the text. Very entertaining to read as well as descriptive.
Hugs,
Sue

Nancy Hood said...

Yay Rhoda!! So proud for you!!! I always love coming to your site, 'cause I always leave having learned something useful~

Cindy said...

How exciting! That is great that they mentioned your blog and your business! Now I want to go hit some yard sales and it's only Monday!

Catty Wampus said...

Congrats on becoming famous!!! You deserve it; you are such a nice person and you really work hard! Thanks for the nice comments on my blog too; Murphy sends you a big bulldog hug! As do Niles,Zoey and Bitsy (Sydney) I wish I lived in your area; I'd love to go thrifting with you too! Merrie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rhonda! How wonderful. You are doing an amazing job and you should be so proud. Great Job, I would love to see the clock! Many Blessings, Dana

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

A;; I can say is woow way to go!!! Have a great Tuesday....mary

Trixi said...

Rhoda, you are famous. How exciting!! It's a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

CONGRATULATIONS RHODA!! What a wonderful article!

Donna said...

Wow, Rhoda! Congratulations! What a great article they did on you.
That's great!

Missy Wertz said...

Rhoda, I was cleaning out our African Queen's, uh I mean... Grey's cage last night and (I am ashamed to say, but that is when I go thru the news paper...) and I found your article! Of course, I could not let Zoey make a nest out of your article. I used a different section of the paper, like the sports section to line her cage instead. ;-)

Loved reading it. I love the below deck make over. I need to do something similar. It is on a list of things to do before I die.

I do not have the patience for yard sales. Once, when dd was first born, I needed some specific photo propts and a little pumpkin seat thingy. A friend at church who yard sales all the time took my money and shopping list, got all my stuff, and brought me change. I was most impressed! And everything was new and in mint condition!

Good job and congrats on the article!

angela | the painted house said...

What a great write-up! I am so with you, girl, on this one. There is nothing like the thrill of finding the perfect treasure!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

Amy said...

How AWESOME are you!! They came across a real "find" when they features you!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I am so excited for you! Did you ever think such a thing?!?!?! Glad that even more people can be blessed by your inspiration!