Monday, March 2, 2009

Lighting

IMG_4257

I’m such a firm believer that lighting makes a big difference in a home. Did any of you inherit one of these lovelies in your kitchen? I’ve been eyeballing this thing for 3 years with plans of one day getting rid of the white box. Hate these things! I guess the only thing they are good for is they do put out a lot of light, but they sure are unattractive. I had my eye on one of those pretty tracklights with adjustable spotlights. I think they are pretty neat.

IMG_4273

So, when I found a deal last week at Lowes, I jumped on it. I had to be a bulldog about it, but I got the deal. I was in one Lowes store and saw these on clearance for $69.50. Of course, they had no more, only the display model was up there. He looked on the computer and saw that another store not far away had a couple in their stock, so he gave me the phone number to call. I did call on my way out of the store and the other store told me that they are not obligated to match a clearance price from another store. I couldn’t believe that policy! He told me I could come by and check it out and to at least ask, but didn’t give me much hopes of getting the clearance price. Regular price was $150.00, way more than I wanted to pay. So after checking in at the store and asking again about matching the clearance price, at first I was told no by the department manager. I insisted on talking with another manager behind the Customer Service counter. He asked me what I was looking at, so I went and showed it to him. He brought it back up to the counter and checked in his computer and told me HE COULD MATCH THE PRICE! Yippee! I was pretty excited.

IMG_4259

So, I took it home and proceeded to install it the next day. Wherein my hubby came in to help me hold it up as I was trying to put the screws in and I'll just go ahead and tell you that I dropped the teeny tiny screw 4 times and the 4th time it went down the heat vent. See, my projects don’t all go perfectly smooth, so you can feel better about your own now. Hubby shook his head, called me Blonde, and left me to it as I scrambled to find another screw that would fit. I found one, got it installed and I’m a happy girl! The old white box left 2 holes on either side of the main box and I had to caulk them with caulking, but luckily the 2 side mounts covered most of it up, so it’s really not noticeable after I touched it up with white ceiling paint.

IMG_4260

It’s an antique brass finish which looks perfectly fine with the hanging chandelier in here that I got at a yardsale. And I love those little swivel heads on it that can be moved all around the kitchen. It’s a bright white light which is great for task lighting.

HPIM1994

Hubby’s response to the new tracklight was not all that enthusiastic (he thought the old one was just FINE) and his first question was, how much are those replacement light bulbs going to cost me. Ha! I’ll have to find that out next time I’m in the store. Men and women sure have different ways of looking at things, don’t they?

Brass Light fixture

I then moved on to the master bath and I’m happy to say, that all the light fixtures are now completed, including 2 of these. Aren’t these about the ugliest things you’ve ever seen? We live in a nice 10 year old house, but the fixtures these builders put in leave a lot to be desired. After 3 years, I’ve finally changed them all out, many from yardsales and a few on sale at Lowes, so I did get some great deals. Every single builder’s brass fixture is gone now and none too soon for me.

After fixture

Ahhh, much better! I had already bought the over the mirror fixture below, so now they all coordinate. These are not overly expensive fixtures (from Home Depot), but work just fine for me. If you’re patient, you can find some good deals out there, just keep your eyes peeled.

Mirror light

And speaking of the kitchen, I have other exciting news. I’m finally getting granite countertops! We’ve currently got tiles in the kitchen and after 3 years, the grout is looking pretty rough. I’ll do a kitchen post soon and we’ll talk about countertops. I want to hear what all of you have too!

Since this is a before and after post, I'm going to participate in Susan's Met Monday, so go and check out all the other inspiration from her blog today, Naps on the Porch.

Birmingham Girls: Check out the post below about our Saturday flea market adventure next weekend!

I've also got another special guest coming by on Wednesday for a fun post, so be sure to stop back by. I think you'll love this girl!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

61 friends stopped by:

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Love your light re-dos. We took out that ugly white light in our 30year old kitchen and put in some canned lighting and it was the best re-do we did. Way to be firm about the price! They should honor all sales - they are a chain! Linda

Anonymous said...

We have similar lighting in the studio. There are three separate fixtures along the length of the room. We installed it so I would have a little better lighting, should I decide to work on projects in the studio. Then I moved the antique iron bed and other things into the studio. I thought I would not like the tracks. But...they are great for spotlighting different areas of the room.

I like your new track lighting and good for you for being tenacious in getting the clearance price!

