Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Burlap: What have you done with me lately?

Burlap

Are you all ready for the burlap party? I’ve got my projects all ready to show and I hope you do too. Burlap, that inexpensive, fun and textured, hip and happening fabric. What have you done with it lately?

Do tell.

IMG_1786

Just for fun, I added in an old pic of the red dining room. I can’t believe how it has changed so drastically in the last year. I just started this creamware collection about a year and 1/2 ago and had quite a bit already in this pic from about a year ago. Now, take a look at the lampshades. That’s the before…before burlap, that is.

IMG_5255

Looking back, the red looks SO heavy to me now. Light and airy, I’m loving the new and classic look. And with the new look, I decided that I needed to cover those shades with burlap and add a monogram last year. Take a look here if you want to see how that happened, along with links to my lampshade covering tutorials. You can do this to any lampshade you own with any fabric. Believe me, I've covered a bunch of them.

Burlap lampshade

I’m totally diggin’ the burlap and monogram on these shades. The black gimp trim just finished them off.

IMG_5254

Burlap just has the neatest texture to it. I’ve got a bundle that I found at a yardsale (actually FREE) a few weeks ago, so I need some more projects to use it for.

IMG_5259

Now, you will all remember the corner cabinet that was found at the antique mall and revamped with paint and burlap. If you click on all those links, you can see where it started, the redo process, and the finished project.

IMG_5257

And burlap was the highlight of this project. I had a brainstorm to cover the back of the cabinet with burlap and add some herb words with simple tracing and paint. With the addition of some black tacks (and the handy-dandy staple gun), this cabinet went from dowdy and country to sassy and chic.

IMG_5256

And now it holds some special dishes in our kitchen.

So, let’s see those burlap projects. I can’t wait to get inspired by what all of you have done too. Here are the party rules: Please link back to THIS post from your burlap party post, so that all your readers can get in on the fun too. Either a link with the button or just a link to this post will be fine. Be sure to add your permalink (the burlap party post url) and NOT just your blog link!

Nester's having a lamp party on Thursday too, so I'm linking up with her party also.

OK, let’s party!



1. Vintage Swampgirl
2. The Shabby Chic Cottage
3. Debilou
4. randee
5. Linda @Nina's Nest
6. Katie @ Clean and Classic Interiors
7. Sue@Thistlepatchhill
8. Kennesha @ Me & My House
9. A Beach Cottage ~ The Burlap Queen
10. Jadehollow
11. Vanessa @Vanilla Lavender
12. Rhonda~Scooterblu's Whimsy
13. Leigh from Tales from Bloggeritaville
14. Barb @ Grits and Glamour
15. Kasey
16. Melissa @ Huckleberry Prairie
17. KarasKottage
18. Amanda-TheEckLife
19. Olive Rue
20. Crystal
21. Sarah@Clover Lane Easy Burlap Window Treatment
22. Joy@joysofhome
23. Blanca
24. Tami ~ Aunt Mimis Creations
25. Chris @ Free Range Furnishings
26. Elise from Nest Sweet Nest
27. Lois
28. Pam @ Ramblings of a Happy Homemaker
29. The Bliss Journey
30. The Cornell Family
31. Lisa S.
32. Chrissie Grace
33. Kitty Scraps
34. Jenelle at This Lady Blogs
35. Terry
36. Roxanne @ Beverly Sandhills
37. DebraK @ Bungalow, monograms
38. The Gaines Gang ( Table runner)
39. Joni-Cote de Texas (burlap pillows)
40. Deb @ Wise Old Owl

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

56 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

Those look wonderful! You always inspire me! Thanks for the great ideas.

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

Hi Rhoda
I've linked up with two projects that I've done recently. I love your burlap monogram lamp shades.. too cute. Thanks for hosting the party, cant wait to see what others are doing.

Debbie

randee said...

hi - hope you all will extend grace to this first timer. having trouble linking to you & other crazy things, too. i love what i've seen from you & the others.

randee

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I am already clicking over to your lampshade tutorial! I love that look...I am so crazy about that wonderful cabinet!! What a find and waht vision! You amaze me!
~Nancy

Robbon said...

I so enjoy reading your blog and look forward to each post. Yippee! Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us and keep up the wonderfully inspiring decorating ideas. I also wanted to pass along an award that was given to me. Feel free to accept it or not. : ) My recent post lists your blog as one of my favorites.

Swampgirl said...

Thanks for hosting this - I need more "burlap" ideas! I had forgotten about your lamp shades- now they are on my list!

Restoration House Interiors said...

Okay, Rhoda! I did it! I don't have any projects that are COMPLETED with burlap BUT I do have ideas (like some of yours too!) and posted some pics of others' ideas...great party! Love the hors d'oeuvres! LOL!

Sue said...

I do believe this is the first yard of burlap I have ever purchased- thanks to you and your fun parties! Love your inspirations!

Jenny said...

Beautiful!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I need to get me some burlap! ;) Love these ideas of course!

Renae Moore said...

