Thursday, June 18, 2009

Antiques shopping with a friend

IMG_5575

My friend, Judy from Gracious Southern Living, came up to Birmingham from Montgomery last Friday for a day of shopping and lunch. Judy and I met two years ago when she started reading my blog and emailing me. We became fast friends and finally got to meet up in person last year. We totally hit if off and I wish she lived here so we could get together more often. She has a son here in Birmingham as well as grandchildren, so gets up here pretty often and we always have a great time together. This day was no exception. It’s always fun to browse the antique stores with a fellow hunter who loves bargains and vintage as much as I do. We hit a couple of them, with lunch at Chic-Fil-A and made a day of it. I don’t think either of us bought anything, but it was fun looking!

Someone mentioned my top, so I have to come back and tell you this. I found it a couple of weeks ago of course, when I was yardsaling. For $1! and the cropped pants I already had (not Lili's though). I'm so drawn to this lime green color and have found so many things in it from the yardsales.

IMG_5569

This is at the Hoover Antiques Gallery, a great place to look. They seem to have more upscale things and French and English collectibles. This is where I found my great chest of drawers last year.

IMG_5570

This was a beautifully redone bedroom collection that has been painted black and distressed. We both loved it! Gorgeous Frenchy set.

IMG_5571

I loved how this rice bed had been painted black too. What an update for an old classic!

IMG_5572

Another beautiful old headboard.

IMG_5573

How about this Empire chandelier, I think that’s what it is.

IMG_5574

And this is Robyn’s booth, who I met at the Preserve Jazz Fest. Hope she does well with it!

IMG_5576

Beautiful barley-twist leg table.

IMG_5577

Old shabby aqua cabinet. Prices here are pretty steep.

IMG_5580

Loved the way this one was painted.

IMG_5581

Birdcage

IMG_5582

So pretty aqua tole platter. I just love this color, but sure don’t need to start another collection. I already have black.

IMG_5583

Old shabby cabinet.

IMG_5584

Aqua lamp. Can you tell how popular this color is right now? It’s everywhere.

IMG_5550

Now, moving on to Consigning Interiors in Pelham, this place is a treasure trove too, with very affordable shabby pieces. Lots of vendors in here and a very popular spot for antiquing. In fact, I was in there a few weeks ago and met one of my readers, Elizabeth, who has a booth in here. She was so sweet and gave me a green plate to go with my collection. Thank you and the other ladies there who read my blog! I told her I would be back to do a post on this fun place.

IMG_5551

IMG_5552

IMG_5553

IMG_5554

IMG_5555

IMG_5556

IMG_5557

IMG_5558

IMG_5559

IMG_5560

IMG_5562

IMG_5563

IMG_5565

IMG_5566

IMG_5567

IMG_5568

Prices in Consigning Interiors are very reasonable. If you get a chance to check out either of these places, do! You’ll really enjoy it.

Thanks, Judy for another fun day of shopping! I'll look forward to the next one.

On a special note: Today is mine and Peter's 4th wedding anniversary. If you'd like to take a peek back at our anniversary 2 years ago and how we met, click here for some wedding pics. We have a special dinner out planned tonight and I heard something about flowers arriving here at our house today. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

65 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful evening out.

duchess said...

Happy Anniversary!
Loved looking at those pictures. Beautiful stuff.

Kathi said...

Happy Anniversary!
I love the photos today! Beautiful things! That white china cabinet looks like mine. Well, mine WILL look like that, after it is painted! Haven't been to Consigning Interiors. Will have to check it out!

Pam said...

Here's wishing you both a very Happy Anniversary! Enjoy today!

Mabry's Gamma said...

Rhoda and Peter,

HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY AND MANY MANY MORE! Have a wonderful evening tonight.

Judy told me about that store in Pelham and I will have to check it out when I come down to B'ham.

Cheri

Judy said...