If I were in B'ham, I would definitely meet up with ya'll on Sat.

Stacey said...

Looks great Rhoda. Our house is only 8 1/2 years old...I picked all the fixtures...and I could already change some of them. The styles just change!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Wonderful!! I like the track lighting. I'm sure it's better task lighting as well b/c you can aim it.

We had one of those big florescent boxes in our old house...but it was actually built into another box on the ceiling, so there was little that could be done. One industrious weekend when I was out of town, DH ripped out the box sheet rocked over it and put in 6 eye ball spot lights. What a huge difference it made!

We have a few of the mushroom lights in the new house that we will be replacing when we get around to it. There's just so much we want to do, it's hard to get it all done!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Rhoda, love the makeovers. I have similar lighting in my bathrooms. I agree, those darned boxed lights don't look the best. I've also learned that I really need to start yard saling and watching for good sales. Thanks for sharing.

NCJill said...

Rhoda! That looks awesome! And, I like your new blog-look too. You are one classy lady.

We have one of those ugly box lights in our kitchen too, so I am glad to see an alternative because I couldn't picture what else would look good there. Your persistance paid off at Lowes. Good for you!

Looks like you got about the same amount of snow we did in NC. My kids are loving it, and so am I because I give them the day off of homeschool when public schools are closed. Kids forget that teachers love the day off too. :)

NCJill said...

PS We also have the ugly builder-grade lights in our foyer. I took down the brass and spray painted them black. At least they look a little better that way until I can afford a replacement. You are the one who inspired my black spray painting fix. :)

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Hi Rhoda,
I am always impressed when I read what "you" do in your home! I would never tackle anything electrical or that involves wood and a saw,lol. Great Job!

Lisa

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great job, Rhoda!

I'm glad you persisted with Lowe's because that fixture is SO neat! Looks a thousand times better than what was there. I hate those things, too, and lived with one in a previous home. It did put out a light of light, but UGH! I just ignored it, though now I'm wondering how. LOL!

Great going! Can't wait to see more...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Joanna said...

We had a ceiling fan in our kitchen that we just gross from the grease, not sure why somebody would put one in our galley kitchen, but whatever. We installed lighting so very similar to what you did in yours and it just really made a huge difference! I have learned while making over rooms in our home that lighting fixtures play a huge role in the design. It's so much fun to switch one out and see the room transform!

rustycupboard said...

I just changed out a light in our family room. I was scared to do it because it was my first electric light to do. I followed the instructions and it was easy. So nice to know that I can do it and not have to hire it done all the time. Now on to the kitchen for more lighting in there.

Anonymous said...

I have one of those boxes, only framed in oak that I am trying to come up with something to replace. I have to admit that I am not crazy about track lighting. Sorry! Hubby has suggested a flush mount or semi-flush mount fixture (4-bulb) that will match the small chandy over the breakfast nook table. I'm thinking about it and watching for a good deal. LOL He's installing under the cabinet lighting also, so I think that will give me plenty of lighting.

Love the bathroom fixture!

Hey, we built 11 years ago and ***I*** picked out all my lighting fixtures and have changed out my dining room and am in the process of doing the kitchen and MB. Things change!

tina

tinam61@yahoo.com

julie & joe said...

I love the track lighting! I have an ugly box in my kitchen but the mess on the ceiling is much worse. I'll have to post some of my ugly lights.

southerninspiration said...

Ooooh, love the new fixture...good for you for being persistent!
Countertops......after Ike, my kitchen redo included granite countertops... I LOVE them. I know you will, too! It's much harder to choose, especially if you go to the granite yard. The large pieces often do not look like the samples, so choose from the slabs rather than the samples!!!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I was exicited to see your new lights and to learn that you did it yourself and then I read ...GRANITE! What? Oh you lucky girl...your living my dream now. Please tell us all about it because Im so wanting to do my kitchen but the cost just keeps me away. Now I know that if Miss Rhoda is going to get them...she has done her studies! Im all ears girlfriend. ps... I did something on my walls...no,not paint. I will have to tell all about it after I feel better and get Madisons room complete. Have a great one !

Amy said...

There's usually not a project too big for me to attempt. But electricial is one that has scared me a tad. We've moved into a smaller home temporarly until our new home is built and the lighting is terrible! I don't want to invest tons of money in it b/c we won't be here long. But a year with poor lighting may be too long! Do you have any pointers? I love your blog by the way...lots of inspiration!! Thanks!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Your light updates look fabulous!! Great job on getting that deal, they must have known you meant business. :)
~Michelle

Melinda said...

