Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Beadboard Wallpaper

IMG_5621

Did you know there is such a thing? Don’t adjust your monitor, you did read that right.

I know, in case you haven’t heard, there really is beadboard wallpaper. Isn’t that the coolest and maybe strangest thing? I actually ordered a sample of this about a year ago and it’s been sitting on my desk as I contemplated all the things I might do with this magnificent stuff. It’s thick and paintable and looks just like beadboard when it’s up on the wall. It’s made in the UK by Graham Brown and is called Super Fresco.

IMG_5622

Here’s my sample that I've been touching for a year now. I think Lowes used to carry it in the stores, but it's not at any of mine now. I found it online through Home Depot (link here) and had a double roll shipped to me. For less than $30 total.

beadboardpaper

And here’s an online pic. I’m definitely fooled when I look at this pic. Looks like the real thing to me.

Now, I’m not planning to put it on the walls YET (but I might change my mind), although I have seen other pics in some decorating forums where people have used it in a bathroom with chair railing and it does look like the real thing in those pics too. I'm using it for the ends of my bathroom and kitchen cabinets. They are just plain Jane and I want to spruce them up and make things look a little more cottage. I don’t really want to add a thick piece of beadboard and have to worry about trimming it all out, so this is a great solution. I'm adding a little trim around the edges after I’m done, paint it all out with my glossy white trim paint and I bet no one will be the wiser. In fact, I've already started on it this week and the stuff is amazing and very easy to work with. It's pre-pasted on the back so all you do is cut and paste. Love that!

What do you think? Ever heard of it and would you try it? Mine is already looking great so far.

You know I'll share all the details!

Also, head on over to fellow blog friend and thrifter extraordinaire all the way in Hawaii, Kennesha at Me and My House today. She asked me to share something over at her blog and I dug up an OLD project from 2 years ago that if you're a new reader of my blog, you probably have never seen. China cabinet turned bedroom TV armoire. Go take a look and say hello to this girl who loves junk as much as I do! She's from Alabama and will be visiting here next month, so I hope we can meet up in person.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

82 friends stopped by:

Nancy said...

Wow, thanks for letting us know
about this new stuff. Have never
seen it before, but would definitely be interested in trying
it. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I am thinking I would like that in my kitchen! Is it hard to work with(cutting it)? We will need to see pictures of your bead board!
Nancy from OHIO

Anonymous said...

I should have said... PLEASE can we see pictures of your beadboard?! Nancy from OHIO

The Buchanan Family said...

I was planning on doing the same thing execpt with real beadboard. You have def. changed my mind. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Wow! Only last night I was contemplating getting beadboard for one wall in my entry. The wallpaper would be perfect. I'll have to check with my Home Depot in Canada. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Love that...NO I've never seen it before...

It looks like the real thing huh ??? I used beadboard for my backsplash in the kitchen...I wanted something that I could change, I had tiles before and tired of them.

I like your idea about using it on the ends of cabinets...I take it it's white does it come in off white or can you paint it ???

Thanks for the tip...

Kathy :)

Pam said...

I have never seen this paper before. I think it might be a good solution to use in the back of doorless cabinets. I have bead board in my kitchen. When we repaint the cabinets - I want to permanently remove a couple of the doors. This paper would look good on the back wall there.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I've never seen this particular paper, though I have seen textured papers that can be painted.

I'm having a give-away on my blog to celebrate my 1000th post. Come on over.

Anonymous said...

OOH, Rhoda! I've never heard of this bead board wallpaper! I think I would use it. My kitchen is very small and I wanted to add some bead board to my little island (well, it's actually a peninsula). And this would be so easy. I think the trim thought would be necessary so as not to tear the edges!
Can't wait to see yours and I may just have to have some of this!
Thanks for sharing,
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Suburban Stitcher said...

Very cool! I've been thinking that I wanted to put bead board below my island...where all of the feet kick the wall! This might be just the thrifty solution that is needed!

Vanessa Greenway said...

That is great!! I'm definitely try to find those! Thanks for sharing the info!Vanessa

Kelli said...

This is exciting news!! Would love to try it!!

Unknown said...

I have seen that wallpaper and was tempted to give it a try, but wondered if it could possibly look as good as the real thing. Can't wait to see your finished project!

Shelly said...

We just used this in the spring when we painted our kitchen cabinets! We put it on the ends of the cabinets and around the island. It is fabulous and so easy to work with. And much easier to paint than real beadboard. So far, it is holding up great! And we have four and five year old boys!