Well, as you can probably tell, I haven't even had time this week to post my photos plus I caught a "bug" and have been down and out here at home for a few days! I always love getting together with you and always look forward to the next time. So happy we met and have become "true" friends.

Happy anniversary and ya'll have a great date!

Judy

Becky K. said...

Happy Anniversary to you both.

The second grouping of photos were my favorite. I love the white and pinks together. My home does not reflect that, however. I have creams, blues and burgundy.

marmielu said...

Hi, Rhoda! What a fun day it looks like you had, and how nice to have a kindred spirit to share it with. I really enjoyed browsing. That bedroom set was incredible!
Happy anniversary, and have a wonderful day celebrating!
Mary Lou

Still Learning said...

Happy Anniversary!! I hope you two have a wonderful evening out celebrating. I love Anniversaries, they are so loey dovey.

I really enjoyed the shopping trip. How could you stand not to buy something? So many pretty things. It looks like lots of fun.

Jennifer

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Happy Anniversary!

I loved the tour with you. What beautiful things. As much as I love them, I can never afford antique shop prices. And there's also such a wonderful sense of satisfaction to be had from just junking and beautifying it yourself, don't you think. I guess that why shabby chic and junking started.

Leslie said...

Happy Anniversary!
Thanks for the great pics...it feels as though I was along on your trip! You're right, that aqua is everywhere...I love it though because my china is a Franciscan Pattern from the 1950's called Dawn. It's aqua with a platinum ring.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Happy Anniversary, Rhoda! :) Hope your day is special.

I loved all the pictures you posted today. Shopping with a friend is always more fun than going alone (or with two cranky children). ;)

ursula said...

Happy anniversary!!! Loved the pictures...the furniture is gorgeous, but I must add that I LOVE your outfit! The shape of the top is very flattering, and are those Lilly pants? Very cute!

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda,

There are just TOO many beautiful things at these antique shops to mention!! I agree; aqua has been popping up all over. I fell in love with the chandelier and all of the cabinets. The raised wheat pattern on the first four poster bed you showed is the exact same pattern on my bed...

How nice to meet so many ladies through your blog! :-)

Happy Anniversary to you & Peter!!

xoxo
Jane

Shannon said...

Lovely finds, even if you didn't take any home with you! Happy Anniversary!

Kimberly said...

Happy Anniversary! Hubs and I celebrated our 4th anniversary on May 28th; how cool that you and I are keeping pace with each other :)

Betty said...

Rhoda,
Congratulations to you and Peter...I wish you many, many more years of happiness together...

Tomorrow, June 19th, Edward and I will be married 49 years...we were married on Father's Day 1960....

Blessings,
Betty

Tammy said...

Hi Rhoda,
Happy Anniversary have a great evening and enjoy those "flowers" that are coming. :)
Love the shops you showed - wish I could go shopping with you but with all the great things you showed I'd need a trailer to bring it all home.

tammy

Diane said...

Happy Anniversary!! Love your blog, by the way. Long time reader, first time commenter.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Happyt anniversary! Thanks for sharing your shopping trip.
Glenda

Missy Wertz said...

I love that store. They used to be in an old skating rink up the road from City Hall. That was torn down a couple of years ago and a storage rental building built. I think I like the new location better. It used to be a furniture store.

The last time I went there, they had a marble lamp just like one my mom has. I think it was $250. I never told her that her lamp was in an antique store for $250. LOL!

Happy Anniversary!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Happy Anniversary. I hope you have a great day and many many more. What a fun day with a friend and fellow blogger. The shops you featured looked like great fun. Loved it. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I just spent thousands of virtual dollars looking at all this great stuff! Thanks for taking us shopping with you. : ) I really like the items at Consigning Interiors - so many things that would go with the color of my bedroom! I hope you do wind up doing that post; I'd love to see more.

Farmgirl Paints said...

