Thursday, December 4, 2008

More Christmas in the Kitchen

Thanks for all the great comments on the videos and for not laughing! Y'all are great sports. I really don't enjoy seeing myself on camera all that much, but I guess my accent isn't too bad. I know there are a lot worse right here in Ala-bammer!
I've had this little tree for a long time that I put on the cupboard in my kitchen, but I was a little bored with the angel motif on the outside of the tin that it sits in. It was cute, but not all that appealing with my colors in there, so I decided to break out the Mod Podge again. Got some pretty striped Christmas paper at Hobby Lobby (of course!) with bright and cheery colors.

Made myself a template and cut out four pieces, one for each side of the metal tin.
Mod Podged that baby and now it blends better with my reds and greens in the kitchen.
Last year I had all green ornaments, but they really got lost on the green tree, so red to the rescue. I'm loving how the tin turned out and it really shows up now. These pics were taken with my camera settings a little bit different, so they are a bit more glowy and yellowy than normal, but I like the effect for Christmas.
Mr. Nutcracker joins the parade, along with my glass pedestal and cloche with some tiny ice skaters underneath.
I just threw the rest of these green balls in a glass dish for now.
Here's a regular shot of the kitchen tree.

I really love it this year! I got those mitten ornaments last year on clearance from Pike Nursery, who went out of business right after Christmas.
Love those sparkly greens.
And a cute little bunny ornament looks out from the top of the tree.
Hope you enjoyed more Holiday cheer from my kitchen. I can't wait to get around and see everyone else's Christmas decor this year.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

74 friends stopped by:

Sue said...

What a darlin' little kitchen tree. I'm really loving all your Christmas decorating with all the green. You always do such a beautiful job.
Hugs,
Sue

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Good Morning, Rhoda, Great tree! I love the rabbit in the hat...so unique and unexpected, and down right cute! :) All of your kitchen decorations are so charming and pretty. Can't wait to see the rest of your home decked out!

Oh, and your shopping video was great! Well done! :) ~Rhonda

Free Art Printables said...

Love the vase and Christmas tree!!!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Everything looks so beautiful!! Have a great day! :) Vanessa

Natalia said...

Absolutely beautiful!

I love the transformation, it looks fantastic.

Michelle said...

I love it all...everything is so gorgeous and festive...you've got such great style, Rhoda!

CMB said...

I am thinking of all kinds of things I could cover with scrapbook paper...your tree looks great, I love the whole display! I had heard that pike went out of business...I loved that place when we lived in Atlanta.

Trixi said...

Oh, Rhoda, I have had to come over and get caught up. I love the new look of that tin. I also loved your videos. You are as cute as a button and the accent is not nearly as bad as the ones here in Central Ms.

southerninspiration said...

GREAT idea Rhoda! That looks adorable! I love your whimsical touch!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

How cute, Rhoda! I love your Christmas kitchen. I'm sure your festive spirit will have your entire house fixed up to dazzle us all. Thanks for sharing your wonderful inspiration!
Jen

Kristen said...

What a beautiful display! I've been looking for something to do on my mantle and there are some great ideas here. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Everything looks so festive & chic. I really like the display inside the cloche, which I may have to "copy"!

philben5 said...

Thank you for all of the inspiration you give to us in bloggerland! (Is there such a word as bloggerland?)I love your tree...
Blessings

"Blossom" said...

Just love little tress that seems to brighten the most unique spots and nitches. So cute....
Blossom

Kelly said...

I love your idea of covering a pot with decorative paper and making it match your decor better. What a great idea! I'd of never thought to do that. Your color scheme in your kitchen is the same as mine, so I'm really drawn to it. You did a great job on it.

Lady Katherine said...

The tree looks wonderful in your renewed pot! Love the colors. The rabbit is too cute.

KM Studios said...

as always WOW!!
OK now your starting to amaze me!

That little tree is Fabulouse!

Very inspirational!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Perfect!
those colors look just great on your little vase. How do you keep it from toppeling over?

Dana of The Stone Rabbit said...

I love the new look you gave to your vase---how great that is with your cheerful tree! Of course, I LOVED the bunny topper the BEST, but all of your other ornies are great! Dana

Terri Steffes said...

