Sunday, May 17, 2009

Thrifty Shopping: One Last Chandelier

RH Riley

You may recall that last year, I showed you a pic from Restoration Hardware. Meet Riley. I really like Riley, just don’t like the pricetag of $670. IMG_3305

So, I found this fixture at a thriftstore for a measly $5 and brought it home. Not exactly the same, but a good facsimile, don’t you think. Same shape, same little pointy things at the bottom. :)

IMG_4870

Notice anything different? Oh you do? I know…isn’t it beautiful? It sat for a few months until I finally got around to hanging it. And had to give it a nice coat of black spray paint to even up the color.

IMG_4871

And wowsa, do I love it or what?! IMG_4874

You know what a yardsale diva I am. Just a couple of weeks ago, I picked up these shades for 25 cents each. I wasn’t really sure if I could use them on here or not, but there were 6 of them, so I grabbed them up. I couldn’t even remember how many bulbs it had, but I did good. $1.50 for all of them, with one to spare. They are a pretty white linen and perfect for this chandy. My lighting issues are 100% complete after 3 years of replacing them One. By. One. And I’m a happy girl. If you'd like to see the transformation of this guestroom from last fall, click here for all the details.

IMG_4972

Since we are in here, I’ll also show you what I picked up at The Brown House, that is sadly closing their doors in Homewood this month. I had admired Peter’s Pottery who are very well known potters out of Mound Bayou, Mississippi, when I was in there and he’s offering it for 30% off now, so I splurged on a pretty covered bunny vase.IMG_4833

It’s in a pretty aqua color with a very delicate bunny on top. Peters Pottery

Love it in here and I’ll treasure this piece. IMG_4835

So I guess you could say I shop at the yardsales, so I can afford to splurge on a treasure every now and then.

I'm adding this post to Susan's Met Monday, since this is a before and after project too.

So, did you find anything this weekend? It's time for sharing our Monday treasures, so sign up below with Mr. Linky. Remember the rules on playing: Add a link back from your post to this post so that everyone can find the party and play along too. And be sure to add your permalink (your thrifty post url) and not just your blog link to the party, please!

1. http://inpassionatepursuit.blogspot.com/2009/05/trash-to-treasure.html
2. http://thistlepatchhill.blogspot.com/2009/05/garage-sale-finds.html
3. Marsha
4. http://ninasnest.blogspot.com/2009/05/met-monday-and-todays-thrifty-treasures.html
5. http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com/2009/05/metamorphosis-monday-and-todays.html
6. Olive Rue
7. We are THAT family
8. Queen of Fifty Cents
9. Chrissie Grace
10. http://cherishedtreasures-terry.blogspot.com/2009/04/metamorphis-monday-pink-vintage-box.html
11. http://gritsglamour.blogspot.com/2009/05/welcome-to-metamorphosis-monday.html
12. The Shabby Chic Cottage
13. http://blessedwith2miracles.blogspot.com/2009/05/thifty-shopping.html
14. http://oldglorycottage.blogspot.com/2009/05/weekend-finds_17.html
15. Kelly
16. http://thecozychickadee.blogspot.com/2009/05/depression-anyone.html
17. Sandi
18. Kammy-Small Home in the Country
19. SusieQ
20. http://dovislife.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-18-desk-areaif-its-spring-youll-find.html
21. Jessica - Paulsbride
22. Amanda-TheEckLife
23. Beth
24. My Three Bubs
25. Robin
26. Toni
27. A Beach Cottage - vintage table & Giveaway!
28. Glenda/MidSouth
29. http://manningfamilytree.blogspot.com/2009/05/todays-thrifty-finds.html
30. http://www.bargainbonvivant.com/2009/05/birthday-weekend-yard-sale-score.html
31. http://expressivecreationsca.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-monday-again-and-today-i-am-hooking.html#links
32. The Bloom Girls - Guest Room for Less
33. worldgazing
34. Kathi
35. Mary
36. http://cottagelifestyle.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-big.html
37. http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2009/05/thrifty-treasures-monday.html
38. The Pleasures of Homemaking
39. Miss G
40. http://justinandjennsieb.blogspot.com/2009/05/frugal-finds.html
41. http://marmielusnest.blogspot.com/2009/05/thrifty-finds_17.html
42. Beth aka Rambling Gal
43. http://typicaldaytoday.blogspot.com/2009/05/shop-til-you-drop.html
44. Chandy
45. Llyn M
46. http://mandyhuckins.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/yard-sale-bonanza/
47. Junk Mammas
48. Rhonda~Scooterblu's Whimsy
49. The Nester:
50. http://mydealoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/stellar-junkin.html
51. Our Creative Life
52. Grannyann
53. Simply Saving
54. Teresa
55. http://anenchantedcottage.blogspot.com/2009/05/early-bird.html
56. http://mytinyrobotheart.blogspot.com/2009/05/thrifty.html
57. Caro's Thrifty Finds
58. Victoria & Christina
59. MelanieElissa
60. http://pirouettesandpeonies.blogspot.com/2009/05/first-time-for-everything-thrifty.html
61. http://happeningshome.blogspot.com/2009/05/frugal-shopping.html
62. Angela at Coupon Makeover
63. Bamawhitney
64. http://tooblessed2stress.blogspot.com/2009/05/garage-sale-finds.html
65. http://fortheloveofit2.blogspot.com/2009/05/this-weeks-finds.html
66. http://stmichaelswife.blogspot.com/2009/05/look-at-this-beauty.html
67. http://made2create.blogspot.com/2009/05/bounty-of-bargains-and-giveaway.html
68. Jamie
69. Rachel
70. The Magic Brush
71. http://littlepieceofpink.blogspot.com/2009/05/yard-sale-finds.html
72. http://robinsblessednest.blogspot.com/2009/05/thrifty-loot.html
73. Becky
74. thrifting tales! Shorehouse Chic meets Beach Cottage
75. http://handfulofellers.blogspot.com/2009/05/wedding-planning.html
76. http://vintagepatina.blogspot.com/2009/05/garage-sale-wonders.html
77. Days of Grace
78. http://cooperscornerblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/route-38-junkin-sale.html
79. http://www.thequeenofre.com/2009/05/todays-thrifty-treasures.html
80. http://frugaliciousjill.blogspot.com/2009/05/weekend-finds.html
81. Gabrielle

