Friday, July 10, 2009

Gardendale Antique Mall

IMG_5066

I had heard about the Gardendale Antique mall before and since I was on that side of town not too long ago, decided to stop in and check it out. It just got an OK on my antique mall scale, but was an enjoyable time of strolling and browsing. The fun of looking in an antique mall is you never know what you’ll spot.

IMG_5051

This pretty black hutch was already sold, but I checked the price tag and at $129 was a good bargain, I thought.

IMG_5052

Birdcage was $10.

IMG_5053

Plenty of old books.

IMG_5054

And some Jadite for those of you who collect this pretty green vintage stuff.

IMG_5055

Seems there is always a dealer who has tons of salt and pepper shakers available. I spotted a set that I have at home that I bought at an estate sale last year. See the top row, the cream and green cabbage leaves? I found those last year for $6 for the set. This one was $10 and not in as good condition as mine.

IMG_5056

Not a great pic of this dresser, but it was really pretty. I think it was $500+, not a steal.

IMG_5057

A set of old mixing bowls.

IMG_5058

I love the old covers of magazines. Check out what House Beautiful used to look like in the 30’s.

IMG_5059

This was a nice set of white Fiesta dishes, but I didn’t see a price on them.

IMG_5061

How about an old Hamilton Beach milkshake machine for over $300?

IMG_5062

Or an old manual IBM typewriter. Anyone else remember typing on these? I sure do!

IMG_5063

This Coach purse was about $13. I have a few of these that I’ve found at yardsales. You can’t beat the leather in a Coach.

IMG_5065

Pretty black chair with black/white paisley fabric. And so, what did I find at this one?

IMG_5072

Two more pieces of creamware for my growing collection that I already showed you previously, but here they are again. These were both found in different booths, but were $1 each. They could be a sugar and creamer set, they look so much alike. Petite in size and very cute.

I just love these old pottery pieces. And these little feet are adorable. This one might get a little plant in it. I’m really trying to buy older pieces these days and not bring home any more resin and Made in China things. Not that I don't still have some of that in my house , but I don’t want anymore. I just love the older things better and I'm on a mission to get rid of most of the mass produced things.

So, that was another fun time of browsing the antique malls. I probably won’t run back over to Gardendale just to shop this one, as we have some on my side of town that are just as good or better, but I’m glad I checked it out.

We're headed to Atlanta for a couple of days to celebrate my Dad's 82nd birthday. My sister wants to go yardsaling, so I may do that Saturday morning (found a promising estate sale listed in their Craigslist), since I've gotten her more interested in doing that too. Whether I find anything or not, I do have something else saved back I can share, so I'll still be here for the Thrifty Treasures party Sunday evening, so come on back for that!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love a trip to the antique store, real or bloggy. Just found your blog. Such lovely eye candy!

marie said...

The pine hutch is just like mine ~ but mine is still in a wood stain finish. I've been thinking about painting it black ~ thanks so much for the visual!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Glad you gave this place a "look see"....you never know what you might find. Great pictures, btw.
~Patti

Jennifer said...

Happy Friday Rhoda! =)
I love browsing through antique malls, but I do often find them a bit over priced. In the past I have found an occasional good deal at an antique store, but seem to find more treasures at yard sales and sometimes even the flea market.
You did find some pretty things. I love the dresser!

Have a great trip to Atlanta. Happy birthday to your father!

Blessings, Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

Puna said...

I like the avocado green typewriter. If it were cheap enough, I would buy it...blessings to you.

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

WOW! Looks like a fun place! That black hutch was a STEAL! I would never find a bargain like that down here. The price on the mixing bowl set was great too! I'd have to pay that for one of them!
I love your cream ware pieces. They go with everything and I completely agree with you about mass produced things.
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Rhoda!

When it was time to replace our dishes, we bought Fiesta ware, one place setting at a time. It's still made in the USA and the glaze is lead-free.

