Friday, November 21, 2008

Chandeliers make all the difference

We'll be heading home from Florida today, so this is a good time to show the yardsale chandy I found recently. I absolutely love how it looks in the guestroom AND I even found another cute chandy at the Lovelady thriftstore. They operate a thriftstore and I spotted one for $5 that is going to go in the beachy guestroom, so stay tuned for that soon.
I have to confess...I love pretty light fixtures.

From day one of moving in our home, it has been my mission to change out every single stinkin' builder's brass light fixture in the house. And I've just about succeeded in doing that. Only a couple more to go. I had bought a cute little flushmount fixture at Lowes on clearance for $10 that was originally in this room (it is now in our masterbath water closet). So, when I spotted this cute thing at the yardsale recently (for $10), I wasn't at all sure where it would go.
I actually left the sale and came back about 30 minutes later, after it dawned on me that I could make it work in the toile bedroom. So, now it's up...this one really just about kicked my butt and took me forever to get it up there right. I've taught myself how to change light fixtures out, but each of them is a little different and sometimes I really have to ponder over it and fight with it. This one was the worst.
Especially when I decided to add the ceiling medallion I picked up years ago at House Parts in Atlanta. I've been carrying this around for a long time and finally got it hung. This thing is made out of fiberglass and I had to screw it into the ceiling. Just call me Tim the Toolman, but I've really had to learn a lot being a DIYer. It's on the job training. I had painted the medallion with my Sophisticated Finishes paint in Blackened Bronze and it's a great match for the chandy. It really is a great look in the room and makes it feel cozy. You can see I did cover the shades with some of my leftover toile fabric and it is just too cute now.
And I adore it. It's a perfect just-right petite size for the bedroom. I had to twist a few of the links to shorten it a bit too so my guests won't smack themselves in the head :), but you don't really see that when you look up at it. Those things are made of iron and would not budge, so that is why the chain is slightly wonky...I'll live with it

So, there you have it! There was also a bigger traditional shaped bronze chandelier that was just beautiful, for $25...and I don't have a place for it! I would have snapped that one up too, but you might remember I changed out my diningroom and foyer chandeliers back in January. You can check out the before and afters if you want...here.
I've found several of these flushmount fixtures at yardsales and changed out all the hallways..amazing how many of these you need in a house when you start counting them up & I've found plenty. Had to paint out a few of them, but they have all worked out well. All for about $5 each.
Another pride and joy yardsale fixture from last year went over the breakfast table. You might remember this one that I was jumping up and down over....for $20.
So, I was in Lowes recently and spotted this really pretty outdoor fixture on deep discount clearance for $20. I had already bought one last year at a yardsale for $3, but this one was so much bigger and prettier, so I upgraded. This sits outside our garage doors. And I sold the old one at my yardsale. The energy saving bulb was already in there, so I left it, even though I don't like the look of them.

That's how I like to operate. It might not all be the lighting of my dreams, but I enjoy upgrading those fixtures as time and budget permit. Between yardsales and finding deals at Lowes, I've done really good in that department.

How about you...got any fixtures you're dying to change out? Be sure to check out Lowes from time to time. They really have some good discounts if you catch them in time. I only have a couple more small fixtures to change out and I'm done! New fixtures really make a huge difference.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

51 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
This is such a pretty room...I don't know that I've seen it before!

I love your new light fixture!

I agree that the new CF bulbs are ugly...but I think they are making them now in some new shapes. One of the first things we did was change our fixtures in this house. Now I wish I hadn't gotten in such a hurry cause there's a couple of them I want to change again. LOL

Diane

Anonymous said...

Love your new purchase, it looks great in the bed room. Glad you are coming home so I can see beach pictures and oh, by-the-way, I can't go on vaction without a dog/cat/goat sitter. How about a trip to Texas for a week. HEE HEE!

Terri Steffes said...

I love lighting too. I replaced my outdoor light with the same fixture last Christmas! I am looking to do something new in my LR and entry, I'll keep you "posted!"

CMB said...

The chandelier looks great...I am currently working with a cliet to de-brass her house, everytime we turn around we find another shiny piece that needs to be replaced.

Administrator said...

Wow.. you really have great vision.. I am so inspired.

I wish I had a box in my living room ceiling for a chandy. Have you ever added electric to a ceiling? Or maybe you work around it with a nonelectric chandy..

Thanks

"Blossom" said...

I wanta go shopping with you too.
Great finds here. I know when I walk in a room for some reason I always look up. I don't know if that's do to me only being 5ft and I've always looked up, but I have seen some great lighting by doing so. Have a safe trip home.
Happy Holidays
Blossom

Stacey said...

Rhoda you are so good! That new chandy is so pretty. I've had a hang up about all of my light fixtures being the same color...I think I'm going to get over it!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I am ready to change light fixtures too... I need to start looking for those good deals that you are famous for!