My favorite things to do spend time with friends and antiquing. What a fun day.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! And, after this post, I NEED to drive to Pelham. I live in northern AL. I'm calling a friend to meet me at Consigning Interiors. Thanks for all your wonderful posts. I read it every day.
Margaret

Feedsack Fantasy said...

May romance & joy fill your anniversary celebration. Congrats!

Love your posts. TTFN ~Marydon

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved the pics of your day out with Judy. Lovely booths!

Nancy

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Happy Anniversary!!
I would love to have all of that furniture in my home!!
Hope you have a great day and enjoy your Anniversary.
Blessings,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

((Happy anniversary)) Hope you have a wonderful day!!!
Looks like you Ladies had fun at that beautiful store, I'm just a tad jealous....I saw quite a few things that I like, and was wondering if it would be ok if I e-mailed my shopping list...LOL!!
Thanks for sharing, Jannet ; )

The Tattered Cottage said...

Happy Anniversary!! Thanks for taking us all along with you on your shopping trip ;) Beautiful things....and you're right that aqua color is everywhere and Is such a pretty color. Have a great evening.
Toni

Robyn said...

Thanks for the mention, Rhoda. We will have all get together soon!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

First of all, Happy Anniversary!! I cannot believe it's been 4 years. Seems like yesterday!

Loved seeing your antiquing day with Judy. This looks like another beautiful store!

HMaas said...

Have a great Anniversary!!! I just love the pictures you posted it is like a little treasure for the eyes.

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Rhoda,
You are so fortunate to have girlfriends to go antiquing and thriting with. None of my girlfriends are interested, although my mom loves to go, so that's always special.

grannyann said...

What great items you showed at the stores!! I loved so many of them. That bright lime green cabinet looks just like my dark avocado green one that I got at a church garage sale. I put it in my bathroom. Its shape is great for a small room.

Katie said...

That looks like a GREAT antique mall! I'm seeing all kinds of furniture I "need." Haha! A couple years ago, my husband and I drove down to Birmingham (we're in Atlanta) because he had a business meeting down there, and I had researched all sorts of antique places. Well, I kept plugging in addresses of these antique malls and shops into the navigation system. To begin with, I'm TERRIBLE at directions, etc. I didn't find a SINGLE antique place!!! All day long, all I did was drive around LOST! THE WHOLE DAY!!!! Finally, when he was done, he helped me find one antique mall and I had only half an hour to get through it. I was running through their, my eyes just barely getting to see everything. I was so disappointed!!! Next time I travel there, I'm going to email you to get the details on some good ones I should visit! Haha!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Happy Anniversary to you & your hubby!!! I too am a June bride. My 3rd wedding anniversary was on the the 3rd. Have a fun night out! And thanks for sharing the antiquing photos. Saw some things I would love. Lucky for my wallet that I'm too far away to buy.

Steph said...

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the pics. Love those cabinets with the stripes painted on them.

Jill said...

Looks like y'all had a wonderful time! I love a good antiques shopping day. And Happy Anniversary! I didn't realize (or had forgotten is probably more like it) that you have been married under 5 years! You two love birds are still sorta-kinda newlyweds! ha!

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhoda,

I wish you and Peter many,many more happy years.

Mine was on Tuesday, I too was a June bride, Hubby is away on business.

Debra over at the Bunnies Bugalow is having a give-away...thought I'd give you the 411 :)

Have a nice night,
Kathy :)

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary! And what a fun day of shopping with your blogging friend. I've always like Aqua and it sure is turning up a lot in antique stores these days, isn't it? Hmmm...I'm thinking it's time to paint a room aqua!!!!!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

What a nice day you must have had seeing such pretty things! I love the transferware-that's what I always look for! Thank you for your answer regarding the "lion" tables...I will take your advice and eventuually show you!
Have a wonderful anniversary!
~Nancy

Dirt Princess said...

If you ever go to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach (which I am sure you do). YOu should stop in Foley at HOOD's. It is a big tan block building before you go through downtown Foley. You would have a hey day in there!