Here is a link to the post about the cabinets. I will get some better pics of the beadboard up there, too! http://shellyandtheboys.blogspot.com/2009/04/painted-kitchen-cabinets.html

We have also used textured wallpaper on the ceiling of our dining room. It looks like tin tiles. We painted it grey, then used a silver glaze on top. We put it up about 6 years ago, and it still looks great! You can see it on my blog on my post about my dining room: http://shellyandtheboys.blogspot.com/2009/05/dining-room-before-after-after.html

Anonymous said...

This solves a big problem for me! I want to rearrange a room to make it an office, but the back of our big rolltop desk is a mess and I wanted to place the desk with the back facing the middle of the room. I am going to homedepot.com right this very minute. Then i will wander my house looking for other ways to use it!!! :) thanks! debbiehall5@comcast.net

Jennifer said...

How intresting. I've never seen wallpaper like that. It looks so real. I have often thought of adding beadboard to my kithen between my upper and lower cabinets. This would be so much easier....and cheaper! I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with to do with your paper.

Have a great Wednesday,
Jennifer

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls, I don't think Home Depot or Lowes carries this in the stores anymore (at least in my area they don't). Check yours out to be sure, but you may have to order it online. I'll add the link in here.

Shannon said...

sounds good...I'll be interested to see how yours turns out!

Mindy said...

It's a neat look, but I think I'd rather go for the real thing. Wallpaper of any kind is a pain to remove. ~Mindy

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hmmm...my wheels are turning...I'll be thinking about that all day long. There are several walls that could use this treatment. My laundry room for one, would be great. I have done bead board in the kitchen and could use an easier version. I could also see this on a few pieces of furniture....Thanks Rhoda!

~Misti

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Thanks for sharing this. Who would've thunk? How neat and such a quick fix for those little spaces like what you're using it for. Or...for bigger projects. I would consider using it in the bath. Thanks again!

Nancy

Pam @ Frippery said...

Getting all kinds of ideas. Love the comment about the back of the roll top. I have the same problem, now it is solved. I wanted to add bead board to the insets of my cabinet doors but it would be a pain to get each piece sized right. This is a great solution. Thanks Rhoda!

Lovely Little Nest said...

That is AWESOME! What an inexpensive and beautiful way to transform a room! Great find :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

GASP*** No way, that's the coolest!!! I've wanted to add beadboard in so many places, but I didn't want to deal with the power tools and the mess. This is a perfect solution... I must order this right away. Thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I think this post just took my breath away a lil bit. I use to hang wallpaper years and years ago. I made a promise to myself to never EVER hang the stuff in my own house. Reason being, its just a mess when you want to change things up. Not as easy as just painting..ya know. Anyway, I read this post and I would have soooo used this instead of the real deal. I wish I would have found this paper months ago. I cant wait to find out how you like it. Thank you so very much for sharing the awesome paper with us. I bet we will see this paper buzzing round blog land real fast..hehe. Have a great one!

Decor To Adore said...

I love beadboard and imagine that this would be a grand solution for many. I am thinking it would be fabulous to line the back of hutches.

grannyann said...

I definitely bookmarked the beadboard wallpaper. I also looked at what your friend in Hawaii had done with the old cabinet. Wow, thanks for the inspirations.

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Who knew? Oh, yes, you did! Thanks for sharing.

Christi

Robyn said...

We used the beadboard wallpaper in our lake house rehab about 3 years ago. This is the only photo I have:
http://tinyurl.com/ns23gu

Although nothing can replace the real thing, this comes a close second. Also, I would not use it if the area gets alot of traffic as the paper "gives" somewhat and easily dents. It was easy to apply- better than traditional wallpaper. We had those wallboard covered walls and it did great; however I don't have any experience covering sheetrock.

The Stylish House said...

Rhoda,
I have seen this, but never used it so thanks for the reminder. I am looking forward to seeing what clever way you end up using it. Of course show many photos!!!
Cathy

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Love your blog! I researched beadboard alternatives for a client a few months ago and found this message board where people shared their experiences w/beadboard wallpaper. Thread includes some photos. Probably the same message board that you referenced in your post? Thought it might be of interest to your readers:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg012309109258.html

Amy

stefanie said...

ok, that is the coolest thing ever!!!!

Three Birds Inspired said...

I wanted to put up bead board in my bath but removing the trim around the windows, vanity, etc had me freaked out. The wallpaper version looks like it would work out perfectly for me. Now, to check for it at my local Home Depot!

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

I just recently learned about this wallpaper myself. I am getting ready to redecorate a bedroom and want a beachy look. I was thinking about adding this wallpaper to the recessed area on the dresser drawer fronts to give the furniture a more beach cottage feel since real beadboard would be too thick. Hmmmm...I hadn't even thought about using it on my backsplash in the kitchen (or on the kitchen cabinet doors)! Duh!

Brandi said...

Never heard of it! Very interesting. I can't wait to see how your project turns out! :-)

Joanna said...

