Saturday, November 22, 2008

Suffering in Destin

(Note: Enlarging my pics the old way is not working now through Blogger, so I am enlarging some of them manually as I post them. I've noticed that they are grainy though, so click on each pic to enlarge and clarify. I hope they get this resolved soon! It's driving me crazy!)
Just in case you felt sorry for us, volunteering to leave our home for a few days to dog-sit in Florida, after you see these pics, you will quickly change your mind. My friend, Kat has mentioned numerous times that they live in paradise. Well, I can certainly vouch for that now. Paradise, it is!

We had a wonderful time at Kat and George's house. If you haven't visited Kat before, go on over to JustaBeachKat and meet her. Kat is such a genuine and sweet lady and I'm so happy we have gotten to know them. Suffering we were NOT, as we lolled around their beautiful home taking care of that adorable Miss Daisy. Above is their front door and they live in a beautiful golf community in Destin in a comfortable and well-appointed home. Kat probably wouldn't show you all around like I would, so come on along for a lookie!
Guestroom #2, we stayed in the other one, but I loved this one as well. Kat has exquisite taste and everything in her home is impecably beautiful. And no, I wouldn't change a thing!
Twin beds in one guestroom. Didn't get a great shot of this room, but it is so pretty too.
This is the guestroom we stayed in. Better than any 5 star hotel.
See how pretty the bed linens are? We had to keep our door shut so Miss Daisy wouldn't drag off any slippers or socks.
All of the floors are old brick or hardwoods. Don't you just love this? It's gorgeous!
Guestroom side of the house, looking into the greatroom and kitchen area.
Me and Daisy hung out on the lanai one afternoon when it was a little warmer. It actually was chilly part of the time, but she and I managed to walk everyday and get some exercise. We needed that, with all the food we consumed.
Lazy me, propped up on the lanai.
And right outside is this pretty refreshing pool, but it was too chilly to enjoy it right now.
The lanai, with a peek in that door into the master bedroom. Kat told me I could take pics, so I did! But, I decided not to invade their privacy too much, so didn't take the master bedroom and bath. Take my word for it, it's to die for!
They have rustic beams down the main hallway and here in the diningroom. So stately and gorgeous is the diningroom.
Here's the kitchen, with all black cabinets. A dream kitchen for sure.
These are a little out of order, so we're back to the diningroom. Isn't it grand? Check out the wine cellar.
This diningroom could definitely grace the pages of Southern Accents or Traditional Home.
And here's the study where Kat blogs and I got to blog while we were there. Very comfy!
They have a nice study that they share, so me and hubby were in there together. He can work anywhere with his laptop, so it worked out well.
And this is the foyer table coming in the frontdoor.

So while they were on vacation, it was like WE were on vacation at their house. Kat set us up with lunch at their beach club, so we really enjoyed that one afternoon, as well as the beach chairs under the cabana on the beach. I'll have a few beach pics to share with you too, so come back for those. What's Destin without the beautiful beaches? I also did a day of shopping, so I'll post those soon too. Lots of fun antique goodies to look at, I think you'll enjoy them! Peter took his fishing pole and thoroughly enjoyed catching and releasing a few large mouth bass in the numerous ponds around the neighborhood. That made his week! We'd definitely do this gig again next year! Miss Daisy is a sweetie and easy to love.

Come back Monday for more! Even though it was a little chilly this time of year, it was still beautiful and lots of fun.
Looks like we'll have 2 of Peter's kids home for Thanksgiving and I'll be cooking this year. I think there will be 6 of us, including Peter's mom, Barbara and Grandma Eleanor, so I've got to get my menu planned and set the diningroom table. I'll share pics of that next week. Eddie Ross has inspired me to set a pretty table this year!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 friends stopped by:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda,

Kat's house is wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour! There are so many things I heart about it, and I know you were delighted to get to babysit Miss Daisy. Among the things I liked best were those floors! And then the great furnishings, colors, and of course, you, Daisy, and Mr. Southern Hospitality show it off to perfection.

