Sunday, December 28, 2008

Handmade Christmas Gifts

IMG_3695

My niece, Lauren, has become a thrifter like her Auntie, I think and found her namesake on wood at a local thriftstore, so of course it came home with her. Oh, and I should have taken the Before pic, as it was extremely cutesy in turquoise and yellow, just right for a little Lauren. But, not so good for 26 year old Lawyer Lauren. So, she handed it over to me when I was home last and said….fix this. She knows I’m good for a makeover and had no idea what I’d do with it, so leopard print tissue paper to the rescue. That and black spray paint did wonders.

IMG_3698

So, for Christmas this year, I decided to do handmade for my sister and niece. Hobby Lobby had their unfinished wood pieces on sale and that prompted me to grab up the necessary things to make one of these plaques that I’ve seen around blogland in the last few months, starting here at Joy’s (she has some great ideas & projects). I think many more bloggers have made them too, so I certainly cannot take credit for this, but I’m so not above stealing copying great ideas! And this is one of them! Simple wood plaque and letter spray painted black. Decoupage scrapbook paper to the front, glue on the letter, and you’re done! I added the polkadots with my leftover laundry room paint. Used the end of a large magic marker cap. Lauren loves pink and green, so this paper was perfect. Do you recognize it from my Christmas tin?

IMG_3697

The “S” is for my sister, her last name with a little more elegant look to it. So I hope they will enjoy them, a sweet and simple handmade gift, perfect for any time of the year.

Don't forget Wednesday, January 7th will be our Top Before and After Projects of 2008 party! Come back on Tuesday for all the details.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

45 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas - thanks for sharing. Also, thanks for posting your Date Ball recipe. Also being born in the south my grandma made these every year at Christmas as did my mom. However, after my mom passed away my sister and I have searched high and low for this recipe and cannot find it anywhere. So thanks to YOU, we have it again! I think my mom rolled the date balls in shredded coconut instead of powdered sugar. Thanks again!

Angie said...

So cute I love them! I just made some that are similar with canvases, but I like these too! Have a great week!

Terri Steffes said...

I could start making these now for next year! I'll be watching my Hobby Lobby for sales!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Your letter plaques turned out so cute. I have made several of those...they're so fun and easy, and they do make great gifts! Can't wait for the before and after party...I'm a junkie when it comes to fresh new ideas! Thanks for sharing.

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

These look great. I know they will enjoy them.

Wishes to you for a happy new year.

Melanie said...

I like this! I've never decoupaged but I suppose the directions are on the "glue"?
Melanie@Bella~Mella

akawest said...

Your letter plaques are adorable. I will be stealing the idea.

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

So Pretty! Happy New Year!

xoxo,
Cathleen

ksarra said...

Your after Christmas sale items are great. And I LOVE the handmade gift ideas. You did a wonderful job on those!

Blondie's Journal said...

I love the letter plaques. Did you distress the "S"? Also, do you put any type of clear varnish over finished project? I think this would make a beautiful housewarming gift for someone to put in their foyer!
Jane

Nadine said...

What a nice idea. They came out really pretty.

P.S. My first novel is now available on Amazon. To celebrate I'm having a giveaway. Stop by if you have a chance.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, these are just darling! Love them!

Wanted to stop by and tell you that I tried your Dingbats (Date Balls) at a party I gave today, and they were a BIG hit! Thank you for sharing that recipe. :-)

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

How pretty. Love them

Beth at Aunties said...

You found some beauties for your aftr Christmas sales!
Lauren's name does look all grown up now... it is amazing what some black paint along with your talents can do. They should really enjoy their gifts♥

The Muse said...

I would so love those myself! great job!

sandra/tx said...

Great job, Rhoda. I've seen those letter plaques, too.

You found some great after Christmas deals. I've found a few things for next year, too.

Tracy said...

Too cute Rhoda! I know they loved them! Thanks for sharing them with us.
Have a great week!
Tracy

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Love that leopard print tissue paper. Where did you find it? I found some at Michael's but it wasn't exactly like that. It has a white background instead of the brown and just didn't look right.

