Monday, November 17, 2008

Meet Eddie Ross

There are not many reality shows that I watch, in fact only the design shows are on my DVR these days. And Top Design was the show that I watched during the Fall season that was fun and entertaining, with plenty of drama in the competition. One guy who I could relate to as far as traditional and classic design and who stood out not only to me, but to a lot of folks, was Eddie Ross, and I recently discovered he has a blog! And wow, is it a great blog. You are going to love it too, so I had to share it with all of you. Eddie has such great style and creativity and shares it all on his blog. And his blog is so down to earth, with beautiful real pics of his own home that show all his projects up close and personal. You will want to try them all! And his motto is, "it doesn't have to be expensive to be beautiful." I couldn't have said it better myself!

At only 30 years old, Eddie is a culinary school graduate and lives in New York, where he works as Senior Style Editor for Martha Stewart Living (yes, THE Martha!). His talents range from decorating and entertaining to food styling and flowers and his blog is chock full of great informative posts to soak up. What I really love about Eddie is his passion for shopping flea markets and thriftstores, from Goodwill to Salvation Army. He takes his readers with him and shows them all the valuable treasures that he uncovers on those thriftstore shelves and flea market jaunts and even gives ideas right on the spot of what he would do with said items. Now, that is something I can relate to, as you all know! He regularly visits the Hell's Kitchen flea market in NYC and finds all sorts of cool things. He's only been blogging since summer and already it's a teriffic blog. I predict we'll be seeing a lot more of Eddie!
Eddie has fantastic pics on his blog, such as this beautiful floral arrangement (how simple, but elegant is that?) and shares all sorts of wonderfully creative, but budget friendly ideas on entertaining and setting a beautiful table.

And for Halloween, he came up with some extra special white pumpkins of his own. My kind o' guy!
His furniture projects are great! Check out this china cabinet that got a total makeover. From predictable and a bit tired....
To all-out glam and WOW. I just love how he used mirror in place of the glass and painted it all white. You know how I love a good furniture makeover. And he updates all of these pieces on the roof of his apartment building. You gotta love that!
Lampshade makeovers, which I dearly love. He found 3 plain drum shades and changed them up with spray paint and something called spike tape, which I am not familiar with, but will definitely check out.
And he even changes out his own light fixtures (like me!) and collects white ironstone. He and his partner, Jaithan live in a small NYC apartment that looks like a million bucks.
Dried hydrangeas find a new home in a flea market silver container.
Eddie and his grandfather refurbished this old cabinet years ago and it holds his extensive collection of white ironstone (which I am completely green with envy over, by the way!)
Eddie's stylish NY apartment, with 2 flea market chairs that he recently rehabbed is featured in the November issue of Domino, which I just picked up and can't wait to scour. Get yourself a copy! I just love all the neutrals in their apartment, so soothing yet fresh and yet very approachable as something I could aspire to myself.
And this is the top of a column table he completely revamped into a bar. You will have to see this makeover to believe it. This is painted linen on top.
A fern terrarium that Eddie made and check out that old door with the sillouette behind it.
This folding screen was actually old closet doors found in the trash curbside (hello! he's a trash picker, I love that!) and Eddie revamped them using decoupaged pics printed out of a book into a work of art, beautiful folding screen for the corner of his apartment. Aren't Eddie's pics just great?! He graciously allowed me to use them for this post. Yes, I'm officially an Eddie Ross fan!

W
hat really impresses me about Eddie is his love of classic and traditional design, but he infuses it with a contemporary and fresh flair. And of course I love his resourcefulness in thinking outside the box and shopping unconventional places, since that's the way I love to shop too. And he doesn't break the bank, but looks for ways to keep his place looking stylish and glam on a budget. Now that I can relate to! I think you will all enjoy Eddie's blog tremendously and I hope you'll go on over, say hello and leave him a comment. He's a very friendly guy. I predict that you'll soon be adding him to your blog feeds too.

T
ell him I sent you. Then come back and let me know what you think. We're buds now. They added me to their favorite bloglist! :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

51 friends stopped by:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What a fresh site! LOve it. I am so adding it to my blogroll so I can check it out often. Thanks for the lead, Rhoda! Hope you are enjoying your trip!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I can hear the excitement in your writing! I have never heard of this guy, but I plan to check out his blog. You know he must be ultra talented to work for THE Martha!
Thanks for telling us about him.
Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

I've already visited Eddie and added him to my list. Very interesting and I especially, as an ironstone collector, love those photos.

