Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Village in the Diningroom

Last year, I didn't get the Christmas village out, but decided this year that the sideboard might be a good place to put it. And it does fit quite well on here. I used all but 3 houses and not all of the people, but I think I like it here.

I'm not entirely happy with my cottony snow, so want to get something that looks a little more realistic, but tiny villages are just so fun to look at when the lights are on at night. My village is just a collection of all kinds, from Dickens to the inexpensive variety at the drugstore and Target that I've had for several years. I have about 20 houses in all and don't plan to add more to mine, since it gets a little out of control for space reasons.
I love hanging this wreath over the round mirror in the diningroom.


Added a few sprigs of real greenery to my white creamware collection. Stacy from 19 Butternut, sent me the white Santa in her giveaway. I've had fun using all the Christmas things all over the house. Gold pinecone wreath on the china cabinet.
I have 3 of these stars that hang from the chandelier. A white Santa is on top of the china cabinet.
This year I used my largest white tureen for a centerpiece with my white and gold sparkly reindeer. Just pile some pretty glass balls in the middle, add a few sprigs and a bronzy beaded garland and call it done.
I dont' remember where I found this little reindeer, but I've had him a few years.
After I took the first pics, I went back and added the little architectural column to lift the tureen up a little.
I love the simplicity of this.
More of the chandy with fresh greens and gold glass balls. I found those glass sparkly ornaments hanging from the chandy at Big Lots a few years ago. Just tied on some pretty ribbon and they look so cute hanging here.

That's the diningroom. Hope you enjoyed more of Christmas at our house. I'll do another post on the livingroom, with the mantle and tree so stay tuned for that soon.

I'm very busy this week with The Lovelady Center Christmas party on Thursday night. My friend, Lynn from church and I will be doing the food, table settings, and getting giftbags together. I got donations from our class for the giftbags and can't wait to give them to the ladies. I'll take some pics to share with you later on that!

I'm also going to participate in
BooMama's Christmas home tour on Monday, the 15th, so check that out for lots of Christmas decorating inspiration. I've decided to host a tour here at my blog too, so if all of you want to get a post ready for Monday, I'll add Mr. Linky so that we can all go and visit each other's homes decked out for the Holidays! So, get your posts ready for Monday, it will be fun. I'll get the link up late Sunday night and you all can start adding your links and don't forget to add a link back to my post too so everyone can come to visit.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

69 friends stopped by:

A Hint of Home said...

All your Christmas decor is just beautiful. You did a great job with all of it.
Merry Christmas.

Becky K. said...

WOW~

Hope you'll stop by Hospitality Lane and enter a little contest/giveaway that is happening today!

Becky

Anonymous said...

Soooo Pretty Rhoda! I love the chandelier....

Lady of the Mote said...

wow it's all very beautiful!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Rhoda, I could just spend hours looking at all the pretty things. One of my favorites is how your soup tureen turned out. Love it all!

Lori said...

Rhoda. . .Your decorations are gorgeous. My favorite in the dining room is the village. Can't wait to see more!!

Lori

Terri Steffes said...

I am in love with the soup tureen!
I may have to copy that idea!

Anonymous said...

Just Beautiful! I am so inspired by you!

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful Rhoda.

We have some of the same pieces. I recognized the little red barn. We weren't going to put our village pieces out this year, but in the end, decided to decorate the windows in the lodge with a few of the pieces. I also set up a little country scene on the round table in our room. Isn't it fun playing with these wonderful little buildings? I always try to imagine a story behind the scenes. The one in our room has to do with going to church in the snow. I only used the quilt batting on the round table I want to get something else to soften it a bit. No snow at all in the windows because I didn't have any in the bins. May or may not add it. I still have more pieces in the bins, but I think I'll leave them there, this year.

The white shelves look great.

KM Studios said...

Wonderful decorating!!
Our family is only 3 years in the making & I have been wanting to start a Christmas Village.
Yours is really nice!
How did you get the hight for the houses in the back rows? That realy makes it seem like real landscape! Awesome!
Also I noticed the "M" monograms on those lamps-very cool!I love that!
Keep decorating Rhoda - you are a pro at it!
These posts are such a joy to see.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

It all looks so beautiful! Love the Christmas village. My daughter would flip over it.

I'm hosting "Hooked on Holiday House Tours" on Monday the 15th, too, so be sure to link to it so my readers will come and join your party, as well! Lots of partying going on next week! :-)

Picket said...

Morning girl...loved all this pretty eyecandy! Christmas villages are just so sweet and remind you of simplier times in life...the chandelier is gorgeous and I loved that peek at those toile drapes in the back ground! ohhhhh my word! lol lol Can you tell I love toile! lol Everything is just gorgeous girl...Can't wait to see more!

niartist said...