Sandra said...

Happy Anniversary Rhoda! How fun to go shopping with a blogging friend! I love all the pictures! I see some red and white transferware that i'd like to have too!
Blessings,
Sandra

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Wow, some really beautiful stuff there. How do you keep from taking it all????

Anonymous said...

OH what fun and you don't always have to buy something...it's just fun looking, finding and sharing with your friend. My friends and I are heading to Adamstown, PA (our second trip, shops up and down the street, we ran out of time the first trip).

And, Happy Anniversary to you as well!!!!!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Can we go Antique Shopping together - you find the best items. I hardly find the time - I can just imagine my two 3 1/2 yr old daughters breaking something! I will definitely look at Hoover Antiques without the girls!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Looks like fun! I love those things. Especially the chippy dressers and that chandelier is delicious!

Hope you are having a wonderful summer so far!

XOXO
Jen

~Violet~ said...

Congrats on your Anniversary!!!Today is my birthday, so now I feel like we have something in common, more than me just loving your blog!! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, your treasure hunts & recipes that you share with us!

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary!

What a fun post. Thanks for taking us along on your antique treaure hunting trip. As usual, I enjoyed my visit to your blog.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, thanks for the shopping trip - great stuff! Congratulations on your anniversary, and thanks for sharing pictures. So glad you two found each other. Linda

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making 4 years, link was nice but you don't say how you met.

abeachcottage said...

enjoyed it very much, especially the old aqua dresser

more importantly

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

enjoy your dinner and your flowers and have a cocktail for me in Aus

love

Sarah

Patti said...

Rhoda, Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing your shopping trip -- love the shabby cabinet. And I am sooooo jealous you went to Chic-Fil-A -- just can't find them in Minnesota!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh it looks like so much fun. Love the finds, too bad you didn't buy anything.

Cynthia

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary!

I love some of those pieces! Aqua is really hot right now and I can see why, it's so relaxing and beach-y!

momof3girls said...

Thanks for showing us what all you saw!! It's almost like going shopping with you - I was so excited to see how they painted the handles on the aqua chest - I have a piece with handles like that one and I have been thinking of replacing them - but now I am going to try painting them to match the piece! Thanks again!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Rhoda!

Oh my gosh!! Love the tole trays, but REALLLLLY love the dresser with the roses. That is just tooooo delish!

Blessings,
Spencer

OKGardners said...

Happy Anniversary, Rhoda & Peter.
Doesn't time fly? We will have our 23rd Anniversary in August.
(Seems only yesterday we married.)

I loved your shopping blog. It was fun. Let's go again REAL soon and I LOVE your garage sale blogs, too. Keep up the good work!

Betty in Oklahoma

Unknown said...

I could do some shopping damage in a place like that! Happy Anniversary!

Leanne Helums said...

I love the pics. By any chance do you remember the price of the little twin bed that is a blue color from the Consigning in Pelham. I really love that bed and it would be perfect in my little girls room. I would love to make the 2 1/2 drive from Elkmont to get it if it is not too much. Thanks for sharing.

She Knits Flying Monkeys said...

One photo is a white table with a blue lamp, and a sign that says Seaside (can't see all of the sign). THAT's the blue I want in my bathroom, but I seem to find every color but that! Do you have any suggestions?

Allison said...

Happy Anniversary!

So glad you posted about Hoover Antiques. Chris is one of our nicest tenants. He worked for Riverchase Antiques at the old location years ago and decided to open his own store to give everyone a place to move to.

I told DH today I needed to get over there this week - then I come home and find this! Great photos.

Allison

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Antiques shopping with a friend" to our Directory of Shopping . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

Best Mart Team

http://www.bestmart.info

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, I'm loving that barley twist table...and do I spy a "Sale" ticket hanging from it?! I may have left with that...if the price was right. :-)

I also love that chandelier. It would look very fancy in my "Napoleon room!"