Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shopping the Flea Market with Eleanor

So, let’s move on from granite for awhile. It will be about a month before it’s all completed anyway. After sleeping on it and looking at those samples again this morning, we’re back to Napoli for the final choice! We both like it the best and I really like how the white tones play off the cabinets, so I think it’s the best one for US. And I see that many of you agree with that one too. Thanks again for chiming in, it’s fun to vote, isn’t it?! And I’m glad the decision is made. Next will be picking out my slabs.

IMG_4315

I promised Grandma Eleanor that I’d try to get over there and take her out more often, so we are working on doing that more. This week I took her to a nearby antique mall and we browsed for 2 hours. We both enjoyed it. Nothing like whiling away a couple of hours surrounded by old things. I took a few pics of things I liked.

IMG_4316

Like this pretty painted kitchen cupboard. I think the price on this was less than $200 and it’s a really cute piece.

IMG_4318

Loved this oak veneered coffee table for $150. The lines of it are so classic and pretty and I can see this one painted creamy white (instead of black this time). Actually the oak veneer is not in bad shape, but has a few dings.

IMG_4320

I had to chuckle when I saw these plates. Anyone remember these Mikasa Silk Flowers plates? This was the first set of dishes that I bought for myself as a young woman in my early 20’s. I felt SO grown up using them in my first apartment with my best friend, Wanda. My taste was a little more modern back then, but after about 20 years with them, I decided to sell the whole set on Ebay and start over. Now I have a fruit pattern that I bought from Macy’s a few years ago. Funny, how tastes change.

IMG_4321

90-yr. old Grandma Eleanor was all smiles and having a good time looking too. She collects teddy bears and bought a soft cuddly one, which she really doesn’t need, but I figured for $14 if it makes her day, by all means buy another one. Their house is full of teddy bears already. Look how cute she looks in her little vest.

IMG_4326

Hanging candolier was pretty.

IMG_4327

And check these out. I’ve seen all over blogland the popularity of using old burlap sacks (mostly from Europe, I think) for pillows and such. These coffee bags were selling for $1.95, what a bargain! I really don’t want a scratchy pillow so I passed on them, but they are pretty cool.

IMG_4328

IMG_4330

Now this Lenox Butler’s Pantry tureen caught my eye too, but it was $59. Not sure if that is a good deal or not, I’ll have to look it up, but it’s a beauty.

IMG_4331

This one was $16 and really cute too, so I may have to get it later. Large too.

IMG_4350

Here’s another idea that I’ve got for my kitchen. I have this metal bakers rack that is nothing special that I’ve had for many years. I’d love to move it out for something like this…….

IMG_4329

I would keep it white and fancy it up a little bit. Might add something to the top and change out the knobs, but it’s a cute piece with a sale price of $90. Not bad! I’ll be mulling this one over.

IMG_4357

Here’s what I did find, all for a grand total of $11. This pretty creamware vase, love it.

Redwing plates

6 of these pretty little saucers by Redwing that I thought were so unusual. Love the colors and I can mix them with my white dishes.

Homer Laughlin Plate

And a little saucer by Homer Laughlin.

Fun day of looking and now I’m getting ready to hit some yardsales this morning. March is here and that means they will be in full swing! Hope you all have a great day.

Don't forget to come back on Monday for a fun and exciting giveaway!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

44 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, before I could leave (just left a couple messages on the counter post), this post popped up. What fun!!
I swear, we're looking for a little road trip. AL isn't so far from us. If I can figure it all out and stop buying secretaries and things, I think I'll plan a little antiquing trip through the south!! I love that oak table and the price is fabulous. That would be more $$, in our neck o the woods.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Oooh, there were some great things there! Thanks for sharing! I'm heading to some yard sales this morning, too, so maybe I'll find some goodies. :)

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
I always love seeing pictures from your adventures! *smiles*

Erin said...

I'm glad Grandma Eleanor got her bear. :)

Missy Wertz said...

Love that place. Made several posts about it in Oct. on my blog. That is where I got my beautiful kitchen chandelier. (and a few other things...) If I get my painting done today and leaves raked, I thought about running over there, or going by there tomorrow. Love that place!

Anonymous said...