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

109 friends stopped by:

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You are the one that has me on the hunt for lighting fixtures. Too think of all of the ones that I have passed up....so sad. :)But it gives me something new to be on the hunt for.

Unknown said...

Your new light fixture looks great. And I agree...you deserve to splurge every now and then. I love the bunny vase.
:)Diane

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow! You did a great job, Rhoda! It's sooo similar for virtually no money! I am replacing all of my lights, too. I understand about one by one. It's a job, huh? But doesn't it make you feel good to find the perfect one?? Love the bunny jar! Have a great week!!!...Debbie

Cottage Rose said...

Wow what a beautiful job you did on redoing the chandy. I never get the lucky with finding really great treasures... Oh and that Bunny Vase is just adorable...

Hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous said...

You did an amazing job Rhoda. I love it.

Vanessa Greenway said...

The chandelier is just so pretty! You've done a great job with it! Love it!

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

I like it even better than the spendy one!

Lamp Tramp said...

What a wonderful chandelier and redo. I just love it! You are so lucky to find such great yard sale treasures!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda
I've started looking forward to Mondays now!:)
I love the chandelier. I am looking for one for my daughter's ballerina room.
I love the bunny too.
Chrissie

Adrienne said...

The chandelier is wonderful... great job!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the Mississippi Delta so I am very fond of Peter's Pottery and own around 20 pieces. I have that exact piece and it is my FAVORITE!!! It sits in my kitchen for everyone to see! Love the light!

Kelly said...

I love the bunny ginger jar! My mom gave it to me for Christmas last year! I have lots of bunnies from McCarty Pottery from when I was younger so I have a big collection for bunnies. Peter used to work at McCarty and left there to start his own!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home said...

Rhoda, your yard sale posts always inspire me. Perhaps this coming weekend I will grab my neighbor and go to a few! The chandelier is perfect in that bedroom!

Mary R Snyder said...

Rhoda -- what a blast to meet you and I didn't know you were a yard sale / thrift shop diva! Girl, you are speaking my language! I love a good bargain and this chandelier is darling, just darling!! Love it!

The Osborne Family said...

Thanks for inspiring me to yard sale shop! This stay-at-home mama needs some thrifty finds!

Sonia said...

Your light fixture is just beautiful! I love the black color and the shades just make it! Good eye and what a bargain you made!
Miss Bloomers/Sonia

Kelly @ Ruby Begonia said...

Love the light Rhoda! One of the reasons I just started my blog was so I could share too!

ellen b said...

Oh I love your shopping style! Great redo of the chandelier!

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

The chandelier is yummy! You wonder if PB looks back at the retro styles, and copies them! Yours is an original for sure, and soo makes that room wonderful!

Granna said...