Vanessa Greenway said...

they're beautiful!! Love your home decor! :) Vanessa

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Wow Rhoda, what a difference your right and this gets to me to looking in my home, and I'm thinking some things have GOT TO GO! Those light fixtures make the room, don't they? Love it. Glad you had a great time in Florida, yippeee.
Debbie

Wendy said...

Love the chandelier. I'm simply dying to change out the steel and black ceiling fan in our master bedroom but I can't seem to find anything I can afford.

sigh.

Anonymous said...

I adore them all too Rhoda... and great bargains too boot.

Have a wonderful Friday!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

HI Rhoda!

Some steals of deals you have there!

Dena said...

Oh I love all of your chandies :) I have been on a lamp kick myself lately. Lighting is everything, isn't it?

Hugs,
Dena

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Love all the chandies and light fixtures!
I was wondering.......do you have enough of that toile fabric left to cover your chady's chain? Maybe it would hide the links that you couldn't remove?
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Lighting is a challenge in my condo. I live in a 1970s apartment to condo conversion (high rise). Ceilings and floors are concrete. Requires a certain level of creativity.

Lighting does make a big difference!

Anonymous said...

You are the light fixture queen! I don't know how you're so brave to mess with electricty like that. My husband doesn't even like to change out light fixtures!

Beautiful room and I love that new light fixture!

Manuela

Bonita said...

The fixtures are great, but all that toile...heavenly!

Kristi said...

Lowes is a fantastic place to find lighting deals. I have a light in my foyer - the reproduction tiffany light, that I got for $20.00 on clearance - it was the display! Have you seen my fantastic chandelier that I put in my kitchen? I rewired it myself - my first "job" and it was only $60.00 at an antique mall near Leeds. It is one of my "favorite things!"

Judy said...

Ya know I'm a chandy lover too and use them every chance I get. I bought one at a litle flea market in Charleston earlier this year I'm dying to use over my sink in the kitchen but it's got to be professionally rewired and that will cost more than the chandy so I'm looking for another one....I really want to use the Charleston one though.

The one we hung in my bathroom was a little long too so here's a little tip for you if you don't want to shorten the chain....David took one of those cable twist ties, I sprayed it white (to match the chain) and he just pulled up the chandy to the height I wanted and tied it up with the cable tie -it hangs perfectly straight and you can't tell the tie thingy is even there, just cut off it's tail!

Judy

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhoda,

I hope you had a nice time in FL, bet it will nice to get home, always is after some time away :)

That chandy looks GREAT !!! I scored a great chandy for over our breakfast table over the summer. Thank God I have a handy hubby or it would still be in the box. I admire your spunk.

I would love to put a chandy over the bed in the MB but I just can't give up our ceiling fan, I tell you that thing lulls me to sleep in the summer, I just love it, maybe I could switch off with the seasons...lol

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

Tardevil said...

It turned out beautiful. But about that ceiling medallion...I've been thinking of having my painters add one in my dining room, but they said you have to put a bonder on it 1st. Then was that a paint color you listed or a stain? I love the shade it turned out to be. It would go well w/ my oil rubbed bronze chandy.

Tardevil said...

And OBTW, those drapery panels are awesome! LOVE THEM!

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Great Job! lighting fixtures are so important in the look of your home. :-)

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I love that chandelier with the leaves on the bottom. I bought a chandelier on ebay for $89 and it was brand new and valued at $700!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ok, I admit it, I still have almost all the ugly brass light fixtures. To see how much of a change occurs from a light fixture, I am kicking myself for not snapping up adorable ones I have seen at yard sales. I just kept thinking we'd have to hire someone to hang them since we have no idea what to do.
Oh, and I went over to Eddie's, left him a LONG comment about how wonderful you were...hee hee...and now..yipee, he has confirmed it for all to see.

Holly said...

Oooh, I really like the one over the breakfast table! I haven't been so lucky at thrift stores or yardsales yet. I have a lot I need to get though. Our house was new last spring, and we still have bare lightbulbs in several of the rooms. Nice.

Ally's Corner said...

I love Lowe's they have great lights to choose from. They also have wonderful sales, you just have to keep an eye out.
Here is a $15.00 Chandelier that came from Lowe's. I put it in my Laundry Room.
http://allyscorner-ally0005.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-laundry-room.html

Kristi said...

Hi Rhoda - here is the link to my post about my chandelier! I wish I had a better pic of it in the day light. You can also search "chandelier" on my blog and it will pull up a pic of it hanging at the antique mall...

http://mrsaudvm.blogspot.com/2008/07/girl-with-gumption.html

Tardevil said...

Thanks for coming over to respond. I just love that medallion. I think I might try our Habitat store or of course Lowe's. So you didn't prime it with a bonder (like my paint guys said I need to do)? It's funny, I just had my dining room painted today (Sherwin Williams Foxy) & it looks just like your top left header photo. We must have the same taste b/c I love that shade of green & the brown such as in your top photos. My beach house is totally opposite though, in citrus & blues/aquas. I've decided my next house will not have a glass shower...end of that! We have hard water too. Someone suggested curtains, and that might look nice, but it would make it awfully dark b/c I have the room painted a brassy brown. Have a great time at the beach!

