Sunday, December 7, 2008

Birthday Date

My birthday was a great one! Couldn't have ask for a better day and going to the Independent Presbyterian Church's annual Christmas home tour was perfect. There were 4 of us who went and spent 2 hours touring four beautiful old homes in the Mountain Brook and Homewood area of Birmingham. This is always a treat. They don't allow pics, so you'll just have to imagine the lush greenery swags of bows and berries and all sorts of wondrous decorations. And then to end the tour, two of us went back to the church where the ladies provide homemade treats and coffee in the beautiful old church fellowship hall. Fun, fun!
Unfortunately, we lost the SEC championship game to Florida, BUT with an undefeated season, it's hard to be too upset. And we didn't get totally killed by them either. My sweet hubby even gave up watching the last half of the game so we could go to dinner and get to my surprise on time. As we left our neighborhood, this beautiful sunset greeted us. We stopped by and had dinner in Five Points at one of our favorite Thai restaurants, Surin. It was yummy! I had Pad Prik pork which is a hot and spicy dish.

Then on to the BJCC, where we saw a most wonderful Christmas concert of Casting Crowns, Avalon, and my very, very favorite for a LONG time, Michael English. Remember him? I've been following him around Atlanta since the early 90's hearing him in concert and have always loved him. He's got such a great dynamic voice. My sweet hubby really pulled off a good surprise for me. I had no idea who we were seeing until we sat down in the seats and he finally told me. And I had no idea they were all even doing a Christmas tour. Above pic is Michael on the left and Casting Crowns on the right.
Michael, close up on the big screen. You'll have to excuse these poor pics. I'm not a good photographer under these conditions.
Avalon performed several songs too. I love their sound very much and it was fun to see them in person. Natalie Grant was also there, but I don't know anything about her other than the girl can sing. It was such a fun and festive night of Christmas music. Talk about getting into the spirit of the season, that will do it. I love this time of year and a Christmas concert was a perfect way to end my birthday!

Thank you ALL for stopping by to wish me Happy Birthday. Do you know how much I look forward to reading your comments everyday? I do...a lot! Come back tomorrow for some more Christmas at my house.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

39 friends stopped by:

Lorilee said...

That sounds like a wonderful birthday! I LOVE to tour old homes!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Every Day Blessings said...

Sounds like you had a PERFECT Birthday! From your passion, to Christmas , to spending time with your love to an awesome Christian Christmas Concert!

Happy Birthday!
Debbie

Lady of the Mote said...

what a perfect day!

Sue said...

What a perfect birthday you had. Your husband sure came up with a thoughtful surprize. Enjoy the rest of your birthday weekend. Today is John's birthday so we are in birthday mode around here too.
Hugs,
Sue

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Rhoda what a fun day and night you had..how great was your BD..have a great Sunday now...hugs and smiles Gloria

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Don't know how I missed it...maybe I missed one of your posts...so Happy Birthday a little late.

Looks like you had a perfect evening!

Diane

Tonja said...

What a perfect birthday! Know the homes were lovely, and the concert must have been terrific. Here's to a wonderful year ahead!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Ms Rho, sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! Your Peter did a great job! You deserve it girl!
I love all your decorations .....the kitchen tree is sweet & that little bunny on top is the best!
Hugs, DebraK

Rose - Watching Waves said...

It makes me so happy that you have such a thoughtful husband, Rhoda, someone who cares so much about you and takes the time and thought to surprise you and delight you. That's so special. You're such a terrific, caring person and it's great that you have someone like that to cherish YOU. Happy birthday!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

So glad you had a wonderful birthday, Rhoda! It sounds like the perfect day and night, too!

I'm truly sorry about the Tide. Not just saying that, but I know how many people were counting on them. I changed allegiances (as I knew I would being a Seminole and having a dad who graduated from Bama) about mid way through the game, but I'm happy for my Gator friends, too. Just sorry for my friends who are Tide fans. It was a mighty game, though, and Bama gave it their all!

Hugs,

Sheila (who almost wrote 'Rhoda' as my name! LOL! I need some coffee!)

Ally's Corner said...

What a wonderful birthday you had.
Love surprises on birthdays.

Sheila said...

I am so glad you had a great birthday! I think you husband did a fabulous job with his surprise. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday than how you spent your day! I wish you many more years of happiness. I just want you to know although you love our comments. I think it is a gift to come and visit here each day, just a treat.
:)
Sheila

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday surprise.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Rhoda! What a great surprise your DH planned for you. Glad you had such an awesome birthday!

Anonymous said...

