Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Guest Post: Southern Plate

Please welcome my guest today, Christy with Southern Plate. I had been by Christy’s very informative and fun food blog before, but when I happened to sit at the table with her at the Blissdom conference and we both had been to each other’s blogs, it was just meant to be. And Christy invited me to guest post for her today, so go over and say hello, please!

We are kindred Southern soul sisters and can relate on so many food levels. I just fell in love with her great attitude and personality and she is coming by today to share a very fun recipe with all of you. I saw this on her blog and told her this is the one I wanted to feature. My mom made these homemade doughnuts for us growing up and I thought they were they best things EVER! Who needs Dunkin Doughnuts with these at your fingertips. Well, you do have to fry them up yourself, but they are so tasty and delicious. It’s been ages since I’ve had these, but as I read through the recipe and saw the pics, it brought back very fond memories from my childhood (bottle cap doughnut holes too!). Mama did them with glazed icing on the top or either we filled a paper bag with confectioners sugar and shook them til coated. However you coat them, they are SO GOOD! Welcome, Christy! I'm going to be making these again soon.

Hello! I am thrilled to be guest posting on Southern Hospitality, a blog I've frequented since I first began blogging myself! Having had the pleasure of meeting Rhoda at the recent Blissdom '09, I was not surprised in the least to find her every bit as delightful as her blog. I was thrilled to be invited to guest post, almost as thrilled as I was when Rhoda agreed to guest post for me! Special thanks to Rhoda for graciously sharing her wonderful readers with me for the day. I do hope you'll stop by SouthernPlate.com and visit with me a spell!

Gratefully, Christy

IMG_4091

Melt in Your Mouth Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts

southernplate doughnuts

Look at that photo. Is your mouth watering yet? How about if I told you that you could make these amazing treats, serving them warm and golden to your family, with no knowledge whatsoever of yeast or dough, no special equipment other than what you likely have on hand, and have them done start to finish in under ten minutes, including prep time?

I sound like an infomercial, don’t I? I bet you’re half expecting me to cock one eye “ShamWOW! You’ll just say, WOW!”

Seriously though, we Southerners (and humans in general), love our doughnuts. Mama says you always need to drink a diet coke with doughnuts because it cancels out the calories. This is what she and Aunt Sue did the time they were in Gatlinburg, and stopped by the Krispy Kreme. They got one dozen hot doughnuts (the ultimate in luxury!) and two diet cokes. By the time they got back to the hotel, they had eaten the entire dozen! They had the good sense to throw away the doughnut box (hiding the evidence) before they got to the room but then discovered their husbands were waiting on them so they could go out to eat. Still, by then they were stuffed (and feeling slightly ill) and couldn’t stand to eat!

Now one of the great things about these is that you don’t have to run to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ and you don’t have any evidence to hide! The most important thing though is that they begin with CANNED BISCUITS! Seriously!! No, they do NOT taste anything like a biscuit when you are done. They taste every bit as melt in your mouth good as they look!

SP doughnuts

The ingredients are simple and as I said before, you likely have them on hand. You’ll need vegetable oil and canned biscuits for the doughnuts and margarine, cinnamon, and sugar for the coating.

For the biscuits, I get cheapie generic Texas style, but any style at all will do, just don’t get the flaky layers because they will absorb the oil whereas normal biscuits won’t if we get our oil hot enough before frying them. When I was done, you couldn’t tell a difference in my oil level from when I started

SP doughnut holes

Now you can go buy a doughnut cutter or some other fancy finagled device (which I actually have tucked away in the dark recesses of my kitchen drawers) but I like to show y’all how to do things the simple way. I’m a big fan of not over complicating a simple matter. For that very reason, we are going to just use a plain old bottle cap to cut the centers of our doughnuts out. I love y’all so much that I drank a Diet Dr Pepper just to have this for you. Oh, the sacrifices I make for my Southern Plate family!!

SP doughnut holes2

Cut out the holes in every doughnut, reserving them to cook along with the doughnuts.

Sp doughnuts2

Voila, our doughnuts are done!

These are my every day dishes, which I love. You always remember the dishes you ate on growing up. Ours had little green flowers going around the outside of the plates and my grandmother’s had little blue flowers. When I chose these dishes, I wanted my kids to remember a colorful rainbow. They just seemed happy and reminded me of what a childhood should be like, don’t you think?

SP doughtnuts cooking

Pour your oil in a skillet. You need a little less than a half inch. Heat your oil on medium to medium high for several minutes. We want it to be hot so that our doughnuts are instantly seared when they enter it. This prevents them from absorbing too much of the oil and being soggy. To test my oil, I put a doughnut hole in it. It should sizzle and bubble around the edges and then you know its hot enough.

Now I put all of my doughnuts in at once. If your skillet isn’t big enough you may have to do them in batches. By the time you have put them all in, some may already be ready to turn. It takes less than a minute for them to be ready to turn over.

