Friday, March 6, 2009

Granite Choices


I can't stop taking pics! Hubby still likes Napoli (middle) the best and his opinion is a big one....but keep reading!

New Venetian

(New Venetian Gold)

This is a lot harder than I thought!

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and opinions of granite, what you like and what you don’t. There sure are a LOT of opinions out there, that’s for sure. With that in mind, I’ve already changed my mind about the oil-rubbed bronze faucet. We do have hard water here and I do not want my faucet looking bad in 5 years. My hubby would be really aggravated if I got a faucet and then it was a mess in a few years, so I really need to get something that will stand the test of time and use. And after seeing a picture from Chris at Just Beachy, who has that exact faucet I was looking at…well, I’ve changed my plans now. I’m going to look for a brushed nickel and I think I’ll really enjoy that too. These first 3 pics are the actual slabs that I took a pic of today in the sunlight. They are all beautiful, so I know I’ll be happy with whatever I get, but I’m only doing this once and want to make the best choice for us.

Autumn Harmony

(Autumn Harmony) This is much more black/gold than it looks here.

So, after thinking I had it all figured out, after reading each and every comment from YOU, I went back to the granite place and brought home a few more samples, most of what I’d already looked at. I think now it’s between New Venetian Gold (which someone showed me a pic of their kitchen with this in place and her kitchen looks SO much like mine with the same colored backsplash and everything, that I have to consider it too.

Napoli

(Napoli)

I still love the Napoli too and am going to stare at all of these all weekend until we can make a decision. I think any of them will work and look good. It’s hard to get a good pic of the backsplash. It does NOT in person look pink at all, but it’s a very strong golden tone, but I can’t seem to capture it well with the camera.

Granite

When I brought the New Venetian Gold home the first time, we thought it might be too gold, but I’m not sure now. The backsplash really looks pink here, but it’s not. It’s frustrating to try to get this on camera. I think it does have a red undertone, but it’s not pink.

IMG_4354

Here’s the backsplash above the sink with the light shining on it…see how gold it looks here. I know…lighting is different all around, so some pics are deceiving with color.

IMG_4352

Autumn Harmony (black & gold), Napoli, and New Venetian Gold.

IMG_4345

Napoli and New Venetian Gold

IMG_4346

Autumn Harmony & Napoli

I’m sure I’ll have a lot of differing opinions on this, but I thought I’d throw it out there anyway. I know I’ll never have a consensus from all of you, but feel free to give me your opinion. Me and my hubby will have to agree in the end, so I’ll let you know the final choice. I may very well keep the Napoli choice! I’ll be spending some time over at GardenWeb this weekend and looking through some kitchen posts. I know that site well and it’s a great source of information.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

56 friends stopped by:

Every Day Blessings said...

I like the Autumn Harmony but the
2nd one that you like is a great choice. I don't like the third one, it is too different than your back splash.
This will be a difficult decision.
Have Fun!

SoBella Creations said...

Oh wow what a tough decision. I know I would be frantic.

I would maybe place the tile samples on different parts of your counter. Not all side by side. Then you could see which one really caught your eye.

I did this method when trying to decide which color wood floor to put down. I laid a sample in each room. Just to see how I felt when I walked into the room.

Paula said...

I like the Venetian Gold the most, Autumn Harmony second. I think the Napoli looks to light in contrast with your backsplash. But of course, it could be different in person!

Kathi said...

I like the lighter colors in Napoli. Seems to pick up the tones in your backsplash accent tile? Don't know really... but what a fun opportunity you have!
I have aqua laminate in my kitchen.
Anything would be better than that!

southerninspiration said...

I like the Autumn Harmony one, too. I remembered the name of mine...it is New Caledonian...gray background with taupe, black and silver flecks. I have a brushed nickel faucet too, and really like it!

Suzanne

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

I like the Napoli or New Venitian Gold. I have the latter. Have you seen the slab? Not all New Venetian Gold look alike. Mine has less "peach" and more grey in it. If you stop by at my blog and seach for home projects, you can see how mine looks like with my subway tiles tumble marble. Have fun countertop shopping!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is always a hard decision to pick out new surfaces. I do like the idea of seperating the samples and then placing them at different spots in different lights and see which one you like the best. What ever you decide will be gorgeous. Good luck. Hugs, Marty

Lindsay @ Makely said...