I'll be sure to stop by your friends' blogs and take a peek. Running like a crazy woman again today. Is there an emoticon for that? :-)

XOXOXO,

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda,

Kat's house is wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour! There are so many things I heart about it, and I know you were delighted to get to babysit Miss Daisy. Among the things I liked best were those floors! And then the great furnishings, colors, and of course, you, Daisy, and Mr. Southern Hospitality show it off to perfection.

I'll be sure to stop by your friends' blogs and take a peek. Running like a crazy woman again today. Is there an emoticon for that? :-)

XOXOXO,

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

See, Rhoda, SEE! Somehow two messages appeared! LOL!

Sheila... quitting while the quitting's good! ;-)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You lucky ducks. I was really thinking we'd get some scoop... a dirty laundry room or messy closet?
They do have a beautiful home; it is so Just a Beach Kat.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh my!! Just stunning!! I love those floors!

Anonymous said...

That house is just amazing. It's so beautiful!

Adrienne said...

Oh you poor dear! You had to suffer, did you? Well at least you showed us where you were struggling so. It helps to know what our friends have to go through! Thanks for sharing the pics - great house. I'd be willing to suffer there next time so you don't have to! ~Adrienne~

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wow! What a beautiful place to stay!
Much better than even the finest hotel. Love, love those brick floors.

Kimberly :)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Thanks for sharing Kat's beautiful home and Miss Daisy.. I know it was a tough job and someone had to house sit....so glad it could be you..lol..hugs ~lynne~

Ms. Tee said...

The photo of you is really cute. :)
I didn't know you could enlarge photos manually - I must learn how to do that for sure.
Your friend's house is amazingly beautiful. Those bedrooms are so serene and calming, and the brick floor is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I bet you are cold in Bham today...we are in MS-it's 2:45 and I'm in my pj's. I hardly ever do this! LOL

I wondered if it was very cold in Destin!

I think Kat has a beautiful home...love the brick floors and all her accessories!

Destin is a beautiful place, and looks like they have a lovely home-that is paradise indeed!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Diane

Terri Steffes said...

Rhoda, what a fun time you must have had! Thank you so much for taking pics of Kat's home... she would not have shown us how beautiful it is... I love the wine cellar... Bob would DIE for something like that!

Darla said...

You are a hot babe! Oh the house is cute too. ;)

Tracy said...

Rhoda, absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for going to all the trouble to show us. I've really enjoyed the tour.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Tracy

sandra/tx said...

Kat's house is amazing. Lucky you and Peter!

Anonymous said...

Oh he has me as well Rhoda! After you posted that about him the other day I really checked out his site. How he was helping a friend find just the right things for her table etc. Then I got to thinking about mine and just how I could do it. I don't have the decorating thumb like you do but I still try. ;) I've been blogging about this for days now trying to figure out HOW to do the Thanksgiving table and even asked some ladies to help me at the decorating forum I visit quite often. I am still trying to get it figured out. But they helped me to see that I like the layered look and I have been online in searches for days trying to find something I can do for the table.
I can't wait to see yours! I KNOW it will be awesome because I love all the things you do!

So glad you enjoyed your trip and hanging out with "Miss Daisy". That's too cute! I just love that!

Carol said...

How gorgeous is that house, LOVE it! So sorry you had to 'suffer'! LOL :>)
Smiles,
Carol

Jennifer said...

The tour of the house was beautiful! I am brand new to your blog and am already so glad that I have found it. The brick floors were very unique! Great picture taking too :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda,
Lucky you! Kat's house is gorgeous! What a great gig you had. And how sweet of Kat to ask you to housesit her dog and lovley home. I imagine it was vacation.
L

Southerner said...