Love that dining room Rhoda, and the presentation of your creamware is just stunning - but of course! Oh, and those lamps! I'm sure you did them yourself, but what did you use for the initial? Iron-On transfer? I'm so in awe! Love everything, but especially the presentation of it all - it just works so wonderfully and you make it look so effortless! Have fun with your Christmas party, can't wait to see how it all turns out!

akawest said...

You did a fantastic job, as usual.

I want to re-introduce myself. I am sure you don't remember me, but I wrote to you many years ago via Great Impressions.

I have always been in awe of your decorating skills. I am Lisasue on GI, although, I rarely post, I always read and have been enjoying your ideas for many years.

Anyway, I have been blog lurking, and thought I should say, "Hi."

Lisa

Karen said...

so pretty and so INSPIRING!

Rue said...

Good morning Rhoda :)

Everything looks absolutely gorgeous!! My aunt has a village in her dining room too and it always brings a smile to my face :)

Oh and what a sweet hubby to surprise you like that! You two are so cute :)

I can't wait for the tour!
hugs,
rue

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda! You're decorated, and I'm not... but I borrowed someone else's pretties for my blog. LOL!

Look at all those cute little houses and things. I always wonder what the people are doing who visit them. What they're like. Such fun!

And your other pretties look good, too!

Good going!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love those little houses! If I had room I'd do it too. I love the idea of setting up a whole town just the way I like it!

O.K. - I'll sign up on Monday to do your tour. I'm not sure about the Boo Mama one. I didn't do it last year but I may this year.

Manuela

Chris said...

I want to pull a chair up in front of that village and sit there for hours just staring at it! How beautiful!

Katie said...

Wow, Rhoda, it looks incredible! I just want to shrink myself and live on your sideboard! It all looks fabulous!!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda....everything looks so Beautiful! Wow...such inspiration!!

Hugs,
Robin

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just one word...BEAUTIFUL I love what you did with the Chandy and all those little villages are so pretty..I could just move in and be right at home..I do so love all you do..I noticed the South really knows how to decorate for Christmas..Thanks so much for sharing...have a great day dear friend...hugs and smiles Gloria

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with the sideboard! I wish I had all those little houses, my kids would love that too. You have inspired me to start collecting them for next year! Thanks for sharing your lovely home.

CMB said...

Love the way you have your village displayed...my village started to take over the rest of the house so I had to have a shelf built just for it (will hopefully get pics posted today) and now I am out of room there too. All the glitz is so glamorous...can't wait for more!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful. I really like the pinecone wreath.

Denise K. said...

Oh your decor is just so gorgeous and elegant! Love your Christmas village and whimsical foyer table!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! :-)

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Hi Rhoda,

Gorgeous, the jewel tones are fabulous! Love what you did with your little bowl, and your village!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Hey Rhoda, you should use Sno Wonder...it looks like real snow! Love your chandelier!

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda
Your home looks so beautiful dressed for Christmas and I love your village. I'm sure you are glad you put it up this year.
Hugs, Rhondi

Anonymous said...

The mini village is so cute...HGTV just featured North Pole, Alaska as one of the top ten Christmas towns. I can imagine how magical it must look at night.

Anonymous said...

Your dining room looks gorgeous. I love the whites and golds - just scrumtious!

Monday sounds like fun. Since I've been doing Christmas every day this month, I'll be sure to participate.

Adrienne said...

Hi Rhoda -
Your dining room decorations just draw you in to see more! Your village is perfect there. I have a Currier & Ives village that is large enough (big buildings) to require two locations. I split them up between city and country. I love what you did with your chandy. You gave me an idea or two for mine. I've been struggling to decide how to change it a bit this year but my lights curve down, not up. I'll share my village, chandy and more soon. Now I have to get back to decorating!
~Adrienne~

Bonita said...

So beautiful! Your home reminds me of my mom's house at Christmastime. She has the Dept 56 village that she spreads all over the downstairs and it's just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, Your decorations are gorgeous! I'm easing back into blogging so stopped by to see what beautiful things you have on your blog today. xoxo

Natalia said...

Your village is fantastic! And the chandelier is drool worthy.

I love it all!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Rhoda,
Everything looks spectacular! You have the golden touch. What a talented lady you are. I really want to participate in your Mr. Linky party. I'm gonna try and get a post together, but don't know for sure if I'll be able to. We've had a family crisis this week and things are crazy around here. Thanks for the eye candy...I love coming here for that very reason!

~Amanda

Our Complete Family said...

Rhoda,
I could spend an entire day in your dining room just soaking it all in. I can't pick one thing as a favorite because I love it all!
How lovely!
Merry December, Les

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! What a winter wonderland your dining room is! It's so beautitul. I would like to borrow a few ideas from you. Love the white tureen idea and that round wreath over your mirror!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Jill said...