I like the Autumn Harmony, but it may be because it's so close to what I have at home. :) It's so hard to tell unless you see them in person. Be sure to check them out in all kinds of light at all times of day, too. It's amazing how afternoon sun can make something look so much different than morning sun.

Kristi M. said...

I am so glad to see the Autumn Harmony on here. It is one of my new favorites and I have never really noticed it in the past until recently in the stores. What do these look like with your cabinets. Your cabinets are pretty white so I would be afraid that Napoli would be too light. Granite tops with contrast usually look really striking and great. Those similar to Napoli have always been my favorite but recently I have started to change in what I want in my own kitchen. A little contrast always looks great. I woudl go Autumn Harmony first and Venetian Gold second. Just my two cents. Can't wait to read what you decided.

Lynne said...

I agree with Lindsey, I like the Autumn Harmony but I looks like mine too. It's true that you have to look in all lights. If you cabinets are light, I'd go darker on the counter. Also, it's important to check the slab. Some slabs of granite can vary slightly in color and pattern.

Anonymous said...

They all look really good. I think I have that Autumn Harmony and I love it. Good luck deciding.
Cheri

{oc cottage} said...

Oh, my gosh! I remember when my sister was in this quandry!!

m ^..^

Maureen said...

Dear sweet Rhodie! I know your pain! I really like the Napoli, and if you want more contrast, the Autumn Harmony is beautiful too. I think the others have movement that is too tight, for lack of a better word, but that's just me looking at pix of samples. The true test of all this is when you go to look at the actual slabs and not the representative samples, which can vary a lot. You want to see those slabs! You have a wonderful eye, and whatever you choose, it's going to be gorgeous! I love the patterns that disguise all the baddies, like crumbs and wine spots! ;)

Maureen said...

PS And don't forget about the Pandora's box that opened up with my back splash! You may find that after all, you wind up changing it down the road anyhow. The granite may be more permanent than the backsplash is! Be sure to love your choice in granite!

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

My backsplash is very similar to yours and I have the New Venetian Gold and I absolutely adore it! My cabinets are dark mahogany. But I like the Napoli too.

The Bramble Patch said...

I just redid my kitchen and we have cherry solid wood cabinets. For the L counter area we selected Venetian Gold granite, backsplash from Shaw Collonade Mosaic in Bone and a stainles undermount sink (60/40) with a single brushed nickel faucet. It works so well. Our center island has a black granite with the gold flecks (can't think of the name at the moment). Our colors work well for us; but our cabinets are different than yours and we have TONS of light in our kitchen. If you want I can send some pics to you. I am going to blog about it in the future but don't have it all together yet. I say go with your gut. Love my deep sink!!!

The Bramble Patch said...

Sorry for all the typos in the earlier post. Sheesh! Also, it is Colonnade.

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda......I have the Autumn Harmony and love it!
Carol

Natalia said...

Oh my gosh, as wonderful as it is to get granite, I do not envy you right now. I just helped my mom select 6 different granites for her home, and it was agonizing!

Best of luck, and I love all 3 of them, so no matter which you choose I think it's going to look fantastic. None of them stand out as a bad choice, you know.

Looking forward to seeing it completed,

Nat

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

I'm with your hubby. I think Napoli is beautiful and just right with your backsplash.

Can't wait to see your kitchen!

Margaret, Virginia

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing I've been there...living with samples etc...it was when I went and picked out my slab when I saw that big hunk of material that IS when I knew...with a little sample you just can't get a feel !!!

Good luck,
Kathy :)

Sofia Striffler said...

OH my Rhoda, this is what happens when we keep looking. I do not like the autumn harmony it is dark not enough movement and piazz. I always liked venetian gold. It is pretty, more gold and grey in it than Napoli. Which one has more movement. You are right you can only do the granite once and no going back so be sure. What looks good in someone else's house does not always look the same in yours based on lighting inside and out. Napoli seems more neutral but venetian gold may go better with everything in your home. Yes nickel is best for the faucet! Good luck and don't lose sleep over this!

Jenna said...

Everything looks beautiful - I posted a picture of my sister-in-law's kitchen granite & backsplash. I think her granite is Napoli (looks like big chocolate chip spots & hides messes wonderfully). I think any one of the choices would look great.

Meredith said...

I think you're making a great decision with the faucet. I see oil-rubbed bronze kitchens as being out of date in five more years, while silver-toned faucets will always be in vogue.

