Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's the Little Things: Knobs

IMG_5380

Have you ever just noticed something around your house that you've looked at a million times, get a bright idea and you have to stop right then and change it?

I was vacuuming recently and stopped in the foyer, took a look at this painted chest that I’ve had, oh for at least 10 years now. I got this little beauty in Atlanta from a local decorator who used to have home shows at her house. She would buy from the Mart and have some great decorative accessories shows right in her basement and we always looked forward to it. It was a good deal. I fell in love with it then and still love it. It’s not a really expensive piece, but the details and colors are beautiful to me. I’ve looked at these gold knobs all these years and it never hit me until I stopped, took at good look and said to myself….those knobs would sure look better painted black. As we compulsive decorators are known to do, I took the knobs off right that minute, took them outside with my black Satin spray paint that’s always on hand and gave them a quick shot of paint. Let them dry well.

IMG_5383

And put them back on and lo and behold, they DO look so much better than the gold. The piece has some black on it and the black knobs really bring out that detail.

IMG_5389

And the black of the foyer rug really brings it all together. Do you ever do that? It doesn’t happen like that to me all the time, but sometimes something just jumps out and I have to do it right then.

*********************************************

HudsonGoods logo
If you haven't stopped by lately, please take a moment to check out one of my sponsors, Hudson Goods, for unique items for the home. There’s an array of vintage inspired furniture and accessories to choose from, so stop by and see what Karl has to offer. And remember, shipping is always free, a huge plus. Even on furniture!

Large Jar

And Karl has a fantastic giveaway going on over at Apartment Therapy for one of his vanity desks. Yep, a free piece of furniture. Someone is going to win, so go and put your name in the drawing!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

62 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

The black knobs make a huge difference. Isn't it strange how a simple little thing like that gives a piece an entirely new look?

I have some white furniture in a guest room that didn't look quite right. New knobs - now everything looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

First of all, this chest is gorgeous! I do love it! You're right, too! The knobs look marvelous painted black! You're too good!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

sara@augustfields said...

rhoda....you're like me...my vaccuum gets abandoned often for random reasons :) :)

LOVE the black...totally pulls the piece together!

Kathi said...

That is a gorgeous piece of furniture! Love the "new" black knobs. You have such a good eye for detail!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, I don't think I would have thought of changing those knobs, but you know, it really improves the whole look (which didn't even need improving!). Great idea! Linda

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great quickie makeover. :) It really does bring everything in that area together. I love how you dropped everything right then to run out and finish your project...I am SO that girl. ;)

ursula said...

i am so in love with that dresser! dresser envy!!!!

akawest said...

You're too modest. Admit it, you add your golden touch to everything. The knobs look great, since as you said, there was already black accents on the piece...very pretty.

Signing Out said...

Such an improvement with the black knobs. It's all in the details, isn't it?

Funny, just yesterday, I was walking through our upstairs hallway and noticed the knobs on the chest out there seem to blend into the piece. You've inspired me to change them.

Jane

Sara F. said...

Wow. I can't believe how much those knobs changed that piece! I always have good intentions to change/improve stuff with spray paint but I never seem to get around to doing it. I'm all idea and no action!

southerninspiration said...

Ooooooh, good call! Love the knobs black!!! And it pulls everything all together! I love it when that happens!

suzanne

Dream Mom said...

Looks great! It looks like it should have been that way all the time!

Great photography shot with the black rug to bring out the knobs.

Adrienne said...

it was pretty before, but now looks more pulled together. you made a good choice. i love it when things like that happen spur of the moment :)

Natalie said...

Once again you nailed it! The black knobs are just what the dresser needed. (although it is a lovely piece!)
Great job!!

marmielu said...

Isn't it funny that something small like that can make such a difference? And that you just didn't see it before? I always wonder why it happens like that. Yes, sometimes I get that, "if I don't fix this now, I just can't stand it" urge.
I like it much better with the black knobs.
Mary Lou

Heathahlee said...

You're right...my first thought was that the black side pieces really didn't stand out until those black knobs were put on! That is a gorgeous piece of furniture.

