Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Decoupage: 101

Have you decoupaged anything lately? I was big into decoupage several years ago, but it's been awhile since I got out the ole' Mod Podge. This stuff has been around forever, but I never got into decoupage in the 70's with everyone else. Mine was in the 90's and it still comes in handy sometimes. So, I found this letter at a yardsale for 50 cents. It was white, so I painted it black. Then, I figured I snazz it up a bit more, so picked up some leopard tissue paper from Hobby Lobby. I'm really liking those leopard accents a lot.
Cut a square to go over the letter.
Brush the glue over the top and sides.
You'll have to cut the paper to fit down inside the letter. And then start smoothing down the tissue paper trying to get it all down snugly without any edges sticking up adding more glue as you go. Wrap it around the backside if you need to, it won't show. I had to go back and add a little more tissue paper to the insides and a couple of corners, but that's the beauty of this thin paper, you can layer it and it doesn't show. Try not to touch it too much cause it tends to pull up where your fingers touch. It will have a few wrinkles, but that's just fine. Let it dry well....
And then find someplace to sit or hang it. This one has hangers, so it may end up on the wall somewhere.
I added it to my office nook wall along with my big "R". Just thought you'd enjoy this little project with me!

Don't forget our PARTY this Thursday. The "share your favorite yardsale/thrifting find" PARTY. I'll post late Wednesday, so that you all can get linked up through Mr. Linky. Click here for all the details! Can't wait to see all of YOUR finds too.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

51 friends stopped by:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda,

I really like this. Looks very snazzy with the leopard. That tissue paper idea is a good one because scrap book paper would probably be a bit thick. Thanks for that tip!

And congrats on your article in the paper. Way to go, girl! Enjoyed reading it all. Thank you for sharing with us.

Still having computer problems which translates into being online sporadically, but looking forward to seeing what everyone posts for their favorite finds. Maybe at some point, you'll do it again when I have my computer situation solved. In the mean time, can't wait till Thursday! :-)

All the best,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

It looks great. I'll see you Thursday.

Teresa said...

The 'M' looks great. I love those pictures of your office space. Wonderful yard sale article, too!

I'm having a giveaway, stop over if you'd like...

Johannah said...

I have been enjoying this blog. I especially love your laundry room!
I have to comment on this post because I am in the business of making letters pretty:

http://www.wispofwhimsy.ca/search/label/Painted%20ALPHABET%20LETTERS

Johannah

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Lady, you are just too talented!!!

I love the way it looks all done. I'd have never thought to do it.

I do love to decoupage though! It's been quite a while since I've done any, but maybe I'll find something to do soon...

Marie said...

I recently bought toile tissue paper with the intent on decopauging something. I just haven't decided on what yet. lol I love the M. I'm partial to that letter. :o) I think I'll be joining you on Thursday... do you need advance notice or do I just link up to you on that day?

Free Art Printables said...

I love what you did...Don't you just love decoupage! I think you get so much for so little! Jen R

Amber said...

I just did this this past week too! I didn't get into decoupage either in the 70's because well...I wasn't born until the 80's. ;o)
Anyway, I did letters for my daughters room. I used scrapbook paper and it worked out great.
I'm going to do a project week next week on my blog and I'll feature that one day.
And...my table is done, I'm going to feature that one day too.
I love your blog!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
That looks great. I haven't decoupaged anything in years! I'll have to be on the lookout for something to put the leopard print on.
Your tutorial and directions are awesome!
Thanks for dropping by today and for your sweet comments about my house. I'm getting alot done on the inside thanks to all the wonderful ideas I'm getting on all these blogs! Looking forward to posting my link on Thursday.
Have a great day,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Dont you just love that stuff!!!.Yours came out great! I always have some mod podge oh hand. YOu just never know when you need to deco something.... Taks care! Susie h!

Valarie Lea said...

Love it! Very Cute and simple, I may do this with my 14 year old who wants some zebra print in her room. Just a little, but not to much. :)

Caren said...

Great idea! I haven't been into decoupage much but it looks like I really ought to give it a try!

Stacey said...

While reading the paper Sunday morning Mark asked if I wanted part of it. I sleepily said no, then, HEY! I KNOW WHO THIS IS!

It is so good when you can do what you love! You are very talented.

A Lovely Thing said...

I started a little set of desk top drawers that I need to finish. I decoupaged the drawer fronts before painting the rest -- a bit out of order. We'll see how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

Looks great Rhoda. I used to decoupage quite a bit. During the early 70's I belonged to an extension club and demonstrated decoupage a few times. I have mod podge in my goodies. Perhaps I'll do something, with it.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

The letter looks ab fab! I also love leopard print, and have to find that tissue paper!
Congratulations on the newspaper feature also--it was a great article!

Blessings,
Stacey

Chris said...

I love it, Rhoda. I especially love all intricate instructions you gave. I always need more explanation than most. Thank you!

Sue said...

This looks so good! I have never tried decoupaging but you have definitely sparked an interest. I must try this! I, too, love the detailed instructions.
Sue

A Hint of Home said...

Your M turned out very cute. Thanks for sharing the idea. It looks great on your wall.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Oh I like it! And, of course, your office is the best!