This is how they look, nice and golden. Turn them all over and let them cook until the undersides are this way. All in all, this should take less than two minutes. Remove cooked doughnuts from oil and place on paper towel lined plate. Do the same with the donut holes. The doughnuts should have cooled slightly so that you can handle them but they will still be very warm. Pick each one up and dip both sides in melted margarine…Then press them down into the cinnamon sugar on both sides. Repeat with all doughnuts and doughnut holes.

SP finished doughnuts

Eat them warm. They will positively melt in your mouth, they are so good!

No one will believe you started out with canned biscuits so lets just keep that little tidbit to ourselves ~grins~

Melt In Your Mouth Doughnuts (Made With Canned Biscuits!)

1 ten count can Texas style doughnuts (or your preference, just not flaky layers)

1 Cup Sugar

1 1/2 T cinnamon

1 stick margarine, melted

Vegetable Oil For Frying

Pour oil into skillet to the depth of a little less than 1/2 an inch and heat on medium to medium high for about five minutes. In a bowl, melt margarine. In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.

Using a plastic bottle cap, cut the center out of each biscuit. Drop dough into hot oil, watching carefully and turning when golden. Once doughnuts are golden on both sides, remove to paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all dough is cooked, including doughnut holes.

Dip both sides of each doughnut into melted margarine, then press both sides into cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve warm. For the complete post and more pics, click here to see the recipe on Christy's blog.

Thank you Christy, for bringing back some wonderful childhood memories for me. I hope you will try these with your kids. They will be SO happy and excited to make their own doughnuts, just as we were growing up. Go over and check out Christy’s food blog, Southern Plate! It is beautiful with so many wonderful Southern recipes to try.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

50 friends stopped by:

Lyndas recipe box said...

Thanks for the memories! My Mother used to make these and my brother and I waited in anticpation when they were frying!I havent had one of these delicious donuts in years.

Jennifer said...

my mom used to make these, too! but she paired them with simple milk-powdered sugar-vanilla icing. the cinnamon-sugar sounds delicious, I'll have to try that.

Sara F. said...

I think I need to buy some new plates since we are just using plain, old white ones! You are so right about remembering the ones you grew up with! Now I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until tomorrow morning and surprise my boys with these doughnuts or go for it right now! Thanks for the easy recipe!

Tonja said...

That is a wonderful recipe! I am sure my kids will love these! I am going to make these this weekend!

I am on my way to visit Christy's blog!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I want those NOW!!! PS - I wonder if they sell Texas buscuits in CA. HA!

edie said...

Thanks ladies. I may try these in the morning!

Arlynn said...

Yum, yum, yum!!! Now I have a strange feeling that my current low-carb diet craze won't stick... Thanks. A. Lot. Seriously : )

Allyson said...

Oh my, having such easy access to something I love so much may be a bad thing! I love how you cut the centers out!

I may have to try them with Jennifer's moms recipe too! YUM!!!

Unknown said...

I am soooo going to make these and Rhoda' Chicken Divan. Love that you girls are on each other's sites.

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Hey Christy nice to meet you, I'm Kathy Rhoda's Yankee friend LOL

Oh my these sound yummy....I can't wait to try them, they sure sound easy !!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I guess I was robbed as a child my Mamma never made these !!!

All the best,
Kathy :)

We've Got Scents said...

Thanks for a great sounding recipe. I've never tried these but hope the grandkids will help me try them soon. Also had to add your sweet guests blog to my favorites. She has some GREAT sounding recipes! Your guest post recipe sounds yummy too.
Blessings to both of you always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

susan said...

What a treat to have two of my favorites in one post!! I think I am making the Dr. Seuss cupcakes for Friday. Many thanks!

Silvia said...

omg they look soo good.i'm so making these..you are so talented i think you should have your own show...seriously!...thanks ...

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Nice to meet ya! I visit Christy all the time too and saw your guest post over there so wanted to pop in and say hello.

I love these donuts - and they are definitely popular down south for sure. Homemade donuts are wonderful but take time so these have always been a favorite shortcut. We've always done them with the glaze too, but I like 'em all ways!

Mary

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Thank you Rhoda and Christy! I can't wait to try these. They look scrumptious. I will definitely be visiting Southern Plate when I get back! You two are awesome!

Blondie's Journal said...

Christy,

I had forgotten how much I loved to make these donuts up at the lake with my kids and any of the little kiddies that came to stay the weekend. We used to have a little assembly line making them. Thanks for the tip on using the bottle cap, we just stuck our thumbs in the middle & pulled them apart. We also liked to use chocolate cake frosting, it melted as soon as you spread it on. Oh, so gooey & decadent.

Thanks for reminding me of these donuts, I can't wait to make them again this summer at the cottage. A true treat for guests!!

xoxo
Janie

kari and kijsa said...

those doughnuts look and sound fabulous! What fun guest posting!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

The Country Nest said...