Lulu said...

hmm..Eddie Ross is fabulous!! Thanks for sharing!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I will pop right over and bring some biscuits with me.
Have fun with Miss Daisy!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Rhoda, I love you. Eddie? Well, I watched Top Design and felt that Eddie was either 1) cruel and rude to others or 2) he was playing a villain role to make a reality-world name for himself.

Some of his designs are lovely, but I have a hard time getting past the mean personality I saw on TV.

To me, elegance and gracious living starts with a kind and giving heart such as yours.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Francie, I agree that they made Eddie look bad on that show, but if you read his blog I think you might change your mind. He mentioned on a post after he was off the show that they edited him to really make him look bad & I've heard that so much about reality shows.

Terri Steffes said...

Wow, I need to check this out! What a fabulous endorsement! Thanks for leading us down this path!

Anonymous said...

How enjoyable and exciting! I love to visit new blogs and I am thrilled that you shared this on a slow Monday morning. It gives me plenty of time to visit! You are so full of enthusiasm for his style that it must be glorious.

Have a wonderful week,
Jen

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh Rhoda, you are sooo nice!!

I'm a self proclaimed "blog hog" and sometimes when I find a fabulous new blog, I just want to keep the secret all to myself for a while. :) I do end up sharing eventually, but I love that you just blurted this out for all your readers. :)

You're much nicer than I am. haha!

Wendy said...

Thanks so much for sharing! Now I have another design blog to read.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Wonderful ideas! The white is so fresh and clean. Thanks for the tip on the site.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What lovely pictures -- just my style! I'm going to check out his blog right now! :)

Anonymous said...

Eddie is talented, but he's much more like the person on Top Design than he's not. Just read Margaret Russell's blog on Bravo for her opinion of him as a person. Remember, while the editors can shape a character, they don't put words in their mouths; he did say all manner of mean things. He's sweet to your face if he thinks he can get something from you, but once he thinks you are no longer of value, he turns his back pretty fast. I liked him when I first met him, but have come to realize he gives a very good first impression, but has no real soul.

niartist said...

Rhoda,
I hope you have a chance to stop by the blog today, you're my first feature. Comments work as votes, and I'd love for you to get this book. It's filled with TONS of great tips on picking valuable treasure in the heaps of trash. The more people you can drive over to leave a comment, the better chance you will have! I hope you like the post, too! Let me know if you'd like for me to change anything.

Decor To Adore said...

I love Eddie too!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Wow Rhoda, thanks for this lead. I adored what I saw when I clicked on Eddie's blog. I especially love what he did to the antique secretary. I painted my black and it was almost the same one. Never thought of adding mirror behing it though. . . hmmmm!!

Blessings,

Sher

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, I just love Eddie Ross and his sense of smile! I follow his blog also, and have gotten a reply when I commented...which I was really surprised and excited about! Really nice guy and super talented! :) ~Rhonda

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

oppps...meant to say love his sense of STYLE...but he does have a great "smile," too! LOL!

sandra/tx said...

I loved Eddie on Design Star, and I've really enjoyed getting to know him through his blog. I'm always impressed with how he follows up comments with a personal e-mail.

Sandi McBride said...

I remember him on the show! I am anxious to go visit since I too love a thrift shop and flea markets...see how much we have in common Rhoda? Are you home now? Hope you had a great time at Kat's!
hugs
Sandi

Anonymous said...

*** Oh, Rhoda, I was SO EXCITED to find yet another, hopefully terriffic design blog!!! Now tho, I am soooo disapponted to learn that Eddie is "THAT GUY" from Design Star! I was sooo enjoying the pics UNTIL I learned it was "him"! Would have certainly enjoyed going to & reading/seeing his blog, but I must agree with FRANTIC HOME COOK (especially her last sentence here!) and ANONYMOUS (10:02 a.m.). It's a sad reality, but I believe one of the ONLY things in life that "can't be returned" is what comes out of one's mouth... I DO, however, wish him well, of course, as he is very talented! Hope you're enjoying every minute at KAT'S PARADISE!!!Hugs to you, Linda

Tonja said...

Yes, he's great! I have been reading him for some time now, and love the simplicity of his style. He is very easy to read and his blog makes you think, "Hey, I can do that!"

