Saturday, March 14, 2009

Yardsale Season is here again

IMG_4367

Most of you who have been reading my blog know that I really get excited this time of year. It’s March, and the yardsales, yes maam, they have started. I could just about jump up and down with glee at the thought of going out and finding treasures. So, of course last Saturday was the first weekend of the month and I wasn’t disappointed with the opportunities. I could have hit countless sales, but picked a few places to stop by. It amazes me how many bunny collectors there are out there. Plenty of times I’ve walked up to a sale and noticed a whole table full of bunnies and of course, that immediately grabs my attention. Makes my pulse race just a little bit when I discover them. So this one sale had a whole bunch of bunny things. Even some Bordallo green bunny pieces, most of which I already had, but I bought it all anyway to pass on to another bunny lover. But, this large bunny soup tureen was the prize. She had it marked at $25 and I got it for $18. Made in Italy, it’s such a pretty piece and now will have the starring place on the sideboard.

IMG_4368

The colors are so delicate and the bunnies adorable.

IMG_4385

For whatever reason, she was also getting rid of some of her Bordallo bunny dishes and I bought all she had. Some of those I will pass on, as I already have the pieces, but these 2 I kept to add to my own collection. This is the first time I’ve found my bunny dishes out there, but it just goes to show, you never know what you’ll find.

IMG_4369

At the same sale, I found this beautiful little Italian box for $1. Couldn’t pass it up, it’s not very big only about 2x4”, but so pretty. Love the colors. I’ve got several pieces of these Italian handpainted crafts and love them all.

IMG_4370

So lovely to look at!

IMG_4372

Again at the same sale, I picked up this delicate, soft as can be aqua blue linen with lacy inserts and embroider for only $1. It’s a large square piece, probably a dresser scarf, but the color and texture really caught my eye.

IMG_4374

Isn’t it beautiful? I don’t know where I’ll use it, but it was too pretty to leave behind.

Ann Taylor blue sweater

At another sale, I found a really nice Ann Taylor sweater, like new and only $4. This robin's egg blue color looks good on me too.

White wall pocket

With Spring right around the corner and just in time for the Spring fluffing party next week, I had just been thinking that I really needed to find another wall pocket for my front door. I put my Fall arrangement in the black iron piece I found last year and really didn’t want to take it out, so I needed something for Spring. You’ll be seeing this on my frontdoor very soon and at $5, was a good buy. Being white, it will also show up better on my black door.

IMG_4432

For those of you wondering WHY I didn’t get the tureen last week ($16) at the flea mall, you know when you think about something and just have to go back for it? Well, here it is at home.

So, in case you’ve never been motivated to shop the yardsales and garage sales around your town, I hope this gives you the incentive you need. Who needs the mall when there are wonderful treasures to be found in a nearby neighborhood?

Go forth and shop, people!

Oh, and be sure to come back on Monday. I found my corner cabinet and can't wait to show you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

60 friends stopped by:

Kelly B said...

I think I am going to have to come down from Decatur and shop down there. There is not much going on up here yet... but hopefully soon it will pick up. I admit, I get a little giddy around this time of year as well... :)

SarahJarnagin said...

Our garage sales haven't started yet! I'm hoping this next weekend will be the one! I love finding bargains at garage sales!

Anonymous said...

I love the bunny tureen, oh my yes I do! Is that a demitasse cup and saucer? I've seen those at HomeGoods and have debated about getting them.
Just a little early for very many sales here, yet. Saw a few signs last week. Perhaps we'll find some at the lake next week. We've never shopped the yard sales there. Might find some goodies.

I came over to get the fluffing button. I'm looking around for things to pack for use on the deck. The largest item we're moving there is the black iron glider from the back porch. Yes, we're playing musical furniture once again; only this time it's between home and the lake, rather than between rooms!!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Oh the bunny bowl is too cute and I love those green dishes! Always look forward to seeing all the great deals you find at yardsales.
Hope you have a great weekend.
Blessings,
Sandy

Sandy said...

Good job Rhoda! I think I'm heading out today. BTW your blog is looking great! Happy Weekend!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Miss Rhoda, I love you all the time but I REALLY love you when you post your thrift finds!

It's so inspiring and always makes me want to get out and dig through yard sales.

Oh and if you get tired of that Ann Taylor sweater... ahem, send it my way. :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh that bunny tureen is just gorgeous and sounds like your area has some really fabulous yard sales. I don't see much at yard sales around here, maybe I need to shop some of the other neighborhoods. You made some really great finds. Hugs, Marty

Sue said...

What finds! I keep looking but have not seen any yard sales this season but I AM READY!

Kathi said...

Since it's cold and rainy here in B'ham today - I'm going to check out some thrift stores! Might have to stop by Stray Cats too!?

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, What's the saying.. "One man's junk is another man's treasure"? Your "finds" most definitly support that saying! Happy Yard Sale Shopping to you. ...susan

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great finds! Yardsales seem to be much better in your area. I have seen a couple lately, but nothing to get excited about.
Glenda

Unknown said...