Oh my gosh, my grandson has been asking to make donuts....and I have been putting it off. Thanks to you wonderful ladies guess what he is getting this Saturday morning? Thanks for a great post~

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Ooooooh, these look good! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

there's something comforting about the promise of sweet fried dough...YUM!

Steph said...

I make these ALL the time for my kids! Except, I just take the biscuit and cut it into fourths and fry like that... they look like the doughnut holes! And then I make a glaze of powdered sugar and water! My daughter loves them so much she asked me to make them the morning after a slumber party for all the girls!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I used to make these, when my children were growing up. I haven't made them in awhile. Perhaps I'll make some this weekend.

Such a simple recipe, but delicious!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, I made these all the time for my kids and grandkids, and I still make them. They are sooooo good. Hugs, Marty

Coffee with Cathy said...

Thanks so much for reminder about these. As so many others have said, my mom used to make these for a treat and my brothers and I gobbled them up every time. I'd completely forgotten about them but now they're on my to-make list to dazzle and impress my own family. Love it!

BlueCastle said...

Those look amazing! So not fair to see this before I've had breakfast - and no refrigerator dough in the house. :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

DELICIOUS! I am going to try this one!

Karen said...

oh they look so good! I remember making them when I was around 12 years old. The oil splashed on my hand and burned me pretty good. I haven't made them since:(.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, visiting you from Christy's blog.
Your chicken divan recipe is so simple but looks very good. I have never heard of a 'divan' but I will try your recipe!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Oh my goodness! I am going to have to show this to my hubby so he can make them this weekend. Yes, I said my hubby. He does most of the cooking and loves every minute of it! So do I!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

We used to make these all the time when I was a kid!

They're also really good if you skip the sugar, let them cool a bit and then frost them. :)

I haven't had these in years!

Kimba said...

How fun to find Christy visiting with you!

My mother-in-law makes these doughnuts and they are fantastic! Thanks for the reminder. I think I have a tube of biscuits in the fridge right now. Off to check!

Kimba

Tiffany said...

Oh dear, this information can be dangerous. My dad used to make these when I was a kid. He also made chocolate sauce. MMMMM!

Kelly H said...

My mom makes these!! They are soooooo yummy, melt in your mouth yummy :)

Montee said...

I make these all of the time. My son's friends think I am amazing.

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

Okay I may have to spoil my children Sunday morning and try these. Wonderful post. Thanks!

Runner Mom said...

Yum and yum! I've done that years ago! They are delish! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Susan

Meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

I'm over here through Southern Plate. I can't wait to take a look through your blog.

~meg from Lower Alabama

momof3girls said...

My momma always made those yummy doughnuts with powdered sugar (yummy!) However I am betting that the cinnamon sugar would be to die for with a cup of coffee! I am stopping at the store on the way home from picking the children up at school today! Tommorow everyone will be so surprised to get warm doughnuts! Thanks for the inspiration~!!!!

Joanna said...

Yummy! I can't wait to try these doughnuts out. My great grandmother used to make them from scratch. After seeing her recipe, I would never tempt to try to make them. These, I will!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Rhoda...

Yuuuummmmy!!! What a grand idea for cinnamon sugar doughnuts...I'm going to try them!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe...it's a doughnut recipe that I might actually be able to "pull off"..hehe!

Just have to say that after looking at your last post...I think that my dining room walls are the exact same color of olive green! I also painted my living room the same color due to the fact that I have such an open floor plan. I'm loving the olive...it's such a moody color...it looks so different throughout the different times/lighting through the day!

Warmest wishes...
Chari

A Hint of Home said...

Oh my, they look so wonderful. I can almost taste them now. They look so easy to do. I will be trying them soon.

Janet said...

Oh Yum!!! My mother used to make these. I forgot about them. I think I will subject my children to them. ;)

Amanda said...

Being a Texas girl, I did eat these growing up. Thank you for reminding me about them. I'll have to make them with my daughter!

Rhoda, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!

Helen said...

Loved your post today .... I made something very similar to yours for my children, and now my grandchildren, as they were growing up. Mine require buttermilk biscuits, I don't make the holes, but fry in oil the same way you do, dip in sugar and cinnammon. They totally puff up and we call them Mexican Crullers. I am positive I didn't spell this correctly ... but you get the idea.

Sit A Spell said...

I forgot about making them that way! I will make some with the kids this weekend! How fun and yummy.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Wow! These look yummy!

Anonymous said...

It's true! These are so delish! We drench them in icing and they are pretty darn close to the real thing!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

The fact that I know making doughnuts can be this easy is so dangerous I can not even tell you. Me and my expanding hips would like to thank you.

:-)

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the easy doughnut recipe and the link to Christy's food blog. I tried her peanut butter brownies with peanut butter fudge frosting--they are so good they'll bring tears to your eyes!

I love checking in and seeing what you've posted on your blog.