Saturday, December 6, 2008

Birthdays and a Copycat Chandelier

It's that time again....time for another birthday. They sure roll around fast these days. Today is MY big day and I'm planning to go on a little Christmas tour of homes with a couple of friends, so that will be just the most perfect way to spend my birthday that I can think of. And my hubby has some sort of surprise for me tonight. I think he's taking me somewhere. I'll let you know when I find out what it is! In the meantime....he sent me these beautiful roses....two dozen. And this...let's just get this little bit out of the way in case anyone missed the news. My Auburn readers, you'll just have to indulge me, after all it's been 6 long years since we could claim this one. Look out Florida Gators, we're coming for you today! ROLL TIDE!
*******************************

Now for the topic of the day. Pottery Barn, $329
Restoration Hardware, $670 (of course this one is big).
My $5 version from the Lovelady Thriftstore. I love the thing!
Who knows how old this thing is, but I love the lines of it. Everything old is new again. It's got a tarnished brass patina, but I'll bronze it up really nice (I love the color of those pointy things) and hang it in the beachy guestroom. Let's hope it really works.
Another project for after the Holidays. Of course, you'll be the first to see it. Speaking of the beachy guestroom, my contact friend at the Birmingham News emailed me about featuring my beachy guestroom in the Spaces section, so of course I said YES! They came out last Thursday to take pics and do the story and hopefully it will make the paper in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you Birmingham girls know when I find out for sure.

In the meantime, I'm about all finished decorating for Christmas so you'll be seeing more decking the halls from me very soon!

What would you do with a $100 giftcard from Home Depot? I know exactly what I'd do with one. I have a couple of light fixtures that I need to finish off the master bath and Home Depot has just the ones I need. If you'd like to win too, go on over to One Project Closer and sign up for it. Read the details for info on how to increase your chances too. Enjoy your weekend!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

54 friends stopped by:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Great post girl...You did real well on the chandy...Happy Birthday to you..Hope you have a wonderful one..beautiful rose..hugs and smiles Gloria

Tara said...

Rhoda

Congrats to the Tide! Also, can't wait to see where the chandelier ends up!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, Deeeeeeeeeaaaaaar Rhoda!
Happy Birthday to you!

Hope your birthday is very, very special, but I also hope the Gators swim right on top of the Tide! LOL! Have to pull for my nemesis on this one since the Tigers were mauled. ;-)

Love you and hope you have a really fun day with your friends. I wish I could be there to take you out for lunch! Here's a big hug from me to you.

XO,

Sheila... who thinks two dozen roses is a very good thing! :-)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Good Morning & a very Happy Birthday to you! :)

Great light fixture...can't beat they price either! ~Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda - have a wonderful birthday! Thanks for sharing your bargain with us.

Twice as Nice said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love when I get a mix of colored roses. They are the prettiest. Enjoy your day with friends and tonight with hubby!

Becky said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RHODA!!! The roses are beautiful. Have a wonderful HOT date tonight!

Natalia said...

Happy Birthday from a fellow December baby!

Love the fixture.

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday! Love the roses and the chandelier!

Audra said...

Hello!
I love your blog!
It's fabulously southern : )

-Audra

Elle Jay Bee said...

can't wait to see your make-over!! You're so good at them.

Happy belated birthday, Rhoda!!

Linda

Anonymous said...

•:*¨ ♪♫♪♫ ¨¨*:•.* •:*¨ ♪♫♪♫ ¨¨*:•.•:*¨ ♪♫♪♫ ¨¨*:•.*•:*¨ ♪♫♪♫ ¨¨*:•.*Happy Birthday to you Rhoda, you're one of my favorite blogging friends, and many, many more !!!

xo Kathy :)

ps I so agree with you... Birthdays come too quickly, you just get used to one number and then wham another !

Missy Wertz said...

Happy Birthday!!! Roll Tide Roll! Looks like I will get to watch the game. I had 2 parades to shoot and a family. But I am home with strep instead... DH is shooting the parades for me. I should have given him my MP3 player so he could listen to the game, but... he might not be able to work and listen to the game like I can. LOL!

Have fun touring homes. Sounds like fun. As I feel like it, I am going to clean and lysol, clean and lysol and do a little decorating and lysol, and hopfully get my family (to shoot) rescheduled for tomorrow. I am sure they do not want there 4 kids exposed to strep. LOL!

Thanks for the HD info, I have registered, commented and blogged.

Adrienne said...

Happy birthday, Rhoda -
I hope you have a great day today and a wonderful year ahead. Can't wait to hear what your hubby has planned for you.
~Adrienne~

3CHEERS4MOM said...

Happy Birthday Rhoda! Oh I bet the home tour will be just divine, can't wait to see pictures! Have a wonderful day. -Cheers, Amy

paintergal said...

Happy birthday, Rhoda!
Aw, what a sweetheart of a hubby. Let us know what the surprise is.

I just know that chandy will look marvelous once it's been Rhoda-fied! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday, Rhoda! Have a glorious time!! Love the chandy!
Be a sweetie birthday girl,
Shelia ;)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Happy Birthday!
Let's plan a christmas lunch soon with the Birmingham Bloggers. I'll send an email.

Judy said...

Happy, happy birthday girlfriend! Love the chandy, of course!! Ohhh, I wish I was there for the tour of homes with ya'll, but I'm still rockin' this cold. Thanks to a z-pack and other Rx, I'm feeling much better and hopefully will get more done with the Christmas decorating while we watch Fla/Ala game today.

I want/need to get to B'ham soon to see son and family and YOU!

Judy

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Rho! May you have a day full of blessings and fun!

Lara said...

Happy Birthday!