Sue said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love the painted black knobs. You have got some great projects going on.
Hugs,
Sue

Frugal Jen said...

What a beautiful piece. The knobs look better black.

Yes I also get an itch and have to paint little details... for example my gold door knobs. I spray painted them with oil rubbed bronze and they are holding up great and look fab!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Hi Rhoda,

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog to say, "Hello!" It's nice to meet you too :)

The black knobs are a big improvement. I can relate to the sudden urge to make a decorating change. I'm relieved when it's something small that I can change in a relatively short amount of time--much more convenient than when I think, "Oh, this room would look SO much better if I could just tear down that wall..."

g.suzie said...

Amazing what that little change out did for your chest. I love the glass jar, it would be perfect for a few cut flowers from the garden!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Isn't it funny how the smallest of changes can give the biggest effects! I love the new color - much, much better!

Trixi said...

Rhoda, I am with you on the knobs. I am working on my kitchen and I think just changing the knobs out and the positioning is going to make a huge difference. Your chest looks great!!

Jennifer said...

Wow, the knobs do make a huge difference! It's funny that you posted on this. I have been searching for weeks for the perfect knobs for a dresser that I am refinishing and finally stumbled (actually the hubby did) upon some that may work just perfect. I hhope to have the finished dresser posted by Saturday, Monday at the latest.

Habe a lovely weekend,
Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

KristenfromNY said...

The black knobs look great, Rhoda! I laughed at you stopping and taking the knobs off right there and then, because that's what I would have done. I've got a old desk that will be getting the black paint treatment soon too. I think I first learned that from you over on GI, and it has come in handy several times over the years. Love, love, love your blog Rhoda!

Kristen(fromNY)

Debra from Bungalow said...

Yep, it'a all in yhe details! Thanks for showing that pretty chest up close and personal...love it!

Sandra said...

Wow! I love the black knobs on the dresser! It looked stunning before but it looks much more stunning now. I love it! Love all your ideas!
Blessings,
Sandra

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

I do like the black knobs! They make all of the black details really pop. Funny how such a little thing can make a huge difference. You know me though, knobs are a huge part of my life. I don't have many of my own Sknobs around here, but I am always taking inspiration from knobs I see in stores to come up with better ideas!

~Misti

Leslie said...

I like the black knobs better too. When I redid my kitchen, I couldn't justify replacing 63 knobs/pulls/backplates so I painted them. I think it just about killed my husband to see me painting those brass babies but he's thrilled with the effect now.
I've had the ephiphany with switchplates too.

Lynette said...

That chest is simply gorg and you're right - the black knobs made a world of difference - great idea!!

I visited Hudson's and I loved their distressed kitchen table - the big one - would love to have that one day - sigh!!

Susie Q said...

That's perfect. I might try that on the little decorative dresser in Sunshine's room...the ones on their are white, but it is a lot of Mary Englebreit influence on it...so that might be just the thing.

Chele said...

What a difference that makes! Beautiful!! I would have never thought to change knobs to make it look so much better! Thanks!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Painted furniture is one of my weaknesses! I love your piece! I thought it looked pretty good "before", but I like the "after" too.

Tracey said...

Wow, what a difference. I wish I had a eye for details like that. That is why I love your blog.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The black knobs do look fabulous and I don't think I would have ever thought of it. The gold looked great too. The chest is absolutely fabulous, I really love it. Hugs, Marty

Kat said...

If you ever want to get rid of that piece I know the perfect little spot for it! lol

kahlanne said...

Amazing what a difference that made. I love it!

Stacey said...

Hi Rhoda. The black knobs really brought out the deeper colors in that gorgeous chest! I have to tell you that 9 years ago when we moved into this house I wanted a painted chest for my entry way. I chickened out because I could buy a mahogany piece for the same price. Now...I know mahogany is timeless but not a day goes by that I don't wish for a painted piece. Darn!!

Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

I loved your cabinet before, and love it even more now!
When we moved into our newly built home six years ago I wanted to paint a one-inch black stripe on the top moulding of our beautiful light oak kitchen cabinets. Hubby said, "NO!"
I decided to run 1" black electrical tape in that area, then see if hubby liked the effect and would give his OK. He loved it!
Here it is six years later, the tape is still there and looks just like it has been painted!
You wouldn't believe how many have done the same to their cabinets. Some have even asked my permission! When they do, I always say, "You go right ahead, that's a big compliment to me!"

Suzann said...

WOW!

grannyann said...

The black knobs are perfect. I absolutely love those colors in your chest. That would match exactly my couch and love seat!!! You can send it when you get time.

Jen said...

It looks like a whole new piece of furniture and it didn't cost you anything. It does look so much better. It makes me wonder what simple, inexpensive changes are lurking around in my house unnoticed.

We've Got Scents said...

Perfecto! Looks great!
Wish I was better about acting on these little things when I notice them!
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Wow it made a huge difference and it was so easy to do! I love this idea. Sometimes we tend to freak out that home improvements/decorating will too much a big cost, but there are lots of little ways to update. Thanks for sharing your tip!

Unknown said...

I've come to expect that any idea you have is a good one! Those knobs really do look great.

Nancy

Sue said...

It IS amazing what a difference the black knobs made on that piece. I would have never thought of doing that..but YOU are so talented in that area. That chest is beautiful with all the detail...it would make me happy just looking at it.

Anonymous said...

I think we must be soul sista's! They look great!

Kelly Bergsing said...

Beautiful!! You are so talented!! The black rug makes everything make sense!!

momstheword said...

Unfortunately no, that doesn't happen to me in a "decorating" sense. That's why I am reading your blog!

I love decorating magazines but I am better at organizing than decorating.

Gwen said...

That makes a HUGE difference. Before they sort of stood out and didn't fit with the look, now they fade in a bit and compliment it.

I do things like that often. Drop everything because I just had a light bulb moment!

Sue said...

amazing the difference!!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Yes Ma'am I know what you mean! Been there done that... ;) The black knobs do look better! Nancy

Hallie said...

Rhoda-
Love your blog and all of your projects. I thought you might like this link: https://www.glidden.com/promotions/free-paint-giveaway.do

You can get a free quart of paint, mailed right to your house! Guess what color I got? That's right-black. You can never have too much!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Small change, BIG effect! I get those urges, too, but I'm usually not as organized as you are and would have to hunt for the paint or whatever - and by the time I found it, I'd be over it. LOL! But lately, I've found myself rearranging little things, and getting rid of some items. I want to empty my home of all my silk greenery now. Just have to find someone who wants it so I can pass it on.

Unknown said...

I love this chest and the knobs look great!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks, Hallie! I just ordered my black quart too. You're right about black paint. :)

The Blushing Hostess said...

Totally agree, the little touches, like knobs are the keys to the kingdom and often the hardest to conceive!

Tammy518 said...

I love that beautiful chest, and the black looks great!

Sharing with Sherri said...

What a keen eye you have!! Your chest was beautiful to begin with, but that simple change to the knobs really made the black detail pop, and now it looks fabulous!!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Sherri:)

Cindy said...

Yes, the black knobs are excellent! Yes, I do that with my stuff all of the time. Sometimes I think I'm torturing myself but, afterwards, I am so happy so, not torture I guess...unless I have some problem.

Cal said...

What a difference those black knobs made. You hardly notice the rest of the black on the original, but these pull it all together. I'm so glad I have found your blog. I love your makeovers.
Cal :>

Mary said...

Rhoda, this is such a pretty piece and I do like the changed pulls. In my post today (Friday) you can see some lovely ones I found recently - they are such unusual muted shades of glass, I may have to go back for some!

kippy said...

That was an excellent idea! I was at Goodwill and something told me to buy a round marble cheese plate. I had no real need for it but gut instinct said to get it. A round metal vintage table that she didn't want. Inspiration-cheese plate same diameter as plain metal table top. Yes, the marble top looks great on the table!