Rhoda!
I had no idea those lampshades I have been coveting were made from burlap! You can send them right over as my last name begins with "M" too! I have just the shade I can do this treatment on. My friend that has a window treatment business has one of those fancy monogramming machines too and did a lovely monogram on a pillow for me. Time to get her busy!
Blessings...

abeachcottage said...

Hi Rhoda

All looks fabulous, as usual, you are such an inspiration to me even though our actual styles are quite different though that is the beauty of blogs isn't it?

I am so in with your partay, thanks for hosting, I feel like I am surely the queen of burlap since I found those hessian bags..

off to look at the other gals, what fun

happy burlapping!!!

Sarah

Roeshel said...

Beautiful! I love the lampshades! I haven't gotten my hands on any burlap yet...but I can't wait to take a look at everyone's projects! Thanks for hosting!

Jadehollow said...

Rhoda .. Those look really great! I'm gonna have to borrow that idea! Thanks for hosting.. can't wait to see everyones ideas.
Hugs,
Debbie

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda! What a neat event! Thanks for hosting it! I love your creative uses of burlap, especially the burlap in the cabinet! Very pretty! :) ~Rhonda

Lindsay said...

Love the lampshades! I've told you before that your dining room is beautiful!
I used a lot of burlap for decorating tables at my weddin...it was a southern outdoor wedding.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda, all fabulous suggestions! And I agree, I like your lighter walls too. I prefer neutral colors, and like the airyness of it. Though I will often see other peoples homes with color and think how bold they are and its beautiful. But that is what is great and makes us all differnt. LOve it all, Rhoda!

Pam @ Frippery said...

You are one inventive chicky. I have lots going on this week so I can't join in but will definitely be eating up all the wonderful ideas. Thanks for hosting this fun event! Pam

Joanie @ The Bright Side said...

Oh my gosh! I just love what you did to that corner piece of furniture. That is just wonderful. Burlap? I never would have thought of that and it looks so cute!

Rose said...

Oh my goodness Rhoda how I love those little lamp shades! Those are awesome as usual! You just kill me with all you do. I just love it all! Lamps you say, tomorrow, well mines not finished! :( But I even got a freebee to. You'll have to hop on over and check it out. I'm going to put seashells in it for the beachy bedroom. grin I JUST got it yesterday so haven't had time to fix it yet. I've got to get me a lamp shade for it and have no idea WHAT size.
Anyway I LOVE your lamp shades and all your burlap things! Man a roll of it for free? That is too cool!!! Congrats!!

Kelee Katillac said...

Hi Rho!

Love burlap and th shades!! Something so divinely contradictory about it with elegant environments!! true flashpoint of contrast...had a client who we call "Burlap and crystal! She loved contrast! And tres francais....

love, kelee

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'm crazy about burlap! Love what you did, Rhoda, I'm looking forward to touring some of the other blogs.

XO,

Sheila :-)

kottagekara said...

Love your blog! I was so excited when I got the invitation to your party. My husband gave me the look when I began stapling burlap on the walls last month!

Melissa said...

Rhoda~you never cease to amaze! I just love these~the monogram is the perfect finishing touch!

The Nester said...

What have you done with me lately?

You are SO clever and funny!

oh, and super creative too. love you!

Decor To Adore said...

What terrific ideas! I think my lampshade are about to undergo a makeover!

Crystal said...

Cant wait to see all the beautiful burlap creations. I plan to recover a desk chair I bought off Craig's List. When recovering chairs, etc with burlap, do you wash it first?? It sheds terribly!
Love your burlap Rhoda! You are so talented adn such an inspiration. BTW, this was my first LINK!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog or a digital camera for that matter, but I just wanted to share what I've done with burlap. My 5 sons have a really cool (and huge) bathroom with a cowboy, classy, rustic feel. The ceiling is really tall in there and I couldn't find a cool or long enough shower curtain, so.......burlap was the answer. It turned out soooo adorable. I just love it. I just hung it over a rod and sewed a pocket for the rod to go through and then frayed the top and the bottom. Everyone that sees it comments on how cute it turned out. Only wish I could send you a pic. I love your lampshades.

Melinda said...

I am decorating for my 35 year high school reunion this summer and I am using burlap runners over white tablecloths. I hadn't thought about monogramming or stenciling on them, but I love the way the stenciling looks. I think I just might stencil WHS Class of 1974 on the runners.

That would be so cool!

Thanks for a great idea.

Melinda

http://youknowjuststuff.blogspot.com

Becky K. said...

The beauty is in the special touches! The tacks and the words and monograms. Burlap makes a surprisingly pretty backdrop for your details!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I just love burlap!! Your lamps are divine, my dear, just divine!!

Still Learning said...

Oh my Rhoda, those lampshades are just incredible. I have GOT to write down this idea! LOVE it. That was genius. My favorite that I've seen today. You must be just thrilled every time you walk by your little pretties.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Jennifer

Southern Fried Gal said...

Those lamp shades are FABULOUS! Love, love, love!

Chandy said...