I love the whole thing!! I cannot believe the difference in that vase, and how many ways you are going to be able to change it up! Too cool!

Anonymous said...

I just watched your videos--you are a natural!!!! I thought you did a great job. I was hoping you would have a reallllly thick Southern Accent, but you don't! Just a great speaking style! Congrats on your spending spree opportunity!
I forgot to tell you how I loved the scene you put beneath your cloche and how beautiful your TGiving table looked! Bye again! Dana

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love the way your tin turned out but my absolute favorite is the glass cloche with the ice skaters.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

I love the kitchen tree. Great idea, covering the vase. I'm going to make a note of that, for future reference.

I loved the tape. Believe it or not, you sound very much like I do, when I hear my voice recorded. Do you perhaps sing Alto? Our inflection of speech is similar, also. The Missouri Ozarks aren't so far from the south, I guess. We have a friend from the "bootheel" of Missouri. His accent is deeper than yours.

Salmagundi said...

All of your green dishes are really great with the Christmas things. I love it when Christmas is intergrated so smoothly into the regular things of life. Well done!! Sally

Allyson said...

Rhoda - Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. You are a decorating guru! I love the photos on your blog header. Especially the one to the left! Wow, it's all so beautiful. The Decoupage Vase you made is amazing and I love the way your little tree looks in it. Can't wait to read more and see what you have in store for the future!

Merry Christmas!

Allyson

Jill said...

Everything looks just gorgeous!

By the way, I have a little award waiting for you at my blog.

Take care!
Jill

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very cute, Rhoda! Love those stripes. I will have to remember that on a piece I was wanting to do something with a few weeks back. Great idea! Looks fab!

I also love that little bunny in the hat. So cute and fun!

XO,

Sheila

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I love the stripes on the Tree "container" Rhoda. It came out so cute. Your home always looks darling, but especially so at Christmas time.
xo Lidy

Hopechest Bride said...

Love that redo Rhoda. Blends perfectly with all your colors in your kitchen.
Lisa

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

LOVE those decorations!! So pretty, and your little "village" under the cloche reminds me of an antique set my mother has! :)

Also, I've tagged you for a fun Christmas meme over on my blog!

Blessings,
Stacey

Courtney said...

great work on that tree! and I'm all about Christmas decor in the kitchen...and the bathroom...well, EVERY room. Just love it!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Everything looks lovely as always! I LOVE the little scene you set under the cloche...too cute! And the tin for the tree...absolutely precious. I love mod podge, it's so fun. I just posted several things I made this week using that magic potion. It's amazing what a little scrapbook paper and mod podge can do. So fun!

Anonymous said...

I love Christmas...all the decorations....food..fun..and you! You just make it all the better~

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Love this, I love the green plates on the wall too. Perfect for Christmas bunnies! Rhoda, it looks wonderful!
Blessings,
Debbie

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Very pretty Rhoda!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I love the striped paper! It's very funky and cute and un-Rhoda like, in a great way. :)

The tree and trimmings balance it out perfectly.

Unknown said...

ALL HAIL TO THE MIGHTY MOD PODGE! What a great idea....I LOVE stuff like that! Re-condition, re-purpose, re-invent!!!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

The podge rocks! It looks great!

Anonymous said...

Golly, you have the best ideas. Tree and container look great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! How precious! I love how you've transformed the little urn. Everything looks great. You're the most creative one!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Chris said...

I swear. What would we do without scrapbook paper and Modge Podge? I was thinking it looked great before the paper! :) It turned out wonderfully! Great decorating, once again!

Ms. Tee said...

It's all so pretty! I *love* the red and green modpodges tree container! Have a great week! :)

Ally's Corner said...

Love how the tin turned out. I also love your ice skaters.

megan said...

SO wonderful! I saw your comment over at Amanda's Imperfectly Beautiful and when I read what your blog title was, I thoght "I really need to go visit that one!" I am going to add you to my blogs that I follow, I can't wait to read more from you and see your decorating!
Blessings,
Megan

Beth at Aunties said...

