Monday, March 16, 2009

New Treasure: Corner Cabinet

Corner Cabinet2

After seeing that cute corner cabinet at the other antique mall that Grandma and I visited, I was determined to see what else was out there before I made a decision. So, a quick jaunt through the Chelsea Antique mall uncovered this gem, all the way in the back of the store, hidden away in a corner. The perfect corner cabinet for my kitchen. It’s the right size and I love the simplicity of it, especially the glass-front doors which will be perfect to display more of my dish collection.

Corner Cabinet

So, I’m painting it creamy white (working on it today). It’s not a fine piece of furniture, but very sturdy and it’s all wood (maybe some plywood in there, but still very solid). Not particularly pretty the color it is currently, I think it will be a standout when I paint it.

Glass Front Cabinet

This little gem was $125, not a bad price for such a big piece and I measured the space to be sure it would fit. You should have seen me and my neighbor hauling it home in her little SUV, with 10” of it hanging out the back. I sat back there with it holding on for dear life in case it decided to slide on out. You do what you gotta do to get these things home!

Cabinet at home

So, now it’s home and waiting to be loved on with a fresh coat of paint. Another project to get my hands dirty with, there’s a big smile on my face with the anticipation of making this lovely into a pretty little treasure. Funny how the lighting changes the color so much from the store to home.

Primed

Here it is after a coat of primer.

Paint

One coat of creamy white latex paint in eggshell. I’m using the same color paint as my dining room walls. I love to reuse paint for something else. These tiny foam rollers are the best thing to use on furniture in my experience. I’m loving this piece and really happy with the deal I got on it.

Corner cabinet painted

After one coat of paint. One more coat of paint to go and then I think I need to paint the back walls a different color. Picture creamy white with….what color? You know my walls are olive green. I was thinking either a brighter lime green or even some scrapbook paper would do the trick too. I’ve got red and black accents in the kitchen, but I’m really not sure what color? Lime green? Red? Maybe a black and white paper? Here’s my kitchen fabric:

TureenGardenCrimson

Got some ideas? Throw them at me! Let’s fix this little cutie up into something really special. I've got to figure out how to get some lights inside where the glass doors are. I think I can put some tiny holes in the backing and maybe add some of those halogen puck lights.

Anyone else using Blogger having problems with Scheduled Posts? I always schedule my posts in advance and that feature has not worked since Saturday. I checked Blogger Help and several others are having the same problem, just thought I'd ask ya'll too.

Don't forget the Spring Fluffing party coming up Wednesday (click on the button for more info). I've got to get busy and do something cute to my foyer table! Hope you'll all join in the fun and show off your spring finery.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

89 friends stopped by:

Becky K. said...

I just had to chuckle at your description of getting it home. Poor Chelsea has ended up riding in the most uncomfortable positions when Mom or I have found some treasure unexpectedly and then have to get it home...

It is very pretty. I am glad for that hint on the foam rollers. I have not used them in years.

I say paint the inside whatever color you love and then you'll always have the option of putting scrapbook paper in to change the look later.


Becky K.

Unknown said...

Haven't we all suffered an uncomfortable ride home hanging on to a fantastic find for dear life?! How funny.
I think your cabinet would look great with a black and white pattern, maybe Harlequin? I guess it depends what dishes you plan to display. If they're all white, then a solid green would be beautiful. If you plan to display your beautiful green dishes, then a complimentary color would be great. Maybe Harlequin would be too busy and compete with the detail on the dishes? Oh, good grief, why am I trying to advise YOU?? :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh What a great cabinet. I can't wait to see it all finished and dressed with all the gorgeous didshes. Hugs, Marty

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Love the corner cabinet...it looks great painted. I have been having scheduling problems...I thought it was because I had started using Windows Live Writer to write/edit my posts.

Renee

Anonymous said...

Wonderful piece! Im thinking green??? As far as blogger,I did have a problem with it being posted the other day. My new post early this morning worked just fine. Good luck with everything~ Have a great day~

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda!
I have a corner hutch very similar. I painted the backsplash blue... Love it!

~Liz

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
I think black and white would be beautiful although I love Miz Susie's idea of green too. I know whatever you decide it's going to be lovely because you have such equisite taste *smiles*

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Here's an idea:
Instead of actually painting the back of the cabinet, cut rigid foamcore to fit. Then you can paint, paper or cover the foamcore. You can change it out easily depending on your whim or season.

Heathahlee said...

As soon as I saw it I thought, "I hope she paints it white!" : )

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the back!