Grandma Eleanor looks so good for 90! I'm sure she enjoyed this outing and getting another bear for her collection. The corner cabinet is so cute - if I'd know you wanted one I would have given you mine that I gave to Goodwill a few months ago!! The soup tureen for $16 I would have snatched up! It has such pretty lines and I love that first cabinet! It looks like it's not too deep and I'm looking for something like that for my dining room! I'm going to ask my husband when he's due to go to Birmingham and you'll have to tell me where this place is so he can go have a look!

Manuela

Tiffany said...

You got some great deals!

That white corner cabinet is adorable. I would have a difficult time passing that up, too.

Julie H. Schaal said...

Grandma Eleanor is just darling and sassy!

Deb said...

Wow a great day spending time with Grandma Eleanor, she looks like a lot of fun, you really saw some pretty things, loved the chandlier

Joanna said...

It looks like y'all had a great time browsing around. I just love the corner piece your wanting for you kitchen. And the other pieces you saw there were great finds as well!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

What a fun place to visit. Maybe I'll go there someday.
Grandma Eleanor sure doesn't look like she is 90! And I too love teddy bears, but mostly the old ones.
Have fun yard-saling!

Anonymous said...

"Nothing like whiling away a couple of hours surrounded by old things." I'm sure you didn't mean Grandma Eleanor when you wrote that!! She looks great for 90.

Pretty things - especially that $16 soup tureen. I would have grabbed that one in a New York minute!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I'm so sure that Grandma Eleanor loved spending the day with you and finding another Teddy Bear just makes it even more fun. There were some really neat things in this shop, hard to resist. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marty

imjacobsmom said...

Your Gramma looks great for 90! I bet you had the best day! It's especially fun to hang with your Grams and antique. It's so cute that she collects teddy bears. ~ Robyn

Linda Merrill said...

Your Grandma is so cute and how nice you can go shopping with her! Lucky!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ah, my friend, this just warmed my heart to see you on this shopping trip. How special that you took this time. And what fun things to look at. I have that same white corner cubboard. I got it at a yard sale for $40, but I haven't prettied it up yet. I need to do that.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, I'm glad you chose Napoli! Yea! That's the one I liked best for your kitchen. :-)

Looks like you and Eleanor had a blast!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I have the Mikasa dishes. I didn't really care for the fancy china patterns when I got married 28 years ago and registered this pattern for my china. Still have them. I also have the white corner shelf you are looking at. I have had mine for 21 years and paid well over $90 for it then. I live in California and the prices seem really good for the pieces you have shown us. Wish I could be there! Terri

Anonymous said...

What a great day out with Grandma Eleanor. How sweet she looks. I always love the things that you find, and you have such great ideas for you lovely home.

Have a look at my Persia Crema granite. It's a litle unusual, but it works well with my stuff I think.

I love my Blanco sink. You won't regret it.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

What a fun day!

I'm curious what she thought of you taking pictures of everything and if she "got" was a blog is. :)

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I've been looking for a soup tureen just like that one that was $16! If I was closer...I would go get it!

Connie said...

Grandma Eleanor is so cute! My mom loves to go to the antique stores too and just look. It brings back good memories of growing up on the farm. What a nice day! Connie

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda......great pictures! Where is this market located? I loved that candolier! I want one for my screen porch!
Carol

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Carol, this flea market is in Leeds, AL and is called the Bama Antiques Mall. I'm sure you can Google it and find out more about it. It's right off I-20 in Leeds.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

Come to Texas! I want to shop with you!

I love the Napoli--it's similar to my granite and I love mine!

I'm glad you and Ms. Eleanor spent an afternoon on the town!

Have a great weekend (and don't think about granite!)

Susan

Willoughby said...

I just found your blog and I had so much fun looking at all of your beautiful finds. I'd love to visit your local flea market, it looks like a great place to find beautiful pieces!

Helen said...

How fun! For you and your beautiful grandmother. I loved the green kitchen cupboard AND everything in it, the candle holder, and the (scratchy) bags. You know, you could buy one, stretch it over a hard something, frame it and hang. I love the look of that kind of art.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hope at 90 I look as great as Grandma Eleanor does. I don't blame her for picking up another bear...that is what a collection is! I'm so pleased you spend time with her.

