Sunday, March 1, 2009

It’s Snowing!





EDIT:
10:00 AM - It's really coming down now! Just took 2 more pics (above) and it's a blizzard out there, cold and wet and snowy. Glad we're inside!

Look what we woke up to this morning! I heard about the possibility of snow coming our way on Saturday, but really didn’t think much about it. But, when we woke up this morning and looked out the window, here’s what we saw….IMG_4299


IMG_4298


IMG_4303

Our neighbor must have left to get milk and bread. That’s the joke in the South when snow starts falling. The stores get over run with folks buying all the milk and bread they can get. It’s still coming down and the streets are starting to get more covered now, so we’re not going anywhere today. IMG_4300

I love snow days!

IMG_4302


IMG_4296


IMG_4305

We’ll snuggle down in our warm and cozy house and enjoy the day, since we don’t often get days like this. Now I know compared to the North, this snow is nothing, but we can’t help but get a little giddy when we see those flakes falling!

Have a Blessed Sunday!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

66 friends stopped by:

Tonja said...

That is absolutly beautiful! I live in West Texas and it is supposed to be in the 60's today and 90 by Tuesday. I *love* the snow and we never seem to get any around here. Except the past 2 years it has snowed on Easter...lol I hope you enjoy your cold weather and snowy scenery!
Hopefully we will get atleast one snow this season!?!?

Anonymous said...

Wow, how beautiful! Our forcast here in Macon was for the possibility of snow but we just have lots of rain today. Enjoy!

susan said...

We are covered in snow too and yes, I know what you mean about the grocery rush! Stay off the roads--We Southerners don't know how to drive in this! Thanks for the pictures. Stay warm-Susan

Anonymous said...

That must be true about the bread & milk - that's the exact same thing that Picket said in her post. The snow is beautiful if you don't have to go out in it. We here in Illinois are ready for Spring.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Girl you know this post made me laugh.....I'm a northern gal so that lil bit of snow is nothing! lol. Bread & milk is the standard in snow storms up here too.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Wow, so pretty...it's really coming down! (This comment brought to you by a gal from Orange County, CA - ha!)

Steph said...

Awww! Lucky you! We are "may" get some here where I am in SC, but I'm not holding my breath! I don't even care if it sticks, I would just love to see it coming down!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirley said...

I'm waiting for the snow to start here. We just got back from Florida last night. It was 76 degrees when we left. Grrrr....

Karen said...

I LOVE IT! I wish we could get it just a few times! But . . . not to be when you live near LA. It's supposed to be over 80 here today. :(
Great pictures! Karen

Rochelle said...

It sure is pretty when it happens only once a year....try the last 4 months! :) Our last snowfall is finally melting...I am sure ready for spring time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

Your yard looks just like a Christmas card! But you sure are right about up north being much different. In some parts of Canada, the snow's up to our knees, so that makes walking around about the last thing you want to do.

How often does it snow in Alabama? My cousins from Texas claim they've never had any in El Paso (They were pretty thrilled to shovel our driveway!!)

Enjoy being inside!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hasn't hit us here yet! We are waiting...
~Misti

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful photos. Looks the same here. It started snowing yesterday afternoon & still coming down late last night. We got about 7 in. I think. The stores were a zoo yesterday I am sure - I don't drink milk and already had bread. :) People can't drive in it here either. I will post pics. later I hope.
Glenda

Twice as Nice said...

A blizzard? LOL We call the kind of snow you're getting PURDY. If the sun comes out it may be gone by noon! We too stock up when the snow is coming but it has to be atleast 6 inches and with ice or wind. Funny how things are different when you're not use to getting snow. Either way it can be a beautiful sight.Enjoy!!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Snowing down here too and we are loving it! This is the first real snow we have had in 5 years! So it is a welcome sight. In fact, I have been praying for a little snow since before Christmas. I wanted my grandaughter to have a chance to play in it and experience it. So my prayers have been answered.
Tornados yesterday and snow today. Such is the weather down here in the south.
Enjoy this rare occassion. we are also staying home and enjoying it. I think I'll make a big it of soup. :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jo, we usually get snow maybe once a year. Last year, we had 2 little flurries that were melted in 1/2 a day, but this one looks like it will be around for a couple at least. It really is piling up more out there as it's still coming down pretty heavy.

I just ran out & measured with my yardstick & it's a good 4" in my flower beds. I know, not a lot compared to you Northern girls, but it's quite a bit for us. It's really cold out there too, so it probably won't be melting anytime soon. This one is different than the quickies we had last year.

Glad we have our power on! Now that would be bad.

Sue said...

Hi Sweet's, Wow you snow looks so fresh and clean....So glad you are getting to snuggle up today and enjoy all its glory.
I love your new blog layout and your new dining room. Yesterday I spent a long time going through the pictures of your beautiful home. What a great way to get all your pictures in one place. Your blog designer really helped out your fans. We get to see all your projects and decor with the click of the mouse. Well, anyway I spent so much time looking around that I didn't have the time to leave you a comment. I've been in a bit of a blog slump for a bit now but am confident that the blogging bug will bite me again soon.
Congrat's on all your cool blog achievements of late. I so enjoy following you around blog land my friend.
Hugs,
Sue

Judy said...