Stacey said...

Rhoda, your cabinet will be perfect I'm sure. I can't wait to see what you do put in the back. Go to Hobby Lobby and get some of those cute knobs ...or maybe some of the Sknobs that Studio M has!!

I always swoon over your fabric. It's adorable.

Willoughby said...

I love the cabinet, it's very pretty. I agree with Karen, using foamcore would be a great way to change the look when the mood strikes. I've done the same thing using sturdy cardboard. I also use that technique to line drawers.

Missy Wertz said...

I would probably paint it green or blue, but I am on a green and blue kick right now. Probably not what you want.

The weekend we were supposed to go to B'ham flea market, I went to the Bama Antique Mall and Flea Market to get my 'fix'. Did not find the 'deal' I have found in the past. Did pick up some linens though. All the pretty chandi's I posted on my blog last Oct and nov are gone except for the one that is displayed underneath the taxidermy and the new 'looking' one that you can get cheaper new online.

Natalie said...

It's beautiful! I have a piece just like this in my dining room that I bought at an antiques auction. I paid a little more, but it was in pristine condition (so I was able to justify it a little better!!)

I am cracking up at imagining you in the back of the SUV holding on to the piece of furniture!! Now what would you have done had it started sliding out!!?!?

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love the cabinet! It's exactly what I need for my dining room. I love the foam rollers too and the brushes. They work so well.

Katie said...

I love this!! Where did you get that fabric with the bunnies I love that!

The Bramble Patch said...

Love the cabinet! Glad that you gave it a home. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I have had a problem with Blogger deleting my followers and deleting me from following others! (horrified look here). I talked to one gal and she said that Blogger dropped 10 of her followers!

Joanna said...

The cabinet looks great! Love that you reused paint...I did the same with a bathroom makeover I just finished up. Foam rollers are the best! Especially on cabinets.

I would go with scrapbook paper, something black and white, but that is me...

Blogger, I had problems with my scheduled post this morning. It was scheduled for 7, it's after 8 and it never posted, I had to go in and change the date to early this morning to get it to work. I hope it gets fixed soon, I have tomorrow's post set as well.

rustycupboard said...

I love the cabinet I have two of them. I think I paid $80 for one and $100 for the other. But I never thought of putting a different color inside. Will check yours out and decide about mine.

Anonymous said...

Great shopping.... you have the eye for beauties... btw..is the napoli granite actually called giallo napoleone granite (what I am considering)?

Unknown said...

I just painted my china cabinet a great spring green. I bet that would look wonderful with that fabric. Not too sure about the olive, though.

I finally finished my chairs, stop by and see them!

Anonymous said...

We've found some of the best things in the dusty dark corners of antique shops. I love looking in the back rooms to see what I can find. That's how I found the chairs that sit around the table on the back porch. I had to climb over a thing or two, to get to them!!

I like the idea of doing the foam core and fabric or paint.

I'm rushing through blogland, this morning. We're leaving for the lake in a few minutes.

I had trouble with blogger a couple of weeks ago, when I scheduled my Met Monday post, to publish on Sunday and it posted immediately on Thursday. Aggravating!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, I'm flying like a crazy woman this morning, but I would paper the back. That way you can change it as the mood suits you. I would do a cute check to go with your fabric. A lot depends on what color dishes you are putting in there. It would be cute with a black and green check or a red and white check. I would also like to see it painted green. White dishes? Then a black and cream check would work. You got a good deal on that piece. Can't wait to see...

XO,

Sheila :-)

AverettLadyNana said...

My husband's aunt, has white/creamy painted corner cabinets. One she has painted the background a reddish shade and the other a blueish shade and both are beautiful. She had the red transferwear china mainly in one and blue transferware in the other one and also has white creamware in both. Both cornercabinets with their contents are super pretty.

In the first picture I noticed behind to the left of corner cabinet a china cabinet like one I got from my grandmother...has matching sideboard and corner cabinet. I have cut glass in the corner cabinet. I want to do something to the interior back to make the cutglass stand out but haven't found the right color yet.

julie & joe said...

Such a cute cabinet! I love corner cabinets.
I bought a chest of drawers in college that I knew I couldn't haul to my rented room so I called my uncle and he picked it up on his way home from work and hauled it across town for me. I'm really bad about getting something too large for my vehicle to haul.

AverettLadyNana said...

Forgot to say I think the background color in the fabric would be pretty.

Linda Merrill said...

What a great find! I like the foam core idea - how about covered in a red and cream or beige check?

Lindy said...