SCORE!!!! I love all the items you purchased...and what GREAT deals. I LOVE anything Italian so I'm very envious of your new pieces. Happy Shopping!

imjacobsmom said...

I have one word, well actually two - I'm jealous! I guess I need to start shopping the yard sales.....I'm missing out on the good stuff. ~ Robyn

Unknown said...

We are still a few weeks from the peak of garage sale season here, but I'm as excited as you are! Great finds, I hope I'm as lucky as you!

Lisa said...

It has been cold and rainy here...definitely NOT yard sale weather. Maybe next week. So I'll be content to look at your lovely things. What good buys!

Darlene said...

Good GOSH Rhoda you find the BEST things at your yard sales. The bunnies would have made my heart "hop" a little faster also. I LOVE bunnies. They are getting ready to hop all out and about in my Easter decorating!! I LOVE everything you bought. Sure wish I was in your area to yard sale with you!♥

Runner Mom said...

Wow! What great finds! All I find is junk...seriously! Love the green bunny plates...saw them at Marshall's the other day!

Hugs,
Susan

Ali said...

Fantastic! I cannot wait until the garage/yard/barn sales start up here, I am so excited! Hopefully will find some good stuff and not junk. Great job!

julie & joe said...

Love the bunny dishes! You scored on the SLAH wall pocket. I use mine on my front door from just after Easter until I put up fall with spring flowers and then sunflowers.

Mary said...

You are the Queen Rhoda of Yard Sales! I love everything and how smart of you to buy all the bunny plates. Love the cloth and sweater..Mary

Sharon said...

Wow, what great finds! You are sure to use each one in a beautiful, creative way in your home - can't wait to see; and also the corner cabinet! Hugs, Sharon

Christina said...

It is garage sale time here too. (GA) It was rainy today, but I look forward to many Saturdays out looking for bargains.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What wonderful finds! I love the bunny tureen. It is beautiful. I don't usually go to yards sales, because by the time I get up and get going, everything good is gone!
Hugs,
Penny

Carrie said...

Well wow! I need to come hit yard sales with you! We do not have near the "finds" around my house. I love your blog. Beautiful pictures and lots of inspiration for decorating my own home.

chanteusevca said...

Mercy! Holy Haul, Rhoda! Great finds! I have to find similar neighborhoods in the D/FW area to go yard sale shopping. What types of neighborhoods to you seem to find the best goodies in Decatur?

Anonymous said...

That Rhoda is ADORABLE I love it...

We have JUNK sales around here or maybe I am not early enough and the good stuff is all gone...WOW you do well !!!

Have a nice week-end,
Kathy :)

***Congrats to the winner of your pillow giveaway, I can't wait to see what she picks.... see Susan Lucci/aka ME lives on :( LOL

Angie said...

I am so excited too about yard sales starting up again! You found some great stuff. Wish I had the same luck you do at finding the bunny stuff. I have the same green Bordallo bunny plate and would love to find more of it.

Screaming Meme said...

Can I say...that one day Im going to make it out there and yard sale with you! You are amazing at it! I think you should open up one of those high end consignment shops in your area! You have the eye for it! :) Im so glad to have my computer back! I have missed your blog so much! :)

I don't know if you know that I started a new blog...Project:{Create A Home}...(And no, Screaming Meme is not closing down:) We are having a Grand Opening on Monday...I hope you can stop in and look around!

We are having a Life & Style Makeover Giveaway...It's sure to be fun! I only wish I could bottle some of your creative to giveaway too! Your style both home and fashion are classic!

Love you and your blog, Meme

www.projectcreateahome.blogspot.com
www.screamingmeme.blogspot.com

Missy Wertz said...

Good finds Rhoda. I should have emailed or called to see if your were going YS to see if I could go with you.

W/out seeing and touching in person I cannot be sure, but the linen piece looks very nice. And you cannot go too wrong with $1. Especially if you are using that color somewhere in your house, which you are. It looks in perfect condition, nice fil-turk (I did not spell that right) and embroidery.

Anonymous said...

Now who could not fall in love with those sweet bunnies! I know I have! I would love to start a collection of my own and you have just given me the best pep talk. So it's off to garage selling I go. Hope Im just half as lucky as you. I also want to say thank you for being such a dear friend. It shows in your blog and spills right over to my heart. Thank you Rhoda! You are very dear to me and just wanted you to know that~

Becky K. said...

Soon, very soon the sales will begin here in PA.

I was wanting to get to an auction today but a meeting this morning went longer than I had hoped.

Sandy said...

Great finds! Love the dishes! It is a little early here to start the sales but soon, very soon.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda,

I am so envious of your Italian box. I collect those! What a great find!
The bunny pieces are also good buys too. You got some great deals!

You let me know if your neighborhood has a sale again.
I am getting ready to have one of my own. My basement is ridiculous!

Kris said...

So glad you went back and got the soup toureen. Love all of your bunny finds. I love the sales and can't wait for them to start here. It will be soon. yeaaaaaaah'

Have a happy day

Kris

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Great finds, Rhoda! I love that bunny piece!

Anonymous said...