Rhoda, be sure to check with Birmingham Marbleworks, ask for Emily.

I just got my new granite for $35.00 a square foot, 1/2 what everybody else was charging. They came out measured and installed for that price.

And they look fabulous. Check out my blog, http://youknowjuststuff.blogspot.com for pictures.

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Well, hellooooo there, Rhoda~~~ it's been a while, hasn't it?!?! Your blog is looking just LOVELY~~~ Soooo classic!!! Congrats on that, AND, sticking to your guns at Lowes!!! Nice to "see" you again! Hugs, Linda

the undomesticated wife said...

This is soooo weird!!!

We had those awful box lights in the kitchen, and this weekend I bought new ones to replace them, and they are similar to yours! Almost identical! Hubs put them up on SAturday, and I was planning on blogging about it today.

(twilight zone) Doo dooo dooo dooo doo doo dooo doo!

Yours look great!

Anonymous said...

I didn't get the "lightbox" with my house, just plain outdated lighting and not my style. Your solution looks great! Lots of ambiance with spots.

BlueCastle said...

I love your new kitchen light! I'm so impressed that you did that yourself. Sounds like our husbands have the same ideology. :)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL! And I am really impressed that you did all of this yourself. What a huge difference it makes.

I guess all husbands are pretty much the same, no matter how butt ugly something is, if it's functional it's fine. Functional is the "F" word in our house. ;-)

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Good job on the transformation. I have all my ceiling lights switched out except the bathroom. I want an exhause fan/light put in so it involves more work. Someone will have to go in the attic run a vent to the outside. Our access panel is so small I'm afraid only a 12 year old kid would fit through. Do you know any 12 year old handymen?

jerseygirl211 said...

Hi Rhoda,

Here I thought I was the only one who had to talk DH into a change. I'm working on a big one, we have sprial stairs in our family room, I want them out so badly, but I can't get my 'other half' to agree to replace them. The previous owners of our house, had foster children and they had to have two ways down from the second floor, so they put in these cheap stairs. I hope I'll have your luck and get them replaced soon. Your lights look fantastic and make a big difference. Good for you !!!!

Hugs
'D'

Tracy said...

Rhoda, I removed my "ugly white box" from my kitchen Saturday! :) Your new one looks great! Sorry about the deleted comments...blogger is not acting nice and posted my comment three times! I'm sure it is not the commentor goofin' up. LOL
Tracy

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Love that the brass is gone!! I'm still working on a couple more at our house -- they are about 15 feet up so I can't do it myself. :(

Jen said...

Im loving the new lighting! I think new lighting puts a whole new perspective on a room and it is SO OFTEN a piece of the room that is not touched when updating.

I love those blue plaid curtains, too! :)

Im giving away an apron at my blog. www.traversaloflife.blogspot.com Come over & comment so you can possibly win!!!!!! yay!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Well, I love that $69.50 fixture! We had a similar light fixture to your original one...but it was WORSE! The previous owners tried to fancy it up by creating a stained glass cover for it! I hate to use this pop culture reference...but talk about trying to put lipstick on a pig! I couldn't rip it out quick enough. We had to get a ceiling fan, though. I really don't care for them but we really do need them at the (hot, humid) shore house. I would have preferred something similar to yours. Well done!

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda,

Love the new lights and the fact that you cut a deal AND installed them! And during this your hubby called you the dreaded "B" word? Oh my!

I am putting new countertops in at the lake. After looking at granite and silestone, I decided on quartz and I am really happy. Good luck!

xoxo
Janie

Unknown said...

I have to agree. I think lighting in a room is like putting jewelry with an outfit. It finishes it off. Your lighting is beautiful!

marmielu said...

Rhoda, I'm so impressed that you did this yourself! I would love to change some of our fixtures, but have never done any electrical before. Did you teach yourself or have some help learning what to do?

I really like the new fixtures. Brass is my favorite.

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Looks fantastic! Great job as usual!

Deb said...

Good for you for sticking with it, persistance usually pays off, or they just get tired of you and let you have your way LOL, I'm glad it worked out, the new light looks great! Like they say Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars...