I don't know if you remember but we just recently moved to AL from Bluewater Bay in Niceville so this is my stompin grounds- okay, shopping grounds! I know where they live and it is just so fun to shop there and ride around. I love it! We love the ACME restaurant- there is a dish that the sauce can come on the fish or chicken and we ordered it both ways- it is soooo good (I cannot remember what it is called but i think it is a signature sauce they have) and it comes with sweet potato fries on the side. I did a Bible study with 6 girls at 5:00 on Mondays- AM! We got to use one of the girl's brother in laws rental home in Destiny community. It was a five bedroom luxury home with pool and came with golf cart. We would go twice a year for a mini retreat and always had the best time. The girl is now serving in Zambia, Africa with her 9 children. One other girl from our group is serving in Uganda, Africa. They sold their home in gated Magnolia Springs that they paid in the $600K price range for $1.2million. They didn't have to raise support to go to Africa. God truly blessed them. I miss those days and friends. Have fun. I think Kat sounds a lot like my friend. Blessed tremendously with material things but so grounded and thankful to God for them.

Julie L. Light said...

Thank you for the tour of this beautiful home! The dining room is my favorite!
Have a fabulous day!
Julie

Becky K. said...

Now that is the dogsitting gig of a lifetime!

I think it is great that you have made this acqaintance and that your friendship is growing. Blogging is so neat sometimes.

Kat's home is absolutely lovely.

Thanks to both of you for sharing it.

Becky K.

Anonymous said...

Why you poor little thing, you! All closterphobic in that house!! It's a mansion and so beautiful! Really and that little Daisy gets to live there!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Picket said...

Hey girl...Ohhhh we should all be so lucky to 'suffer' like that! lol Loved the tour of Kat's pretty home...those brick floors were gorgeous! Hope you are having a great weekend and that you & your's have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Suzann said...

What a beautiful home! Obviously she has impeccable taste. I can see why you enjoyed your stay.

I'll be sure to pop by Kat's blog for a visit.

Thank you so much for the tour!!!

Bonita said...

What an elegant home! That's my kind of suffering!

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
What a gorgeous home! I love the old brick floors and dark exposed beams especially. Aren't you just the luckiest to have this gig?!?!

And thank you for taking the time to stop by my little blog and leave such a sweet comment! I'm still working on the sideboard but will let you know when it's all finished. You are such an inspiration to me and I admire your style so much. Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Lady Katherine said...

The house is so lovely, the brick floors are great! And I thought you were really suffering, sick! I would have had hard time, leaving to shop or eat. You both looked so relaxed. What fun! Miss Daisy is cute too.

Ivy Lane said...

Kat's house is beautiful! I LOVE the brick floors. Not a bad gig for dog sitting eh?!! :)

Justabeachkat said...

Awwwwww...Rhoda! How very sweet of you!

Stop by when you get a chance...I've got some awards for you sweet friend.

Hugs!
Kat

dana's design studio said...

Thanks for sharing. I haven't been by in a while...I love the new look to your blog...but it always looks good. I like the large photos, hope you find out how to correct the issues...let us know what you learn!

Dana

Tiffany said...

Hi Rhoda! Wow, let me know if you ever need a substitute doggy sitter!! Kat's house is beautiful. I should take pictures of our RV and let you do a blog on that! I could show you how to hang just about anything with velcro! Ha ha...just kidding (sort of)!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVELY home!
Make sure you visit me tomorrow!
Fifi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour of Kat's beautiful home , Rhoda! She has great taste & that kitchen with the black cabinets was sensational!
Glad you had fun! How could you not.....huh? LOL!
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

oh my I really enjoyed this, it looks more like a boutique hotel than a house, absolutely love it and I love Florida so the two combined musta been pretty awesome

...I'm catching up here with your blog...life is busy!!

Sarah

Saucy said...

What a gorgeous home she has. I miss living on a golf course. Except the balls in my yard!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

What a beautiful home! Oh, I love Destin!! I'm so jealous! Enjoy your stay!