Sheila from west Michigan

Anonymous said...

I used to have the doll painting hanging on the wall behind Eleanor... years ago. Have no clue what I ever did with it. Dang! And to think it would have been a collectible now.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

mgster said...

Hey, I went antiquing today too! It was a beautiful day here weather wise. Your grandma is such a beautiful lady! I can't believe she's 90! Thanks for showing us all these things you saw.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Looks like a fun day, Rhoda! Elenor is just precious!

Kristi said...

Rhoda, I was just at Bama Flea Market last Friday. I was up in B'ham for a conference that I thought started Friday AM, instead Friday PM, so I hit the road to go treasure hunting. I got some neat painted ceiling tiles to hang SOMEWHERE in my house. I was hoping your expert eye would have caught an old tool chest that I adored... but I didn't get. I just knew I was going to see it on here! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking us shopping with you! I love your idea of replacing your wire shelf with that sweet cubboard- That is such a sweet looking one!

blessings
mary

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Your Grandma Eleanor is a gorgeous woman. You obviously inherited great genes. How wonderful that you took the time to spend the day with one another. Savor every delicious moment.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What a fun day you had with your Grandmother! She is adorable. Great finds too. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

Wow - I must REALLY be behind the times! I have just spent the last hour or two reading your blog - I knew I don't know anything about decorating, but now I REALLY know it! I had to Google ORB to find out what kind of faucet that was?!

And I love your Grandma - wow what a great looking lady!

And about kitchens - gee, I have an old stainless steel sink, and I would LOVE to have a white Kohler sink!!! (was that your previous sink-I think???)-I have gotten confused - but I grew up right near Kohler, anyway..... I digress. And my kitchen is in such bad need of redoing - but heck, I was happy last year we got new counter top - a whole twelve feet of new laminate for $40.00, it was a huge improvement! And I did pick up a white sink at a garage sale, just haven't had the heart to make hubby put it in, if they aren't such a good thing to have! (I had heard that before) And I do still have old wallpaper in my kitchen from YEARS ago, and need to replace it, but making decisions is a tough one for me! So I just keep what I have! (sideways grin!) My first priority in the kitchen tho is my 30 year old Mannington vinyl floor, ah yes, but more decisions - anyway - you have a LOVELY kitchen, and I really liked your one from last August (?) too - I love beadboard! So just wanted to tell you I enjoyed the tour!

Hugs from Michigan - Diane

jessiev said...

Flea Marketing and yard sales in March...makes me want to move south!!!! I can't wait til it warms up here in New England!!
Go back for that $16 soup tureen... far too wonderful to pass up!
Glad Grandma Eleanor got her bear...I collect teddies too...but only display them at Christmas...the grandkids love it.

Kris said...

Looks like you and grandma had a fun day. She looks very happy to be out shopping for teddy bears.

Great pics. The sacs would look great framed and hung on a wall.

Kris

susan said...

Wish I could get to the $16 soup tureen!! Looks like a fun day for all!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

I love your granite choices, but looking at the rest of your beautiful home, I would go with something with a black background. I know you would be worried about it being dusty and all, but I think it would be beautiful. I found one called Verde Peacock, it's black with green tones. We are using it on our outdoor kitchen. It would give you more of a contrast too. But that's just me.

Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love flea marketing. And estate saling, and junking! Thanks for taking us along with you:) Hope you had a great weekend.

Susie Q said...

Hey, those feed sacks gave me a great idea. You and Nester are my two 'must reads' every day. My Army son left some stuff in our garage...and among those things is a coffee bean bag from the coffee shop he worked at...and it would make a great mistreatment to go over the kitchen sink...it would go well with the dustcloth that I used this weekend on a den sliding door..oh THANK YOU!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, you know how I love me a good treasure hunt! This place looks FUN! I, too, would go saling with you any day. :-) I'm fairly sure that $16 tureen would have had to come home with me. As would Grandma Eleanor. I can NOT believe she's 90. She's my new idol I do believe.

Jenny said...

Grandma Elanor looks great! I would have never thought she was 90!

It looks like you both had a great time.