Sunday, April 19, 2009

Kitchen Updates

Kitchen cabinet

Many of you asked to see the cabinet when it was all stocked up with dishes, so I’ve been moving things around. I’m enjoying the new cabinet SO much and it’s nice to have the extra storage and display space for my green Bordallo dishes. I should have thought about this a long time ago! What took me so long? These pics were all taken at night so you can see how pretty the lights look inside the cabinet.

I knew I'd get questions on the wall color: It's Laura Ashley Olive 4 from Lowes.

IMG_4584

The breakfast area of the kitchen. The granite is not done yet, hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will get moving on that. Everything is chosen and ready to go, just have to get moving on it.

IMG_4586

I was really happy that HUGE fruit platter fit up in the top of the cabinet. That piece goes with my Macy’s set of fruit dishes that is stored in my French cupboard. So, here I added some green Bordallo dishes and a few of my white pieces. And of course, some bunnies had to find their way in here.

IMG_4587

These bunnies were popular a few years ago, but I haven’t seen them lately. They are crackled and glazed and look like Old world bunnies.

IMG_4585

That large metal fruit tray on top, I’ve had a long time.

IMG_4590

So glad I added the lights.

IMG_4729

This little oil painting is a yardsale find for $1.00 and the plate I found years ago at a home store somewhere.

IMG_4591

A lime green thriftstore teapot mixes in well with my dishes.

IMG_4592

This little bunny on a plate is such a delicate piece and also made by Bordallo.

IMG_4593

Here are the Old World bunnies up close. I have a few made like this and found most of them at TJ Maxx or Marshalls a few years ago.

IMG_4595

The big bunny holding the carrot is from the same line. See the bunny lamp with the shade? I found that one years ago at a yardsale and I still remember it was $7. It’s made of iron, I think and I dearly love the little thing. Covered the shade in one of my window treatment fabrics.

IMG_4730

Yardsale clock and an original watercolor that Grandma Eleanor gave us. It was done by a local Birmingham man, who was her art teacher years ago. He's really good.

Bunny lamp

Bunny lamp sitting on a Bordallo cakestand.

IMG_4737

That pear print was a Homegoods find many years ago too.

IMG_4738

IMG_4597

Many of you are new and won’t know that I found this chandelier at a yardsale in 2007 for $20. I was ecstatic over that one! And if you’d like to read more about this French cupboard, click here for an old post.

The granite project is still on, but my hubby wanted to take our time and not rush into it since this is a costly endeavor, but we’ll be moving forward with it this week and first up will be ordering the sink (please, soon as I’m more than ready to get started!). He’s also less than enthusisatic with the demolition process and the disruption to our daily kitchen life for a few days. I’m talking him through it and have promised he will not miss any meals. :) To say I’m excited about it is an understatement and I can hardly wait to get rid of the old tile. I hope to have this done in a few weeks.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

73 friends stopped by:

Erin said...

fabulous project! Thanks so much for visiting my blog's 100th post give~away! Hugs, Erin

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Lookin' good Rhoda! You should see my kitchen!! I have no counters and no doors on any of the lower cabinets. It's a mess, but at least we worked on it this weekend!! I also got the sink & faucet ordered. Hope to get the granite ordered this week as well as the new fridge. Can't wait to see your granite!!

The Bliss Journey said...

A beautiful room indeed. Everything looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Kathleen

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

The room looks beautiful!!! I love the window treatments. Your corner cabinet turned out great!! I know you are proud of it. You are such an inspiration! Love & blessings from NC!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Looks great! Love all the paintings and the bunny lamp is adorable!

julie & joe said...

It looks beautiful!!! I received a yellow Bordallo cake stand in an Easter swap this year. I would love to find more pieces.

Amber Schmidt said...

I am absolutely smitten with the zebra accessories! I have been dying to get one of those amazing rugs like you won for my kitchen. Just redid our kitchen in black cabinets and GREEN and had been trying to decide black and white damask or zebra... I think I like zebra!

Jill said...

Everything looks great. Had to laugh about the ra! ra! with hubby for the new countertops. I just did one of those for refinishing stair treads and getting a new carpet runner this coming week. He'll love it when it's over and done with and he won't even remember the torn up kitchen....it will look so pretty!

Suzann said...

I love the cabinet and the whole room is stunning!

From the Old InkWell said...

BEAUTIFUL! You didn't explain the backing to the cupboard, but looks like burlap that you stenciled words to. Just stunning!

Blessings, Marsha

Sara F. said...

You have such a gift for putting everything together and making it work! It's just beautiful!

Jess said...

Everything looks GREAT!!
Just BEAUTIFUL!!!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful kitchen! I love the colors you have used in there.

Thanks for sharing!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Rhoda, the new cupboard is just gorgeous. I love all the bordello that you display inside. You have a great knack for displaying things in such a beautiful manner. The dining area is just gorgeous. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

Lori E said...

Oh those bunnies. I love the old world crackle. I just wonder where you store all of your stuff in the off seasons? You must need a second home. You could use mine and I will just pretend it is Spring in October.

The Tattered Cottage said...