Rhoda, those lamps are beautiful as shades! I can't even begin to imagine how they look when lit up. Wow! And your plates are gorgeous of course! The monogramming is amazing on the burlap. I seen Leigh's burlap collection and how she used it and now yours, you both sold me on using it for my daughter's birthday party! And... I may just "borrow" that lamp shade idea! Hope you don't mind if I feature it soon... ;-) Thanks!

Sorry didn't get to join in on the fun, but it's my fault for not visiting often. I'll have to remedy that, right?

Elise said...

Hey Rhoda!!
I just linked up to my curtains in my kitchen.
Elise

The Bliss Journey said...

Loving the burlap in the cabinet. I'll have to check out that post.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! Happy Thursday. Love your burlap creations. That lamp is gorgeous. Thank you so much for the sweet comment about the the table and for letting me know about the mispelling. Happens when you get in a hurry.

Hugs,
Crystal

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

5* on everything, just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

My burlap is up!
:-D)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I have a REALLY dumb question, but bear with me b/c I am new to sewing, fabric, etc. (It has always made me nervous!) Can you get burlap at any old fabric store, like JoAnn Fabric? We have on of those, as well as a Hancock Fabric in my town...just wondering, b/c your projects are inspiring! :)

The Bloom Girls said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your lampshades are absolutely adorable. I have to lampshades in need of a makeover that will be perfect.
Have a great week!
Nola @ The Bloom Girls

Crystal said...

Wow, I honestly never thought of burlap the way that you have. The lampshade looks awesome. It was so great to visit you once again, great ideas.

Thanks for sharing!
Crystal

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I love the lampshades, they look beautiful. I also love the lighter looking dining room.

Linda in AZ * said...

* You've come a long way, Baby!!!"~~~~ and yessireebob, "YOU'RE the MARY!"~~~

Just wonnnnnderful, girlfriend!

Hugs,
Linda

KM Studios said...

I have seen your wonderful lamps in your dinning room before & I adore them!!!
They are just tooo perfect for that room!
when i think of project to do around the house I normaly don tthink of burlap but you might be sparking my gears up with some ideas..
great post Rhoda!!!!

Unknown said...

I did a lampshade too!
I did two others as well, a brooch and a matte for a frame.
Your party inspired me.
I love the lighter walls too.
Have a great evening!:)
Chrissie Grace

BlueCastle said...

Beautiful! I just love the look and texture of burlap. A couple of years back, I made burlap cafe curtains for my living room and dining room, unfortunately, I didn't take pictures (this was pre-blog :) ) so I can't join your party today, but I love what you did with your burlap!

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

You are good...so clever! I love the new look...red dining rooms were all the rage a few years ago, but I am loving the fresh neutrals so much better. I guess, I just like the change. It was pretty both ways.

Jenelle at This Lady Blogs said...

Nester suggested I participate in your party... I'm so glad I happened to use burlap for my lamp! I actually just walked by it at Hobby Lobby and fell for the color (and the price, ha).

Brandi said...

You are so creative. I love the monogram on the shades!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Hi Rhoda! I was by here for a look, yesterday. I love how you did the back of the corner cabinet. I'm considering this for the little green cabinet at the lake. I think my white dishes would look great against the burlap.

As for Mikasa verses Pfaltzgraf in durability. When I worked at Famous in china, crystal, silver department, I learned the differences, in the two, as in chips and scratching. When J and I were engaged, my friends, I worked with, suggested I register. I looked at the Pfaltzgraf, which was sold in the housewares department and liked it and was about to register for it,when the bridal registrar suggested the Mikasa. I am so glad she did. I registered for the French Countryside. This was in 1983 and we were given several place settings, as wedding gifts, that I've added to over the years.

J's company gave us 8 place settings of Pfaltzgraf Yorktown. It was a lovely pattern and fit into our little country farmhouse, beautifully. I found though, it chipped easily and had a few other wearability problems. You might try a baking soda paste to remove the dark spots. I still have the Yorktown, but it's packed away. Tried to sell it at a very reasonable price at the garage sale, but no takers. I think it was the pattern. The Mikasa's durablility is wonderful, just as the girls in the china department told me.

When I started the French Countryside, 26 years ago, you could get place settings for 9.99 on sale! Plus, I had a 20% employee discount. Times change!LOL

Have a great weekend! Today is book fair day, by Friends of the Library. Will be heading out the door soon, for an early start!

Dawn said...

Love, love, LOVE that cabinet!!! What a great idea!

Breathing In Grace said...

I love the look of burlap...just not the dust it creates..ha! ha! Love the look of it in your cabinet...and the lampshades. I'm thinking I'm gonna be using this more and more!!!

Anonymous said...

I love burlap but have no idea how to use it. I bought a yard & I'm anxious to try it. Any suggestions for care? Can it be washed or ironed? Thank you!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

KK, I sure wouldn't wash burlap, I think it would fall apart, but you can iron it.

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rhoda

Gosh, I can't believe how many of your posts I've missed lately. Things are settling down a bit so I've had fun tonight catching up with you from the top of your blog all the way down to this post.