I have a very similar cabinet that a family member gave me. It is still in my garage awaiting paint! You have just given me the inspiration to paint it. Thank you! I just discovered the foam rollers last weekend and I love them for painting doors and cabinets. Thank you for your wonderful blog, it gives me lots of great ideas!

Cindy said...

Rhoda, I can't wait to see what you new piece of furniture will look like when you are done. I have an armor with the same look of wood and the top looks the same with the stripes in the wood. I was thinking of painting it white, also. I am convinced now!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Hugs ~cindy s~

Anonymous said...

Adorable...you know I love a corner cabinet...(you have a pic of mine) I like the idea of using paper, I think it was the Nester that started that trend in blogland, then you could change things up.

Whatever you do I know it will be smashing....

Have a great day,
Kathy :)

ps YES I had trouble with the scheduled posts on our family blog !!!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

I love the cabinet. My father gave me one when I got married that he made when he was in high school. I believe I would paint the back a solid color so the print on the paper would not compete with the pattern of your dishes if you choose to put a print in there. As for the color, I believe the olive would be wonderful.

Darlene said...

I absolutely LOVE that corner cabinet. I would love to find something like that for my kitchen. I think it would work so much better than my large china cabinet cause my kitchen is small. I can't wait to see it when you have it finished and in place....beautiful!

Weird about the scheduled posts. I did one yesterday and scheduled it for this morning and it was up and running right on time.

Tiffany said...

Very pretty! I think scrapbook paper is the way to go, but I honestly don't know what color. The good thing is that you can easily change it out when you get tired of it!

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

On the backround choice, it really depends on the color of the dishes you're going to put in there. I think a tiny black and whotte polka dot print would be darling, and it would probably go with just about anything. Have fun creating, can't wait to see the result!
thecozychickadee.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda me again. We did lose our cat but them on Friday morning someone hit my Yorkie..Drake. Ugh! Its gotta get better soon~

Sandi McBride said...

A really pale pink with a mother of pearl finish would be gorgeous on that back wall...love the cabinet, now I know what I want!
Sandi

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

That is so cute!!

My hubby has a fit if I try to paint wood furniture. Ugh.

Great job Miss Rhoda!

(oh, and my scheduled posts have been working fine. ??)

Deserae said...

Ohhhhh what a fabulous treasure you found! So worth that bumpy ride all the way home!!! I love it in it's fresh new white color...it is going to look a amazing in your kitchen :o)I can hardly wait to see the end result!!!!!!!
~Des

Victoria Hayden said...

Hi Rhoda! I agree with the comment you left on my blog...you are a women after my own heart! I love painted wood! I can't wait to see it complete! If you are putting your green dishes in the cabinet I think a stripe with any of the colors in your fabric would be fun and look great behind it! Looking forward to seeing your finished cabinet!!

~Victoria~

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I think it would look awesome with some pretty crystal knobs! I found some very inexpensively on ebay. Can't wait to see it finished.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What a find - it looks great white!

Aubrey said...

I like the idea of a brighter green or covering it with pretty scrapbook paper--especially if you paint it green and find out you don't like it as much as you thought. Eddie Ross always has fabulous ideas for cabinet interiors--maybe he'll leave his opinion. :)

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

hey, I do plan on posting Wed. and joining your spring party. I do not have a clue how to do Mr. linky...I am computor challanged. Can you do it for me?

Bonita said...

I love those corner cabinets. My sister found one for $5 at a yard sale years ago and I've been looking for one ever since.

I have not ideas for what color to paint the back walls, but I'm excited to see what you end up doing because I know it will be beautiful.

Yes, I'm having trouble with scheduled posts as well. My scheduled posts aren't posting.

Bonita said...

That should say "sister-in-law". I'm an only child so I don't have a sister.

KM Studios said...

You'r right..the color changed just getting it home..i can see in the pictures.

Love the creamy white by the way..thinking of your kitchen i would do the back walls of that piece in a red & yellow..you already have plenty of green on the walls and its realy an accent piece..whatever you do I know it will fantastic!
What a lucky piece of furniture to go home to Rhodas house...lolol

I'll be back soon for the fluffing party!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love your corner cabinet! It is going to be wonderful when finished. I added fabric to the back of my hutches. My husband cut out cardboard to fit and I wrapped the fabric around the cardboard and used duct tape to adhere it. Then just set it inside the cabinet. That way, I can change out the fabric anytime. You could even use your the fabric you already have in your kitchen or a coordinating pattern!
Hugs,
Penny

Erin said...