You are one smart cookie. The tree turned out beautiful in its new striped container for just pennies... So Cheery and full of Christmas goodness. I love your ideas and then there's a bunny again!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love your creative ideas. Covering that vase is another tip that I hope I don't forget! Just got to find the right vase!

The little ice skaters are so cute too!

Thanks for sharing!

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

How Cute it that! Seriously! Very Creative ideas, Love the skaters! Oh and I'm looking around to see what I can mod podge! Ho, Ho

Bo said...

I knew it, I knew it...I just knew it... you would have the most wonderful decor for us to enjoy! Thank you for such darling ideas!
;-) Bo

Lori said...

The striped vase is so attractive and I love your choice of decorations for it. You are doing an awesome job decorating for Christmas.

Lori

paintergal said...

Rhoda, you are my makeover hero (or should I say heroine!)
I have learned so much from you over the years. And I think I'll use this idea too! Thanks, Doll!

Ellen said...

Oh how pretty...such a great idea. The colors are so awesome. I love the bunny in the top hat..he's way tutu cute. Thank you for inviting me in.:)EllenL

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Love what you did to the vase for the tree in the kitchen. I see you are Mod Podging it right on the carpet?!? You are one brave, and obviously, very "neat" crafter! Me, not so much ;)

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

What a great Modge Podge project! It is perfect in your kitchen.

Gretchen

Unknown said...

SO PRETTY! I love to Mod Podge! What an awesome idea.

~Liz

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I really love the new look! It definitely goes better with the tree...and I love those Christmas colors!
Carrie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Your modge podged vase turned out so great! You are just SO creative, and I always get such good ideas and inspiration when I come over here. I have got to get a cloche. Love the way you did yours. laurie

Tracy said...

Rhoda, what a great idea. You are always so creative. The Christmas tree turned out so cute.
Thanks...can't wait for more!
~Tracy~

Justabeachkat said...

I love your tree. I'm working on mine tonight. I'll show it tomorrow.

Hugs!
Kat

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

You did a great job on this little tree.. I especially love the rabbit coming out of the hat.. Your colors are so bright and cheery, I can see why you love it.
hugs ~lynne~

Sandi McBride said...

It's all so beautiful Rhoda...I'll bet you have visions, don't you? Well DON'T YOU? My kitties would have a time with all that beauty...right now I suspect I have at least two in the tree...beautiful post, just beautiful!
hugs
Sandi

Elle Jay Bee said...

That cloche vignette is to die for...brilliant, best thing ever!! I have a Christmas village that I am too lazy to set up this year, so this would be the perfect compromise!!

Thanks Rhoda!!
Linda
xoxo

"Create Beauty" said...

How beautiful! Very inspiring!!!

Melanie said...

Beautiful inspirations!

Decor To Adore said...

I love the kitchen tree!

Faye said...

Very cute kitchen....very festive and creative!!

Julie said...

Wow - what a great table top tree idea! So much sturdier than just having one in a stand!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

The redo of the tin is brilliant! I always forget how easy it is to create something new with mod podge. The paper you selected is perfect with your tree ornaments.

As always, your style and talent make your home a lovely, welcoming place.

Donna, The Decorated House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna, The Decorated House said...

You have been so busy! Christmas decorating all underway at your house. It's the most fun time of the year for visiting on line.
Donna

OK I had to come back and delete that top part so I could add I just found your video! Hey, I've know you for ages, it was a cute and I couldn't help but giggle just a little bit. But you were great!

Picket said...

Hey girl...that turned out beautiful...love that little tree and how you papered over the container...You just make everything look so grand and gorgeous! Hope you have a great weekend!

Nancy Hood said...

awesome job covering the tin, Rhoda! Love it!!!

Jill said...

Rho...things certainly are looking very festive at your place. Looove the bunny in the hat...does he still have his California accent?

Hillcrest Acres said...

I love what you did with the tin!!! It is adorable. You've got my creative juices thinking. I'm on my way to Hobby Lobby for some cute paper and am going to rummage through the house to look for something to modge podge. Thanks for the inspiration.

Teresa said...

Fabulous Kitchen tree-
I absolutely love what you did with your cloche- That will be on my list of things to do next year-
Merry Christmas