Shane called about 10:30 and said it was really coming down there (B'ham)....it's snowing here too but slowed down a lot and now almost melted. David went to WM in my car and my camera is the car so no pics!!!

The DR project is on hold until Monday morning as we've decided to paint the ceilings too! I'll e-mail you later about a question I have about drapes in there.

Until then....
Judy

Love Being A Nonny said...

Where are you? I am in NC waiting on the snow!

conoil@yahoo.com

angela

Tracy said...

Enjoy the snow while you can, here in West Alabama everything was covered with snow, looked like your pictures, now that the sun has came out the snow has almost all completely gone, It was pretty while it lasted though, we enjoyed getting out in it early this morning.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Rhoda you all did get some snow! They were saying we also had a chance of it but if it did snow during the night we didn't know anything about it. We had rain so it wouldn't stick if we'd gotten it.
Congrats on your snowy day! LOL

Justabeachkat said...

Brrrrr....but so beautiful!

Stay snuggled in. I hope you have more of that potato soup. I'm gonna give it a try.

Hugs!
Kat

Stacey said...

You and Dot are on the same page today! Enjoy your rare snow day.

Joanna said...

It's beautiful! Oh how I love snow and miss it so much. It's freezing here in the panhandle today. Yesterday we were enjoying 75 degree weather wearing our capris and shorts, today we are freezing with temps in the 40's with the windchill in the 30's. It feels like snowy weather, we just won't see any this far south.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda! I thought I was on the wrong blog for a minute! Girl, you flat out got some snow! It's beautiful! Mr. Magpie said it was cold outside this AM, but you really are cold in Bama! Thanks for these gorgeous pictures. Enjoy the snow, too! :-)

XO,

Sheila... who was going to plant pansies today, but is thinking of maybe not.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

We're waiting for it to get here. I would love to be able to stay home from work tomorrow. ;-)

We've Got Scents said...

So beautiful, thanks so much for sharing the pictures! My sister called from Columbus, MS this morning and she was 'giddy' about the winter wonderland she awoke to this AM:)
My FIL tried to call you Friday, sorry he missed you.
Take care, enjoy the beauty of the snow, blessings always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Jenna said...

Congratulations on the snow day. My kids are posted by the window & hoping for an inch this afternoon. Exciting times for us.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

It snowed here in Arkansas yesterday, but it didn't stick to the ground. We haven't gotten any snow to stick all winter. Usually we get some at least once during the winter. I miss it, I love snow days too! It's so pretty!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're excited, if I saw that out my window this morning I would have cried tears of frustration! I'm ready for spring!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart Rhoda,

We are getting ready for round 2, right now we are hunkered down too, just a couple inches expected today, tomorrow we should hve 15" on the ground, this has been a BEAR of a Winter, but it really is sooo pretty if you have no place to be !!!

We call them panic shoppers up here and you should have seen the crowd out last night @ the grocery store YIKES !!!!

I thought of you last night :) hubby gave me a Keurig coffee machine for Xmas, well our "junk/thrift" store up here called Bldg. 19 had the K cups on sale for 2.99/bx orig. 10.99/13.99/bx so while in there getting them I spied a mirror marked down to 19.99 from 60.00 I have been looking for a mirror for a hallway, I am in LOVE with it...I just had to share with you LOL

You and Pete should go out and make a snowman...have fun and stay warm !!!

All the best,
Kathy :)

ps your blog looks nice !!

Janice said...

Hi Rhoda -

Looks like you got just the right amount....

Here in Maryland everyone runs for milk & toilet paper !!!

LOVE the new look of your blog !!!

hugs - janice

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh Rhoda, I'm sooo glad you that received my present sent from the north!! :) LOL

Enjoy it!

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! We're in NC right now! I think we might try to head home before snow gets here. Love the photos!
-Kim

Helen said...

I must say it looks beautiful .. but I am ready for Spring out here in Central Oregon and the high desert. However, my daughter and grandchildren are skiing about 30 minutes from our home today so I suppose they want the mountain snow to continue.

Kathi said...

I woke up to the same surprise! It was so pretty and so cold!
I went out and took lots of photos. My kids made a little snowman too.
Glad I took photos because the sun is shining now and the snow is almost GONE!

springrose said...

If we have cold weather I feel like it is a waste if there is no rain or snow with it!! It looks beautiful! Enjoy it while you have it!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! SNOW SNOW SNOW is all we have had this winter! More then our usual amount! We have had a few days without snow and we got to see the grass. Yeah!
Your pictures are pretty. It is pretty when it has just fallen. Have fun! Nancy from OHIO

Lori said...

That snow's making me giddy too even though it won't snow down here. Everything will be come alive and renew come springtime. Nice time to cuddle up!!

Rebecca said...