Lady Katherine said...

Your lights and chandeliers are wonderful! I love how you covered the shades in toile! I hit the Lowes clearance too. I bought one to go on porch. Hubby thinks it needs two, but they did not have two! I fix something for the other side. I am going looking for the rub and buff, I have two brass lamps in attic. They are going to get attacked! After Thanksgiving, beach trip planned? Pass A Grille, Florida is great, St Augustine too. Since you have become a beach girl! Thought I might suggest some places. lol

SophieMae said...

It's AbFab! I did a double-take on that first pic. Whats that square thing in the foreground... a camera? It took me a minute to figure out just what I was seeing. 8-}

Gotta love Lowe's! Their clearance prices are incredible!

I've just started looking for a dining chandelier replacement. What's there is nice enough, but it's pretty nondescript. No punch... no statement. Isn't it funny how one new piece in a room snowballs into a whole redo? (Dh isn't quite so amused about it. lol)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, this certainly is a neat fixture, and I like this room a lot. I don't like the way the new bulbs look, but I buy them to be energy efficient. I won't, however, give up my paper towels. LOL!

Just got back from my luncheon. Food was excellent. Bride and bridesmaids had a blast. I'm tired. LOL!

XO,

Sheila

Tabitha said...

Oh, my, the guest room is lovely and oh-so inviting but all those bed pillows intimidate me!! :)
The fixture does "cozy it up" a lot! Beautiful, as always!

Ivy Lane said...

Fun and enLIGHTening post! Happy Weekend! :)

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Oh so very nice!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, What a beautiful addition to the fabulous room! That is one thing I never luck up on at the yard sales around here...pretty light fixtures. But I'm still looking! LOL! ~Rhonda :)

Liz Harrell said...

I have been wanting a chandelier in our bedroom for forever! This looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Boy lighting makes such a difference doesn't it??
Have a safe trip back!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love the chandelier shades in the toile, they are so so pretty. Lighting does make such a difference. I actually am thinking about changing out my light fixtures in the kitchen, they are just too shabby chic for me. I want something more farmhouse. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Salmagundi said...

I'm inspired to change out my fixtures. Love all of yours! Sally

Justabeachkat said...

Wow Rhoda...it looks wonderful!

Miss Daisy is sure missing you guys!

Hugs!
Kat

Saucy said...

Light fixtures are like the jewelry/accessories of a room. Sometimes they just need to be changed and the whole outfit (room) looks better! I was dying at first to change out my dining room brass fixture but my gosh it was of such good quality, all it needed was a spray of iron paint and some shades (DH calls them "hats") and a ceiling medallion. I lurrve the results. I also make little upgrades as my budget allows and I find things on sale - the only way to go! You can see the result at

http://bloggedy-blog-blog-saucy.blogspot.com/2007/12/post-holiday-post.html

Bo said...

Ms. Rhoda...you are amazing! Now I love to hunt for a bargain, but never in my wildest dreams thought about installing a bargain. You go girl! Have a jolly weekend! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I don't know what I'm more impressed with...you buys or your handyman skills!
I love the fixture..nature inspired and oh so pretty. Mary

Suzann said...

Absolutely wonderful light fixture. It's a beautiful bedroom for sure. But, you have wonderful taste and I generally LOVE everything you choose.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I love the $20 chandelier, that is gorgeous!! My favorite is the coach light though...what a steal!! I found new CF-type bulbs that are shaped in a long bulb shape -- look for them at Lowes.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog & getting decorating ideas! You are so talented! Love your chandy and the ceiling medallion, too! I scored a ceiling medallion a few weeks ago for $1.00 at the thrift store & had it out in the garage & last week when I came home for lunch, my darling husband surprised me---he was taking down the dining room chandy & putting it up for me! What a sweetheart! Patti

Heather said...

We live in an apartment so I am itching to change out EVERY fixture. I hate apartment grade light fixtures. I am obcessed with chandys...........I would put one in every room! They add so much to a room.
I can not believe you switch out light fixtures yourself! I have been begging hubby to teach me how but he says he is afraid I will electricute myself. I think he is just afraid of coming home some day to all new fixtures!! LOL!!
I am having a giveaway so come by and put your name in!
Have a great weekend!
Heather:)

Susie Q said...

It looks great...but I would like to ask if you made the toile throw in the guest room or buy it.

Ugly bulbs...yet another reason I won't buy the CF bulbs...maybe frost the glass on the fixture to hide it a bit? They can trigger migraines so I won't have them in the house :D

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Susan, hope you come back to see this, since I can't post to you. I bought that throw & now I can't remember where. It's been at least 6-7 years since I found it.