I love Natalie Grant and Casting Crowns, what a great concert you attended. Glad you birthday was perfection!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhoda~ Just came by to say "hi" and see "wassup", and I SEE you had a BD!!! How great that IT was a HAPPY n' enchanted w/ all the pics you've posted since I last visited (!), and had SOOO much FUN looking at all the lovely decorating you've done~~~ STUNNING, my friend, just STUNNING!!! Loved it all, & am sending my most sincere THANKS for sharing all of this beauty n' warmth! Happpiest of the holiday season to you and ALL your loved ones! Hugs, Linda

Frantic Home Cook said...

Happy Belated Bday,Rhoda! I pray the Lord blesses you this year.

Anonymous said...

:)

Kathy :)

OKGardners said...

What a wonderful birthday you had! That sounds great - all of it. The roses are beautiful.

Your husband is so sweet to surprise you with something you enjoy. (Thanks Peter!)

Enjoy yourselves throughout the holidays.

I LOVE your blog and all your tips you share.

Betty in Oklahoma

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

What a perfect ending to an already perfect day! I am so glad you had a happy birthday...you deserve it! And what a sweet hubby to plan all that just for you.

~Amanda

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Well a wonderful, sweet little gal deserves a wonderful, sweet little birthday!!!! Glad it was all you hoped it would be.

Blessings,

Sher

Oxford Impressions said...

Hi there,
I'm new to the blog world and love your site. I look at it everyday. Your husband gave you a very nice birthday ! Please feel free to view my blog and comment.
www.oxfordimpressions.blogspot.com Thanks
Shaylynn

Carrie said...

Happy belated birthday Rhoda!! I am glad you had a good one. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

Lettered Cottage said...

Wanted to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday Rhoda!
Hugs,
Layla :-)

Bo said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you Ms. Rhoda...It looks like you had a wonderful day & evening.
;-) Bo

Southerner said...

Happy Birthday!!!
You eating Thai reminded me that one of the BEST thai restaurants is in Destin. It is the Thai Elephant. It is right next door to Tuesday Morning so when you go back it is well worth finding it. One of the men in our church grew up as a missionary kid in Thailand and they found it to be one of the best Thai restaurants they had visited. Now you have the ACME and this one to try on your next visit!

Thai Elephant Steak & Seafood Restaurant
12889 Emerald Coast Pkwy W
Destin, FL 32550
(850) 837-5344‎
(I don't remember steak and seafood- hopefully they haven't changed the menu)

KM Studios said...

Oh Im so Sorry I missed the last post-bummer!
Well its late - but Happiest of Birthdays Rhoda!!!
It sounds like it was great fun!

Justabeachkat said...

Gosh, way to go Peter! I'm so glad your birthday was special Rhoda.

Merry Christmas
Hugs!
Kat

sandra/tx said...

Sounds like you had a perfect day, Rhoda. Happy Birthday!

Our Complete Family said...

Well happy belated birthday Rhoda! So glad it was such a fantastic one with great memories made! My fav pic is of you two in the restaurant. Love it!
Merry December~ Les

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Happy belated birthday Rhoda!
Looks like a perfect birthday! Good for hubs for pulling it off.

Fifi Flowers said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a GREAT time!

Ms. Tee said...

Happy late birthday, Rhoda :)
I'm a huge fan of Casting Crowns and Avalon. And years ago, I won tickets to a private Michael English concert and got to meet him. He was very sweet and has the most amazing voice.
Hope you enjoyed your day!

Terri Steffes said...

It sounds like a perfect birthday! I love home tours, especially at Christmas!

Sheila said...

Rhoda I forgot to compliment the video and my other comments! I loved the video of your foyer, great please do more.
On another note, my Brittney was so sad Alabama lost, but she was really proud of their season too.
I am hosting a favorite things list come by and visit and play along if you have time.
Merry Christmas!
Sheila

Connie said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great time. Connie

Designs on 47th Street said...

Happy, Happy Birthday a little belated, Rhoda. :) Sounds like you had a very nice day. I'm sorry I said December birthdays should be outlawed on my blog. :( My husband's birthday is tomorrow and it's a big one. We will go out and paint the town...for a few hours anyway.

Bonita said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful birthday. Tell your hubby he done good with those gorgeous roses!

misss_e said...

I'm a few days late but happy birthday! Sounds like it was a fun one. I love Casting Crowns...my favorite song is "Your Love is Extravagent" and I used to buy Avalon instrumental cassettes so I can sing their songs like they were my songs lol (yeah that's what I used my allowance for). Anyways may everything your hand touches prosper...God bless!