It looks like you had a great time at the antique mall. I loved the black hutch!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great photos! I liked the black hutch best, I think. The old House Beautiful magazines are too much! :) So cool. I love your new creamware! Have a fun trip!

Joanna said...

Oh I just love that black chair! I have some of those mixing bowls...Love them!

Lauren said...

ooohhh you just got me in the mood for my favorite antique mall!!! loveing those prices!!!

have a great weekend Rhoda!!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

wow, an antique mall. It's my idea of heaven!

Jboo said...

What a great place - thanks for sharing!

Have a fun weekend!

Janet

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Rhoda: I love the black hutch and at $129 that is a good deal! I also loved the black chair AND I saw a set of salt and pepper shakers I loved! I make a list of all of the places you tell us about and I am going to take a day (or two) and just hit'em all!

Have fun in Atlanta and Happy Birthday to your sweet daddy!

Lou Cinda :)

Amanda said...

WoW fun stuff! The black hutch was a steal! you wouldnt have to do anything to it-but then again where's the thrill of the makeover-tee hee! I just re-did our dining room talbe- girl that was a chore! I am still learning about rehabbing furniture- Poly, Shallack, Varnish, Stain, Gel Stain, Liquid sander, it makes my head spin- but in a fun way :-) Have a great weekend.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad, Rhoda! Sav=fe travels. I know you will enjoy your visit!

Beneath the Eaves said...

What deals-I wish I lived closer.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your family time.
Debra

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda!

I'm a lurker : ) but live in Warrior, just north of this Flea Market and we've been going there for years. And lately it has gone down in quality. It used to be a treasure trove! Did you drive just down the street to the other one (also on the right)? It looks kind of like a chicken house, and has no ac but I love digging through the old dusty stuff in there. It could just be that I love them because they're so familiar to me!

NicNacManiac said...

What a fun place. The black hutch and bird house are adorable. YOu scored with the pitcher!! WIsh your day a wonderful Happy Birthday!
Have fun, Hugs, Nerina :)

Blue Creek Home said...

Rhoda,
Sorry that the new place was disappointing. You just never know until you go. At least you have better ones close to you.
Happy B'day to your dad and I hope the estate sale is chocked full of inexpensive treasures!
Rhonda

HMaas said...

Thanks for taking us on a virtual anitique mall tour - I love the birdcage!!!

Runner Mom said...

That b/w chair caught my eye! I remember those typwriters as well!!!Mercy!

Hope y'all have fun celebrating your Daddy's b'day!! I am actually linking up with you on Sunday/Monday for your yard sale treasures! I found a yard sale going on this Wed.!!! And,I spent $$

Hugs,
susan

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for the tour. Have a good and a safe trip.
Glenda

Jenny said...

How fun! I love that milk shake set!

Have fun on your trip to Atlanta.

Becky K. said...

Have a great time with your family.

The hutch certainly seemed like a great deal...Loved the milkshake machine but the price was too steep for my wallet.

Enjoy your break.

Becky K.

Kristi said...

We went to that Antique mall last year on our trip around B'ham. I got the neatest old tool box. That was the big prize from our trip!

We've Got Scents said...

Even when you don't see them as great finds you seem to have the knack for finding some beautiful things. Sorry you weren't overly impressed:( But thankful you did find some things you liked!
Hope your Dad has a wonderful birthday. Praying for safe travels for you and enjoy your time shopping with your sister. Cannot wait to see what you run across:)
Blessings always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Bill said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for taking us on the tour. I'm also trying to focus on older dishes, etc. But ... sometimes these Made in China new ones are just too pretty to resist (especially if the price is right!). I did score some great old Johnson Bros. ironstone plates at GW recently. I'll use them in a tablescape very soon -- they're plain white & very versatile.

Hope your dad has a great birthday!
I wish I could meet you at that estate sale!!! Hope you'll do a post about it when you get home -- you know we'll all be waiting to see what you find!!!

Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

Sonja said...

