Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours!

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families and friends. This is the time for a grateful heart and a spirit of sharing. This year, we are staying home and two of Peter's three children will be here with us for a few days, so I'll be cooking on Thanksgiving Day (which I'm not used to doing!) and there will be six of us, including his mom and Grandma Eleanor. We usually go later in the weekend back to Georgia, but this year we've decided to just be at home and that will be very nice for a change. With other family obligations, my immediate family can't always get together on Thanksgiving Day anyway, so it will be just as well that we don't have to travel and just enjoy the day in our own home.
So, I got out the white china and decided to set a pretty table. We don't often use our diningroom, so it's fun to play around with the place settings and linens. I hardly ever set a formal table, but I had fun with it.
I just used what I had and this is the first time I've used all of this together. After putting the table together, I realized that at least half of these things came from yardsales (no surprise there). This white china with a simple gold band was found at Target a few years ago (el-cheapo) and I have a set of 8. The placemats were picked up this summer at a yardsale (I think I paid $1 for all of them!). They are woven wicker-like and I love that they are round. They fit my round table so much better than the rectangular ones do.
Even the faux pears were a yardsale find.
As well as this pretty lace square runner in the middle of the table and the salad tongs, both yardsale finds.
This will be our first time using the yardsale silverplate flatware I found this summer too. $10 for the whole bunch. I polished it up with my Wright's Silvercreme and it is beautiful. I moved the bittersweet and glass vase in from the livingroom along with the wooden candlesticks (vase & candlesticks also a yardsale find). Simple and elegant. I only had 4 of the plaid napkins, so mixed in 2 of the green.

(Yay, I did some research on the problem of enlarging the pics on Blogger & found out the solution from a message board. If anyone wants to know, just ask & I'll share). I was so used to having nice large pics, but of course they changed some code & messed it up. Now I have the answer & big pics again!)

Here's what I'm cooking this year:

*Roast Turkey

*Beef on the smoker

*Sweet Potato casserole

*Cornbread dressing (my mama told me how to make hers, this is my first time!)

*Tossed salad with cranberries & feta

*Cranberry congealed salad

*Green beans with feta and basil

*Mrs. Shubert's rolls

*Coconut egg custard pie

*Pecan Pie (both pies from Publix, I know my limitations!)

Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll! I'll take a couple of days off, but will be back this weekend! Enjoy this time with your families. I'm looking forward to getting those Christmas decorations out very soon.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

72 friends stopped by:

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, Your table looks beautiful! I love how you pulled together all yout thrifty finds!

Happy Thanksgiving, DebraK
PS, yes I want to know how to get large pix back.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Rhoda! Your table is lovely. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family. :-)

XO,

Sheila

Bo said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ms. Rhoda... When I saw the woven chargers, I thought they were crocheted...they look great! Your dining room is so pretty and yet comfortable looking. Regards about the larger pics, could you do a post for all of us? ;-) Bo

ugagirl30 said...

You've got my red dining room!!! I am having a time trying to decorate my red dining room. I love the curtains and the table is FAB.U. LOUS.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Lady of the Mote said...

Happy Thanksgiving,your table and menu are wonderful!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, Your table is beautiful and meal sounds delish! Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving! ~Rhonda :)

Carol said...

Rhoda,
The table & menu look wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you & yours!
Blessings,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! your table is beautiful! and I love the lace you used.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your table looks lovely and I love how you used your thrifty finds!

Sounds like you will have a nice restful weekend!

I would love to know how you get the pics so large.

It is much more effective!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Diane

Anonymous said...

Morning, Rhoda! Your table looks so beautiful and you're just amazing how you can find all these great sale things! Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Becky K. said...

I love it! So pretty...and coordinated with your dining room colors as well. The napkins pick up the color of the walls nicely.

Those chairs are great but I wouldn't want my children sitting in them to eat...or maybe not even me...lol. I'd be too afraid of getting something on them.

Have a lovely time with your family. The menu looks great!

My only responsibility for our Thanksgiving Dinner is the Mashed Potatoes. The Moms are doing the rest.

Becky K.

Bonita said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Rhoda!

What a lovely table (and room)you've provided for your guests. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't immediately be thankful the moment they saw it all.

I hope your meal goes well.

Carrie's Minnesota-nICE said...

Everything looks really lovely and your menu sounds delicious. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I would like to know how to do the large pics too. Thank you!

Lindsay said...

