Thursday, December 11, 2008

Simply Silver

With the new black console table in place this year, I decided to move the tree across the room instead of here in the middle. And with my new love of mercury glass, it was a perfect spot to showcase my ornaments collected in the after-Christmas sales last year, along with a few silver pieces.

My rusty iron yardsale urn makes a perfect container for ornaments, pinecones and acorns. I love the mix of natural and shiny silver, what a pleasant play off each other. Again, I snipped a few real greens to add in there too.
Last year I spray painted some walnuts and acorns silver and gold and it's fun to use them in different spots. I simply pulled all my silver toned items together on this table only.
The mercury glass trees were found after Christmas last year at Kohls. I did those glittered pinecones last year too. I have really fallen in love with mercury glass.
The silver candelabra was also a yardsale find from last year.
And this pretty silver stand was found at a yardsale for 25 cents. The silvery leaves were from Kohls too. Oh, and I even found this pretty linen and velvet runner at a yardsale some time ago.
Spray painted nuts and acorns, as well as grapevine balls.

This table just glows! Come back on Saturday and I'll show you a quick and easy way to do a natural mailbox swag using fresh cut greens and things from around your yard. A ten minute project!

Don't forget to come back on Monday and post your Christmas home tour on Mr. Linky! Let's have a party!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

60 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

It all looks wonderful Rhoda.

I have spotted a few mercury glass pieces, I hope to buy after Christmas. I love it and think it will work well, in the dining room, for next year. I've loved the look since seeing it at GI. I think Anneliese had several pieces on her mantel one year.

Looking forward to your tree.

Nancy Hood said...

Rhoda, this is simply beautiful. I have the same items from Kohl's but your display beats mine by a country mile! Your site is one of my most favorites to visit. I always leave having learned something that I can utilize in our home. Thank you for that!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Lovely Rhoda. I remember those Mercury Glass trees at Kohl's last year. At the end of the season they were going for next to nothing. I have so much Christmas stuff (like boxes and boxes I don't even put up still) that I passed.

My hubby is in Alabama this week and told me there is a "possibility" of snow and school has already been delayed for 2 hours tomorrow. We had a good laugh. Delaying school and the snow has not even arrived yet. He said everyone is stressing over the "possibility" os snow. Hey guys, talk to us northern folks. Unless we "get for sure" 6" or more snow, those kids better get on their boots and get off to school!! And we are all expected to show up on time for work too!

Blessings,

Sher

Stacey said...

Oh so pretty!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know where you find these *magical* yard sales that have all of this fabulous stuff!

All I get done here is yard sales with car parts and baby toys!

*so jealous*

:)

niartist said...

It's beautiful Rhoda, but I knew it would be. Of course, I share the fondness of Mercury Glass this year, and I'm hoping to pick up some things this year during the After Christmas sales myself! I have to ask, what is Mr. Linky? I'd love to share my Christmas Home with you and your readers! Ooooo, guess that means I have to finish it, huh?

Vanessa Greenway said...

Sooooo beautiful!!!:) Vanessa

Kris said...

Hello Rhoda,

Everything is so lovely. I love that you mix and match both old and new with nature. Very elegant.
NICE!!

Kris

Tracy said...

The new table looks great! Can't wait to see more. I always love your ideas. Thanks so much for sharing it all with us!

Unknown said...

It's very pretty Rhoda. I am going to shop around for some of this!

Diane

Lady of the Mote said...

wow so lovely,I'd like to find that kind of garage sale.
just lovely!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

It all looks beautiful. I'm not sure I know about mercury glass but it is very pretty. I love silver pieces. I've been putting alot of silver and blue around this year and loving it. I'll be back to check out the mailbox decorating because mine sure needs something.

Glenda said...

I love silver. Your is so pretty.

I was lucky enough to find some mercury glass candle sticks recently that I used in my decor for christmas. I can never have enough.


Ciao

Terri Steffes said...

Ok, now I am all about mercury glass, thanks to YOU!

It all is so magical, Rhoda! Thank you for sharing with all of us. The best part of blogging is the ideas we gather from one another!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful! laurie

Chris said...

My goodness, Rhoda, your house is like a boutique. All these little nooks and crannies just have beautiful goodies everywhere. I love it!!

ksarra said...

You are so creative, I love the knack you have of putting things together to make beautiful vignettes. Just that little touch of real greenery makes all the silver sparkle. GREAT JOB!!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Rhonda you girl out did yourself again...WOW!! I am so loving all of this..your home is amaging and you can see all the love you have put into it...thanks hugs and smiles Gloria

Lisa said...

Your tablescape is absolutely stunning. I have been a longtime lurker, and picked this post to finally say HI because I love the mercury glass. I would love to have some to display as beautifully as you have! I have a couple pieces I hope to buy after Christmas.
Anyway, the vignettes on your tables are such an inspiration to me, tabletops is something I really struggle with!

Katie said...

I'm such a sucker for silver! That silver stand you found at a yardsale is gorgeous.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I am always seeing mercury glass at Tuesday Morning and think of you!

Kasey said...