Blessings,

Sher

KM Studios said...

great gift Ideas Rhoda!
I'll have to try & remember this for birthdays!
Cant wait to come back for the projects party!
I have been working on a few of my own already for 09.
HAve a great New Year!

Anonymous said...

morning Rhoda, goodness you're good, need I really say more?!

love it

Sarah

tigerchick said...

Rhoda, even the close up version is perfect. I have never decoupaged. Could you tell me exactly how you affixed the paper on the wood plaque? I would like to do this but don't understand exactly what you did.
Melanie

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I LOVE these gifts!! I will have to give this idea a try! I've never thought about it but what a great idea! Your so talented!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Melanie (Greg), I dont' see a blog for you, so I hope you come back to see this.

Decoupage is about the easiest thing you can do. It's really just glue. all I did was brush on the Mod Podge glue to the black wood plaque, cut out the scrapbook paper to fit it, lay it down and press to get out any bubbles. Let it dry well, then I went back over the top of the paper with decoupage. Glued on the letter with craft glue and that is it. I did use a little Rub N Buff on the S letter (in Spanish Copper). It's a great color to use on black to add some dimension.

That's it! Truly a very easy project. Doesn't take long at all.

savvycityfarmer said...

I think you've started something here...that reminds me I haven't been to the thrift shop in weeks.....tata

oliveoyl64 said...

I made an almost identical version of your "S" plaque for my sis's b-day. My paper is black with white design. I will see is she can send me a pic since I don't tend to take pics of my finished gifties.

You know, great minds think alike.:)

Unknown said...

Great gift ideas! I'm sure those who received them, loved 'em! Thanks for sharing!

the voice of melody said...

So pretty and unique!

Rick said...

A "thrifter" huh? I accuse my wife of having an affair with some guy named Clarence when she goes shopping. She's always looking for him. Must be a sailor of some kind because he's always on sail.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty gifts. I think the black and white one would be my favorite.
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

That is very cute! I may have to make a few of these as late Christmas/New Year's gifts for some relatives. :)

Unknown said...

They look great! Can't wait for your party!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Well, my initials are LS so I loved this post that much more. :-)

We did a almost all of our holiday gift buying from crafty people (etsy, crafty shows, etc.) and we all -- boys and girls -- found it fun to receive handmade gifts. Thanks for sharing yours!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

And p.s. -- saw your comnment and I always forget to ask where your stepson is a chef! Next time you swing by you'll have to let me know...I'm always up for new eating adventures. :-)

Decor To Adore said...

These are adorable!

The Muse said...

Greetings Rhoda...lol I just read what you had written about yourself...that you helped others feather their nests :) our cottage is called The Painted Nest :)

So happy to have you drop by my blog...and to comment with such kindness~thank you very much!

I hope I can visit your blog often...It feels inspiring!

Angie said...

You did a great job on those plaques! I know I sure would love to get one as a gift!

Anonymous said...

What great gifts! I bet they were the hit of the party. Looks like yall had a great christmas. We did too but kind of glad it quiet here for now. Till New Years that is. Take care and enjoy that family!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Great gift, I love them! :)

Barn House said...

These really turned out great! We sure wish we could share the recipe for that pomegranate "glazed" ham...but it's sort of a concoction that originated from a pomegranate-lacquered roast turkey recipe we got out of County Living Magazine a few years back. We used the leftover sauce to create the glaze...but it's absolutely delicious. :o)
http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/pomegranate-lacquered-roast-turkey-rbk1107?click=main_sr

Enjoy! Now how about that black-eyed pea recipe???

J & J

Anonymous said...

Rhonda would you mind sharing your laundry room color?

Thanks
Amanda

kari and kijsa said...

Here's to a joyful Christmas and a Happy New Year!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Amanda, I don't know if you'll see this or not, but my laundry room color is by Behr & is Grasscloth. You can find it at Home Depot.

Wendy said...

Cute gifts! Love 'em!

Anonymous said...

I love all of your creativity......your projects are so nice. I will keep coming to visit your blog.

Chelsey said...

Rhonda,
Mind if I copy this idea??