Looks like some great finds Rhoda!
Thanks for sharing ;-)
I need to have a garage sell and get of some treasures! lol

Smiles,
kayellen

j said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I have gone private for a short time. It seems that my blog was HACKED. I am not sending out invites until I know exactly what to do. Just wanted to let you know that you are not being excluded from Dust Bunny Hostage :) "I'll be back!"

KM Studios said...

It all looks like great stuff!!! you've got the eye Rhoda!!

Can wait to see the new cabinet..

I'm off to paint my bedroom furniture black & silver..wish me luck

susan said...

I'm so glad you got the tureen--couldn't believe you passed it up! If you have time, check out my garage sale story about an angel!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Oh my! I love the bunny soup tureen! Adorable! I too collect bunnies. I actually just got some of the green Bordallo bunny dishes on ebay this week.

Allidink said...

Wow, you did good, and got some great bargains. I love garage sales too :)

All the best,
Allison

Anonymous said...

Rhoda~ "SHAME ON YOU"!!! Yes, FOR SHAME!!! ~~~How C-O-U-L-D you show us that absolutely PRECIOUS n' DARLING tureen, & THEN tell us it was only $25 and THENNNNNN tell us you got it for $18?!?! HONESTLY, alot of us a DYin' here, girlfriend!!! As a bona-fide, big-time shopper & one one "sees" ALOT of nice/great "things", I have NEVER seen a tureen quite like that!!! I broke down & TRIED it here (garage sales... TWICE!!!), and it was a "no-go"... a 100% NO GO in fact!!! When we had a ski house in Park City tho (UT), I LIVVVVED for Saturday garage sales... Whenever we were there, that's where I WAS on a Saturday & wow!!! "NEAT STUFF!" ~~ And once in a blue moon, there were really fun, truly exciting "steals", like you got today! CONGRATS! ONCE AGAIN, "YOU'RE THE MARY!" (but CUTER than her! SMiles~~~)~~~ Hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you found some really neat stuff. I saw there was a yard sale or two last weekend around here but I didn't make it to any of them. I have managed to snag me some bargains though at the thrift stores and flea markets here lately. Man you and I really need to get together and go shopping! HEE HEE We'd have a ball shopping for all our treasures!
Congrats on all your finds!!!!

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...Yea, garage sale days are here again! Well, not quite in my neck of the woods...but I'm on the lookout for them...you got some jewels! ;-) Bo

Juli said...

Love the little bunny tureen. The wall pocket, well may I say you got one heck of a deal on that one. It is from the Southern Living at Home catalog. I looked to see the original price but it is no longer in the current catalog but I can assure you $5 is a steal. I received one as a gift a couple of years ago and just recently figured out what to do with it. I painted it and put in on my front door. You can see it julispot.blogspot.com

I love all of you wonderful finds. Thanks for sharing.
Juli

OldBagNewTricks said...

For us it will soon be flea market season!!! Congrats on landing the bunny tourine!!! Lovely! I have those bunny plates mixed in with my Desert Rose -- and to think somebody was selling the whole lot -- go figure.

Jenny

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

How about that? I didn't even know I had scored a Southern Living at Home wall pocket. Well, now I know it was way more than $5 now, so I'm just double thrilled that I found it!

Bonita said...

Such pretty linen!

Erin said...

Oh, I miss yard sales! Spaniards don't do that. I guess they think that if they don't want it, no one else will either. :( LOVE the little Italian box!

SoBella Creations said...

My Mom took my sister and I to yard sales every saturday. So now as an adult I hardly go to any.

Jodi said...

Rhoda - do you have any tips on how to pick a good yard sale? Seems like so many that I've been to are just total junk and a waste of time...would love any advice you might have to share!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Oh what lovely finds, Rhoda! When I see bunnies or Bordallo, I always think of you and how lovely they look in your home. The aqua linen piece is beautiful! I don't need anything - and jobs aren't stable these days - so I'll have to shop vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing the fun!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Great finds Rhoda! I have got the itch for a good yard sale. Really need to get it out of my system!
Thanks for sharing all of your goodies.
~Misti

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

It's just starting to warm up here in Colorado, so I tell ya I am so ready, I was actually dreaming that I was driving by all of these amazing yard sales, and the driver wouldn't stop! I saw some incredible stuff; maybe a sign of my summer to come? I hope!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

It poured here all weekends, so no yard sales yet...but next weekend. YIpee. :)

jessiev said...

No yard sales up here yet...to cold! I'm waiting as patiently as I can. So glad you went back for the soup toreen!

Sarah said...

Great finds! We are just starting to get a little rise in temps up here, so in a few weeks we will be into garage sale season! I can't wait! :) Some of my favorite times!
You have some lovely new items! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I live in Vegas so I'm not sure where there's great yardsales. (I'm originally from Maine...plenty of great yard sales)
Thank goodness for Etsy.com. I've been able to purchase some terrific decor items at my affordable price level.

Maureen said...

I am in love with that bunny tureen. Wow! You found some great deals. I love them all. Bunnies are my thing, and I even decorated with them at Christmas this year. Great stuff. As always, I have such a great time when I stop by your blog. I just love it.

Shining Windows said...

love all your spring finds!