I came across your site the other day and your ideas and decorating are so fun and lovely that I had to come back and check it out again. I love it!

Girly Stuff said...

What is it about mercury glass that draws us like bees to honey?

Your table looks great!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, I love this! It's so much fun, and so full of very "shiny" objects that are truly shiny! You are going to die laughing when you see my post tomorrow. I'm not going to say another word, but you must come to visit! ;-)

Love you much,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

oh Rhoda I love it all, just love how you've combined it all so beautifully...as usual *smile

Sarah

Donna said...

So pretty! I love mercury glass too and since my home is going on the market next week, I'm trying to keep my decorating simple and elegant so I'm sticking to mostly mercury glass and greenery.

Looking forward to seeing your mailbox!

Donna

Salmagundi said...

Wonderful!! I love all of the gleam and bling. Sally

akawest said...

You have such an artful way of displaying things. Everything looks so elegant.

I spied a lyre back chair. Those are my favorite. I use one as a desk chair. I hope some day to have an entire set for the dining room.

Lisa

Linda Merrill said...

Very pretty. I do painted walnuts as well - they work in so many different ways and last for years!

philben5 said...

Love the silver..love the silver... Oh did I say love the silver?
Blessings

Justabeachkat said...

Everything is beautiful Rhoda!!

Brrrrr...it's so cold here. I bet it is there too.

Hugs!
Kat

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Hi Rhoda,

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, I just want to break out in song! Everything looks beautiful. Love the Mercury Glass... I may have to look around after xmas!

xoxo,
Cathleen

A Hint of Home said...

Your table looks just stunning. You did a great job arranging everything.

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Beautiful! Did you move your table with the red and green or is this a different area? Love it all any way.
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

These silver pieces are beautiful. They add an old world appreciation to a holiday that is traditional. Thank you so much for sharing photographs of this collection!

Trixi said...

I love this whole vignette. Beautiful.

Trixi said...

Oh, and I am going to try to do the home tour. It wont be as fancy but it will be home.LOL

Teresa said...

Beautiful pictures- I love mercury glass, I also have a few pieces-
Thanks for sharing all the beauty-
I also like your wallpaper for your blog- I just purchased Christmas cards that have the same pattern. :} {in black and green}

Anonymous said...

seeing those decorations brought back a memory of my late mother's decorating...

We didn't use our fireplaces in the house we grew up in -- they were for decoration only. She kept white birch logs in them and then accented them with gold spray-painted cotton boles and magnolia leaves artfully arranged. I loved the juxtaposition of the gold against the rustic logs and the black wrought iron.

SmilingSally said...

I love the combination of rusty and shiny silver. Good job!

Shannon said...

I love that you always post so many pictures! I love all these silver decorations! I am really getting into mercury glass too!

Deserae said...

Ohhhhh.....just beautiful! I too am in love with mercury glass although my collection is not near as big as yours! I love the little acorns and balls you spray painted silver...very clever!
~Des

Anonymous said...

Rhoda...this is so gorgeous.....Now I know what I will be watching for in those after Christmas sales!

Wendy said...

I love mercury glass too. How lovely!

Amanda said...

once again you never cease to amaze me! Can I be your neighbor?? Love love all that silver!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I love everything you put together. This is wonderful.

I'll definitely be back Monday.

La Vida Deliciosa said...

Rhoda, I love it all! Lauren came to Texas and helped my do similar things in my house. I can see that creativity runs in the family!

- Catherine, Lauren's friend from law school

Anonymous said...

Looks great Rho

Have a nice week-end,
Kathy :)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, I just LOVE mercury glass. Your silver is gorgeous! I only have 3 pieces of it, but they make me really happy. I'd like to collect more in years to come.

Inspired Kara said...

Love all the texture in this and subtle illusions to Christmas. It's beautiful, but everything always is in your home!!!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful everything looks Rhoda! I highlighted your blog on mine today. xoxo

Anonymous said...

That looks great Rhoda! Isn't mercury glass great. I think it looks good all year round! Love the urn!

Manuela

tammi said...

Oh my goodness, Rhoda! I've just looked through your last few posts and your home looks absolutely AMAZING again!! Not that I expected anything less, of course, but WOW!

paintergal said...

Rhoda, this is one reason we love you so! You can take all these objects that are beautiful individually, but when you display them they become even more specatacular!
Absolutely love the silver vignette.

Lady Katherine said...

The silver and mercury is beautiful! What a great find for 25 cents! Very lovely!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda, It is gorgeous! I too collect mercury glass. I found some pretty pieces at Hobby Lobby this week for half off! You might want to check it out!

KarenB said...

Wow, that silver stand you got for 25 cents is INCREDIBLE! I also love your mix of textures. I'm going to have to work on that.

jill said...

Lovely arrangement with a classic and inviting look. Mercury glass, eh? Hmmm ... might be a new 'interest' for me! Merry Christmas!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I am drooling...In a good way. I love all things silver, especially mercury glass!! Love these pictures. Ahhhh....

:-) Laura

aimee said...

I had so much fun pouring over your holiday decor, it's better than any magazine! Everything is gorgeous and I am totally inspired.

Thanks for visiting me today.