You are always so creative and have such a good eye!! I have that same bunny piece but mine has a bird on top. It's also Peter's and I love it. Living in Mississippi, I have lots of Peter's and McCarty.

Unknown said...

What a great piece that turned out to be! You find the best treasures in your neck of the woods.

Tammy518 said...

I love your chandy redo! It looks perfect in your guest room. You find the best deals!

Carol said...

So you're saying you spent a grand total of $6.50 on that awesome chandelier? I bow down to you...that's one of the best transformations I've seen in a long time!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The new chandy is perfect. Love it, and the bunny is also just gorgeous. Great finds. Hugs, Marty

Kammy said...

Rhonda,
You have a great eye ! Lovely transformation..... I joined your party for the first time, looks like fun ~
Hugs ~ Kammy

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

WOW -- fantastic!! I love it Rhoda!!

The Barnett Family said...

Love the chandlier....very creative on your part...great eye!!! By the way, where did you get your dog figurines on the shelves. I know they have a special name, but I have gone totally blank for the moment. I have been looking for some...want some REALLY bad!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love your redo... it is perfect in that room ... love your bunny ginger jar too!

Brandi said...

Wow that turned out great and it looks perfect in that room!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Rhoda...your chandelier turned out amazing! Great job redoing it...love it! :-) And your bunny vase is adorable! Susan

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The chandie turned out wonderful! I have just done two posts on my The Comforts of Home blog about finding great items just like the expensive ones...come take a look.

Chandy said...

Beautiful Chandy and that covered vase bunny is so adorable!

I'll be joining in the fun soon!

Jadehollow said...

It looks awesome Rhoda.. and I love anything bunny.
Debbie

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love it!!!! I'm so excited about the price too! :) The bunny vase is perfect but of course I love anything with bunnies! I didn't have a chance to go yard sale-ing this weekend. I'm so bummed. I'll just check everyone else's stuff out.

Still Learning said...

You scored big on that find. It looks amazing in the room.

sarah @ a beach cottage said...

oh wow Rhoda, you know how much I like these sort of projects!

isn't it just amazing what you can do for like a tiny amount of the money!

great inspiration

Sarah

Chris said...

$5.00????? It's gorgeous!!!!! I love it, Rhoda!

Unknown said...

I like your thrift store re-purpose chandi better then the $600 dollar one!

~Really Rainey~

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, fabulous job on the chandy...really adds some class. I know you love the bunny, too! Linda

Kathi said...

You are such an inspiration Rhoda! Your chandelier looks great! Love Mondays at your place. It's so fun to see what everyone found over the weekends!

Mary said...

Rhoda, I just love the light fixture! You are the queen of taking something hohum and making it truly special.
That pottery piece is pefect for your guest room, I love the little bunny top.
Have a great week. Mary

Kimba said...

What a fantastic find! It really has the same feel as the RH one. And what a bargain to boot!

Kimba

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love the chandelier makeover!! :) I found some cute stuff this weekend! :) Thanks for hosting this!

We've Got Scents said...

Love the chandelier in your bedroom, you go girl! We were fortunate to find so many old fixtures at a greatly reduced price from a plumbing business that closed down. I still have many, new in boxes, from the 1960's-70's and plan to try to sell them at some point. Some great finds!!
And oh that piece of pottery, absolutely LOVE it, wish I were there to browse during their sale!
Those Mississippians are quite talented, huh?
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda..you really have a third eye,you can see "what it will" look like!

Debbie's Garden said...

Good eye on the thriftin shopping!

It looks mahvelous, Riley is does!

Pam @ Frippery said...

That is wonderful! It looks very high end!

marmielu said...

That light fixture looks great! You seem to find the best stuff.

That piece of pottery is wonderful. I really like hand done pottery, but it is a splurge.

Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Sorry to put this here but I can't seem to find our email address and I have a question about one of your advertisers. Could you. or someone smarter than me, put it here?
Thanks much, Ann

Joanna said...

Oh my gosh Rhoda! That is gorgeous!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

MWLR, if you click on Email me above, my email address should come up, but it is: rhoda12 at bellsouth dot net

Anonymous said...

Love the chandelier, Rhoda. We found two beauties at garage sales for under $5 a few years ago.

Thanks for hosting today and letting us share our bargains!

Lisa

Kathysue said...

Hi Rhoda, I saw you over at Barbs blog and read your message so I came right over here. Love, love the job you did on this light fixture, You gals and your spray paint are amazing. I am a horrible painter but would love to have a fixture turn out like yours. Barb, Deb and I had a grand time, it was such a great experience to meet eachother, one that I will always remember. Now you have a face to go with my name( not the best pict, but Oh Well,Humidity played havoc on this Calif girls hair,hehe). Miss talking to you on Micasa, hope all is well with you, Hugs Kathysue

Celia said...