Never heard of it before but sounds so neat! I'd love to give it a try. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

paintergal said...

I'm curious as to how it would hold up. I'll be eager to hear your opinion on it.

Kristi said...

Never heard of it and love the look! I can't wait to see the finished results and your final OK on how great it is!

Jenny said...

I got a sample of that a few years ago, but was discouraged by the softness of it.

I was afraid to put it up, because it may get lots of dings in it.

What are your thoughts on that?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Rhoda ~ I'd probably use it in the same context you are - on kitchen cabinet ends or an island end; something that may be outdated and this would help tide it over inexpensively. Clever idea.

marmielu said...

That looks like great stuff! I wish I had something like that when we had to remove the wallpaper from our kitchen. I ended up hiring a paint contractor to smooth up the walls, and then we painted. Must keep this stuff in mind.
Can't wait to see what you've done with it.
Mary Lou

Funky Junk Interiors said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I am so not a fan of anything wallpaper, but I've been wanting to redecorate my travel trailer for a more seaside look (rather than goofy 80's pink and blue fluff) and have been trying to figure out a board and batten or beadboard wall treatment that can handle abit of flex. I'm off to HD to see if they have it in our area and grab a sample!

Sooooo cool!! I can see beadboard walls, white distressed cabinets and a light woodsy stick-on floor coming right up! With my first ever so popular hanging starfish. :D

Thanks for sharing Rhoda!

Donna

Judy said...

I checked this out on line after you mentioned it the other day on our outing. I don't know where I could use it right now but I might order some to have on hand in case I get a light bulb idea!

Can't wait to see it in your kitchen!

Love ya,
Judy

Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

Yes, yes, it's fabulous! I put it in one of the bathrooms at our previous home. I left it white for awhile, then painted it. You can't tell it isn't the real deal. Wish I had pictures.

aguhmom said...

I ordered some already - gonna do my laundry room "closet". Coastal Living's Idea house is in Galveston, & beadboard is everywhere in it. Especially in the washroom -
Question; when you say you are putting it on the ends of cabinets, does that mean the face area where the handles are? cuz thats where i want to put it!
thanks for the tip - patti

Stacey said...

I have never heard of it but now you've got me thinking about it... =D

Runner Mom said...

That stuff is awesome! Can't wait to see what you eventually do with it!! I have a small redo on my post today--hop over if you get a minute!!

Hugs,
Susan

Kathi said...

Hmmmmm....you've got me thinking again! How about using this inside my china cabinet? Think it would work?

Love Being A Nonny said...

I haven't seen this but I am going to see if I can find it so I can *see it in person*. I am about to redo my powder room and I was going to put bead board in it. Maybe this would work??? Thanks for sharing!

Cindy said...

Wow, that is so cool! I want some! I may add it to the bottom of my bathroom that I just redid! Thank you!!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Love this idea!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, girls! I'm glad you are all excited about this too. From what I hear, it really looks great in a bathroom area under the chair rail. And yes, that post on Garden Web is where I first heard about this stuff. Then I ordered a sample last year and have held onto it til now.

So, I'm using it on the flat white outsides of my cabinets, top and bottom. You know that part that is just sitting there plain? That part! It really is looking great already & I haven't even painted it yet.

Same with the bath cabinets. The white flat part on the sides. They were really not looking great and covering them with this stuff makes them look much better. I doubt anyone will ever know it's not real if I don't tell them.

I really, really think this would be perfect in a powder room or small bath that doesn't get a lot of wear and tear under the chair rail.

There are LOTS of possibilities: back of a bookcase or hutch, or back of glassfront kitchen cabs, recessed drawer or door fronts on cabinets or dressers. LOTS of possibilities so I'll expect ya'll to come up with some good ones too. :)

Back to work for me!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda!!! This is so cool, and I'm SO glad you found it and shared. I could actually use some of that.

Thanks SO much! YEA! Happy Dance!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Well, I'll be! I never would have guessed that photo was of wallpaper. Very cool!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Well, I've never...! What will they think of next? I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Vanessa said...

Thanks for letting us know that this product exists! I put up beadboard planks in my kids' bathrooms. It wasn't easy! I was thinking of doign exactly what you said, putting it on the sides of my cabinets and on the back of my island- to give it a little architecture and character. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Never heard of it, but it sounds great! I can't wait to see what you've done with it.

~Amanda

akawest said...

That paper could be the beginning of quite a few fun projects. It will be great to see how it is used.

Rose said...

That would be SO cool inside a china cabinet wouldn't it? I thought about you today at the thrift store. I found some neat stuff today. I guess folks are donating their left over garage sale items now because one of them was loaded down with stuff.

Southerner said...