I have been reading your blog for a couple of months & I have to say that it just warms my heart when you talk about the places you go around Birmingham. I am so homesick for the "Ham".

I hope that you have a great day & ROLL TIDE!!!!

Tracy said...

Happy birthday !!!
Hope you have a great day.

Also, Rollllllllll Tide!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Darlin!! I hope you have an exquisite day, I love home tours and that you celebrate the night away with your hubby. Your roses are gorgeous!!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda
I was here earlier and was called away to the phone before I could wish you a Happy Birthday!

Enjoy the house tour. I'm going on one, a week from tomorrow. Cannot wait!

Have a great birthday celebration.

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Happy Birthday pretty lady. Hope you have a fun day.
Hugs,
Sue

Carol said...

Many happy birthday wishes to you Rhoda! Enjoy your day! The roses are beautiful!!!!
Smiles,
Carol

Faye said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday Rhoda!!!

Rue said...

Happy Birthday Rhoda!! I can't wait to see what your sweetheart of a husband has done for you :)

Congratulations on the big win! The Buckeyes beat Michigan again, so that makes at least two happy households in Blogland LOL

Oh and you are so cute in those videos!! I could never do it in a million years. Horrible camera shyness here LOL

Anyway, have an absolutely FABULOUS BIRTHDAY!!

(((hugs)))
rue

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Happy Birthday girl!! I know you're going to have a "great" day!! What a treasure you found in the chandy... I love Spaces Magazine.. I'll be looking forward to see it.. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! ROLLLLLLLL TIDEEEEEEEE!!
Where is the LoveLady Thrift store?

Terri Steffes said...

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Love the chandelier... can't wait to see it in its home!

Today Mizzou plays Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship... its a make or break game for both of us.

Lori said...

Happy Birthday, Rhoda!! Today is your day. The flowers were gorgeous.

Lori

Hopechest Bride said...

Happy Birthday Rhoda. I pray you have wonderful and blessed day. Love the light fixture and Congrat's on another chance to share you decorating skills!! Now I'm heading on over to see if I can win that gift card...thanks for the tip...lol
Lisa

"Blossom" said...

Rhoda,
I gotta have this chandelier.
Its just perfect and it can go with just about any decor. How wonderful to find this gem.
It's snowing here and has all day.
My hubby is gone and has the camera in the car. I want to take photos for those who don't get snow. And happy birthday to you!
Blossom

Vanessa Greenway said...

Your new chandelier is gorgeous! And what a great price! Lucky you! :) Vanessa

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Happy Birthday sweet friend. Oh my goodness...those roses are absolutely gorgeous! Have a fun day. And night.

Hugs!
Kat

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Oh that chandelier is going to be wonderful! What a great bargain. And I loved your makeover of the tree planter in the previous post...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday gurlfriend! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Manuela

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls! Thank you ALL for the birthday wishes and for stopping by on this Sat. The home tour was of course, just wonderful. It was down in the Mountain Brook and Forest Park area of town, which has the most beautiful old homes you can imagine. Unfortunately, they won't let us take pics, so I can never share them with you. You'll just have to imagine all the real swags of greenery, bows and gorgeous Christmas decor. All in beautiful OLD and stately homes. So fun! My design friend, Mary ended up going with us, so there were 4 of us. She and I went to the tea at the IPC church after the tour, which is always a treat too. Homemade goodies from the ladies of the church, along with coffee. A perfect way to end a Christmas tour!

Someone asked where the Lovelady thriftstore is. The Lovelady Center where I'm doing some volunteer work also has a thriftstore on site. That's where I found the chandy! They are on the East side of B'ham.

Still don't know where our date will be tonight. Hubby is watching the BIG game right this minute, so I'm hoping we WIN! I'll fill you all in on Monday. I think it's a Christmas concert of some sort and it should be fun! See you Monday....

bloggin' Chrystal said...

Happy Birthday! We share the same birthday...I knew I liked you!!!!!!! Hope your day is a wonderful one. I finally took time for myself and got a haircut...haha! Happy Birthday again!

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it is a wonderful one!

~Stacy

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Rhoda~~Lovely roses too!

So sorry Alabama lost to Florida today :( I know you were rooting for Alabama.

Blessings,

Sher

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Make it a Great Day!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to an awesome lady!!!! We hope you have many many more!!!!
WOW you're just the popular lady now a days with all your beautiful decorating! LOVE the new chandy to!
I REALLY REALLY love those square shades on the second pic to.
WOW your hubby did very good! lol Can't wait to hear what he has in store for you, that is, IF it's tell-able. hee hee
Happy Birthday Rhoda!!!!

Jill said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a fun day and a year full of blessing ahead.

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday sweet Rhoda! I hope you have a fabulous day!!!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Great deal and Happy happy birthday!!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Can't wait to see how that light fixture looks in the guestroom. Congrats on being featured in the paper...you go girl!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

p.s.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

SophieMae said...

Happy Birthday, sweet thang! Hope your evening was wonderful... in spite of the disappointing game. 8-{

Can't wait to see what you do with the chandelier. I have a similar one out in the shed - if Duller didn't throw it out - that I had forgotten about till I saw yours. Thanks ever so for the inspiration (yet again). 8-]

duchess said...

Happy Birthday (a day late)!
Love the light & sorry about the game. Those Gators were ready to play.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Happy Birthday! I started to post a coment yesterday, got side tracked. The roses are beautiful (my favorite flower). Great deal on the chandelier.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

LOve the lighting!

I entered the giveaway and also posted. On teh HD site, I gave creds to you. Thansk RHoda!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Ok, I'm a day (actually 4 days) late and a dollar short. :-) But I hope you had a wonderful day!! From the looks of your next post you did.

And...love the light fixture.