Oh, what fun! I love shopping at little stores like that. :) That hutch was incredibly pretty for $129...I for sure would have wanted that. Over $500 for that dresser!?!??! Was it made of gold too? LOL. Pretty, but not that pretty. :-) I love Coach too! One of the best, in my opinion. :-D Glad you had fun. I love seeing the pictures of home. I've got a list going from your site of places I want to go see when we go back to visit or live or whatever. :-) Have a great weekend!!

Tracy Watier said...

Oooh, I would have snapped up that magazine cover in a heartbeart! And the solid yellow salt and pepper... and the big green platter... I think I need to go antique "malling" myself pretty soon!

Lynette said...

That hutch was incredible and so pretty!!
My mom and I went to the flea market this past weekend and saw a set of mixing bowls for about $60 - I thought she was going to pass out right there!! She said they were just like the old bowls she has at home - but hers are blue - she was too funny.

Loved your virtual shopping trip -

Happy Weekend and Happy Birthday to your dad - be safe -

The Blushing Hostess said...

You have such patience! These places are too overwhelming for me...

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! $129 for that wonderful black hutch? I almost passed out when I read that. I just got back from the Cottage Consignment Mall this morning--they had similar items, but nothing under $599 and not half as nice as the one on your post. You get such wonderful deals! Love the stuff you share! Sindy

grannyann said...

I like the items you found and took pics of. Around here our flea markets and antique malls want too much for their items.

Marie said...

Hello Rhoda - what a fabulous antique mall! I absolutely love that milkshake machine. How fun is that! Thank you for sharing these great photos.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Cindy said...

Thank you for taking me along to the antique store. Here I sit in my living room, all rested and have already gotten my fix today. Thanks again!

Christina said...

Looks like a fun place. What wonderful things.

Have fun in our fair city!

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would say hi and will see you Sunday. I have been to three GW's in my area in the last 2 days - will have lots to share. . . Have a great weekend!

Love the hutch you pictured.

kathi said...

I've been thinking about going out to Gardendale. My mother had one of those Hamilton Beach milkshake mixers! It was from my dad's pharmacy up in Ohio. I don't know what happened to it... Thanks for the memory!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

That was fun! Thanks for taking us along. The hutch was really priced well. Happy Birthday to your Dad! Have fun tomorrow and happy hunting!

midnight macaroons said...

Wow!!! That's it, I'm moving to Birmingham!!! Tell me, did you buy the birdcage? I would have snagged that in a second for $10. I really like the cream pottery pieces too. I recently went to a garage sale where the lady sold her Franciscan "Apple" serving pieces and plates (set for twelve) for $50!!! I tried to snag it as fast as I could but I'd have to fight an old grandma for it. It wouldn't have been too Christ like to beat down grandma so I let her keep them. I couldn't believe the deal or should I say steal she got.

cotedetexas said...

I like your creamware, but I might have gotten that jadeite. that was pretty cute and so was that green Hamilton machine! but sooo expensive!!!!!

Ms Jackie's Junque said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! My husband's family lives in Warrior. When we visit them I always try to sneak in a visit to this place and always find wonderful stuff. So---I'm thinking it's time to go see the family again! :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hi Rhoda ~ I've put aside an award for you over at my blog! : )

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Sometimes you just have to satisfy curiosity and find out what a mall will be like. Enjoy your weekend!

Nancy

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Rhoda!

So many of the bloggie gals have hutches I've been giving it some thought for the cottage....I loved that black one. And, the 500 dollar chest. No, not a steal, but I LOVED it....

Have a wonderful weekend,

Hugs,
Spencer

Mary said...

Rhoda, Wish your father a big Happy Birthday for me! Be sure you post a pic of the goods from his garden that I know you will be sent home with!
I would have bought the birdcage...10$ was a steal! The chest was gorgeous but overpriced. I love markets like that because you never know what you will find. Nice creamware too..

Christie said...

I love Jadite, but I've never seen pieces like those before- very cool!