Rhoda -
Love the cupboard and the bordello dishes, simply beautiful. And you got the chandy for $20???? What a great find. Lovin the bunny lamp too. :)
Toni

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I just love, love your style! I think I may have just as many bunnies in my house as you do. ;)

Jenny said...

Everything looks great! What a lovely room!

OKGardners said...

Everything is looking great - just as I expected. :) Every decision you have made is PERFECT!
Can't wait to see the other completed projects.l

Betty in Oklahoma

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Ms. Rhoda, you never cease to amaze me. Everything you touch is instantly beautiful. The corner cabinet looks stunning with all your precious dishes and bunnies, and yes...the lights are the icing on the cake!

Just wanted to let you know I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog. I'm finally opening an etsy shop. something I've dreamed about for years. Needless to say, I am soooo excited about it! Thanks so much for your friendship and support.

~Amanda

Brittany said...

Your cabinet is beautiful! You did a great job on it!

Patricia said...

Rhoda
Looking at your updates always make me smile
You are such an inspiration to me!

Dream Mom said...

It looks great!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

So pretty, warm and cozy! Love it!

Angie said...

Everything looks gorgeous! I am so jealous of all your Bordallo dishes and cute bunnies!

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

Love it! Everything is so pretty! I so want a corner cabinet and am on the hunt for one.

cotedetexas said...

the cabinet looks so great! I love the lights in it - it probably looks so pretty when you keep the lights on in the cabinet for the night - and turn out all the other lights! anyway- I see you in the window!!! haha
can't wait to see the granite. tell hubby not to worry about the downtime. when we put in the marble I was shocked by how quickly it went - they actually took out the tile and installed the marble in the same day. unreal. it was so quick and easy I was like - why didn't I do this years before? can't wait to see it all finished.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Everything in this room has "RHODA" written all over it! Absolutely fabulous, dear Rhoda! The cabinet was wonderful empty and looks wonderful accessorized now, too. The color palette you've used works beautifully. You do the details of a room so well. (I get about 85% done and stop there - lol!) I love the watercolor still life.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

This was just a wonderful post, I so enjoyed seeing all your lovely decorating ideas and finds. Cindy

The Blushing Hostess said...

Very pretty - all that hard work paid off. Be well, The Hostess

Lissaloo said...

I love all the green goodies!

Unknown said...

Rhoda, it looks beautiful. We went through a kitchen re-do last year. I guarantee you, the mess will be worth it. Thank you for sharing.

Daisy Cottage said...

Oh Rhoda everything looks beautiful - and fresh - and fun! Your kitchen is so welcoming and I wish I could share a cup of coffee or two in there with you!!!
Love,
Kim

One Shabby Old House said...

Just beautiful Rhonda. Your amazing finds should inspire us all to go out hunting on the weekends.
I know that I love to.
Hugs
Becky

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

It looks great! I love the oil painting and wanted to give you the chance to double your money... I will give you two bucks for it! LOL

Kathi said...

Everything is beautiful! Love that bunny lamp! So cute! Your "new" corner cabinet is so pretty - love the lights! I'm drawn to your window treatments and that rod! I had a disappointing weekend with my window project. I like how you used the wooden holders and rod.
Thanks for another great idea!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Thanks for having us in your kitchen Rhoda! Everything is so inviting. I love all the crackled bunnies and plates. Crackled plates are my thing! I am itching to hit some yard sales, just never have the time anymore. GRRRRR!

~Misti

Becky said...

Your cabinet turned out FABULOUS! Girl, you are soooo talented!

I have a question for you. I have the same placemats as you. Do you wash yours? If so, how? Mine need cleaned so bad, but I'm afraid they might fall apart if I put them in the washing machine.

Kelly Bergsing said...

Your kitchen looks so beautiful!! I really like the way your cabinet turned out!! The fabrics are warm and friendly and the bunnies just make me smile.... ;)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Great pics. I particularly love the bunny lamp and the chandelier.

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Oh that cabinet looks like it's been there forever - perfect! Hope you have a fabulous week.
Blessings,
Sandy

Southern Savvy said...

That room must make you smile every morning! I love the cabinet! It turned out beautifully! We're moving to another town in a couple of months so I had to put the breaks on decorating. I can't wait to get started again. In the meantime, I love looking at all of your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Love, Love, Love it, Rhoda! It's perfect right there. :)

Cathy said...

The cabinet turned out beautiful and I do love what you put it in. I can't wait to see your kitchen. I know you are so excited!

{{Big Hugs}}

Cathy

jeanne said...

Rhoda, I am so glad I could stop over today to see your kitchen makeover coming along. I love it all. Especially the back of your corner cabinet. It looks great and is a WOW of an idea. Your dishes and bunnies are a great addition to your decor. My daughter collects them and I will share them soon. The iron bunny lamp would make my daughter very envious. BIG smile. She too has the green cabbage plates. It is all good, a beautiful look.

Hugs...Jeanne

connie said...

I really like the window treatment in the breakfast room. I don't believe you have written about it, so-o-o did you make it, buy it, etc. Please share.

Joanna said...