Okay, I am heading down to Bham and giving you a big smoochie smoochie for this one, Rhoda!!!! We are remodeling our camper. The back wall in the bedroom had to be replaced so I had my husband put up beadboard paneling to have a cottage look. I "wanted" it all over, but in a camper it is not worth the expense or hassle. So, I was going to paint over the wallpaper on the rest of the walls. NOW, I CAN HAVE IT!!!!

Signing Out said...

I've seen the beadboard wallpaper before and was also thinking of applying it to the side of the peninsula in my kitchen ... when I finally get around to the redo.

I've also done a beadboard painting treatment on the wall my breakfast room using a squeegee that was cut to do this.

Great blog, btw! I love your decorating style and yard sale finds!

Jane

Bambi said...

Rhoda,do you think it would work on a ceiling? I have been wanting to put beadboard on one of my ceilings but was holding off because of the expense. Just thinking that this might work!

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to buy stock in the company who makes this! Just by the sounds of it... blogland is going to being buying lots of it. HA HA HA HA I am really thinking of using it as a blacksplash in my kitchen! Nancy from OHIO

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Bambi, I thought of that already too & I totally think this would work on a ceiling instead of the real thing. It's SO easy to work with and really goes on smoothly, so I can't see any reason not to use it on a ceiling. It would be so much easier than doing the real thing up there.

Oh, the possibilities. Tomorrow I paint it! Everything is ready now for paint.

Bambi said...

Thank you, Rhoda. I think I will just have to try it!! I'm going online right now!!

M.J. said...

oh i can't wait to see it! I'm so doing it somewhere in my house. i have actual real bead board in my kids bath and love it, this seems so much easier. i bet it is easy to wipe down too!

i bet it would look great in the back off shelves too! i'll be dreaming of beadboard wall paper tonight!

Wendy said...

I have real beadboard under chair rail in my kitchen. I have wanted my husband to istall it as a backsplash too, but he just doesn't have time to do it. If this works good for you, I will try it too, since I could do it myself without my husbands help.
Thanks for sharing!

momstheword said...

I love this, and no I didn't know. I love, love, love beadboard!!!!

I don't have any in my home but I do love it. We are just slow on the remodeling stuff, lol!

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rhoda

Where does my time go?! I can't seem to get caught up anymore. I've had fun though catching up with you tonight though.

I've never seen the beadboard wallpaper...sounds interesting. Can't wait to see your project.

Hugs!
Kat

Tracy Watier said...

This might be just what I need for a tricky spot I've wanted to add beadboard to. I'll have to scout it out and take a look. Thanks! I'll let you know if I use it.

Caroline said...

I would definitely try it...I am going to see if they sell it here in Canada at our Home Depot. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Melissa said...

Hi Rhoda! I just barely found out about this as well. They do have it at Lowe's, but it's not as nice as the brand you have there. It looks a little cheaper, if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of using it in the middle of my laundry room cabinets to give them a little something extra, but we'll see how it turns out. I may just wait and see how it turns out for you :)

{sue} said...

I am SO GLAD you posted this! We are getting ready to re-do a teeny tiny bathroom and I really wanted beadboard, but my husband vetoed since it's such a tiny space. But this, I think we can compromise on!

Ms. Tee said...

Hi Rhoda :) I've never heard of this before! I'd love to see the photos - I know it will be gorgeous!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I've never seen such fabulous paper!! I can't wait to see what you do, and hear what your "experience" working with it is/was.

Unknown said...

I have a room that needs the wallpaper. I am going to order it today.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Mary said...

Love it and didn't know this pattern existed. Umm, bathroom makeover in the future using this I think!!

I used the 'tin ceiling' pattern below the dining room chair rail several years ago and have absolutely loved it. Painted over it a couple of times - it's such fun paper and very easy to hang.

Carrie said...

Oh my, I love it! Gotta get some of that and experiment at my house. Thanks for the hot tip!

Cal said...

Thank you for your reply Rhoda. So inspired am I by you that I have just returned from our local recycling centre with some neat little finds! They just need a bit of TLC now .... and I was thinking maybe - touch of black? mmm, you see, you've lit a creative light in me!
Have a great day.
Cal :>

Anonymous said...

I had never seen this before. I will have to keep this in mind when I paint my kitchen cabinets white. I was planning of putting beadboard around the edges of the cabinets and around our breakfast bar area, but I will have to look at this wallpaper too.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog...found you on Alabama bloggers. I've looked online at beadboard wallpaper before, but never bought any...does it feel like it looks? Is it textured? I just took down all wallpaper in my house, but I could be persuaded to try it again!

Peanut Petunia said...

ooooooh! Love it!! So glad to have found your blog! :)

Susan @ www.peanutpetunia.blogspot.com