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Rhoda, congrats on getting the job done...I love a woman that will stand up to a man and get what she wants..Yippee.. you got the deal and a great light in the bargain.. Looking forward to your new countertops..hugs ~lynne~

The 5 Bickies said...

Your new lighting looks fantastic. You did such a nice job with the changeout.

Sofia Striffler said...

Nice Job and great deals. I am glad you are getting your granite. If I can be of any help let me know I have used alot of granite in my clients homes including mine.
Expressively,
sofia

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Great track lights Rhoda!!!

Husbands. Hrrmmph sometimes!!

Julie said...

wow - beautiful new editions!!! I redid the lighting in our barn recently.

Ace said...

Love them! Did you think of checking IKEA?

Is that the master bath that's blue? Gorgeous! We are currently renting a house and I cannot wait to possibly buy and fix it up my way.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I have all builders brass door fixtures. Changing out all my door handles would cost me an arm and a leg. I plan on spray painting them this summer a dark charcoal.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hi Rhoda~
My post today is about lighting too, just not about me changing MINE. I love your new fixtures, can't wait to change out some of mine. I will have to start shutting off some power and doing it. There are several great fixtures sitting around in the basement just waiting to be changed! My poor husband doesn't have the time. Love these!
~Misti

SoBella Creations said...

Great lighting finds!

Unknown said...

I love your new kitchen light fixture. I need to work on replacing some of mine too.

Justabeachkat said...

You're becoming quite an electrician, aren't you?! You go girl! It all looks great.

Hugs!
Kat

Ms. Tee said...

The new track lighting is so pretty - I never knew they made them in silver or other colors like that. It looks great! Congratulations on getting granite - I can't wait to see it. Thank you for your sweet comments on my bathroom sprucing. :)Have a great week!

Chandy said...

Lovely choice for today's Met Monday! Sorry for the late visit; too many errands...

Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

Chandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shell in your Pocket said...

Great lights!
sandy toe

Amanda said...

Oh, I LOVE all of the new fixtures! There's just something about those builder's brass fixtures...That's mostly what I have in my house and I can't wait to finish changing them out. Yours all look beautiful - especially the one about the bathroom mirror.

I've recently found your blog and I love it! Thanks for all of your great ideas and advice!

Glenda said...

Well your a handy, dandy gal to have around.


Ciao

Cass @ That Old House said...

Wonderful lighting choices!

And you do the wiring yourself? I'd do that, but I'm afraid of heights, so I'd need ceiling fixtures that were mounted on the floor!

I'll stick to table lamps, lol.

Lovely blog, many thanks!!
Cass

Lori said...

You're such a brave girl to work with electricity! I'm not comfortable at all switching out lighting like that. The changes really did make a huge difference. Looks great!

cotedetexas said...

Perfection! those are so pretty - love the brass on them. really really nice. and Lowes are crazy people - what a policy!!

love this - can't wait for the final kitchen redo.

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

What a difference lighting can make! I love what changes you have made, Fabulous Darling!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Kathi said...

Love the new light in your kitchen!
I've been planning to do the same thing in mine. Right now there's a really ugly ceiling fan there.
AKA grease magnet! You've inspired me to add this project to my long list of things to do SOON!
Not sure I'll make it on Saturday. I might need to stay home and get something accomplished? Will let you know for sure later...

Picket said...

Morning girl..I have one of those 'boxes' in my kitchen and have wondered what to do to get just as much light but out of something pretty! These look great!

I have changed out alot of my builder's fixtures and hope to change some more.

Thanks for coming by and for the comments on the molding...girl I stood in Lowes for the longest trying to decide what to do...I had picked out my wood molding already and Bill was ready to load it up but I just knew I'd waste so much of it and I'd never get it to look as good as yours and I almost made myself sick trying to make a decision...but in the end I know the premade was the best route for me and I really am pleased with it...Just need another 'arm & an a leg' to get some more! lol lol

Anonymous said...

You found yourself some pretty lights. Very nice indeed!

Runner Mom said...

Don't you love that Lowes??? They look great, Rhoda!!

Hugs,
Susan

Tonja said...

I love the lighting! I can't wait to start replacing the lighting in my house. The bad part is I have to replace it in every room.

I just wanted you to know that I love reading your blog and hope that we can become blog buddies!

Kelley said...

I totally agree. Lighting makes a HUGE difference. I love your choices too! I'm heading over for your suggestion inspiration.