I love your blog and all of your wonderful decorating ideas. Your table looks beautiful! I would also love to know how you get your pics large. Please post your secrets!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Rhoda! Your table looks lovely! Where did you get your dining chairs? I'm looking for new dining chairs in a tan/beige upholstery.

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend,
Everything is beautiful and so are YOU and I am so thankful that we met in person this year...
Happy Thanksgiving sweet one!
Love,
Kim

Tracy said...

Beautiful table Rhoda! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
~Tracy~

Stacey said...

Beautiful!

I hpe you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Please do share the info about the pictures.

Salmagundi said...

Your table looks great!! So many things to love - the salad tongs, the silverplate with their Art Deco design, the placemats, everything. Happy Thanksgiving. Sally

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's Longhcamps crystal you've got there...

My kids (nieces and stpedaughters) all picked up my 20-some odd boxes of formal china, crystal and silver...

So for me it's just my everydayware and another casual set.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Rhoda,
Hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving together! Your table looks lovely, and your menu sounds so yummy! I just know it will be a special day for you :)

Blessings,
Stacey

Carry Grace said...

Hi Rhoda, your dining room is beautiful, and your menu sounds delish! Enjoy your Thanksgiving at home this year.

Lady Katherine said...

A lovely Thanksgiving table you have brought together. I love the round woven placemats, and the simple arrangement, just set the table off. Happy Thanksgiving.

Joanna said...

It looks great! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Designs on 47th Street said...

I can never get enough of looking at pretty tables, and yours is just that. It's fun to hear you found most of the lovelies while thrifting. Isn't it fun to spot what you know is just GREAT?
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Hopechest Bride said...

Happy Thanksgiving Rhoda,
What a pretty table setting. Love your use of all your wonderful garage sale finds. Don't you just love thrifting?? I know I do.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And don't forget the gravy! :) Gotta have that gravy! hee hee
Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!
I've got bunches of mine already done, that is what I could do early I did early so I wouldn't be soooo tired from staying in the kitchen all day because it's usually up early in the morning and eating at like 1 or so. And you know everything has to be JUST SO, so you're all wound up trying to get it that way. ;)
Hope you enjoy having it there in your home for a change. I know I will. It's been like 4 or more years since I had it at our house. It will just be us 3 here though.

Sheila said...

Rhoda Happy Thanksgiving! I love all your deals and your table is so beautiful as usual. Good luck with the meal, and the dressing I am sure will turn out great.
:)
Sheila

Jill said...

Your table looks beautiful and your menu sounds absolutely delicious! Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

That table is beautiful!

There is simply nothing like mama's dressing. I hope yours goes off scrumptiously.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Carla said...

I'd love to know how you fix your beef in the smoker... You have such a lovely blog.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cindy said...

Your table looks beautiful! I love those salad tongs and your silverplate looks beautifull too! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I would love to know how to enlarge the photos on blogger! I didn't even know you could do that! You can email me at cindy95131@yahoo.com or maybe you should just do a post about it if there are a lot of us!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Carla,

I'm hoping that beef turns out good. We have a smoker with mesquite wood that we'll be throwing on there and I have an eye of round marinating overnight in Grillmates mesquite marinade. I'm going to put it on the smoker for about 3 hours or so & hope it is yummy. I've done turkey & pork on there & they have always turned out good. I'll let you know on this one!

Everyone who's interested in the enlarging pics tutorial, I just finished a post which will go up on Sat. so check back for that!

Thanks to all of you for coming by!
xoxo,
Rhoda

Mary said...

Oh Rhoda, how beautiful your table looks! And I LOVE that you used lots of yardsale and thrift finds. That flatware is so beautiful! I used a mixture of silverplate flatware and German silver spoons on my table this year.

Wishing you a wonderful time with your family. Happy Thanksgiving!
xoxo,
Mary

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

Your table looks lovely and just perfect for Thanksgiving. I hope that you and your family have a wonderful day! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Lovely as always, Rhoda. I'm anxious to leave the office and thought your blog would be an inspirational send off. Waving to you from Atlanta.
Ginger

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda
Everything looks beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving day.
Hugs, Rhondi

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, dear Rhoda! Thank YOU for brightening my day so many times this year.