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Thanks for the tip Rhoda! He sold me at that amazing desk/hutch renovation. I can't believe it! I am excited to go and check out his site! :) Thanks!
Carrie

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hi Rhoda, great post! I read your great article at Domestic Bliss too. Great job...it is about time they found out about you, or maybe they found out a while ago....Anyhow, we get to enjoy your thoughts in more than one place and I for one love it! Blessings,
Debbie

Heather said...

What fantastic inspiration!!!!! Oh so many ideas so little time........
Thanks for sharing this! I think it is going to be a new favorite for sure!!
Heather:)

Four Paws and Co said...

Thanks Rhoda! I loved watching Top Design & will add Eddie to my blog list. :0} Diane

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love Eddie's blog!
Thanks for sharing!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I've been totally hooked on Eddie's blog, too! He just started doing flea market tours in NYC and as much as I could just go on my own...I'm thinking of paying to go on one with him. For the sake of my blog, and all. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think I love Eddie now too~

Tracy said...

Oh goody a great site to drool over. LOL Thanks for sharing Rhoda.
Hope you are having a great time at the beach! I am so jealous :)

A Hint of Home said...

Thanks for posting so many pretty items. I will have to go over and check out his site.
I bet you had a great time at Kat's.

Liz Harrell said...

These pictures are making me salivate! I'm headed over to the site right now! Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Hello Rhoda and all your readers!

Thank you for such kind words. I'm so excited to be able to share with you all of my finds and ideas. Rhoda, dear, you're so sweet and generous to write about me, and I can only hope to return the favor soon! Come to think about it...I can't wait to do a shopping trip together!

Fondly,
Eddie

Natasha said...

What a wonderful site..... I feel as if I am there with them going to the flea markets.

Thank you for sharing another great blog.
Natasha

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I've checked out his blog, and you are right...it was added to my list! He is very talented. Thanks for the tip.
Diane

cherry said...

Girl you found a goodie! Always love to find some new inspiration! He rocks! THanks for the linky and thank you soooo much for coming by and lifting me up...meant alot (:

Anonymous said...

Terrific Photos.
They did make him look bad. It's nice to know he isn't.

Anonymous said...

wow, his house is cuter than Martha's! Thanks for sharing! Julie Schaal-Carroll, IA

CMB said...

Thanks for the introduction...what great style & fabulous pictures!

Angie said...

I am so excited to have a new blog to read and get ideas from! Thanks for letting us know about him!

Angie Lessard said...

I absolutely love your website, but I have to say...I've spent way to much time on it!!! :) I can't pull myself away from the computer now that I've discovered decor blogs.

You have a beautiful home and such inspirational ideas!!! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

He, of course, looks like my kinda man....I'm on my way there now

Sarah

Christine said...

I visit Eddies blog alot and am always amazed at his garage sale finds and even the things he finds in the garbage! Did you see the room divder he found that someone had thrown away? It is a work of art now! He is amazing. I love your blog and all your wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for sharing here!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Can't wait to go visit, and I am so excited because that china cabinet that he painted White...I HAVE THE SAME ONE that I picked up at a yard sale and have been wondering what to do. I was going to do mine black.

Emily said...

I'm also a big fan of Eddie's - he linked to your post this morning and now I'm following you, too! Looking forward to getting to know you, Rhoda!

Katie said...

I love his style! I'm so glad that you found his site and showed it to us. YEA! Thanks, Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

I am hearing of Eddie all over the place. This guy is great & so is his blog! Great post Rhoda:)

Unknown said...

For anyone who believes that Reality TV is actually real, please read this. Eddie is not the negative, mean person portrayed on Top Design. Not only is he super talented he is kindhearted, positive and one of the nicest people I know. He has a huge personality, and I am disappointed that the editors at Bravo decided to twist things around and make him the villain. Don't beleive everything you see.

Karena said...

Rhoda, thank you so much for doing a feature on Eddie. He is wonderful! One if the things that I think makes him so special as a designer is his willingness to share his makeoover ideas and tips!

Anonymous said...

I know that this is going to sound mean, but Eddie is not the sweet, good-natured person that everyone seems to be thinking that he is. I've known him for many years, and he's exactly as he came across on Top Design. Granted, he's got an amazing talent as a stylist. In the end, though, he's really not nice at all—-unless he thinks you can do something for him...or praise his insatiable ego. I'm amazed at how many people are falling for his big act.