Don't you love it when you find that perfect piece? I vote for a little bit brighter green, not quite lime, but something in your fabric.

Anonymous said...

Lovely cabinet...I would pick one of the yellow/goldish tones in the critters on your fabric for the back. A little unexpected punch :-)

Dianne said...

I LOVE painted furniture..Whenever I find a used piece, it's not where can I use this? It's what color can I paint it?

Runner Mom said...

Too cute! I can just imagine you and your friend going home with the cabinet hanging out the car!! What fun!

Here's my 2 cents worth. Can you take that darlin' bunny fabric and use that as the background in the cabinet? It goes with your other stuff and the walls! You could velcro it on rather than glue gun.

Can't wait to see it!
Hugs,
Susan

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Oh that is coming along great! It is looking beautiful! I love the idea of green, that sounds so pretty.
~Michelle

queenbee said...

Nice piece of furniture. I would have loved to see you holding on to her for dear life in the back of an suv, but hey you got it home in one piece. If you get the chance stop by and take a look at my Spring Wreath.

Sofia Striffler said...

I love it painted the creamy white. As for the other color. Isn't there green in your kitchen. Are you keeping the green if so than use that color. If you going more reddish than pain the inside the reddish color. Whatever you do it will look beautiful.

As for blogger details I haven't had a problem but I am really new at this. How do you keep people coming back to visit you.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

I love your cabinet and can't wait to see the end result. I know you will pick a great background. I am not a good one to give decorating advise, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, yep a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to get her treasures home! Even if she has to carry them on her back! Gotta love it! LOL

I think the green would be pretty in there but it depends on what colors the dishes are going to be to I guess. You know a real tiny green gingham check paper would look cute in there to.

Whatever you do I know it will be perfect because you always do such pretty work!

Congrats on your find! It IS really neat and totally amazing at the change of color after you got it home in some better light. I'm really not wild about dark colored furniture though and so happy that you are painting it. I painted my filing cabinet the same color as the wall in my office/sewing room to and it really blends in good in here.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls! Thanks for stopping by to see my new little treaure. I had an epiphany today & decided to line the back of the shelves with burlap. I already bought it at Hobby Lobby! You can't beat the price at $4 and I'm going to wrap some thin pieces of luan I have stashed, so it should work out just right. I think I'll do a little stenciling on the burlap. I thought the texture would look pretty awesome on this piece!

Stay tuned for the final hopefully next week!

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda...love the corner cabinet!
I'm still thinking about your trip to Leeds, we looked it up on the map and when I go to NC in a few weeks I plan to check it out!
Carol

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Hi Rhoda! I think you ought to paint the back a green in the olive family, then switch out the nobs to match your cabinetry. : ) Good for you for finding such a great deal!

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

Hey Rhoda-

Love the cabinet and the redo. Have you ever been to Consigning Interiors in Pelham? It sits on Hwy.31 They have a huge selection of Antiques and things that have already been refurbished. I have found some great items for even better prices. I bought a small antique desk there for my son's room and I will have to redo it so that it flows with the other furniture. When I do I will post before and afters on my blog. Loved your 5 tips to changing a room. You inspired me about my rug how it shouldn't float in the room so I changed it and wound up moving the furniture around and now love new setup.....Thanks Rhoda!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Rhoda I have a question for you. I remember seeing an urn you fixed the handle on. The handle was broken and I can't remember what it was you used to fix it with. Was it plaster of paris? I have this small teacup fountain and one of the little handles on the teacups is broken. I wanted to try and fix it because now that I see it's broken it's driving me crazy. I didn't notice it when I bought it. lol

mah said...

Cute! I would paint it with black checks, lightly sanded to look aged, colored glass knobs. My thought, now you go for it and it will be beautiful!! Mary Ann, p.s. hurry with that kitchen, I am dying here waiting for the faucet and sink choice. Ha!

Terri said...

That's a great piece of furniture for that price, Rhoda. Everytime I see pictures of your rug, it reminds me of mine. It's not the same but very very similar. Could I ask you the color you have on the walls? I'm trying to choose a color for my family room now and am wanting to go more brown than gold. I like the neutral quality of your color. Have a great night!

Cindy said...

I got so excited seeing that painted white! Wow, what a difference already! I can't wait to see what you do on the inside!

Kathi said...

I like your idea of using burlap in you "new" cabinet. Nice texture and won't compete with your dishes. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you're finished! You didn't happen to see a bird cage in your travels, did you?

susan said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this piece. How about green toile wallpaper in the back?