Fabulous! Of course all your decor is fabulous! *smiles*

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Love your corner cabinet, the burlap back drop to darling! You really do have a flair! Bunnies and Zebra, and it all works!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Unknown said...

Rhonda,
Your finished cabinet looks wonderful in that corner. I so love your decor. I have done my kitchen in a French Country style...but using more golds and reds...so its fun to see who others do theirs! It all looks so warm and inviting!

Have a blessing week!
Lorena

Hillcrest Acres said...

Beautiful! I love the fabric of the window treatments and chair cushions. Please share where you got that stunning fabric.

KM Studios said...

that cabinet has got the Rhoda touch!!! & it is devine!!!

Can I ask you where you got your curtains sconces?
I have been looking for a good pair here in the Philly area & I am at my wits end. Can't seem to find them anywhere.
I wonder if you got them online?

Anyway, glad i stoped in & I hope the Kitchen counter project goes smoothly. Once we got granite, we never looked back.

RHONDA CARTER said...

rHODA-FOUND YOUR THROUGH tHE kATILLAC SHACK--LOVE IT HERE!

Justabeachkat said...

It all looks good Rhoda. Isn't it fun to stand back after a project and just enjoy?!

Hugs!
Kat

Jill said...

So pretty!!!- LOVE the "zebra" touches! :)

Bebe Quinn said...

Charming! I am over from The Katillac Shack! Kelee recommended you!

Hudson Goods said...

you know I love anything black, the room looks great!

Sandra Schwab said...

Your kitchen looks great, Rhoda, and the cabinet turned out just wow! It's fantastic! You've done a wonderful job.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I loved seeing the updates! That corner cabinet is a gem!

We're still talking over the new floor at the condo. I'm not sure we'll get the job done, until Fall now. We're here at the lake. J is at the dock. We just arrived a little over an hour ago, for a few days. I think he would like to wait on the floor, because the crappie are biting!;-)

Looking forward to more about the countertops, etc.

Linda in AZ * said...

* LOVE that I get an E-mail telling me when a FAV has posted...

* LOVE that you took a CHARMING duckling & turned it into a BEAUTIFUL n' GRACIOUS SWAN...

* LOVE all that you did to create a warm, loving space...

* LOVE the bunny lamp and the TO-DIE-FOR SHADE that just makes Mr. Bunny "HOP"!!!...

* LOVE & am so grateful that you share so much!

THANK YOU, Rhoda ~ for ALL the delights you provide that put smiles on our faces!

And, FINALLY........
..."LOVE, Linda"...*

Kristi said...

Just gorgeous! I always love looking at your home. Hope you get your kitchen counters soon!

kelee Katillac said...

Hi Rho:

Love your yardsale oil paintings!! What a great eye you have!!

love,kelee

the pleasures of homemaking said...

The corner cabinet looks great filled with your dishes! Loved the covered magazine boxes too!

Manuela

Tammy518 said...

I love seeing all the dishes in your new cabinet. Everything just blends so well together. I'm glad you're finally getting your granite. You will love it! It's so nice to be able to set a hot pot right out of the oven on it. I don't ever want to be without granite again.

Tommie Jo said...

It looks beautiful~I like your style!
Please stop by & enter my GIVEAWAY! www.tjssweethome.blogspot.com

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home said...

Rhoda, it was so much fun watching the transformation of your corner cupboard from the floor of the antique mall where you purchased it, the paint job, the burlap backing, and now to see it in your beautiful home filled with your lovely dishes and rabbits, etc. Well done!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Wow your good. I love everything in the room. From the bunnies to the zebra placemats...very eclectic and yet it works beautifully. The corner cabinet is gorgeous. I'm really inspired by the burlap backing and the herb words...your just good!!

3 Sweet Teas and Me said...

Tell me about your floors. Type of wood? Stain color? Anything you know about them! :)

Katie said...

You AMAZE ME!!I think your blog is my favorite decorating blog. Your style is really nice and your so good at displays. I found similar bunnies at Hobby Lobby this year. Take Care <><

dana said...

Dear Rhoda: I have loved you ever since I first found your blog about a year ago. You are a wonderful decorator and you are so terrific to share your thrift ideas with us in that area. However, YOU just elevated yourself another 25 notches, in my book, for the great post you did on the Tea Party. God bless you for sharing that with us. You're terrific. L, Dana

PS Happy Earth Day.

Melissa Lester said...

Your kitchen is so pretty! I also collect those Bordallo dishes. I have to check TJ Maxx each time I pass, just in case they have some. And, of course, you never know what other treasures you might find.

I enjoyed hearing highlights of your Atlanta trip a few months back from Judy. Her granddaughter and my daughter take ballet together, so I run in to Judy's daughter nearly every week. It sounds like it was a fabulous trip!

Just wanted to let you know I've enjoyed stopping by here today!

Ashley McWhorter said...

Beautiful kitchen! I love the color. Oh, and I love the idea of putting a lamp on a cake stand. Brilliant idea!! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Carri said...

I love your wall color and the cabinet is beautiful! The chandelier is too cool...and even better because it was such a find! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle T said...

I really like the colors you used. The wall color is so pretty. I also loved the bunny lamp!