What an exciting project!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Hi Rhoda, just stopping by your blog and thought I would give some input on the granite. My sister has the new venetian gold with the tumbled marble backsplash very similar to yours and white cabinets. You can look at her kitchen on rms. Her user code is 11044991 and look at her country french kitchen. Then my kitche is done with giallo ornamental which is lighter in color like your napolli choice, my user code is luv2accessorize, you commented on my new yellow dining room, remember. Just thought it might help. Good luck, Kim.

Linda said...

Love the Autumn Harmony. Have fun deciding.
Blessings,
Linda

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Hi Rhoda,

We recently shopped for granite too and the granite guy said if your also thinking about resale go with a neutral granite. So with that in mind I would go with Napoli. I like it best with your backsplash. It looks alot like Santa Ceceila (we have that in our bathroom)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, I just did my kitchen countertops,which by the way has tumble stone in the shape of subway tiles for the backsplash.I also have white cabs, I chose a granite called tobacco.It looks gorgeous and the contrast with the cabs is perfect. I like the autumn harmony in your samples.

Anonymous said...

Will the Napoli have enough contrast with your white cabinets?
I like the Autumn Harmony too, but it seems a little bland.
The Venetian Gold has a lot of movement, which you will enjoy for a long time because you will never tire of looking at it, and it is a good contrast to both the backsplash and the cabinets.
I'm glad you decided against the ORB faucet, it think you'll be happy with that decision.
Best of luck...follow your gut!
Have fun with it, don't get stressed, you WILL make the right decision for YOUR home!
Desiree (desid on RMS, if you want to look at my kitchen)

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I start to overthink... but sometimes it is a necessity. I feel your pain. I agree with hubby.. napoli

Kari said...

I don't know the name of my granite {it was installed by the previous owners} but it is very very similar to New Venetian Gold. Don't particularly care for it. I would really LOVE something more neutral like Napoli. I think it goes nicely with your backsplash and I don't think you will tire of it in a couple of years like you will with the New Venetian Gold. Plus it's easier to see when it's dirty. Just my .02.

Breathing In Grace said...

http://southernlady-nancy.blogspot.com/

Look at the kitchen that Nancy is showcasing on her blog...a lady she met on Rate My Space. The kitchen reminds me a lot of your backsplash and also your kitchen color...you might get an idea of how your granite choice compares to hers!!! Hope this helps!!!

Free Art Printables said...

Love the Napoli the best! It's very neutral and will look good 15 years from now. :) jen

cotedetexas said...

I like the napoli - the stronger contrast with the backsplash which I think will be the most satisfying to you! can not WAIT to see it finished!!!!! congrats!

jessiev said...

I've been following for a couple of weeks now but just thought I would weigh in on this one...I see your dilema...they are all so gorgeous! I wish I was in such a dilema I have builder grade laminate (yuk!)...I would go withe the venetian gold...it seems to have the most character. They are all beautiful, though...I don't think you can make a mistake...trust your gut...from everything I've seen, you have impeccable taste. Good luck and most of all ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

I spent some time looking and going back; looking again and evisioning etc etc. Anyway...I came to the conclusion that I like Napoli. Contrast, is one reason and another, it does seem to have a bit of gold (re: backsplash).

I believe you will like the brushed nickel faucet. We do have oil rubbed bronze in the powder room and it is still great after 5.5 years...but that faucet isn't used a lot + we have a water softener.

The faucet in the kitchen is brushed chrome. It's pretty utilitarian, not exactly gorgeous, but the style fits the room and it's worked wonderfully for us. I would love if it was brushed nickel though.

Happy decisions Rhoda!

Anonymous said...

PS:
I do know how to spell envision!! The reason I came back; I just took another look at the previous post and have to tell you I absolutely love that black kitchen! WOW!

paperjunk-lc said...

I like Napoli. I think it's a nice contrast to the dark backsplash.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

From the functional and pratical point of view, the lighter colors in the Napoli will show less crumbs and spills than the darker granite pieces. You will find you are not constantly wiping the counter! Darker granite also tends to show streaks after cleaning. I once had a dark green almost black colored kitchen counter and I had to go through three steps when cleaning,(wipe with cleaner, wipe with wet rag, wipe with dry rag). I have heard using vinegar does not streak, but I am not wild about the smell of vinegar.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the finish on the faucet, after using various finishes over time, I have circled back around and love the basic polished chrome finish. It sparkles when the light above the sink shines on it. Plus, it is easy to clean.