Great find and transformation Rhoda!! It looks awesome in your guestroom!!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
Thank you so much for hosting this party each week. It is so much fun to showcase what we found and to share in others' excitement. As always, you lead the way by inspiring us through your choices and the creative and lovely way you use these found items in your home.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great fixture! Love the addition of "thrifty shades", too!

I posted the button for the burlap event on my post today, also. Sounds like a great event, I LOVE burlap! ~Rhonda :)

"Create Beauty" said...

What a beautifully decorated room! And the new light fixture ~ perfect! Delighful to stop by here this morning : ) ~ Violet

Kelee Katillac said...

Fantastic find Rhoda!!!!!looks great in one of my fav projects of yours the seaside bedroom! You are a miracle worker!!

love, kelee

Richella Parham said...

Oh, this is really good. Wow, what a find! And what great vision of yours to spot this. Thanks for the inspiration!

grannyann said...

My daughter and I are avid garage sale people. Stop by and See what I got this Saturday.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks great - beautiful redo. I need to replace some fixtures, but got tired of looking so put the project on the back burner for a while.
Glenda

Eclectic Chic Style said...

What a wonderfully beautiful Chandie makeover!!! Your room is gorgeous!! Wonderful finds!!!
Have a lovely day!
♥ Teresa

Donna said...

Rhoda, that room looks so elegant.. I love your new (old) chandelier, and I absolutely love the bunny vase. So unique and so precious!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Fifi Flowers said...

FAB... lighting in a room makes a big difference... LOVE chandeliers!

midnight macaroons said...

Wow, it looks great! What a fantastic find. Don't you think part of the fun is to buy things at a bargain. I have more fun at thrift shops & garage sales than shopping at the mall. I wish I lived near you because I know we would have a blast. I truly get excited for you on your great finds.

I went to a flea market/antique sale on Saturday. I posted some of my great finds on my blog. I spent a grand total of $15.50! I don't know if I get more excited about what I found or the price I paid for it, LOL! That's when you know you're a true thrift shopper. Congrats on the new chandelier. It looks fabulous!

Sofia Striffler said...

Great job Rhoda. Nice chandy. I like it. Love the bunny vase also.
Have a great day!

Victoria said...

Wow, I absolutely love the light! You have inspired me. I need new lighting in my kitchen & dining room so I will think outside the box!

Kacie said...

Hey - can I ask where you got your bedspread and shams? I recently bought one used that looks just like yours, but the tags are gone so I don't know where it's from and am trying to track down matching shams.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love the chandelier!!! It turned out fabulous. I'll bet Riley is jealous! And I love the bunny jar.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Rhoda, I was amazed that the SL pieces were priced so low in my area!! Things around here tend to be overpriced at yard sales....I think I was lucky. ;)

The Bloom Girls said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love the light and I want to know if you installed it yourself? Electrical is one area I have not tried; I am so afraid of getting shocked. I don't even like watching others work on wiring....weird, I know!!

Yes, I did the tile work and actually took a mini-break from working on floor.

Oops, I was so tired last night I forgot to add the link to your party. It's all taken care of!

Thanks for stopping by our blog!
Have a great week.
Nola
Nashville, TN

Shannon said...

That chandlier is awesome! And I can't believe you found shades for $1.50! Even if I find a $5 fixture (which is what I have been doing) I expect to pay about $5 a shade. WOW!

Michelle said...

Beautiful job on the light fixture!!! I was so inspired when I read this post this morning that I went and bought black paint to try it, too.

I'll post the results later this week. If mine turns out even half as good as yours does I'll be happy. Btw: I linked to you from my blog. I hope that was okay.

Bamawhitney said...

I love this weekly party! Great stuff as usual!

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Hi Rhoda,

Those chandies are so similiar!! It looks great in that room and fantastic find on those shades! You are so good with installing light fixtures - much braver than me!

Manuela

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Your chandelier turned out great. So glad you were able to splurge on the bunny. He is perfect.

L said...

That entire room is beautiful! Great job on spotting a chandy with "good bones". It's really beautiful! I am in the process of updating all my light fixtures as well. I have 3 to go!

CJ'SMOMMY*KIMBERLY said...

Rain AGAIN! In TN,but oMgoodness I LOVE MONDAYS now!!!! This post keeps me sane and feeds my addiction to garage sales.

So Sunny Day said...