It was so cool is be featured in your local paper! You should hold classes. ((hugs)) Rosie

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love the letter, Congrats on making the paper again you yardsaling diva and that salad in the post below looks so yummy! I've copied the recipe and am going to make it soon for a family gathering!
Have a great week.
Blessings,
Sandy

Lana said...

Hi, my name is Lana! I stumbled upon your blog and I love it! My fiance and I are currently building a house so I am in the re-decorating phase! I hope you don't mind if I save your blog and look at it in the future! Your ideas and tips are wonderful!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

thanks for the tutorial! i've never used mod-podge (gasp!) but I'm now I'll have to look for a project to try-or a 50 cent letter!

check out my feeble attempt to copy your lampshade on my blog sometime. I'm really happy with it and so thankful for your inspiration.

-kristen

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Rhoda,

Thanks for the instructions on how to decoupage. I've never done it before. It looks pretty easy. Thanks for visiting my house tour!

Brandee :-)

Deserae said...

Great little project....love the touch of leopard in your office too :o) Have a great week!
~Des

Donna said...

What a fabulous idea, I love it!

Unknown said...

Very nice Rhoda. I like the leopord print also.

Unknown said...

Hey! Very cool! I will have to try this myself. Next week I have a post scheduled for initials and monograms.
I think they are great gifts and good for spots that you need to fill.
I hope you will come by and see.

~~Liz ~~

Unknown said...

Rhonda too cute! Great idea thanks!
Hugs,
Robyn

Kitty Scraps said...

Hello Miz Rhoda,
I love Mod Podge, that stuff is great but I never once thought to use tissue paper with it! You're brilliant and I heart the lepoard print on your letter. I see a copy cat project in my future :) Great tut!

Nicole said...

It looks great. I would have never thought to use tissue paper. I'm glad to know it works so well because there is a lot of pretty tissue paper out there.

Becky said...

What a fantastic idea!

Katrina said...

I love it! I decoupaged a wooden jewellery box when I was in high school. Took me ages!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda...I just completed decoupaging a letter K for my DD...I painted the K red and then I used black and white toile tissue...the white completely disappeared so the black design showed up on the red background...very nice!!
Hugs,
Robin

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Rhoda, I adore this! I have never decoupaged and now I am just going to have to! Thanks for the tutorial. You make it look so easy!
Penny

nikkicrumpet said...

Rhoda,

first thanks so much for visiting my fledgling blog. I'm having a blast in blogland..I'm sorry it took me so long to find my way here. Second I just gotta say that leopard "M" is ADORABLE. I'm just dying because now I want to run out and find me a big old letter...any letter I'm not picky lol. What a great idea...thanks so much for the inspiration. I'm probably one of the few people on the planet that has never done the decopage thing. I can't wait to try it out. I hope you don't mind but I'm gonna add you to my blog list. So I can keep sneaking back here and stealing your ideas :}

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love the leopard print on the M.
It looks great!!
Congrats on your newspaper article.
It's so great!!!
Sorry I haven't been able to visit as often, but I am constantly busy with my artwork these days.
Rosemary

j said...

It REALLY turned out so well! We have done just a little, but not anything spectacular.

Jen

Anonymous said...

hey Rhoda, it looks fantastic, I'm amazed how things can be transformed, I've never tried Modge Podge, in fact I wouldn't even know where to start looking for it. I'm gonna have to look out for tissue paper for various projects, I reckon it has many different uses!

i'm in for Thursday, it was a very, very hard choice as I've now thrifted so many things in the cottage

Sarah

Nancy Hood said...

just beautiful, Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

So cute, I love the leopard print. I have always painted the letters I have found but the decoupage is a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration, Dana

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Nice job Rhoda, you are sooo talented girl!

Hugs,
Rose

Cindi said...

Great idea! I finally got to go to a Hobby Lobby when I visited my friend who lives in another state. I saw that tissue paper and loved it but didn't have an idea for it. I'm definately picking it up next time!

By the way, I left you something on my blog.

Mary said...

How cute is that! Good job!

ElizabethClare said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm new to mod-podge. Can't wait to try some. It seems like a great way to make an inexpenive decoration for your home. I'm all about living on the cheap!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Love it...we've had so much fun breaking out the Modge Podge lately. We just redid a cabinet/hutch and modge podged scrapbook paper on the back...one little bottle does amazing things. Thanks for sharing...can't wait for the yard sale!

Stacy said...

This looks great! Like something you would pay big bucks for! I love it!

Continued success to you!

~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a great idea here Rhoda. I love this!!!! Looks so good on your wall too. I am going to be doing this soon!

Gretchen said...

I'm buying deco podge tomorrow!
I didn't know it came in matte ... perfect!

I love your idea. I've had the letter 'R' sitting on my desk, needing some love for over a year.
You've inspired me!

P2P said...

That's great Rhoda!
My 2 cents...to showcase the original colour of the paper, coat the base with white acrylic paint next time ;-))
kat.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Could you use scrapbook paper? My youngest (6-year-old) daughter is OBSESSED with pink leopard. ;)

Any way, I wanted to find pink leopard wall letters and of course don't want to spend a lot of money. This gave me an idea!!!!