Everything looks lovely. I just decided the other night to hang a wreath over my round mirror in the dining room. I do have some photos of my house already, so I will do my best to get them together for Monday's post on your site!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Gorgeous gorgeous and so elegant and classy!!!

Becky

It's Always Something Around Here said...

I love all you decorations! I just posted pictures of my Christmas village...I need to take some more close ups though after looking at yours.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Ohhh it makes me all warm and fuzzy!

It looks very inviting and home-y. I love all the sparkle too.

Great job Rhoda!

Michelle said...

Simply beautiful, Rhoda! You are so very talented :)

Unknown said...

I'm drooling here....I just love your style!

Trixi said...

Oh, everything is so beautiful. I love, love, love your village. I am so partial to them and have started a little and I mean little collection myself.

SophieMae said...

It's AbFab! You have a wonderful sense of style, Miss Rhoda! I just keep ooooing and aaahhhing with each new picture that loads. I'm just now struggling to get my mantel composed for everyday. Reckon I really should turn on the steam and get it decked out for Christmas, which does seem a lot easier at this point. 8-}

Have a JESUS-filled day ^i^

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Everything looks so beautiful! You've done a wonderful job decorating everything. Just gorgeous!
Patricia :o)

Tracy said...

Rhoda, it is all so pretty. It really puts me in the Christmas spirit.
Thanks!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Pretty as can be, everything you have done is so nice.
Blessings-

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Well this certianly puts the wreath on my door to shame. :-)

Unbelievable! I'm exhausted just looking at your lovely Christmas displays.

annies home said...

I love the christmas village it looks so nice the other decorations are nice as well.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

It's gorgeous...everything!! I have my village still in my box. I just couldn't get it all done before I left for FL. Seeing yours makes me want to get it out, but I guess I will be such a fun incentive for next year.

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
It all looks so pretty. I love your village on the sideboard. I put mine in the dining room for the first time this year.

I look forward to your blog party on Monday!

Nancy Hood said...

I love the buffet and think you should set out the village each year!! and your chandy looks simple but so elegant, Rhoda. Beautiful job!!!

Suzann said...

So many goodies for the eyes to look at. Your Christmas village looks so pretty!!!
This is the first year that I have put little bits of Christmas throughout the house and I'm loving it. Next year I'll have even more to add and with all these wonderful Christmas photos in blogland, I'm just full of ideas.
Thanks for the tour - so looking forward to seeing more.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful! I love the way you decorated that chandelier! Stunning. laurie

Jules from "The Roost" said...

It is all so pretty but like the rest I love that chandelier!

Beth at Aunties said...

It looks fabulous and so Christmassy. Your village reminds me of the one my mother in-law enjoyed for so many years. what fun they are. I loved the North Pole and your snow looks wonderful!
Your dining room chandelier looks so pretty.
I will try to put together a post and join the party!
I am looking forward to seeing your mantle and the rest...

Kat said...

Rhoda I love the village! I have four Dickens Village originals that I bought 20 plus years ago when they were discontinued. My kids and I have enjoyed them very much. Your home is looking gorgeous as always and very festive! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Your dining room is gorgeous as is everything you do. I don't know how I missed this post. Love it.

ksarra said...

Your home is amazing. LOVE your Christmas village in front of the beautiful mirror and bow.

Jill said...

I love your village...so festive!

You should order some of the snow powder where you just add water and you have instant snow. They sell it at our Jr. League Holiday House every year. I'm sure it's online.

Beautiful home!

Merry Christmas!

Wendy said...

I love your Christmas Village. I use to put mine up but since having children 3y and 8 months. I have decided not to until they are older. Seeing yours makes me want to go get them and find a safe place for them.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda~
Sorry I almost missed your birthday!
I know it's about this time of year of course.

Love seeing more Christmas. It's so fun knowing the decorations and ornaments and seeing them used a bit differently each year isn't it!
Pretty, Pretty!
Donna

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Your decorations are just gorgeous. I love everything. I have been dithering about my Dickens Village--haven't unpacked it in years (we used to put it on the pool table). I'm so inspired by your pictures! Oh, Gollum--just do it. LOL

brettinsky said...

Us southern girls are so good! Your home is beautiful-you do a very good job! And your thrifty? You are a girl after my own heart!

Merry Christmas!

Lady Katherine said...

Your village is great! I love the Norh Pole!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Everythig looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Try using the new type of angel hair for the snow in your village....it will be lovely. (I even slip a string of white cord/white light mini lights under the angel hair..it just makes the village glow!)
Your decorations are all wonderful, I have thoroughly enjoyed my visit!