I'm so excited to link up to the Monday Treasures! I just went public with my blog and am having more fun participating in all the linky parties.

Thank you for your wonderful posts and sharing your decortaing adventures.

Stop on by my blog if you get a chance :)

blessings, Emily from too Blessed to Stress

Runner Mom said...

Girl, your blog so encourages me to complete my projects!! 3 more weeks, and school is out!! Love the bunny pottery! Lovely!!

Hugs,
Susan

Caro said...

Dang, girl! What a makeover!!
I *so* want one of these for my kitchen (which I hope to start redoing soon!!)

rachel said...

that bunny is too sweet :)

Suzanne said...

OMG! That is the most fabulous chandelier makeover I've ever seen! Thank you for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Aren't you the bargain quen. $6.50! Wow! I love your elegant guestroom. I like all of the textures. It makes it very inviting. Where's the waiting list? Add my name. ;D

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Melanie Elissa, if you happen to see this, I think your Comments are not enabled on your blog, so no one can leave you a comment! I hope you see this, as I don't see an email address for you either, so no way to contact you. I hate that no one can leave you a note.

Unknown said...

I am so jealous! I can't talk my husband out of the ugly ceiling fans--at least, not yet. Maybe if I can find some great deals like you have, I'll stand a better chance.

Maureen said...

a.m.a.z.i.n.g.....

Love that chandelier. Really - it's beyond fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Southern Hospitality: One Last Chandelier" to our Shopping Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

bestmart.info Team

http://www.bestmart.info

Miss G said...

I asked about a chandelier at an estate sale this weekend but alas it was not for sale. It was staying with the house. Thanks for visiting my blog as well. I'm glad I was able to link up this week. i've been reading for a couple. Kelly

The Tattered Cottage said...

Rhoda -
I just want to say Thank You for hosting "Today's Thrifty Treasure" each week. I have so much fun visiting and seeing everyone's thrifty treasures, ideas and inspirations! With everything that seems to go on in a person life, this definitely is an uplift I look forward to :)
Toni

Carol said...

I love the bunny jar!

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

Great job...I think it is nicer than the new one.

Renae Moore said...

Rhoda,
Wowsers Girl....what an absolutely fab job you did! I wish I had your "eye". I can learn lots from you!
Blessings...

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

The light fixture is amazing, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your bedding!!

KARA from MADE 2 CREATE said...

Love the light fixture, I need to find myself one of those diamonds in the ruff!

Ms. Tee said...

Oh, that turned out great, Rhoda! I love it! :)

Beck said...

Love it! I am having so much fun trying to be thrifty! Thanks for inspiring! Your site is great!B:)

maryboys said...

i love this concept - thank you for making it easy to admire each other's found treasures:)

maryboys said...

oops! rhoda - i accidentally added my link twice...please delete that first one, if you can:) i couldn't find a way to delete - but please let me know if there's a way for me to do it!

Anonymous said...

What fun to see everyone's finds. Motivates me to get thrifting! Thanks!

Rue said...

Good morning Rhoda :)

The chandeleier turned out perfect! I've never seen a copy come so close to the original. Amazing!

Oh and you are gorgeous without makeup! :)

xoxo,
rue

Jackie said...

What a beautiful transformation you made with the chandalier! Isn't if amazing what a few dollars and imagination can do!

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...I've been on a bloggy break that nearly broke us...$$$$...as you'll see if you get a chance to view my last post..
You have the greatest eye for possibilities...the chandy you "made" looks so high-end...so perfect for your beautiful guestroom. What a keepsake pottery piece you have now in the bunny jar...I was too late to jump on board for the TREASURES party, but maybe next time... ;-) Bo

DESJ and Company said...

Rhoda-
Here's my question:
How do I FIND garage sales?
IS there a listing somewhere? Do I just hop in my car and drive aimlessly? I live in Chicago. HELP!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Rhoda,
I just found your inspiring blog and I'm really enjoying it.

Your chandy transformation is stunning! ~Lovely.

Have a wonderful and blessed day.
~Warmly, Melissa :)

Lauren said...

love the chandelier makeover!!! what a deal!!!
xoxo

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I mean...WOWZA!!! That light fixture has just catapulted itself into my "Rhoda Top Five"...and that's saying something, with all of the fabulous deals you've had since I "met" you! Un. Be. Lievable.

Great job...it looks wonderful in the black and white room!

~ Jill ~ said...

Beautiful!!! :)

Christina said...

Rhoda,

I love your chandelier. You did an amazing transformation to it. Love the shades too--they are just perfect.

Looks great in your guest room.