Susie Q said...

It looks really fabulous Rhoda! And with a cute paper...something green or black maybe? Sweet pattern, like a toile?? I know whatever you choose will be perfect! Your taste is always perfect!
Love,
Sue

Sofia Striffler said...

Thanks for visiting me and the words of encouragement. I'll be patient

Laura said...

What a great cabinet. I want the hutch behind it in your first photo.

Laura
www.whitespraypaint.blogspot.com

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, I can't wait to see what you decide to do. You always have such fantastic ideas that I know this will be another winner. I have painted a lot of things black, but now I sure am loving that white! Linda

Anonymous said...

I have a similar colored one in my kitchen that I painted lime green. I think the color is Pina Colada Valspar Signature from Lowes. It looks really cute with the creamy colored exterior. I could also see white and black stripe paper on the inside. Can't wait to see what you decide to do :)

-Hayley

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

What about a green toile wallpaper? I think toile would look so pretty in that!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda,

I just love it! It is gorgeous! And I love it painted. Such charm. AS far as color....your walls are olive....go to the opposite side of the color wheel and use the best complimenting color...eggplant purple. That would be gorgeous. A deep deep purple. But really, anything would be lovely. A dark red, crimpson (red with purple in it) would be equally as pretty.Good luck!

Allidink said...

That is such a cool find. It looks great now. I think if you painted it red then there might be too much red. Green would look great.

All the best,
Allison

Every Day Blessings said...

I love this piece. I especially love the glass doors. I think the background should be some sort of green. I am sure you will make an adorable choice, I can't wait to see!
thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My Mom has a station wagon and knows how to use it. You would be amazed at the large and heavy objects that 73 year old 103lb woman has hauled for herself and others.
I think the cabinet would look nice with mirrors instead of paint on the interior. Reflect the pretty items on display.

Jenny said...

I love it. The first thing I thought of was a black/white check or gingham paper background.

Do you sand when you paint furniture? If so, before priming, after or both?

Anonymous said...

yellow

Connie said...

Hi Rhoda...looks like you're having a ton of fun! BUT are you painting in your living room???? Can't wait to see the finished piece. Connie

jessiev said...

Oh the trips home after finding a large piece...the ride in the back of the suv....it's all too familiar. It looks soooo pretty that creamy white color. I like the burlap idea...but I also like the Grass Cloth color you have in pics of your office and laundry room. I think the green toile idea is nice too. The glass knobs I think would be a great touch. No matter what you do I'm sure it will be gorgeous, as usual.

Kelly B said...

I love your corner cabinet! I have been looking for one but haven't found anything under $200. I know the perfect one is out there for me, though!! Maybe you could put some polka dot craft paper in the back. I am going to do that with my kitchen cabinets when I paint them soon. Or is would be really safe to go with the same color as your walls. Either way, I know you will make it look lovely!! :)

Unknown said...

Sweet cabinet! I'm jealous, though I don't have anywhere to put it. LOL

What about HOT Fuscia for an interior color! HA

Twice as Nice said...

What a great piece. Twin bought a great storage unit at Hobby Lobby last week and after sweating a bit the manager got into my trunk. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!!

Anonymous said...

May you always walk in sunshine.
May you never want for more.
May Irish angels rest their wings,
Right beside your door.

An Irish blessing

Happy St. Paddy's Day Rhoda,
Kathy :)

Wendy said...

I can't wait to see the end product!! I have wanted a corner cabinet forever and I am hoping to find one this summer.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, The burlap background sounds like a great choice... the texture will add interest and it is neutral so it won't compete with the beauties I am sure you be placing inside. I am anxious to see the finished product!

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

Burlap sounds great! I am taking ones of your ideas on the bookcase and painting mine the Turret Stair brown with a light aqua blue inside for my basement room that will now become a library. I have five bookcases to paint (!!!) but have to finish up an old dresser first for the sewing room. Your blog has inspired me to get back to being creative and using what I have instead of spending the money to buy new all the time. Looking forward to the reveal!

Carol

Rick said...

Had to look at your blog when I read the title over on YaYa's blog list, since my wife is a southern. You have a nice blog here - very busy. You appear to be very creative.

Maureen said...

You got a great deal on that piece, and of course, you are doing a fabulous job finishing it. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Maria Killam said...

Wow your blog is a force to be reckoned! I can't believe you haven't been in the Washington Post yet! I haven't seen another blog besides Cote de Texas that gets a mere 88 comments! Amazing! Thanks for your comments on my blog !