I'm in the south too, and we also squeal with delight at the mention of snow! hee hee

Ours started in the early morning hours and by the time we awoke, we had 5 inches!! I've posted pictures on my blog as well.

Anyway, stay warm and cozy!

Back Porch Blessings,
Rebecca

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Well, it's not lasting too long, the sun is already out & it's 1/2 melted. That's the way it is in the South this time of year, the weather can turn so quickly. It was fun to see while it lasted. I think the roads are fine, so we'll go to the 6 pm service at church tonight.

It was fun staying in my PJ's all day. :)

Kathy, thanks for telling me about your deals. Those sound great. I love those coffee makers, they are so neat.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I can't believe all the Southern ladies are getting snow! We're waiting for some tonight...Just in time for my morning commute...Ahhh...:-)

Enjoy your snow day!

Kelly B said...

I live up in Decatur and we got about 3 inches of snow. It is all melted now, but my kids sure had a lot of fun this morning!! :)

Lana said...

That looks so beautiful. It was 99degrees here a couple of days ago. I can't even imagine the joy of snow. Thanks for sharing your treasure!

Ana Balbinot said...

I love your blog, Rhoda!
I post your pictures from Seaside at my blog, and linked to yours.
Hope you like! Have a wonderful sunday!

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...if you hadn't included photos of snow in B'ham, I might not have believed it...LOL
Enjoy every beautiful flake! I'm off to check your tater soup recipe.... ;-)Bo

Anonymous said...

I just read on cnn.com that B'ham got snow so I rushed here to see if you had pics! LOL

I have relatives in Greenville, SC and the whole town basically shuts down when it snows because they don't have equipment to deal with it. I live in the north and we're used to hundreds of inches of it. Not that we like it, but we're used to it! I'm glad this blizzard will miss us.

Thanks for posting the pics.

the voice of melody said...

I love to see the beautiful snow, thank you for sharing the pictures. It *almost* makes me wish there was snow outside my window. :)

Maureen said...

We awoke to a similar picture this AM, but it was gone this evening... I understand more is on the way. Your pictures are beautiful.

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Hi Rhoda, wasn't it beautiful? It's been so long since we saw the wonderful white stuff!! I just posted some of the photos we took this morning, too! If only it had lasted just a little longer, huh? Blessings, Robin!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

woo-hoo! I can just feel your happy excitement! It all looks so pretty, too. Enjoy it with a smile, dear Rhoda!

Our Complete Family said...

So glad you had a snow day to stay in in pjs and veg out! Those are truly the best days ever!!!
I love your new blog look. It is darling!
Happy week ahead~ Les

Anonymous said...

Just found your beautiful blog. your pictures are so lovely. And to think that I posted about a coat that I probably can't wear because it is too warm.... I live in Southern Calif.

Warm Wishes,
Karen Eileen

Anonymous said...

Here too, we received a foot of snow in Memphis yesterday... very unusual! We all went sledding this afternoon, think it was my first time ever:)

. said...

You inspired me! I followed your Bathroom Mirror project and remodeled my bathroom. I linked over to your blog and your post about your mirror. I hope that is okay. You can see my mirror here: http://laceysapplesauce.blogspot.com/2009/03/bathroom-remodel.html

Thanks again for your great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

g'day Rhoda

I'm catching up with you here, had a very very busy week, love the new look, very you

I'm so jealous of the snow, one thing I really really miss is those days, I guess I just have to put up with sun and the beach *wink

I'm saving that soup for winter, a few months to go until we are a bit cooler and into soup

Sarah

Omah's Helping Hands said...

That sure looks pretty. I love the snow most of the time. That is some really wet stuff though. That can make for a sloppy mess. Makes for a great day of staying home and snuggling with the hubby though. ;)

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Very beautiful! I'll admit that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I looked out and saw that. There's a reason I live in Central Texas. ;)

Linda Merrill said...

I guess the milk and bread thing is universal when snow is coming. A friend refers to it up here as "Yankee Milk Fever".

Catherine said...

Wasn't the snow wonderful?!! Our church cancelled services. I drove around and got some pix. They're on my blog. Hope we get some more!

Jill said...

We enjoyed our "snow day" in Atlanta, too. And once again I won MOM OF THE YEAR 'cause I had no boots or gloves/mittens for my little boy. *ugh*

Rachel said...

Great pictures, Rhoda! Wasn't the snow wonderful? We thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I always love it when I run into another B'ham blogger!!! I'll be keeping in touch. . .

Always a Southern Girl said...

We run out and get milk and bread here in Chicago too! It must just be one of those things. Can't not have that milk and bread. Just in case! lol

cotedetexas said...

I am so jealous!!!! never ever ever had we had anything like this! Please God =just once!!!!!

Amber Schmidt said...

That's so funny... milk and bread. And OH so true! The last snow we had I went to Kroger and the bread shelves were VACANT! I was like... seriously? I have never actually seen us get so much snow that you cannot leave your house!

Ah... it was good for a laugh at least!