I love your "thrifty table" (it looks like a million bucks!) and agree with you on round placemats for a round table. I compensated by buying square dishes. On clearance sale, of course. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, nice blog!
I love Thanksgiving day very much. I found a site with a lot of things about Thanksgiving. Maybe this will interest you: All about Thanskgiving Day!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhoda, What a lovely table setting...I thought surely the pears were real, was thinking, "Ooh, you could use faux ones and people could take them as favors" and then realized yours were faux as well! The silver is a lovely art deco pattern, I wonder what it is called? I searched ebay earlier this year until I put together a set of Jubilee, made in the late 50's. It was fun to hunt and gather, but I didn't get quite so good a deal$. Anyway, I am happy to have found your blog and hope that you have a lovely holiday! Most Sincerely, Bobbi

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hi Roda,
Your tablescape is stunning!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Many Blessings,
Sandy

The Berry's Patch said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Rhoda! Your table looks gorgeous! :0)

Ally's Corner said...

So very pretty.
yes, please share I would love my pictures to be bigger.

Michelle said...

Your table looks lovely and your menu sounds delicious! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Anonymous said...

Hello Rhoda, just stopping by to wish you a happy Thanksgiving

Your table is beautiful and festive. Your guests will love how much trouble you went to on this turkey day. The food always tastes better when the table setting is special.

Blessings...Jeanne

A Hint of Home said...

Your dining room is just lovely. I know your dinner will be great. Enjoy the family and Happy Thanksgiving.

Linda said...

Happy Thanksgiving Rhoda. Your table looks lovely and your menu sounds delicious.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving , Rhoda! Your table looks just fabulous. I cook too...my family gathers here . I got one tree up already just not totally decorated. Have fun with your family tomorrow & Christmas decorating in the near future. :)
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
What a beautiful festive table you have set...I love that you are so thrifty but it all pulls together.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Terri Steffes said...

The table looks lovely! I love the plaid napkins. I think your walls of the DR are a fabulous color. Do you know what it is? I love the round table, too!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

How beautiful your table looks! And how fun to gather your family together. Good luck with all the cooking, it sounds DELICIOUS! PS. we buy pies too...;-)

Wishing you Thanksgiving blessings,
Melissa

OKGardners said...

Please tell me what to do to ENLARGE the photos for our blogs. I would love to know.

I always love your blog entries and your beautiful home. Enjoy life and family!

Happy Thanksgiving.

God Bless Your entire family,
BETTY in OKLAHOMA

OKGardners said...

I forgot to leave my email address: blue.eagle@cox.net

or just post the "Picture fix" on your blog. I read it daily.

Betty in Oklahoma

Anonymous said...

hey Rhoda

el cheapo, I don't think so!!!! it looks wondeful, i LOVE how is all comes together so beautifully, of course I love even more that most of it is from your thrift adventures, gotta love that!!

Happy Thanksgiving sweetie

love to you and yours...

Sarah

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Your table is gorgeous! Menu sounds yummy!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Lou Ann

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

what a lovely spread...wishing you a blessed and happy thanksgiving...hugs, rebecca

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful table. Happy Thanksgiving!

Joy said...

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Jill said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Rhoda! Have a wonderful time with your family.

Free Art Printables said...

Happy TG rhoda!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Your table was just beautiful! Love that you didn't have to spend a fortune to get such a lovely, well appointed table. :-) Happy Thanksgiving, Rhoda!
Susan

Cherry Hill Cottage~ said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING RHODA~

LOVE your family Thanksgiving table~ my favorite photo~ the lace runner w/the salad tongs~ so pretty! What a great shopper you are!!

Tina~ Cherry Hill Cottage...

KM Studios said...

Happiest Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Im so thankfull to find your blog this year!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Rhoda, Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving! Nancy

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Happy Thanksgiving Rhoda. Enjoy your visit with your family.

Blessings,

Sher

Rox said...

As usual it is just beautiful. All of it. You have a flair girl. You really do : ) Please share with me/ with us how to make the pics larger on Blogger. I have dug around and not had a lot of luck with an answer.
Thanks
Roxanne

Lisa (aka) French said...

Your table looks lovely as does everything you do;) French

"Blossom" said...

Rhoda, this is lovely. Your are it. Please pick your tag up over at my place.
Blossom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely Thanksgiving setting. Everything looks beautiful!!!

Hope you had a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving:)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Just beautiful!! I can't believe most of it is from yard sales! I love every last bit of that table setting.

Susie Q said...

What a beautiful table Rhoda! Not that you doing a gorgeous table is a surprise! You have that gift!!
It all looks wonderful...as did your menu!

I know it was a special day!

Love,
Sue