Sunday, March 15, 2009

Joe’s Italian Restaurant

IMG_4386

My friend, Sandi from Whistlestop Cafe Cooking, introduced me to a great little Italian restaurant in her neck of the woods, so Peter and I checked it out with Sandi and her hubby one night not too long ago. And we’ve been hooked ever since. If you live in Birmingham, it would definitely be worth your while to check out Joe’s. Joe is originally from Sicily (with the thick accent to prove it!) and owned and operated a restaurant out in Gilroy, CA for many years before moving to Birmingham last year to be near his children. They talked him into opening this small family-owned and run restaurant in a residential area of Pelham/Alabaster and it is truly fantastic.

IMG_4387

Not a huge place, if you go on Friday or Saturday night, be prepared to wait for a table. The food is cooked by the mama (homemade pasta and pizza) and Joe will greet you at the door. Their son and daughters are also on hand cooking and taking care of things.

IMG_4388

Joe makes homemade tiramisu and it is just to die for and they offer many other homemade desserts made by the mama herself. You will not leave this place hungry or disappointed. They are at 21 Weatherly Club Drive in Alabaster on Hwy. 11.

IMG_4389

We’ve told all our friends about Joe’s and I hope you’ll try it too if you live in Birmingham!

Mangia Mangia!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

31 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, we're always looking for
new places to try out.Our daughter
and son in law went to Italy this
winter and it would be fun to
take them to an authentic Italian
place right here in B'ham!

OldBagNewTricks said...

Oh, I could use a little Italy this time of year. Looks like a road trip!

Yum,
Jenny

Unknown said...

YUMMMMM...it's only 10:20 AM but I'm drooling! I LOVE Italian food and this place looks wonderful. Wahhh...I wish I were closer to Birmingham! Enjoy some good Italian food for ME!

Runner Mom said...

I think I'll try a little bit of all of the desserts!! Yum!!
Hugs,
Susan

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Now the secret is out!
We were just there last week, and we had to wait for a table. Joe and Nonna are precious. It is almost as good as Italy~~ almost!

Kathi said...

YUM! It all looks so good! Thanks for sharing the details. I'll have to go Italian very soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda I love Italian food my Mother is Italian, we have so many great places in the North End in Boston....and oh my Tiramisu is one of my faves....nothing like good Italian food !!!

Wish I lived closer would love to try it..

Have a nice Sunday,
Kathy :)

ocean mommy said...

Oh my. I think I just gained 10 pounds looking at the pictures!!! Sounds heavenly!!

Hope your Sunday is wonderful!
Stephanie

Amber Filkins said...

Mmmmmmm, sounds good! I love the look of the restaurant. It looks like a home kitchen with an audience.

I live NO WHERE near Birmingham, but I wish I would have known about him when he lived in Gilroy! The garlic capital of the world is only a couple hours from me + it's on the way to IKEA!!! :)

Lisa said...

It all looks delicious! Next time I'm on my way to Destin think I'll make a little detour!

Unknown said...

I gained 5 lbs. just looking at all that delicious food! Too bad it's clear across the country from me. :(

C. C. said...

That restaraunt looks fabulous! Do you think they would deliver to New Mexico?

I love your blog - very inspirational!

C. C.

Victoria Hayden said...

How yummy this food looks!! I too live in New Mexico and wished I lived closer to try this! I will have to put it on my list of "must try" if I ever am in your area!! Thank you for sharing...and making me hugary. I better go eat some lunch. :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Wish I had a little of that today.... after church we had popeyes...not so yum~

cherry said...

YUMMMM Italian is my fave! I love your finds from last week ms. Rhoda! cherry

Unknown said...

I sure wish I could try that, but the closest we're going to get today is Italian Tortellini soup! :)

Anonymous said...

Drooling at the pastry case... the limoncello cake looks divine...I'll have to visit next time we're down.

Lori said...

I LOVE Italian food. Wish I lived closer! If you have time, I would love to get your opinion on my last post-I am trying to decide what to do with my range hood. You have such amazing taste, I would really appreciate your vote!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh how neat if you live near Birmingham. I think Az. is just a little too far, but I know I would love it. Hugs, Marty

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Okay, I could totally eat an entire cheesecake right now. I'm drooling!
~Misti

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! Wish I lived close enough to try it. :(

Heathahlee said...

We are planning a trip to Birmingham in the future and will certainly try to eat here! I LOVE Lobster Ravioli! Mmmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

We LOVE Joe's. The place makes me smile. Actually, one day, I went to get a gift card for a friend and Momma was asleep on the big fluffy couch. I loved it. Their pizza is amazing!

KarenB said...

btw, I love the new look of your blog.

Kristi said...

First of all...Hello! My name is Kris and I read your blog quite often. I love it! I HAD to comment on this post though! I do not live near Birmingham...I live in Northwest Arkansas, but we have a Joe's Italian as well! It sounds a whole lot like the one you visited! Ours is really good too! That is so odd! :)

KM Studios said...

mmmm..reading Joes menue board makes my mouth water!!

As an Italian family; it is taboo for us to go out and eat Italian food..
however, Joes sounds like the real thing...good to see that there are still a few "Knock-em Out of the park" Italian restaurants out there.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your blog...this restaurant sounds wonderful. I sure wish I knew of a similar one in Houston.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Save a spot at the table for me!!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, We ate at Joe's Saturday night and didn't realize until I was back at home that I was sitting at the table next to you! I enjoyed the food so much. The dipping sauce for the bread made the trip worth it! I enjoy your blog and am glad that I got to see you, even if I didn't know it was you at the time!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Anon! I wish now you would have left your name so I would know who you are. Yes! We were there with our friends & enjoyed it all once again. Isn't it the best? Lots of others feel the same way from the crowds & wait. Now I'm trying to figure out where YOU were sitting! Come back to see me.

Rachel said...

I LOVE Joe's! We live very nearby and eat there regularly. I wish they would expand, however, the food is always worth the wait!