Jennifer Juniper said...

I have Venitian Gold in my kitchen, it looks the same as the New Venitian Gold and I have a cream colored tumbled marble backsplash and Natural Cherry cabinets with brushed nickle faucets.

I've really liked it over the years and it wears well and never looks dirty. Good luck! Let me know if you want pics.

Janice said...

Hi Rhoda... Just weighing in with my vote for the New Venetian Gold...

Your grandmother-in-law is truly beautiful !!!

hugs - janice

Linda said...

You can't go wrong with any of these choices Rhoda. We put in granite last year and went with Santa Cecilia. I love it. I love the little bits of red ruby throughout, yet some black, gold tones, and white mixed in also. The big test is the slabs themselves. It took 4 slabs to do my kitchen and each slab was slightly different.

P.S. Napoli was in top running for us too! Maybe we'll use that one when we redo 2 bathrooms this year.

I know from experience how hard this decision can be...good luck and don't worry, you've got great taste and will take everything into consideration. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

They all look great. I know you are having a hard time finalizing your decision. I will be anxious to see the finished project. Have a wonderful weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

...Nancy said...

Hi, I just learned about your blog a few days ago...love it! My husband and I just built a new home. We have New Venitian Gold in an Antique Finish, with the Pegasus sink, and a brushed nickel Delta faucet. (See (bad) pic here, this was during construction: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LP7adQ-iiNo/SWK8Ljizt_I/AAAAAAAAAnc/UcITWPnIIWo/s1600-h/kitchen.JPG). But - it really turned out beautiful. :-)
I will be looking to your site for decorating inspiration! Nancy

Karen said...

I like the autumn harmony.........

Jennifer said...

I like the Venetian Gold after seeing the samples with your backsplash.

Mrs. Limestone said...

I had Venetian Gold in my last kitchen and I really liked it.

Here is a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanier/448767579/in/set-72157600054577340/

Anonymous said...

love your blog! I hope you havn't made your choice yet, but if you have just ignore me. I had the bronze faucets for almost 5 years in VERY hard water and it was no problem at all. We also had Venetian Gold granite and I did not like the way it developed pits all over the place. I think you should go with the darkest of the three choices, then the granite wont be fighting with your tile color as much and get too busy. We are rebuilding and I am going dark with the granite this time, and can't wait to get to that stage.

Jill said...

Your backsplash looks just like mine and my countertops are the silestone version of Autumn Harmony. Napoli is my last choice. I just went through all of this 2 years ago and am so glad I went with something a little darker for the countertops. Good luck! I know it can't be easy.

Jules said...

I actually debated your two choices in my kitchen and did end up with the Venetian Gold and love it. I also went with the brushed nickel faucet. You will be happy with either choice. They are both beautiful and it really depends on the slab you choose. Love all of your ideas!

MarthaYvette said...

ok I had to make a comment..hehe I have the Napoli granite and originally was going to get the ventian gold but when I went to the granite yard and saw the slab the ventian gold looked more "peachy" to me and the Napoli's slab had more of the nautral tones in it and with mine the burgundy specks showed up beautiful with my cherokeered and yellow in my kitchen....I say go for 'NAPOLI" :)

Kimba said...

Hi Rhoda! I have the New Venetian Gold and I love it.

Have fun!
Kimba

Unknown said...

Oh this is so much fun! We did this a couple of years ago and I actually went with an almost black granite with blue specks and I should send you a photo of the faucet and sink that my hubby picked out all by himself, I was quite proud of him. It is something people always comment on when they see it for the first time. I wish we would have gone with something like one of your backsplashs, mine is more shiny and I like the muted ones better. Fun, I can't wait to see it all done! Have fun Rhoda!

Kathysue said...

Hi Rhoda, I still like the Napoli for contrast of the light and dark.The other two will give you the look you have now.You already have a wood floor so I just think the Napoli will look fresher and not too monochromatic.Can't wait to see!! Kathysue

The Brewers said...

I am sure you have already chosen, but I just saw this post. My parents have a LARGE kitchen, and they used Venetian Gold in their's and LOVE it! Their backsplash is very similar in color to yours, and their cabinets are a dark cherry. But in all honesty, all three are beautiful and I don't think you could go wrong no matter which you choose!